[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interest in Hockey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: NHL_Logo_New2.jpg (196 KB, 1365x1024) Image search: [Google]
NHL_Logo_New2.jpg
196 KB, 1365x1024
I have never once been interested in following, participating, or spectating any sport. Ever. My hobbies are videogames and anime and I don't go outside much and have always stayed away from sports as a hobby.

However, Im beginning to suspect that I may have an interest in Hockey. If I had to pick a sport to follow, I think it would Hockey. Great. So Ive found something I can enjoy.

Problem is, I don't know the rules, understand the plays, know of any teams or players, nothing. I have no grasp on anything even slightly related to sports or hockey. All I know is that you get on the ice, skate around and use a stick to move a puck around.

So my question is, is there a website, video series, or explanation of any kind that could help me better understand the sport?

How do I find a team I like? How do I know who the good players are? How can I go from sitting in a dark basement to cheering rabidly in an arena for my favorite team?

Thanks for any pointers!
>>
fuck off, we dont want new fans
>>
>anything that can help me understand the sport?
You could look things up if you wanted but I would suggest just watching some games and learning from there.
>How do I find a team I like?
idk. If you really have no idea watch a game or two of all, if not, most teams and see who you like. Or go w/ a hometown team.
>How do I know who the good players are?
Study some stats. A great player to follow right now would be Patrick Kane.
>>
>>64015335
Play an NHL vidya game, it's how I got into handegg.
>>
Just kill yourself. How full of your own bullshit do you have to be to write like this?
>>
>>64015335
Youtube and pick a team near where you live. How hard is this?
>>
>>64017673
This. I basically only had seen some fights when I bought an NHL game and learned the rules and player names along the way. Only understanding football offside made the first months very frustrating, not understanding why I was called offside all the time. Also, this was still in the 2 line pass era and that rule was just awful
>>
>>64017842
>OP lives in Arizona
>>
where do you live
>>
>>64015335
>How do I find a team I like?
>"find a team"
I can already tell you're a faggot. You'll fit right in on /hoc/.
>>
File: image.png (134 KB, 1093x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.png
134 KB, 1093x1024
>>64015335
There is a team for weird faggots like you OP.
>>
File: kanelaugh.jpg (19 KB, 236x308) Image search: [Google]
kanelaugh.jpg
19 KB, 236x308
>>64018125
>>
File: stras.jpg (95 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
stras.jpg
95 KB, 640x360
Newfags normally like following exciting meme teams so I suggest pic related
>>
>>64015335
play the sport you idiot
>>
File: IMG_20151121_171047.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151121_171047.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2368
>>64015335
>tfw poor as fuck growing up and never got to play hockey
I would say just befriend people who are into hockey. You can just ask them if you don't understand something, most people are pretty friendly and will help you out.
>>
>videogames
>anime
>dont go outside

Fuck off neckbeard. Let me guess, you picked hockey because there's no "dindus filthy negros xD" right? Faggot.
>>
>>64017721
Huh?
>>
>>64018164
Nebraska
>>
>>64023072
Uhh, I like blacks.
>>
>>64015335
Do a bit of light leading on the history of the NHL on some wiki's, maybe watch some Doco's too, might interest you on the historic side and some of the old teams that are still around.

Just look up "famous" or "best" players or something too, they might get you invigorated in a team.

Or you can look up "best playoff stanley cup series" or whatever and watch that, get right into it. Good thing about hockey is that it's fairly simple to follow, like you said it's people with sticks moving a puck around. Anything technical the commentary will usually explain it, so best way of learning the rules is just watching it. Anything tricky pops up just google it.

Another good way to learn the rules is playing the NHL games.

The first team that I ever liked was the Hurricanes because the year after they won the cup was the NHL game I got and Staal was on the cover. Plus I also had my career team randomized and it picked them so I got to learn all the players real easy.

Then a couple years later and they were back to being shit and the next NHL game I got, my career team randomized to San Jose Sharks and i've liked them ever since. Even though they are dogpile shit at the moment.
>>
>>64018087
>2 line pass
Offsides did enough to end cherrypicking. All 2-line-pass did was end breakaways, which is really dumb because people love them.
>>
File: 1379389739608.png (128 KB, 406x328) Image search: [Google]
1379389739608.png
128 KB, 406x328
>>64015335
>What city are you from OP?

Now you know your favorite team that you secretly root for

>What city do you live in currently OP?

Now you know what city you bandwagon on when they're winning

>How can you tell what was a good play based on pure skill or some lucky bitch shit that wouldn't fly against a good team?

If your team scores it was all skill, if the other team scores it the refs fucked them

http://www.sbnation.com/

Go to this website and find your home team, and now your'e a fan. Congrats.
>>
>>64030961

Hey my school's city is on that map, neat
>>
>>64030961
>sbetanation
great website if you want to read "articles" about how hockey is racist and sexist and all the players are rapists
>>
The point of the game is to put the puck in the net.
That's literally it
Also you sound like a faggot, you'll fit in with The Pittsburgh Penguins
>>
>>64036989
How do I sound like a faggot and what did the penguins do to be considered faggots?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.