[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sport's lowest moments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: gijon1.jpg (52 KB, 455x271) Image search: [Google]
gijon1.jpg
52 KB, 455x271
>this triggers the Algerian

Let's have a thread of some of the great sporting controversies and disgraces, /sp/. I'm starting with the Anschluss of Gijon:

It was the last game of Group 2 in the 1982 World Cup in Spain, played in the city of Gijon. The group stood like this:

Austria - 1st, needs only to not lose by more than 3-0 to Germany to advance.

Algeria - 2nd, needs either West Germany to lose, draw, or win by more than 3-0 to qualify.

West Germany - 3rd, needs to win to qualify.

Chile - 4th (already eliminated).

Algeria had become the first African team to defeat a European team at the World Cup, and the first African team to win twice.

But it was not to be. Germany scored early in the first half, and thereafter both teams decided to run the clock down by passing among themselves rather than try to score, in a case of spontaneous match-fixing.

The Algerian press called it 'the Anschluss'. Outraged Spanish fans chanted 'Algeria, Algeria', 'let them kiss', and waved banknotes at the players. Both German and Austrian commentators refused to commentate on the game, and the national papers called it a disgrace.

There was no happy ending, unfortunately: Algeria next met Germany in 2014, whereupon they were pumped 2-1 and Germany went on to win the tournament.

What are some other sporting scandals, /sp/?
>>
Denmark - Sweden 2 - 2, Euro 2004
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jun/18/euro-2012-sweden-denmark-2-2
>>
>>63844936
Why would they call it the anschluss?
Makes no sense to me right now
Are you sure they used this term?

Topic: zagreb - lyon in cl groups
Poor ajax
>>
File: Diego-Maradona-010[1].jpg (70 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
Diego-Maradona-010[1].jpg
70 KB, 620x372
>>
Argentina 6-0 Peru World Cup 1978

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2098970/Argentina-cheated-World-Cup-1978-says-Peru-senator.html
>>
>>63845002
>Makes no sense to me right now
Austria submitting to Germany. What else do you need to know
>>
>>63844936
>What are some other sporting scandals, /sp/?

You already know it m8
>>
>>63845026
Ok i googled it
Makes sense with the ww2 backround
>>
File: FIX4.jpg (163 KB, 604x450) Image search: [Google]
FIX4.jpg
163 KB, 604x450
>>63845002
>>
Messi being given drugs to become a god tier player. Not really sure why this was allowed.
>>
South Africa - France

Rugby world cup 1995 semi-final in South Africa. And to add insult to injury, the South African federation officially thanked the ref after the world cup for his great contribution and offered him a gold watch on a scene, and holidays in a South African resort.
As the massive amount of refball was barely enough for them to win, they just food-poisoned NZ for the final.
One of the most obviously and politicaly corrup world cup ever, all sports included. Back then in 95, in the aftermath of the end of the appartheid, it was way too important, on the world political scene, to let South Africa winning their home world cup.
>>
>>63845123
growth drugs that the body produces naturally on people without his disease to achieve the levels we do normally (still not enough, he is a manlet with no chin).
>>
>>63845123
I wonder why those drugs literally only work on him
>>
File: France-v-Ireland[1].jpg (92 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
France-v-Ireland[1].jpg
92 KB, 1200x630
The whole world recoiled in horror, even a french man beside me spat out his frogs legs in disgust, "sacré bleu!" he expelled!!
>>
>>63845123
It's a very common treatment on kids yet somehow only Messi became great at football. You can see him already dribbling kids left and right before he was given any treatment at newells.
>>
>>63845158

Different people have different level of hormones it is still illegal in all sports it just didn't matter cause he was young apparently. Teams should just start giving all kinda drugs to players in their academies.

>>63845164

Not everyone is given them obviously.
>>
Marseille buying games in the early 90's

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-story-of-marseilles-tainted-1993-cup-triumph-2222683.html
>>
>>63845184
>Not everyone is given them obviously.
there aren't any other manlets given them who also play football?
>>
>>63845181

Yes the drugs themselves contain football talent I obviously meant that, fuck off Spain. He was a good footballer without drugs and with drugs he became great.
>>
File: arsene-wenger.jpg (1 MB, 2400x1724) Image search: [Google]
arsene-wenger.jpg
1 MB, 2400x1724
>>63845184
>Teams should just start giving all kinda drugs to players in their academies.

oh you sweet innocent child
>>
>>63845184
GH doesn't make you good at football you fag
>>
>>63845002
>>63845026
In germany it's called the "Nichtangriffspakt von Gijon".
>>
>>63845200
His hormone levels were never above anybody of his age yet somehow that made him better than the rest? You really have no clue how that kind of therapy works.

If hormone therapy made players better Cristiano would be the best and not the hack he is.
>>
>>63845054
looks over to me laddio
>>
>>
>>63844936
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6MIBiVtYT8

saw it live on tv and was kekking hard
>>
>>63845293
You should go see a doctor and get your eyes checked.
>>
>>63845271

>drugs improving physical performance won't improve your sporting ability

Use your brain.
>>
File: hahahahahhah.gif (3 MB, 263x150) Image search: [Google]
hahahahahhah.gif
3 MB, 263x150
>>63845350
>i don't know what i'm talking about
lel just hide urself fag
>>
>South Korea's many scandals not listed within the first 3 posts

These fuckers are that much of a disgrace, you can't even decide which incident was worse.

I personally felt like the Roy Jones Jr incident was by far the worst offense. Shit was so bad, even the judges admitted shortly after they awarded Park the victory to not upset home crowd.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.