[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are they so bad at spending money?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: liverpool.gif (46 KB, 511x669) Image search: [Google]
liverpool.gif
46 KB, 511x669
>4th highest net spend in the league since 2010
>Average league position since 2010: 6th (5.8)

Is it bad luck, incompetence, or something else?
>>
The problem fundamentally is that they cannot attract TOP talent because, outside of a Liverpool fan's perception, they simply are not a big club any more in so much as they can't promise Champions League, therefore they have to pay over the odds for good (but not great) players.
>>
>>63454944
It's incompetence. They failed to attract the right manager for the job and then they failed to scout and close down deals.
>>
>>63454954
/thread

And I'm not even a Liverpoo fan. They're just not big anymore. Had they won the league, kept Suarez(lol) and been able to maintain their position in the top is the table, they might have been back, or at least closer, to where they used to be.

Fact is it all just slipped for Liverpool
>>
>>63455033
Liverpool under Rafa and Kenny were able to attract top talent. Liverpool under Brenny couldn't attract anybody. The club is big but the manager was dross.
>>
>>63455049

Who did Dalglish sign? The only top player I can think of that joined when he was in charge is Suarez.
>>
>>63454954
Seconding this. It's kind of sad as someone who was a diehard Liverpool fan years ago, but they've just toally lost it. They're not top dogs anymore. No one stays on top forever I guess.
>>
>>63455165
And you jumped over to the city bandwagon?

>inb4 TFTT
>>
>>63455175

I think he means that he's still a fan, just not as hardcore as he used to be. Which makes sense, it's easier to get excited about the best team in Europe than the 6th best team in England.
>>
>>63455175
this
>>63455193
Really I don't seriously support anyone these days. I'll still root for Lpool when they're playing but my love for the sport in general has faded these last few years.
>>
>>63455157
Kenny's problem wasn't attracting talent - his problem was going for dross like Adam and Henderson.
>>
>>63454954
They choked away their chance to be relevant again.
If they won the EPL 2years back, they would have CL football with suarez having a high chance of staying.
Blame slippy g for slipping away their only chance of being relevant ever again.
>>
>>63455269

Do Liverpool fans not rate Henderson? He's not amazing or anything, but I thought he was decent. Like a younger Milner.
>>
>>63455286
Current Henderson is a great player but when Kenny signed him he was awful.
>>
Suarez and Coutinho were great signings and when they played together, they finished 2nd. Obviously, it's incompetence and I bet there were some weird shit happening for them to sign those 2 players.
>>
>>63455319

Sturridge and Coutinho were both kind of weird signings. Both wingers, bought for 12 and 8 million pounds respectively, now playing different positions and worth at least twice what Liverpool paid for them. Some of the credit for that has to go to Rodgers IMO.
>>
>>63455352
Sturridge and Coutinho were never wingers mate. Sturridge was a second striker with awful finishing and Coutinho was pushed to the wing because Inter had a better option in the center.
>>
>>63455286
Henderson is fundamentally sound and playmaking abilities have grown tremendously, but he won't go and win you a game. his finishing is still sub par desu senpai
>>
>>63455269
>Queer Kenny ruined Maxi Rodriguez' last season at Liverpool because of muh Downing
I couldn't believe it.
>>
>>63455433
It was funny as hell though.
>>
>>63455249

Kek, fairweather cunt
>>
>>63454944

They should've won at least one PL title during Rafa's reign but United and Chelsea were just too good. Along with bad luck.
After Rafa they just didn't have proper managers and the whole ownership change made it even harder to compete in the league.
Things were starting to look good with Rodgers but he _really_ should have made a stronger squad. The time was perfect. United were no longer a contender and Liverpool had enough money for transfers. If only they made better signings Rodgers would've won them the title.
I'm optimistic about Klopp but he really needs to cool down. He looks ridiculous on the sideline.
>>
>>63455479
>Rodgers
That was their mistake/Tova im beshe greshkata.
>>
It's because of the incompetent new owners.
>>
>>63455525
It's because of the incompetent old ones (the Texans). They destroyed Liverpool in 2009 and 2010, it was the new ones (the Boston guys) that saved the club.
>>
>>63455249

Dont ever call yourself a Liverpool "fan" again you little shit, you're not worthy of being associated with this city, this club, this passion. First signs of hard times and you run away snivelling like he coward you are, not worthy, not fucking worthy you cunt. Guarantee that come next seasin when we're flying high you'll regain interest like the greedy, glory hunting prick you are. If you ever step foot in my city, in my Anfield. I will find you, rip your coward little head off and shit down your neck. You will wish you had never been born, you will regret the day you ever called yourself a "diehard" fan. Cunt.
>>
File: CC.jpg (48 KB, 704x400) Image search: [Google]
CC.jpg
48 KB, 704x400
>>63455577
>>
File: 1360695981493.gif (2 MB, 189x189) Image search: [Google]
1360695981493.gif
2 MB, 189x189
>>63454944
A bit of it all.

>Sell Alonso la
>Buy Johnson la
>Buy Aquilani la
>Sell Torres la
>Sell Macherano la
>Buy Carroll
>Buy Cole la
>Buy Shelvy la
>Buy Downing la
>Buy Adams la
>Buy Allen la
>Buy Borini la
>Buy Toure la
>Sell Suarez la
>Buy Balotelli la
>Buy Origi la
>Buy Rickie fucking Lambert la

It's like reading a train wreck.
>>
>>63455636
Selling Torres was actually a master-stoke.
>>
>>63455577
kek
>>
>hurr they ain't a big club anymore

Liverpool is a legendary club you twats, even if they're having a hard time winning trophies the history and reputation of the club makes up for it.
>>
>>63455852
Legendary, absolutely. Big, no.

Which currently world class players do you think would be more than happy to go to Liverpool?
>>
>>63455887
Depends how much they are paying.
>>
>>63455887
Maybe Liverpool should draft players with characters and heart instead of mercenaries?

Do you think Torres, Alonso and the likes joined Liverpool for the money? No they did because they knew Liverpool is the GOAT team to play for.
>>
>>63455887

Rues is coming in January, no joke my mate is Polish and went to school with a friend of his.
>>
>>63455887
I heard Steve Gerrard wanted to go there on loan or something. He plays for L.A. here in the states. World class.
>>
>>63455924

>draft

doesnt exist in EU
>>
>>63455924
they joined liverpool when they were still challenging for the champions league
>>
>want Barry
>alienate Alonso to get Barry
>don't get Barry
>Alonso goes to Real

A club that does this can only be incompetent
>>
>>63455957
And the league :)
>>
>>63454944
fair weather fans = fair weather players
>>
>>63454944
they've basically had the fifth highest wage bill, which actually a better predictor of league performance. They've underachieved by that metric as well, but it's not really a huge gulf.
>>
>>63455962
Oh man that was funny as fuck.
>>
>>63455951
You can still use it as a verb though.
>>
>>63455577

You seem upset m8
>>
File: 1418584906608.jpg (78 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1418584906608.jpg
78 KB, 720x960
>>63455852
>Legendary
>Attracts the likes of Lelotelli
>Attracts the likes of Lambert
>Sanchez snubs Liverpoo for Arselel

I guess he didn't hear that they won it six times or something
>>
>>63455636
Selling Torres turned out to be a brilliant move. Sure, Carroll wasn't much good either, but he was better than what Torres became at Chelsea. And Liverpool made 15 million pounds out of the deal.
>>
>>63455924
>Do you think Torres, Alonso and the likes joined Liverpool for the money? No they did because they knew Liverpool is the GOAT team to play for.

No, they did it for the money. Just like every player who played on that Liverpool team except for Gerrard and Carragher.
>>
>>63455278
Suarez would have gone anyway and we'd be stuck with Rodgers still because that title would've given him an extra year or so in charge.
>>
File: 1395176016551.png (980 KB, 680x286) Image search: [Google]
1395176016551.png
980 KB, 680x286
>non fan-owned sports teams
>>
it's because their owners are stupid.
Are you gonna tell me they couldn't have brought Firmino for £10-15M instead of £29M?
>>
>>63458662
tbf english clubs always have to pay a huge premium cause it's pretty well known how much money they have coming in
the wiser thing to do would be to just not buy firmino
>>
>>63455636

Selling Torres is probably the most brillant move they ever did. He already showed signs of poor form during WC 2010 and first half of the season and they sold him to Chelsea for 50M fucking pounds. Chelsea got literally buttraped here.

(They replaced that guy with Carroll and replaced Suarez with Balotelli though. This is where Liverpool sucks)
>>
>>63455928
>me mates dads mums cousins brothers cousins uncles aunts brothers twice-removed cousins sister mates sister mums brothers cousin mates said so

Fuck off.
>>
>>63458833
What really annoys me is that for £3m more we could've got fucking Aguero. Imagine Aguero and Suarez up front.
>>
>>63459380
I thought summer was over?
>>
>>63455404
>his finishing is still sub par
His finishing doesn't need to be good. He's a central midfielder.
>>
>tottenham has a net spend of -36.7 million since 2010
>5th in the table, 3rd in goal difference
damn
>>
>>63460111
The difference is Levy vs Ayre tbqh
>>
>>63460329
imagine if levy was allowed to spend like the rest of the top half
>>
>>63460347
*he actually might be after the new stadium is completed
>>
>>63460358
>>63460347
I dunno. I think not having much to spend suits him. A bit like Moyes at Everton vs Moyes at United. Levy would probably splurge extra money on shit. Plus as buyer with lots of money he'd be coming from a weaker position because clubs would know that they could hold him to ransom a bit more.

Tl;dr Good goyim
>>
File: 1423484209285.gif (2 MB, 200x174) Image search: [Google]
1423484209285.gif
2 MB, 200x174
>>63460067
>he called me out on anecdotal evidence, which is a logical fallacy, and what is essentially the /sp/ equivalent of "my dad works for Nintendo
>can't come up with proof or anything
>s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s--s-s-s-s-summer!!

Truly, 4chan is dead.

Not the faggot you responded to, but you're the zero point of the faggotry scale. Go and stay go, memer.
>>
>>63460411
Pretending to be itk is literally one of the oldest memes on /sp/. Fuck off.
>>
>>63455852
>Liverpool is a legendary club
Like leeds
>>
>>63460453
this. like leeds, like forest. your past reputation doesn't last forever. liverpool have been shit for a long time now
>>
>not a big team
>4 weeks ago hired one of the best managers in the world

hmm, its almost as ABLs have a distorted view of reality

shit owners and shit managers ruined liverpool, but things are finally looking up
>>
>>63455636

They really did make some bad signings in the last couple of years
>>
>>63460523
every team does, difference is people only give a fuck when its liverpool

di maria
mangala
cuadrado
lamela

all shitty expensive signings that nobody ever mentions
>>
>>63460519
I said exactly why they're not a big team - no Champions League. Why has everyone so far who's argued with me not even picked up on this aspect? Is it wilful ignorance?
The last time LFC even qualified - which was 5 years after they last qualified by the way - they didn't get past the group stages. It's not like I was being dismissive with no reasoning.
>>
>>63460519
i wasn''t even mad at the loss jurgen said himself they needed a loss to look at what needs improved. He is gonna bring the best in players and then attract good players by his smile alone, not even taking into account his accolades.
>>
>>63460535
di meme is mentioned a lot, mangala and cuadrado used to be mentioned a lot too but people kind of forgot about them. also tottenham aren't popular enough to bother talking about.

the difference between those players and liverpool though is that the clubs that bought those players mostly had other good signings, while liverpool has just been a stream of overpriced shit
>>
>>63460442
No. Fucking. Shit. But this shit turns into a fucking meme.

>MARTINEZ TO LIVERPOOL SITUATION?

And it shits up threads with pointless crap like that. Fuck off.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 811x899) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 811x899
>tfw Carroll will never return to Newcastle injury free and become the GOAT English no. 9
>>
>>63460753
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>63460111
>tottenham has a net spend of -36.7 million since 2010
>5th in the table, 3rd in goal difference

It's amazing, isn't it? Levy is a fucking beast, I shudder to think of what he could do with a decent technical director and more resources.
>>
>>63454944
100% bad luck

some random dudes become the next messi... but most dont
>>
Liverpool turned to shit when they sold Brad Jones
>>
If Liverpool isn't a big club, why does it always beat Barca/Real everytime they play them?
>>
>>63465902
How many years since they even played?
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.