[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where does Favre rank on the GOAT list? Despite everything he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (272 KB, 1344x1771) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
272 KB, 1344x1771
Where does Favre rank on the GOAT list? Despite everything he did he still seems to be ranked pretty low.
Let's think about this:
>literal iron man, tough as fucking nails
>consecutive start record that will probably never be beaten
Dude was in his 40s when finally called it quits and was still playing at the highest level
>played though everything possible, injuries, deaths of family members, drug addiction, etc
Remember that game after his father died? Exactly
>owned virtually every single QB record possible
M-muh interceptions. He play for 19 years! Of course he's going to throw that many. With that many attempts you're going to get interceptions. Elway is the most sacked of all time and now one cares.
>elite arm strength his whole career
Capable of and not afraid to make the throws other QBs couldn't dream of making.
>played the game because he loved it, not for money or fame
He retired and unretired because he's just a kid at heart and can't get enough of his favorite thing.
>2 Super Bowl appearances, winning one
Not to mention countless other playoff appearances and wins.
>no matter what, with him under center you felt like you had a chance to win, that somehow he would use his arm to make magic happen.

I wish there was a machine that could make his body young again to watch him play forever. His toughness and grit will probably never be seen again.
>>
GOAT imo
>>
>>63474393
I forgot to mention his 3 MVPs, his 11 pro bowls, leading the league in passing touchdowns 4 different seasons.
His young gun slinging years where he was throwing a ton of touchdowns and yards was in a different time before the rules changed that turned the NFL into an ultra pass happy league.
>>
>>63474393
>gay pride flag

go away, Rodgers
>>
Agreed senpai, favre is top 5
>>
Up there with Unitas and Montana. Brett Favre was the 90's superstar in NFL. I know he doesn't have the Peyton stats, but Favre wasn't a stats guy, he was a 'do whatever it takes to win' guy.
People also say he was a choker, but he was known as the most clutch player in the NFL during the first half of his career.
>>
top 5 all time. even if rodgers tied his superbowl appearances or won another ring, i'd still consider him better than rodgers. he has the one thing aaron lacks: competitive spirit
but at least we can watch andrew luck, who is like the second coming of favre
>>
>>63474393
No one was tougher than Favre
No one had more fun than Favre
No one took more chances than Favre
No one had a stronger arm than Favre

Gunslinger/10
Top 3 in my book Brady, Montana, Favre.
>>
I'd put him top 10 all time, which is by no means bad. He wasn't good as Brady, Manning, Montana, Marino, Elway, or Unitas, but he was still a legend.
>>
Favre is, without a doubt, the greatest QB any of us have ever seen. Game managers like Brady and Manning have essentially turned the game into a boring paint-by-numbers exhibition. Favre is an incredibly charismatic and talented football player, an all-time Legend a decade before he even retired.
>>
>>63474393
90s Favre was elite
Too bad he didn't adapt well in the 00s

If only the Packers didn't draft that OL bust and got Sanders instead oh shit, imagine Favre + Sanders
>>
Panthersbro here.
Favre made me a football fan. First NFL game i watched was a Favre game. Love his enthusiasm for the game. One of the strongest arms of all time, I love watching the ball being thrown deep. I'm glad Newton had a Favre-tier arm and throws dragons every week like Favre did.
>>
Burrs fan and I always respected him.

Seriously GOAT
>>
yuropoors out
>>
sadly the league has become more stats oriented in this passer babby era, so GOATs like Favre are overlooked for pussies like Rodgers. If I could have any quarterback leading my team for one big game, I'd take prime Favre over anyone, especially Mr >77 yards.
>>
>>63474393
>He play for 19 years! Of course he's going to throw that many. With that many attempts you're going to get interceptions.
Why do people use this argument to invalidate the INT record? It pretty much invalidates his TDs/yards record as well.

M-muh TDs/yards. He played for 19 years! Of course he's going to throw that many. With that many attempts you're going to get a lot of yards and TDs.
>>
>>63474596
That's the thing with Favre. He was fun and exciting, he was unpredictable.
Manning and Brady are so typical and mechanical. You know exactly what they're going to do: 40+ short passes a game for chunk yardage.
Favre would throw a dragon downfield and get it intercepted and then throw the exact same pass the next series and score a huge touchdown and you always felt the game was winnable no matter what.
>>
BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE BRETT FARVE
>>
>>63474393
1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Manning
4. Marino
5. Unitas
6. Graham
7. Elway
8. Young
9. Favre

>>63474534
>Luck
>second coming of favre
Except Luck isn't good.
>>
>>63475382
terrible list
>>
Brett Favre is the GOAT in terms of entertainment and stirring up a buzz in the media

BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE
>>
>>63475396
Why? I could see Favre over Young because >systembabby but the top 7 is pretty much set in stone at this point

Last time I posted the extended one everyone said it was one of the better ones they'd seen desu senpai
>>
>tiny dick
>>
>>63475434
It's just a random collection of stat padders and old faggots who played 70 years ago and then true greats like Elway, Montana and Favre.

It's just sad that this generation of sports fans are basically autistic kids who think greatness is entirely about the stats and numbers, when it's about, you know, greatness.
>>
>>63475382
Favre is way underrated on your list bro

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Favre
4. Elway
5. Manning
6. Marino
7. Unitas
8. Young
9. Bradshaw
10, Warner (always underrated)
>>
20 replies and no dick pic. i'm proud /sp/
>>
File: 1447046773326.jpg (43 KB, 514x601) Image search: [Google]
1447046773326.jpg
43 KB, 514x601
>>63475485
>9. Bradshaw
>>
Favre and Peyton throw way way too many picks

Brady and Rodgers do not. All though Rodgers isn't throwing it 50 times in a game like Brady
>>
>>63475657
>>63475485
Anytime someone puts Bradshaw in GOAT list I generally assume they're idiots and ignore anything else they've said.
He is the very epitome of systembabby, more than probably anyone else.
>>
Motherfucking GOAT desu senpai

Nigga threw all those picks because he had giant fucking balls

And my nigga was popping pills everyday like an absolute madman

Id like to see Brady or Manning make owl runs high as fuck
>>
>>63475702
Literally nothing wrong with letting some "FUCK IT DRAGONS" go

Thank you Favre
>>
How come Favre could throw all the picks he wanted and still be considered elite, but Eli Manning throws picks he's an idiot and "his team wins in spite of him"?

Eli is just as tough as he was (may even beat his consecutive start record), already has more SB's than him (beat Favre in the playoffs to get one), and every once in a while displays the same amount (if not more) ballsy magic. And yet he will never be considered a GOAT, why?

>muh stacked defense

That only applies to one of the recent SB winning Giants teams (2007) and Eli had a great run for those playoffs. Only one pick that whole post season.
>>
All you casuals leave Fouts off your lists every single time like learn the game motherfucker talkin bout Bradshaw
>>
>>63475949
you're seriously fucking delusional. Favre is a swaggering gun slinger and people love him for that, not his stats. People love Eli for blowing Brady out two times in a row, not for his stats.

You fucking autists don't understand SHIT about why people gravitate to certain players.
>>
>>63474393
Probably cracks the top 10.

He threw way too many stupid passes and ended almost every season on a playoff interception. Still tough old bastard though.

>also wierd looking dick
>>
>>63476396
>>63475501
W-what does it look like? I've never actually seen what you're all referring to
>>
He ranks low cause he played in an era where defending passes was still allowed.
Retards see the nfl now and think.
"wow all these qbs are so elite"
>>
>>63474867
Oh hey Aaron
>>
>>63474577
>No one had a stronger arm than Favre
Randall Cunningham would like a word

>>63475459
>Because a guy has good stats he's a stat padder

ok.
Being real, I think stats do mean a lot, more than >muh greatness. Obviously they don't tell the whole story, especially the simplified stats most sources other than PFF provide, but they do show a lot as long as you account for the era that guys played in and don't try to compare across eras. The "greatness" argument is pretty much a way of getting guys who were always on good teams and hyped by the media (Bradshaw, Aikman) into the perceived top tier. Not that those guys weren't great in their own right, but does anyone really believe that Marino or Moon wouldn't win multiple Super Bowls if they were on the 70s Steelers/90s Cowboys?
>>
Brady
Montana
Elway
Favre

Mt. Rushmore of QBs
>>
Better than Brady, worse than Manning.

Top 4 all time, arguably top 2
>>
Favre is top 10. Not top 5 because some of his INTs literally cost his team several games.
>>
>>63474393
>Where does Favre rank on the GOAT list?

He doesn't.
>>
>>63476986
Edgy
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 400x400
>>63476932
>Elway
>

>>63476936
>Better than Brady, worse than Manning

We /paradox/ now
>>
File: Smug Rodgers wins Jeopardy.webm (191 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Smug Rodgers wins Jeopardy.webm
191 KB, 1280x720
>>63474393
lower half of the top 10

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Unitas
4. Peyton
5. Marino
6. Elway
7-9. Staubach, Young, Favre in some order
10. Tarkenton (or Fouts, or one of those gunslinger from the 70s/80s. Hell, you could Brees here if you wanted a laff)

I had Starr in the middle as a sort of Affirmative Action for transition QBs, but then I realized his better days were before the merger.
>>
>Consecutive starts

Not impressive. If it was consecutive games then yes
>>
File: 1427593292168.jpg (7 KB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
1427593292168.jpg
7 KB, 300x224
1. Sammy Baugh
2. Joe Montana
3. Otto Grahm
4. Tim Bradly
5. Peyton Manning
6. Roger Staubach
7. Bart Starr
8. Dan Marino
9. Brett Favre
10. Fran Tarkenton
11. Terry Bradshaw
12. Drew Brees
13. John Elway
14. Dan Fouts
15. Drew Brees

--Honorable Mentions/Too Early to Tell--
Troy Aikman
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Ken Stabler
Phillip Rivers
Joe Theisman
Tony Romo
Phill Simms
Boomer Esiason
Steve McNair
Daryl Lamonica
Joe Namath
Warren Moon
>>
>>63477047
u wot m8
>>
>>63477199
Shit
>Drew Bress twice

Pick one from the Honorable Mention list for the 15th spot. Leaning toward Aikman
>>
File: letthegoodtimesroll.jpg (198 KB, 1089x1024) Image search: [Google]
letthegoodtimesroll.jpg
198 KB, 1089x1024
Even if there are better quarterbacks, and there are (Brady for example is arguably better), I don't think anyone else will ever be as much fun to watch as Brett Favre.

The guy just was just some good ol' boy from Mississippi who loved to play the game, and in the end, that's what made him great. That and his rocket of an arm.
>>
>>63477047
wat
>>
ITT: Puckerfags
>>
>>63476936
that doesn't make any sense
>>
>>63477047
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>63477308
You don't have to be a Packers fan to love and appreciate Brett Favre.
>>
File: 1435377686484.jpg (47 KB, 428x285) Image search: [Google]
1435377686484.jpg
47 KB, 428x285
>we will never get to see 2007 Favre with Moss
>>
>>63477515
No. Starts don't mean shit, especially as a QB who rarely get hit.

Starts mean he did leave games at some point. Show me how many games he finished.

A running back with consecutive starts would be more impressive
>>
>>63477229
Warren Moon without a doubt
>>
>>63475949
Look I love Eli(te) Manning more than anyone on my office but you can't deny he looks mentally challenged and is hard to look at him. He lacks the charisma to be a true people's QB, if he had it he would be undisputed favorite QB of everyone just because of 18-1 and all that.
>>
File: 1434140644659.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1434140644659.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
>>63477769
>>63477769
inb4 I took the b8
>>
>>63474722
Newton may just be the closest thing to Favre the NFL will ever see. He is bigger and more athletically gifted but the same toughness, enthusiasm and gunslinger mentality is all there. I think he is going to be a ton of fun to watch for the next decade and expect him to win at least one owl.
>>
>>63474393
He was Matthew Stafford from the future, who came back to the past to play as Brett Farve
>>
>>63477896
More like Stafford
>>
>>63474393
Brady is GOAT in my book, but this man was amazing, undying love for the game coupled with the toughness of ten ford f-150s makes him a top 10 qb, maybe even top 5
>>
How is it possible that no one has posted that Favre dragon to win a game to Sidney Rice I think
Come on nu/sp/, I had to reformat
>>
>>63474393
>played the game because he loved it, not for money or fame

Fucking HATE this meme. This is literally why I grew to hate Favre. Every fucking commentator

"he's like a kid out there"
"he really seems like he's having fun out there"
"he plays for the love of the game"

Fucking shut the fuck up with this. Nobody knows his motivations for playing, and even if it were true, how is that a good thing?? I want a professional playing QB for my team, not a guy out there "having fun". Maybe that's why he threw some many awful picks, because he didn't give a shit if he won or not, he just thought airing it out was "fun".
>>
>>63475382
>Except Luck isn't good.
Luck will go down as an all-timer
>>
File: 1446911299970.png (957 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1446911299970.png
957 KB, 640x1136
>>63478480
>Stafford
>>
>>63478599
Agreed, Favre got ridiculous praise, despite playing for a long fucking time and still only winning one owl. Just like my boy Peypey desu senpai
>>
Not a fan of either team, but Barry vs Favre was one of the best games of the year back in the day

http://youtu.be/8l6uw7vkZPQ
>>
>>63474393
He didn't break the interception record because he played for 19 seasons, he broke it because he threw a lot of fucking interceptions. He had like five or six seasons with 20+ picks.
>>
>>63478635
all-time leader in INTs maybe
>>
>>63477199
I like the love for my boy Fran.

What about Sid Luckamn though? He was putting huge numbers in the 40's
>>
>>63479276
>le Luck is shit meme
You have no idea about football
>>
>>63479108
Favre was meh, but Barry was something else. I don't think we'll ever see someone like that again.
>>
>>63478599
It's true though. Watch anything about him, where he talks about it, coaches who he played for, teammates, etc. they all say he was 40 year old manchild just doing what he loved.

Would you prefer a dumb nigger just after the millions like 90% of the league now?
>>
File: 1434950690576.png (275 KB, 389x382) Image search: [Google]
1434950690576.png
275 KB, 389x382
>These foreign NFL "fans"
>>
File: berrysanders.gif (976 KB, 358x180) Image search: [Google]
berrysanders.gif
976 KB, 358x180
>>63479662
I still miss him
>>
>>63478480
>Stafford
>like Favre
1st major difference is Stafford isn't tough, he gets hurt easily
2nd is he's the epitome of a inflated stat baby in the pass happy era, he's just average.
Only similarity is his strong arm, I see no other Favre like things from him.

I agree with >>63477896
Newton is the most like Favre
>loves the game and clearly has fun while playing
>tough as nails
>strongest arm in nfl
>throws dragons
>throws stupid interceptions
>owns his division
>>
>>63477800
Go away, this isn't soccer Jose
>>
>>63479281
He earned it, the level of competition (specifically defensively) was so high in the 70s every QB back then had to be hard as a coffin nail.

Unfortunately I don't know much about Sid Luckman. I'll do some more reading.
>>
>>63476876
>being real,

You can start any time, autist.
>>
ima tell it like this, Favre not better than Young or Marino
>>
>>63479956
Please rename your GIF. Spell it properly, he deserves that much at least.
>>
>>63479685
>dumb nigger
>good quarterback

Maybe so, but like I said before, maybe that's why he threw so many awful interceptions that cost his teams the game, because he was just "having fun". Fuck that, I'll take a pro like Brady, Manning, Rodgers any day of the fucking week. Sunday's are serious business to teams, players AND fans. Leave that parking lot bullshit at home.
>>
>>63480279
The only QB better than him during their time was Otto
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.