[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NCAAFag thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 12
File: exciting.jpg (34 KB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
exciting.jpg
34 KB, 576x324
Why CFB pales in comparison to NFL.
Over 1/3 of the top 300 high school recruits went to the 13 teams in the SEC conference.
0 went to the entire MAC, Sun Belt and USA conferences.

Why do you hate CFB?
>>
>the best players went to the best programs

SHOCKING
>>
>>63836146
>implying that doesn't create a monopoly on talent....
>>
Moved to Columbus and everyone loves college football, but there are a few things I don't understand or think are just fucking stupid.

Like OP said, the talent get concentrated at the top. I wouldn't have a problem with this if college football had promotion/relegation, but as it is, we have to watch OSU play some bullshit team like Hawaii where the spread is 42 points.

Something I don't understand is that last year OSU lost to a bad VT team early on and then won out which was enough for them to get into the playoffs. This year they lose to a decent MSU team late in the year and will most likely miss out. They have a "better loss" but it's considered a worse season. Why does when you lose in the season mean more than who you lose to?

Finally, after all the programs which have been busted for academic violations, paying players, ect., I refuse to believe that anyone who wins a championship did so with a clean program. The NCAA reserves the right to retroactively remove titles from teams that cheated (imo everyone), and so they could take a title away from anyone if they want to dig deep enough.
>>
>>63836785
Last year, Ohio State won the Big Ten championship (in convincing fashion). The loss to Michigan State means they don't control their own destiny in winning the league now. No one should get into the playoff (which is in its second year, so we don't know a lot about its trends) if they can't even win their conference.
>>
>>63836835
Does this mean that barring an epic collapse, the non-conference part of the schedule is meaningless?
>>
>>63836131
>Over 1/3 of the top 300 high school recruits went to the 13 teams in the SEC conference.
>0 went to the entire MAC, Sun Belt and USA conferences.

Stars and recruiting ranks mean next to nothing in college football. Tons of teams that are loaded with 4* and 5* talent do absolutely nothing with it, while other teams that have nothing but 2* and 3* talent run the table.
>>
>>63837271
>while other teams that have nothing but 2* and 3* talent run the table.
Like?
>>
>>63837752
TCU and Baylor build their entire rosters on the backs of 2* and 3* recruits. Baylor has one 5* and fourteen 4* recruits, and they're rated 31st in talent composite. TCU has zero 5* and seven 4* recruits, and they're rated 41st in talent composite. And yet, they're both consistently some of the best teams in the country.

Meanwhile, USC has ten 5* and fourty-two 4* recruits (2nd composite). Auburn has six 5* and fourty-two 4* recruits (sixth composite). Georgia has eight 5* and thirty-seven 4* recruits (seventh composite). Michigan has two 5* and fourty-three 4* recruits (ninth composite). Texas A&M has nine 5* and thirty-three 4* recruits (tenth composite). Texas has two 5* and fourty 4* recruits (eleventh composite). All of these schools are demonstrably worse than TCU or Baylor.
>>
>>63837752
iowa doesnt have great talent
granted their schedule isnt the best and this is definetly a fluke year, but they're still undefeated
>>
>>63838420
>only fourteen 4 star recruits......
>ONLY
>>
>>63838458
>granted their schedule isnt the best and this is definetly a fluke year
No comment needed.
>>
>>63838420
Just because it doesn't perfectly correlate to team success, doesn't mean there isn't a monopoly on the talent.
Try again.
>>
File: stunned.png (398 KB, 763x335) Image search: [Google]
stunned.png
398 KB, 763x335
>>63836785
>Like OP said, the talent get concentrated at the top. I wouldn't have a problem with this if college football had promotion/relegation, but as it is, we have to watch OSU play some bullshit team like Hawaii where the spread is 42 points.

Parity has been increasing in CFB for years. You're still much more likely to see an upset watching college games than pro. Scholarship limits also make more of even field, a lot of 4 star prospects don't want to go sit on a bench for two years for some blue blood project when they can be playing elsewhere. The current transfer rules should be changed though.

>Something I don't understand is that last year OSU lost to a bad VT team early on and then won out which was enough for them to get into the playoffs. This year they lose to a decent MSU team late in the year and will most likely miss out. They have a "better loss" but it's considered a worse season. Why does when you lose in the season mean more than who you lose to?

The VT loss was out of conference so it wasn't as bad, they were still able to win the BI6 outright, which is one of the highest criteria for the playoff committee.
>>
>>63838692
>You're still much more likely to see an upset watching college games than pro
That is just statistically not true.

> Scholarship limits also make more of even field, a lot of 4 star prospects don't want to go sit on a bench for two years for some blue blood project when they can be playing elsewhere.
The draft makes an even more level field than any of that. Sorry.

>which is one of the highest criteria for the playoff committee.
Playoff committee
kek
>>
>>63838472
And yet they do more with that than countless other teams with more talent. Houston has zero 5*, two 4*, and fourty-four 3* recruits (ranked 71st composite) on their team and are 11-1. They raped Vanderbilt 34-0, even though Vanderbilt has eight 4* and sixty-four 3* recruits (44th composite).

>>63838581
Yeah, there are large schools that have monopolies on high school talent in their region. However, I wasn't ever arguing against that. I was saying that high school rankings are a silly metric to use; plenty of schools do amazing things with less stars around their roster. It's like how NFL teams like the Jags, Lions, and Browns constantly get their pick of the litter throughout each draft and do absolutely nothing with it.
>>
>>63838768
Upsets may happen more often in CFB just to the sheer number of games played
But another thing is that CFB upsets can also be incredibly huge. Like if the Pats lost to the Jags this year its embarrasing, but who really cares aside from shitposters by that time next year. On the other hand muh blooblood Michigan lost to fucking App State and still havent lived that down years later
>>
>>63838868
No, it's nothing like the draft.
College players don't need as much development as NFL players.
Period.
It's not even up for debate.
Smaller schools will never have the chance to get 5 star recruits like Kent State, Florida International or Eastern Carolina, so they don't have "the pick of the litter"
They have and always will get scraps.
>>
>>63838956
>Upsets may happen more often in CFB just to the sheer number of games played
Of course by sheer numbers, who gives a shit about that.
By that logic, more boring, predicted games happen too.

>On the other hand muh blooblood Michigan lost to fucking App State and still havent lived that down years later
18-1?
>>
>cfb has at least one good game per time slot
>most of the NFL's afternoon slot of games have been snoozefests
>cfb has 4 GOAT endings in 4 weeks (Michigan punter, Miami/Dook, GT blocked FG, Arkansas 4th & 18)
>NFL hasn't had one since the Superb Owl
>>
>>63839073
>cfb has at least one good game per time slot
Even if it was true, which it isn't.
It makes up for 5973496879834057 other blowouts?

>>most of the NFL's afternoon slot of games have been snoozefests
muh "at least one good game per time slot"

>cfb has 4 GOAT endings in 4 weeks (Michigan punter, Miami/Dook, GT blocked FG, Arkansas 4th & 18)
Shows college's underdeveloped defensive mind-set, lack of discipline and unskilled players.....?
*clap* *clap* *clap*
Niggers can't even get a punt off....
>>
>>63838974
You're missing my point. I'm conceding that, yes, certain flagship schools have monopolies on high school talent. However, like the NFL, it depends on a lot more factors than just how much talent they can acquire every year. It's just like how Florida can draw in as much talent as they want, yet has never sent a quarterback to be successful in the NFL. Meanwhile, Miami (OH) competes with 5 other schools for the scraps that Ohio State leaves behind, and yet they sent Ben Roethlisberger to the NFL. It's just like how the Patriots took a 6th round pick named Tom Brady and turned him into one of the best quarterbacks the NFL has ever known.

My point is that the amount of stars that a school can attract doesn't always correlate to success. It's like when Michigan, one of the most overwhelming superpowers in college football history, ranked #5 at the time, lost to a lower-division school who was unknown until they played Michigan. Michigan could have had any player in the state and any surrounding state (except Ohio) that they wanted, but they got beaten by a school that wasn't even a cliffnote in North Carolina's college football landscape.
>>
>>63839211
>It makes up for 5973496879834057 other blowouts?
it does, it's called changing the channel to whatever good game is on
>>
>>63836192
They choose whether or not it does

Sorry they can't have commie style drafts
>>
>>63839256
>They choose whether or not it does
Explain.
>>
>>63836785
>promotion and relegation in college sports

Get the fuck outta here
>>
>>63839256
>However, like the NFL, it depends on a lot more factors than just how much talent they can acquire every year
Not much more.
Doesn't matter who coached Fournette, he would fuck everybody up the ass.
Cam Newton was basically sold by his father to whoever wanted a national championship.

>It's just like how Florida can draw in as much talent as they want, yet has never sent a quarterback to be successful in the NFL.
That doesn't make shit for sense.
If anything, it proves how much more good coaching is needed in the NFL, not NCAA.

>Meanwhile, Miami (OH) competes with 5 other schools for the scraps that Ohio State leaves behind, and yet they sent Ben Roethlisberger to the NFL. It's just like how the Patriots took a 6th round pick named Tom Brady and turned him into one of the best quarterbacks the NFL has ever known.
1) being relevant for 1 year does not make up for 100+ combined years of irrelevancy.
2) point? No college player develops like that. And a Big Ben recruit isn't normal at all and you know it.

>My point is that the amount of stars that a school can attract doesn't always correlate to success
Always? No.
Usually? Yes.

>It's like when Michigan, one of the most overwhelming superpowers in college football history, ranked #5 at the time, lost to a lower-division school who was unknown until they played Michigan
Will you shut the fuck up about the App state game, jesus fucking christ......
A once in a decade upset doesn't make up for 99% chance of winning by other teams in similar situations.
>>
>>63836131
How many went to Iowa? They are ranked #4. How about Michigan State, Stanford and Oklahoma State? They are all in the top 13. When was the last time an SEC team won a Championship? 2012.

The conferences you list are filled with literally who tier football programs. They don't have the fanbase, they don't spend the money on top facilities or coaching staffs. They don't get a bunch of TV money like teams in the "Power 5" conferences do. It's obvious to anyone that knows anything about CFB why the Sun Belt is the Sun Belt and the SEC is the SEC.

I could explain how exciting a season of CFB is because of how unpredictable it is week to week, but I'd just be wasting my time and you're already making me miss a good game with your shit thread.
>>
>>63839526
>Doesn't matter who coached Fournette, he would fuck everybody up the ass.
Except he hasn't done that
>>
File: yeah, okay.gif (834 KB, 211x245) Image search: [Google]
yeah, okay.gif
834 KB, 211x245
>>63839622
ONE.
YEAR.
DOES.
NOT.
MAKE.
UP.
FOR.
100+
YEARS.
OF.
IRRELEVANCY.

>How many went to Iowa?
As was already pointed out in thread :"granted their schedule isnt the best and this is definetly a fluke year"

>How about Michigan State, Stanford and Oklahoma State?
10?
That's alot dude.....

>When was the last time an SEC team won a Championship? 2012.
OH WOW, 3 YEARS, GUESS I WAS WRONG, PACK IT UP BOIS!!!!!
Really, dipshit?
2 years? THAT'S your argument? 2 years and that's it?

>The conferences you list are filled with literally who tier football programs
Exactly my point.....

>They don't have the fanbase, they don't spend the money on top facilities or coaching staffs. They don't get a bunch of TV money like teams in the "Power 5" conferences do. It's obvious to anyone that knows anything about CFB why the Sun Belt is the Sun Belt and the SEC is the SEC.
Because there is a monopoly on talent......

>I could explain how exciting a season of CFB is because of how unpredictable it is week to week,
>unpredictable
>CFB
Pick one.
Numerous perfect season tell you that it is not even remotely "unpredictable".

>Except he hasn't done that
1st in yards
4th in TDs
6.6 YPC
Pretty much 1st team all American, guaranteed 2nd team
>hasn't done that
>mrw I read that stupid shit that just came out of your stupid face.
>>
File: 493874008971.png (13 KB, 365x630) Image search: [Google]
493874008971.png
13 KB, 365x630
>>63839526
>Doesn't matter who coached Fournette, he would fuck everybody up the ass.
He isn't fucking everyone up the ass.
>Cam Newton was basically sold by his father to whoever wanted a national championship.
If you can use the "Big Ben recruit isn't normal" reasoning, I can say the same for Cam. He's an anomaly in terms of athletic ability.

>If anything, it proves how much more good coaching is needed in the NFL, not NCAA.
>1) being relevant for 1 year does not make up for 100+ combined years of irrelevancy.
>2) point? No college player develops like that. And a Big Ben recruit isn't normal at all and you know it.
These are valid points. I'll concede these to you.

>Always? No.
>Usually? Yes.
See picture attached for the current standings.

>A once in a decade upset doesn't make up for 99% chance of winning by other teams in similar situations.
The Michigan-App. State game was the most exaggerated example of this, but it still holds truth about the state of college football. Great teams get taken down by worse teams all the time. Pete Carroll's USC teams were some of the most insanely talented teams ever composed, and yet one of the only teams who beat him multiple times from 2002-2009 was Oregon State. They were unranked both times they took down USC in that time span.
>>
>went to Colorado State

Pretty much sums it up right there. Guys on the team were cool though.
>>
>>63840078
>He isn't fucking everyone up the ass.
Because of that ONE 1.9 ypc game?
He's first in yardage, 4th in TD, 6.6 YPC and a guaranteed all american.
You're wrong.

>If you can use the "Big Ben recruit isn't normal" reasoning, I can say the same for Cam. He's an anomaly in terms of athletic ability.
That's not what I meant and you know it.
Schools don't get lucky with recruits like Ben to pull them out of relevancy for once this century frequently at all.

>See picture attached for the current standings.
And it shows that it usually does.......your point?

Not referring to the App vs Michigan game anymore, you whiny little faggot.
>>
>>63840078
Also notice all the missing talent composite rankings:

2. USC
5. LSU
6. Auburn
7. Georgia
10. Texas A&M
11. Texas
14. Tennessee
20. Miami
21. Penn State
22. South Carolina
25. Nebraska

All of these teams that rank within the top 25 of talent are currently unranked in playoff standings.
>>
>>63840277
That is by far the most autistic list I've ever seen, who even made something like that?
>>
>>63840277
It took me checking ONE team to see how bullshit that list is.
They count players that don't even play, such a red-shirted freshman and how much is a 5 star worth compared to a 3 star? They don't say anything, so I can't comment on that.
But counting players that don't automatically disregards this list.
>>
>>63840247
>Because of that ONE 1.9 ypc game?
No, because he got shut down the instant he faced a decent defense. The best defensive unit he played up until Alabama was Florida, who completely lacks at the linebacker position. Otherwise, the teams he played included the worst run defense in FBS football, two of the worst total defenses in the SEC, Syracuse, Mississippi State, and Western Kentucky.

>That's not what I meant and you know it.
Schools don't get lucky with recruits like Ben to pull them out of relevancy for once this century frequently at all.
Look at all the NFL starting quarterbacks who came from non-p5 schools:
Joe Flacco -- Delaware (FCS)
Andy Dalton -- TCU (MWC at the time)
Josh McCown -- Sam Houston (FCS)
Tony Romo -- Eastern Illinois (FCS)
Blake Bortles -- UCF (AAC)
Alex Smith -- Utah (MWC at the time)
Ryan Fitzpatrick -- Harvard (FCS)
Derek Carr -- Fresno State (MWC)
Case Keenum -- Houston (C-USA at the time)

>And it shows that it usually does.......your point?
14 out of the top 25 are more than ten places removed from where their talent composite is. One of those schools includes Navy, who recruits kids who know that they can't go to the NFL after college.
>>
>>63840367
>>63840431
Damn, anons, you can't even keep your argument consistent for more than like ten minutes.

>Durr teams have a monopoly on recruiting and it makes them better and they always win and there's no parity!
But no, look at this evidence that entirely contradicts that. Look at piece after piece of evidence showing that the most talented team doesn't always do better. In fact, the common thread among all the top performing teams is good coaching. Look at all these teams that have succeeded far more than teams that recruit MUCH better than them.
>B-but those players don't even play! Autism! Hurrrr durr!
You were just talking about recruiting mono-
>DEY NOT EVEN PLAY DEY DON'T COUNT!
They were still recrui-
>DEY. NOT. COUNT.
But it shows that the product on the field depends on more than ju-
>AUTISM!
>>
>>63840560
>No, because he got shut down the instant he faced a decent defense.
Which team.
Specifically which team.

Talking about college schools not be irrelevant for years and years and decades at a time.
Being successful in the NFL means absolutely nothing.
Next.

Just because it doesn't perfectly correlate to the top 25, doesn't mean there isn't a monopoly....
>>
>>63840672
>that the most talented team doesn't always do better.
Okay.
Let's end this.
Cause you keep bringing it up.
When did I say they *ALWAYS* do better.
Go ahead.
I'll wait.
Then I'll reply to the rest.
>>
>>63840672
Explain to me how recruiting matters if they are counting players that don't even play.

I love how you're trying to brush this point off like it's a small issue, but it's a MAJOR flaw in that list....
>>
>>63840699
>Which team.
Alabama: 19 carries, 31 yards (1.6ypc); 18 of those yards came from one rush
Arkansas: 4.8ypc
Ole Miss: 4.3ypc

Ever since he started facing half-decent defenses, he's been average at best.

>doesn't mean there isn't a monopoly
You MUST have a learning disability.
"I'm conceding that, yes, certain flagship schools have monopolies on high school talent."
"Yeah, there are large schools that have monopolies on high school talent in their region."
>>
>>63840784
>Ever since he started facing half-decent defenses, he's been average at best.
>4.3 and 4.8 ypc
>average at best
pick one

Okay, so there is a monopoly on talent.
CFB is shit, confirmed.

STILL waiting for you to tell me where I said the most talented teams *ALWAYS* do better, dipshit.
>>
>>63840718
We can end this as soon as you tell me when I denied the recruiting monopolies.

>>63840784
Because there are still schools out there that can afford to put 4* and 5* recruits on the bench for a year, yet somehow don't do as well as schools who struggle to get a single 4* recruit each year.
>>
>0 went to the MAC

>Arkansas still lost to Toledo

>>
>>63840950
Leonard Fournette hasn't been in the top 10 rushing statistics for runningbacks in any given week since he was ranked 10th in week 7.
>>
>>63840959
>We can end this as soon as you tell me when I denied the recruiting monopolies.
As soon as you tell me where I said the most talented teams *ALWAYS* do the best.

>Because there are still schools out there that can afford to put 4* and 5* recruits on the bench for a year, yet somehow don't do as well as schools who struggle to get a single 4* recruit each year.
>somehow
MAYBE BECAUSE THE RECRUITS AREN'T PLAYING, YOU FUCKING MORON.
Jesus, do you hear yourself talk?
>DUUUURRR WHY ISN'T LEONARD PLAYING WELL FOR THE BROWNS?????
>cause he doesn't play for them
>BUT WHY?????????
>CAUSE HE ISN'T PLAYING
>DUUUR BUT DRAFT PICKS
Do you see what you're saying?
You're counting players that aren't even playing.
Fucking retard.....
>>
>>63836131
>not loving both the NFL and cfb
what are you, a communist?
>>
>>63841033
Top leading rusher this season.......irrelevant.

>>63841004
>Arkansas still lost to Toledo
Literally not one of those 2015 recruits has played yet.
I don't know why you NCAAFags insist on counting players that haven't played yet, but well.......they don't count.....
And for the 83856892365861345780631650136597863485763478965917364570165863406537846959863495786341956136459786576139659136587160576347856013786450781634506134586038465083465083640587603478568364th time.
Being relevant for 1 year does not make up for 100+ combined years of irrelevancy.
>>
>>63841075
>wanting to see inferior athletes
What are you, a WNBA fan?
>>
>>63841086
>Being relevant for 1 year does not make up for 100+ combined years of irrelevancy.
It does for those players who worked harder than you ever will
>>
>>63841105
>It does for those players who worked harder than you ever will
Explain how that is the point at all?
>>
>>63841103
>inferior athletes
>always using this excuse
i swear you fags hate cfb because theres too many teams, MUH GEOGRAPHY, dont you want to see the future of the NFL?
>>
I think the athletes should get paid. Plus, my school pumps money into athletics and still loses money while one of my majors might be eliminated due to budget cuts. This wouldn't be too terrible if our football team has won exactly one fucking game. That whole thing has made me pretty bitter.
>>
>>63841131
>Implying it's not true
kek

>i swear you fags hate cfb because theres too many teams, MUH GEOGRAPHY
I'm in Columbus right now, going to OSU, I don't think I qualify for this excuse.
Good try though, always love NCAAFags making asses out of themselves.

>dont you want to see the future of the NFL?
Do you go to high school games?
DONT YOU WANT TO SEE THE FUTURE OF THE NCAA???
>>
>>63841156
Okay, you can fuck off now m8
>>
>>63841156
if your major is about to get cut off, its not a real major
>>
>>63841045
>MAYBE BECAUSE THE RECRUITS AREN'T PLAYING, YOU FUCKING MORON.
Right, because someone else ahead of them is better. Teams like USC can afford to bench and redshirt 5* recruits since they have so many others on the team to play instead. It's not like they're sitting those highly-touted players in favor of someone worse. The only reason those players are on the bench is because someone is BETTER than them. Teams like Washington (who beat them at home), however, don't have a single 5* recruit on their team. A recruit who would be considered 2nd or 3rd string on USC's team would be a starter at Washington.

So yes, I think we should count them even if they're on the bench, since the team clearly has so much other talent that those players aren't considered the best option available.

>DUUUURRR WHY ISN'T LEONARD PLAYING WELL FOR THE BROWNS?????
>cause he doesn't play for them
>BUT WHY?????????
>CAUSE HE ISN'T PLAYING
>DUUUR BUT DRAFT PICKS
I thought that comparing college to the NFL wasn't valid according to you.
>>
>>63841188
>Do you go to high school games?
You dont occasionally go to your alma mater's games?
>>
>>63841239
Dude, I like college more than NFL but fuck going to your high school's games
>>
>>63841239
>You dont occasionally go to your alma mater's games?
Seeing as I don't fuck my sister, no.
>>
>>63841203
Why? Because of the 20k in loans and 24 hours a week busting my ass at work might be completely wasted because my school can't free up enough money for one full time professor? Meanwhile the football training facility has water fountains that dispense Gatorade and the administration decided to greenlight a new practice facility even though the current one was renovated literally last year. I have a right to be bitter and this is all the NCAA's fault.
>>
>>63841235
>Right, because someone else ahead of them is better.
Okay, so the 5 star recruit doesn't matter, if they are using him for a later year.....
List still has this MAJOR flaw.

>It's not like they're sitting those highly-touted players in favor of someone worse.
Like Thurman Thomas over Barry Sanders, right?

>The only reason those players are on the bench is because someone is BETTER than them
Not at all how it works, you casual fuck.

>So yes, I think we should count them even if they're on the bench
How's that extra chromosome doing?

>I thought that comparing college to the NFL wasn't valid according to you.
That would be the case if they were playing, but they aren't playing in both situations, so it doesn't matter.
You're still counting players......who don't play.
Like a dipshit, dipshit.
>>
>>63841354
1) yes
2) This thread isn't about paying athletes, treatment of athletes or college spending
3) start your own thread if you want to bitch.
4) what is your major, it has to be pathetic if it was cut.
>>
File: 5498743115649.gif (83 KB, 395x281) Image search: [Google]
5498743115649.gif
83 KB, 395x281
>>63841354
>going to a school without a profitable athletic program
You really brought this upon yourself.
>>
>>63841406

This thread is about why you hate college football. I posted my reasons. I'm dual majored in geology and Russian language with the Russian language being the one likely to get eliminated.
>>
>>63841432
What fucking shit school do you go to that can't even support Russian?

Don't blame the NCAA. It's probably the only reason your school gets donations.
>>
>>63841446
University of Wyoming. Student population of 11k. Somehow we're still division 1.
>>
File: fff.jpg (104 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
fff.jpg
104 KB, 1024x576
>>63841432

>This thread is about why you hate college football
Gameplay wise, you fucking moron.

Also....
>dual major
>geology
>russian language
>fucked up twice

>mrw when I heard your useless majors
Totally 150%, your fault, comrade.
>>
Oh look, it's a Eugene thread.
>>
>>63841507
>tfw Eugene will never calm down

also
GO GRIZZ
>>
>>63841494
Fine then. The quality of play is dogshit compared to the NFL. The Talent is concentrated in a few schools. Also, geology is a damn good degree, especially from Wyoming which has one of the best geology schools in the world.
>>
>>63841614
>geology is a damn good degree
Keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>63841649
Who do you think finds minerals and oil? The miners? Also, there are some damn cushy government geology positions. What do/did you study?
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 377x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 377x449
>>63841614
>geology
>>
>>63841685
Not him but petroleum engineer here geo is ok but you are the bitch of the oilfield and the gimp of the corporate oil and gas world.
>>
>>63841391
>Like Thurman Thomas over Barry Sanders, right?
Barry Sanders enrolled when Thurman Thomas was already a junior with 1st team All-American recognitions under his belt. You're talking about a competition between two future College Football HoF players who both could have easily been considered 1st round talent. So yes, starting the junior is generally what they do in a situation like that.

But if you were to talk about the amount of talent on the 1986 Oklahoma State Cowboys, you wouldn't count Barry Sanders because he was a backup? Well the fact that he was a backup shows how much talent the team had at that position beyond him, so it's fucking retarded to not count him. They were so loaded at runningbacks that they were able to bench Barry motherfucking Sanders. But in your retarded view, that doesn't matter and we shouldn't take that into account when discussing how much talent a team has.

No, the amount of talent is an aggregate measure of their recruiting ability, which is the entire point of this conversation. And you know what? Even with Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders, the 1986 Oklahoma State Cowboys still lost 5 god damn games that season. They lost to Tulsa and Houston that year.

>B-b-but tulsa and houston c-can't recruit! bahhhhh!
>>
>>63836882
Not at all. See: Stanford
>>
>>63841685
>there are some damn cushy government geology positions
Dreaming about being in a government position
KEK

Electrical Engineering, I decided to be useful.
>>
>>63838420
>Big XII
>Defeats baby teams and gets to 10-0
>Conference schedule backloaded
>WOW LOOK AT ALL THESE TALENTED TEAMS PLAYING EACH OTHER

Big XII is shit
>>
>>63841754
>Implying Thurman's entire career could stand up to a single one of Barry's games......

>So yes, starting the junior is generally what they do in a situation like that.
B-b-but they are only starting because they have somebody better than them D=

> you wouldn't count Barry Sanders because he was a backup?
YES.
YOU DON'T PLAY, YOU DON'T COUNT.
HOW IS THIS SO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?

>B-b-but tulsa and houston c-can't recruit! bahhhhh!
For the 83856892365861345780631650136597863485763478965917364570165863406537846959863495786341956136459786576139659136587160576347856013786450781634506134586038465083465083640587603478568365th time......
Being relevant for 1 year does not make up for 100+ combined years of irrelevancy.
>>
AIGHT HOL UP *smacks corn*
SO U BE SAYIN *gets a lifetime extension and $100 million buyout*
WE FINNA BE SOME TWELVE N OH PLAYOFF MUTHAFUCKAS
SHEEEEEEEEEEEIT
>>
>>63841889
>B-b-but they are only starting because they have somebody better than them D=
I doubt that, at the time, the difference between the two seemed as significant as it seemed today. If Barry Sanders hadn't joined a team that was so stable at the position, he'd have started no problem. But even barring that, how can you possibly bitch about us citing rare situations or exceptions to the rule as you cite a scenario in which a team had two future College and Professional HoF and multiple-time Pro Bowl runningbacks lined up on their roster? That's an exception to the rule if there ever was one, and yet you have no problem talking about it.

>YOU DON'T PLAY, YOU DON'T COUNT.
>HOW IS THIS SO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND
Okay. Let's forget all the players who are not starting.

Done. Okay. Forgotten. Now we're back to the meat of the issue: winning depends on a lot more than just recruiting well.

>B-but Ohio State and Alabama have the biggest recruiting monopolies and the best teams!
They also have the two best coaches in college football presently. Utah was 5-6 the year before Urban Meyer got there. He brought them to 10-2 in his first year and 12-0 in his second. LSU was 3-8 the year before Nick Saban got there. He brought them to 8-4 his first year, a sugar bowl win his second, and a national championship in his fourth. Alabama was 6-7 before Saban got there. He brought them to 12-2 by his second year and an undefeated national championship in his third.

Alabama and LSU were shit for long periods of time despite being flagship programs and having unlimited access to recruits and resources. In fact, having a good coach is almost everything. Miami sits in THE most fertile recruiting grounds in the country and was ruined in just a few years from a couple bad coaches. You can't keep calling these exceptions. I've named several huge cases.
>>
File: 12.jpg (11 KB, 229x221) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
11 KB, 229x221
>actually complaining about recruiting disparities

#FeelTheBern amirite
>>
>>63838420
>>63838581
>>63838868
>>63839526
Something you guys aren't considering is physical maturity in young athletes. A lot of those 4 and 5 star niggers just matured early.

A 3 star recruit now might only be low because of his size and he isn't done growing.

Jadeavon Clowney was supposed to be god's gift to the pass rush but he can't even stay on the field and is a non factor when he is on the field.

Khalil Mack and JJ Watt were 3 star nobodies and look at them now.
>>
>>63840784
Samaje Perine was a four star back and set the single game rushing record as a 19 year old true freshman. He graduated high school in May, and sat that record in November. How fucking insane is that?
>>
File: 1417636405648.jpg (115 KB, 686x391) Image search: [Google]
1417636405648.jpg
115 KB, 686x391
>mfw the first game of the next season will be played in Sydney

I'm confused
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/jarryd-haynes-nfl-adventure-helps-deliver-big-american-college-football-game-for-nsw/story-fni2flhh-1227626679443
>>
>>63847571
>Jarryd Hayne’s NFL adventure helps deliver big American College Football game for NSW
>big American
DO ALL OF YOU AUSTRALIANS MEET TO COORDINATE YOUR SHITPOSTING? UNBELIEVABLE

Also, it's not that rare to have a game outside the U.S. For teams travelling to Hawai'i, what's the difference?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_games_played_outside_the_United_States
>>
File: sparty.jpg (8 KB, 160x229) Image search: [Google]
sparty.jpg
8 KB, 160x229
>>63836131
Don't mind us we'll just be here taking your scraps and turning them into 5 star players while your 5 star recruits play like 3 star players..
>>
>>63847829
>Tanzania
The fuck? I don't watch college football so I wouldn't know. Don't know how many people will turn up to a non-NFL game.
>>
>>63847844
Enjoy losing to Pedo State today.
>>
>>63847924
Come on no one believes it's actually going to happen stop shitposting.
>>
>>63847891
Well, that wikipedia had attendance numbers for all those games. It's also really dependent on who's playing. As you can see, an FCS team (literal who) versus Mexican all-stars in Africa isn't a huge draw. But Navy-Notre Dame in Ireland is pretty good.

Cal is one of the larger teams. Hawaii is irrelevant. The attendance won't be what it would be for an NFL game in Australia. But in the U.S, the best college football teams have higher attendance/bigger stadiums than NFL teams
>>
>>63848074
Yeah there is some good numbers. The only NFL game we've had here was Broncos vs Chargers in 1999 when ANZ used to have a 110,000 attendance for the Sydney Olympics. That game had 73,811 people turn up which is pretty decent. Wonder if 'Hayne' and our local media who make him out as a messiah will affect it. Still don't mind watching a game.
>>
>>63839526
Wow SOMEBODY is anally upset about the App State game
>>
>>63839256
>'s just like how Florida can draw in as much talent as they want, yet has never sent a quarterback to be successful in the NFL

It's almost like they're choosing they're QBs based on their ability to perform at the college level, in which case they've had a lot of success. Also, I think Rex Grossman, Shane Matthews, and Steve Spurrier all had decent NFL careers.

Also, FWIW Jeff Driskel has more total passing yards and TDs in one year at LA Tech than he did in 4 years at Florida surrounded by top talent, and he was the nations best QB coming out of high school.
>>
File: Appalachain State.webm (1 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Appalachain State.webm
1 MB, 480x360
>>63848192
>Wonder if 'Hayne' and our local media who make him out as a messiah will affect it.
That's what somebody in that article you posted made it out to be.

Cal-Hawai'i should be a blowout, but it's not like you'll get a lot of other American football games there. If you want to get into college football before then, the last regular season/biggest games of the year are today and the College Football Playoff™ starts New Year's eve.

>>63848266
>J-just shut the fuck up about it, OK?
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.