[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point do we take Leicester seriously?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4
File: leicester-city-case-study-logo.jpg (99 KB, 900x701) Image search: [Google]
leicester-city-case-study-logo.jpg
99 KB, 900x701
How long do they have to be at the top before they stop being this season's Southampton and become legit title contenders?
>>
get to March and still be top 3 and at max 2-3 points behind then they are serious contenders
>>
Until about 5 games left
>>
~25th week
>>
After the Christmas period
>>
>>64063790
late February
>>
Never
>>
>>64063803
This
>>
If their still top on christmas after the run of games they have got coming up then they are legit
>>
>>64063790
Right now, they have only lost 1 game.
>>
Results agains 'top' teams this season:

>Leicester 2-5 Arsenal
>Leicester 1-1 Tottenham
>Leicester 1-1 Man Utd

Still to come before the end of the first half of the season:
>Leicester v Chelsea
>Liverpool v Leicester
>Leicester v Man City

They've never been contenders. The actual title favourites have just been inconsistent as fuck.
>>
>>64063790

some bookies have them 28/1 on for the title this morning, I'm seriously tempted to stick £20 on them it's not a bad bet
>>
>>64063909
If the others are shit, then why can't they contend?
>>
>>64063790
If they're still up there mid-January, after the Christmas and New Year fixtures have taken place, then they'll probably have a good chance at top 4 at least.
>>
>>64063921
Being inconsistent doesn't mean being shit, you doofus. It's only a matter of time before one of them steps up their game and starts racking up the wins.
>>
>>64063909
>Leicester v Chelsea
kek
>>
>>64063790

I hope they win and Chelsea get relegated, it would be the greatest premier league season of all time
>>
If they're still in the Top 3 after 19 games, AND they manage to hold on to Vardy and Mahrez through the transfer window, then they're for real
>>
>>64064036

I reckon Vardy and Mahrez will see this season out for sure, they will most likely go next summer if Leicester don't win the league. Getting CL football might be enough to get them to stay though.
>>
>>64064067
I think they'll stay even if they just manage the Europa League
>>
>>64064067

If Vardy and Mahrez play well enough for the whole season to get Leicester into the Europa League, never mind the Champions League, then they'll be gone in the summer for sure. Other clubs can just offer so much more money than Leicester, they'd be insane not to leave.
>>
>>64064080
I think Mahrez is gone.
>>
>>64063790
>Arsenal finish top 4 for over a decade
>never get considered a serious title contender

what about Leicester ?
>>
>>64064109
Wenger, your teams choke.
>>
>>64064092
>>64064081
>>64064080
>>64064067
Suppose you are Chelsea or Man United or Other Huge-mongous Club, how much do you offer as a transfer fee for Vardy and Mahrez
>>
>>64063911

Might as well

>city inconsistent
>Chelsea a non factor
>Manchester drawnited lagging
>arselel
>klopp before a chance at the market

They actually have a shot with City being their only real threat assuming they get their shit together
>>
>>64064109

Arsenal is considered a title contender nearly every season.
>>
>>64064081

Well the new TV deal kicks in next season and every prem club will basically get £150m+ each, so I don't think money will be an issue. You;ve started to see the effectes of it this season as some of the so called 'lesser clubs have managed to hold onto their star players who were wanted by the big boys. It will be even more pronounced next year.
>>
>>64064128

Assuming that they both continue to play this well for the entire season? 20 million for Vardy, 25 million for Mahrez.
>>
>>64064138
This this this
Unless someone literally breaks the bank with a transfer fee, Leicester are going to ride the Mahrez/Vardy magic for as long as they possibly can, especially if they manage to keep a CL/EL spot
>>
>>64064138
>Well the new TV deal kicks in next season and every prem club will basically get £150m+ each, so I don't think money will be an issue. You;ve started to see the effectes of it this season as some of the so called 'lesser clubs have managed to hold onto their star players who were wanted by the big boys. It will be even more pronounced next year.

You're right. I completely forgot about that. And the rule that clubs can only raise their wage bills 4 million per year from tv money will prevent the big clubs from just swooping in and poaching players.
>>
>>64064205
Welcome to a Golden Age of Parity, enjoy it while it lasts
Also, a million keks that Chelsea has picked literally the worst possible time to fall off the table
>>
>>64064130
wtf you say?
city inconsistent?
we don't have aguero, kompany, toure, nasri and silva is just back from an injury. arsenal is pretty much in the same position. I see arsenal and city being top contenders this season, however i'd absolutely take leicester winning this season as i like seeing good football and surprises. also chelsea relegated.
>>
>>64064205
Lads, are we transitioning into a new era? Chelsea faltering, Liverpool still shit, the small clubs are becoming mega rich.

Is it time for Sheffield Wednesday to win the premier league?
>>
>>64064222
>Welcome to a Golden Age of Parity, enjoy it while it lasts

Not really parity, more like 4 or 5 title contenders instead of just 2 or 3.
>>
>>64063821
Norwich were 1st on christmas once lol.
>>
>>64064236
and yet, one of them is Leicester, a team which barely escaped relegation last year
I'm not saying EVERY team WILL have a chance, but ANY team COULD
>>
>>64064222
But they get rid of two players like Costa and Cesc, and that's already £400k + a week off the wage bill. It won't be a problem for them
>>
>>64064259
Costa is soooooo gone during this next window
>>
Are Mahrez and Vardy better than players like say: Martial, Depay, De Bruyne, Hazard, Sanchez, etc?

I mean they are killing them in stats and their team is outperforming others. They all play in the same league too so this is not an unfair comparison.
>>
>>64064286

Unfair comparison when Leicester only has the league to focus on while those players have to compete in the CL too.

Same question as last season when Aguero and Suarez were competing. One of them wasn't in two competitions at the same time.
>>
>>64064286
would put Sanchez and De Bruyne ahead of those two, probably also Hazard, who seems to be a casualty of the Chelsea shitshow
>>
>>64064281
Only if Chelsea find a suitable replacement.
>Griezmann
>Lacazette
>Vardy
>Kane
>>
>>64064286
Hazard is shit
>>
>>64064308
Spurs also on the rise, they won't sell Kane while they're still in the CL hunt
>>
>>64064286
Better than Depay yes, better than Martial currently, probably, but he has more "potential"

As for the others no, but they are in a system that fits them well, Mahrez could be world class, if he moves to a big club we'll find out. Vardy is already 28 so it's too late for him.
>>
>>64064317
I can't see them holding onto Kane forever. At some point the bigger English clubs will want to have him, and there won't be much they can do if they aren't making the CL. Unless he happens to be a really loyal player (and they give him a massive contract)
>>
File: marshall mathers.gif (2 MB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
marshall mathers.gif
2 MB, 294x233
>>64064318
>mfw I fell for the Depay ruse this year
>>
>>64064324
Kane to Liverpool after they sell benteke this window.
>>
>>64064298
>>64064306
So you're telling me that if you were to make a squad from scratch, you'd pick Hazard, Sanchez and De Bruyne over Mahrez and Vardy. Why? These players can't even perform when playing around quality players, what makes you think they are capable of putting the team on their back? Not to mention they are worth probably 10 times more than Vardy and Mahrez.

Personally, if I need two players that will both get 15-20 goals per season, I'll take em anyway over the "potential" of other players.
>>
File: crotch-chop.jpg (35 KB, 273x409) Image search: [Google]
crotch-chop.jpg
35 KB, 273x409
>>64064332
>Kane to Liverpool
>>
>>64064333
>rating players this highly after a good half season performance
>>
>>64064329
Even on FM he fades to obscurity after 24 or so. The guy has terrible mental attributes tbqh, blame his black dad who abandoned him I suppose.
>>
>>64064333
>you'd pick Hazard, Sanchez and De Bruyne

Yeah probably

>Hazard
>POTY last season for Chelsea
>Sanchez
>Arsenals best player last season and starter for Barcelona
>De Bryune
>Top assister in Europe last season

These three players are world class despite their current form. I don't know enough about the others but I wouldn't gamble on them in the long run because I don't know enough about them.
>>
Seasons contenders are historically decided by February.
>>
>>64064333
If you were to sell Hazard you'd get £60+ million for him. If you were to sell Vardy you'd get at most £25 million or so.
>>
>>64064332

There's no way that Kane would go to Liverpool. The only English clubs who have a shot at him (assuming he continues to improve) are Manchester City and Manchester United. The execs at Tottenham and Chelsea have some kind of silly feud going, and Arsenal isn't happening for very obvious reasons.
>>
>>64064414
>arsenal for obvious reasons
>implying Sol Campbell
>>
>>64064453
Exactly, they'll be sure to not let it happen again.
>>
>>64064453
Sol Campbell seemed surprised (and still seems surprised, the stupid fuck) at the level of hatred he got for doing that. There's no way that anyone is stupid enough to make that mistake now that they've seen what happens.
>>
>>64063790
We remember who their manager is and then come back to reality.
>>
>>64064476
>>64064453
But he's Sol Campbell
>>
>>64064222
>>64064226
>>64064205

it will certainly be more possible for the 'lesser' clubs to compete for trophies now, but I expect the really stupidly rich ones, like man utd, man city and Chesea (unless they get relegated topkek) to still be way ahead of the others in terms of spending power
>>
>>64064205
>And the rule that clubs can only raise their wage bills 4 million per year from tv money will prevent the big clubs from just swooping in and poaching players.

And that rule only applies to clubs that have wage bills over 60 million already. So Leicester could probably increase their wage bill by a lot more than 4 million.
>>
>>64064286

Sanchez is the best player in the league for me so no not in his case

The others on current form it's hard to argue with that assessment however I believe the likes of Memphis, Martial, De Bruyne and Hazard have more potential and natural ability than Mahrez and Vardy
>>
>>64064519
you will still tend to see the familiar faces up top every year, but do also expect more Leicester-type runs in the coming years
>>
File: andy.jpg (77 KB, 532x567) Image search: [Google]
andy.jpg
77 KB, 532x567
>>64064414
>Kane to United
>Spurs sign Vardy as replacement
mfw they both flop hard
>>
m8s, I know Atletico were a bigger team than Leicester, but we all thought they would fall in 2013-14 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_La_Liga) and they ended up winning the league and becoming a decent team. Don't underestimate them.
>>
They have the top two scorers in the league
Kante would start for any team in the league.
The rest of their squad is full of solid players. Kasper, Morgan, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Huth, Simpson, Fuchs. All decent. The defence isn't the best but their is no glaring weakness.

Their only problem is a small squad. They can't afford any injuries.

Reminder that they stayed up in spite of Nigel Pearson. That had a good team last year but a shit manager.

If they stay fit they will finish top 4. Assuming they keep their players in the January.
>>
>>64064570
Montpelier in Ligue 1 11/12 would be a better comparison, Atletico were already in and around the top 3 but Montpelier came out of nowhere.
>>
>>64064570
>lel liga

haha, come on lad, we are talking about a real league here.
>>
>>64064580
>this flag
>this topic
>>
>>64064570

Not really the same though, Atletico were already a decent team before that (although nowhere near Real/Barca, of course). The equivalent of Atletico winning it imo would be Tottenham or Liverpool.
>>
Leicester reminds me of Real Sociedad from that Nihat/Kovacevic season.
>>
>>64064576
>tfw i remember those last 2 games watching them in the center of town cause they put a giant screen there

was fucking amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibQHi9uBTY8
brings a tear to my eye when i watch it today

and it was on my birthday
>>
>>64064580
stop
>>
>>64064575

>no glaring weakness

they're pretty bad at dealing with corners
>>
>>64064659
>le amerikek trying to look for his european friends
>>
>>64064651
>tfw giroud - belhanda was your vardy - mahrez
>>
When they reach 6 points from the 2nd place.
>>
>>64064694
basically, we had a solid back 4 too, hilton who is still playing att 38 one of the best defenders in ligue 1, and yanga-m'biwa was probably our best player that year, as crazy as it may sound today, he actually played for the french team after that year.
estrada was hitting free kicks, i dont even know what happened to him, we had cabella who was like 20, our keeper was and still is one of the best french keepers.
i miss this team so much it hurts
>>
If they're still top 4 in february
>>
Leicester are doing well, but they've also benefited from a schedule that has a lot of the big games near the end of the half, which they are now about to face. If they make it past those games still near or at the top then they are for real.
>>
>>64064332

>taking a sideways career move from his comfy hometown club that plays regularly in Europe to Death-threat FC

they'd need to at least double his wages
>>
Boxing day.

Always boxing day.
>>
>>64064834

>Londonistan
>comfy

pick only one my muslim friend
>>
>>64065001
Yeah I'm sure the footballers live in Tower Hamlets and Peckham
>>
>>64063909
>chelshit
>top team
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.