[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When is it okay to run up the score?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 42-13.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
42-13.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>
All the time in pros or college
>>
>>64061043
this

the only time its not ok is peewee
>>
Anything but maybe games between children
>>
Because the game isn't over until it's over.
>>
From one point of view, all the time. If one team is just simply getting out played, let the final score reflect how they got btfo. The only times I'd say no is during a playoff game. Not smart to risk injury before you get the trophy.
>>
>>64061054

Nah, children should learn to deal with others being better than them. It's good for their development and eager to improve themselves. My soccer team was terrible, and we would regularly lose by more than 10 goals. So we dealt with it, and laugh about how shit we were to this day. Idk why grown men in North America cry poor sportsmanship over this. If you didn't want to lose 63-6, perhaps you should not have played as shitty as you did.
>>
>>64061293
in america we see competitions between children as something fun for them to do. not a chance to teach them about humility and their place in the world. it's not serious and nothing is on the line.
>>
>>64061293
Theres a difference between learning to suffer a loss and having your nose rubbed in it.

I agree with what youre saying for the most part but a child isnt going to comprehend a blow out as well as an adult who gets the bigger picture. I think participation trophies are stupid before you call me a pussy Lib.
>>
>>64061293
what did you gain by laughing and forgetting about it. that means you don't want to improve. that contradicts your entire point
>>
>>64061022
It is always okay if it is personal; no matter the level. Happens all the time in high school when a coach for a shit team says something stupid about a good team. We always did this on our high school football team.

But you have to be smart. There is a point where you are no longer running up the score, you are just endangering your players. Besides, you might have a star on the bench and not know it.
>>
Everytime in soccer.

Trust me, goal differential is an important and metric.
>>
>Please don't run up the score, my 300lbs guys have delicate and fragile personalities!
>>
>>64061049
Then don't cry when the losing team intentionally targets your starters for injuries.

Now if it's your second or third stringers running up the score, then there's no excuse.
>>
>>64061480
big guys have feelings too

Check your thin privilege
>>
>>64061495
as long as score remains an option for tiebreakers running up the score should not only be acceptable it should be encouraged.
>>
>>64061347

What? We did improve over the years though, although we never got _good_. More importantly we learned to deal with it. I don't see why laughing about how bad you were years after contradicts my point.

It's better to lose 13-1 knowing the score reflected the performance, than having the opponent showing mercy and passing the ball around at 4-1.
>>
File: run up the score.jpg (290 KB, 1098x765) Image search: [Google]
run up the score.jpg
290 KB, 1098x765
when you're playing against Jim Harbaugh
>>
>>64061665
the captions on this pic were from a brady belicheck pic

poor form seafag why would you want to be reminded of the superb owl like that
>>
with the way the seahawks are giving it up in the 4th quarter this season I wouldn't call it running up the score as much as I'd call it insurance.
>>
in soccer you kind of have to do it.

imagine you held back the second to last game of the season and you only win by one the next game, meanwhile the second place team btfo their opponents and wins the league by GD
>>
It's never not okay.
>>
File: kam_bam3.png (2 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
kam_bam3.png
2 MB, 1500x1000
>>64061022
Its cool when you're the based Hawks and nobody can do shit about it.
>>64061495
Then dont cry when Kam literally kills all of your starters just because thats what he does, hes not throwing a tantrum trying to hurt people he just BTFO's naturally.
>>
>>64061022
always.
>>
>>64061347
i was in a similar situation as the guy you're replying to and i learned that i was/am a shit football player
>>
>>64061600
Kids sports aren't the fucking World Cup, you degenerate. So if your friend wants to play ping pong with you and you're much better, you just btfo him on every shot so he can't even rally or improve? See what I'm getting at? Just because the people you're playing aren't your best friends doesn't mean you have to be a cunt.

You play until you've secured victory, and then you allow their team and the worse players on your team to practice.
>>
>>64063340
theres nothing worse and i see it all the time with youth football. Team A is up and and whooping Team B. Mercy rule is in effect. Coach keeps starters in and kids who practice all week still dont get to play.
>>
you should always try your hardest to win, in Divegrass if you are 4-0 up at half time you shouldn't come out for the second looking to sit back and defend you should try to make it 8. and it shouldn't be looked down upon in handegg to run up the score, yes its putting the other team down, but they should be less bad. and if there ever was a time to score as many as possible it is against division rivals.

you never know when Goal Difference or Points Scored/TDs are going to come into play, the more points you score the better your chances.
>>
Does anyone remember the August 2001 Mariners-Indians game? The M's were up 12-0 after three innings, and 14-2 after six innings.

The Tribe came back and won 15-14.

You score whenever you can. Any sport, any level. It is up to the other team to stop you and score themselves.
>>
Is this a thing in american "sports"? Professional teams are supposed to tank just to make the game more interesting for the ad-watchers sitting on the couch?
>>
At what age are people calling kids? I've seen 14 yr olds play first grade cricket out west against 30yr old blokes trying to bounce them out, (deliberatly targetting the body).

Maybe in under 6's-8's or something, but after that yor only going to be causing more harm then good
>>
Once you're 15 it's okay in every situation
>>
NFL is too crazy to not run up the score. 3 TD lead in the fourth is nothing as the Pats showed last night.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.