[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>college athletes should be paid on top of already having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5
File: 1424899171570.jpg (42 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1424899171570.jpg
42 KB, 480x640
>college athletes should be paid on top of already having their expenses covered
>I mean, come on! It's 2015
>>
>college athletes

american "education"
>>
>>63368589
C O M E
ON

I T S

>>
Deadspin get out
>>
Most of the black athletes on sports scholarships don't have parents to support them. So any time they could be using to work a job for money to finance dinners, dates, or other outside activities isn't available because they are always practicing. A stipend for college athletes isn't unreasonable, considering the money they bring to the university
>>
is that judas kiss?
>>
>>63368589
>people dont go because the university, they like amateur football
>XFL fails
>UFL fails
>USFL fails
ect
>>
>free college education (that they don't take advantage of)
>free food
>free women
>free fame
>they want MORE
>>
There are literally no arguments against paying college athletes other than "I don't want to see young niggers get rich".
>>
>>63376438
most programs dont make money

those that due subsidize other school sports including womens sports... cant really end that

also the school is the real value, not the players, the players can even be replaced every 4 years

see also >>63375582

dont like it, dont go

go play basketball overseas

go play football in the CFL
>>
>>63375514
lyl forgot about him
>>
>>63376469
>most programs don't make money

Wrong. Most athletic departments don't make money, but that's because they fund tons of other minor sports. Most football programs are profitable. Forbes estimated the average football player brings in about $200,000 for a university.

>those that due subsidize other school sports including womens sports... cant really end that

If ADs want to find more money for women's sports, they can start by docking their own fucking salary...most make several hundred thousand a year.

>also the school is the real value, not the players, the players can even be replaced every 4 years

Can't have football programs without players. That's like saying low-level employees don't deserve a salary because the real value is in the name of the business.

Bottom line: you're defending a system where adults Americans do not get paid for the labor they provide and the profits they help generate.
>>
>>63376780
are you voting for bernie? if you make schools pay football players they are just going to cut their other sports teams dumb fuck
>>
>>63376809
Well, son, that's how capitalism works. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.
>>
>>63376833
no shit faggot I'm telling the gibs me dat nigger that these kids dont need to get paid. temple is good at football this year because they said fuck it and cut multiple other sports teams so they can spend more money on football
>>
>>63376809
im sure we'll all miss the texas men's water polo team's epic clashes
>>
>>63376809
I'm not voting for Bernie Sanders, I favor the free market...which is why I favor college athletes getting paid what they are worth.

Who cares if schools cut sports that no one watches? Why should football and basketball players have to subsidize those welfare sports? Again, free market.
>>
>>63376854
>>63376890

see

>>63376438
>>
>>63376914
oh so ITS 2015
>>
>>63376924
Not exactly disproving my point, are you?

Your opinion isn't based on any economic point of view, it's based on your weird pathologies towards blacks.

So good luck with that.
>>
>>63377045
you havent given me a reason why they need to be paid. they go to school for free for 4 years if they choose and get an education that leaves most americans in debt for many years of their life.

they are given personal tutors and get plenty of accomodations for the time they have to spend on away games and such. people who choose to spend time in extra curricular activities like academic groups dont get these things while they often have jobs to support themselves. the athletes get free food that other students do not get either.

if the team is good at football they are then given about $1,000 in gifts at a bowl game and are given tickets to the bowl game which they in turn sell for cash.

youre saying since they chose to play a sport like people do in high school they should get paid for it for some reason? why dont high school football players get paid? why dont high school debaters get paid? school the college student council president get paid for their work?
>>
>>63376890
I'm guessing you're a dumb fucking faggot who got into a university you had no business being at on a scholarship for a non-revenue sport
>>
>>63377100
nope I have a 50% academic scholarship at a private university and don't play sports. I just dont think I should get paid for the university organizations I'm a part of
>>
>>63377045
>u r racis

You're just a hateful misogynist that doesn't want to fund women's sports because your mother didn't love you. You'll do anything to keep money in the hands of the patriarchy.
>>
I'll never understand the point of non-revenue sports. My university could put up a new dorm every year with the money they get from football and basketball, but instead they waste it on funding the women's golf team.
>>
>I make the taxpayers fund the NFLs minor league
>>
>>63376780
good luck cutting funding to womens sports bro... you know... title ix

and you dont understand, there is no shortage of players

so whoever wants to opt out can, and the program will go on

>Bottom line: you're defending a system where adults Americans do not get paid for the labor they provide and the profits they help generate.

again, overall there are no profits most of the time

and most of the value is generated by the school, not the player

Uconn womens basketball does better than WNBA teams

the UFL folded, the XFL folded... people dont want to watch amateur football, they want to cheer for Bama and Stanford, ect
>>
>>63376890
university curling player spotted
>>
>>63377151
because college isnt about giving you a nice dorm for freshman year it is about giving you life experiences while educating you.

my school could fuck off having multicultural programs, workshops on job interviews, and stop booking guest speakers and build us a fucking amusement park
>>
>>63377163
I fucking hate title 9. We have to pay for NEET shitty womens sports that get 50 people a game or else get sued out the ass
>>
File: nba vs ncaab.png (48 KB, 599x573) Image search: [Google]
nba vs ncaab.png
48 KB, 599x573
>>63377163
this, compare the demographics of college basketball with NBA basketball. NCAA basketball is more popular with older people and people who earn more, AKA alumni.
>>
>>63377127
College football, and especially basketball, are different because they're essentially a monopsony. Those players have skills that in a normal market people would be willing to pay for, but the NCAA is so large that it forces any potential NFL/NBA major junior league out of the market and the players end up with no other option besides the NCAA and its 'free college', which they may not want and comes with living expenses.

Something like the college debate team or any of the non-revenue sports, there's no market for it. The college is subsidizing it outright, giving them a benefit when they would have otherwise had nothing, instead of holding the participants captive by their control of the market and forcing them to take a lesser benefit than what they could have had otherwise.
>>
>>63377284
Source

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/02/which-sports-have-the-whitest-richest-oldest-fans/283626/
>>
>>63377204
Still, there's research that could be done, new programs that could be created, new scholarships that could be offered, etc.

I think they should have higher priorities than the non-revenue sports.
>>
>>63377217
the best schools dont even care about sports

maybe if oregon put more effort into the education their acceptance rate wouldnt be 80%

maybe sports should take a back seat to the education

its not like harvard, mit, yale, ect got great by having great sports programs
>>
>>63377287
so sports are more important than debate and while debate team members still pay tuition and sports players dont we should add onto it to pay the sports players additional amounts?

the problem with the ncaa football is they let the nfl tell them players have to be 3 years out of college before they enter. thats the nfl's problem not college. let those faggots go to the cfl if they really care. basketball players can go overseas just like mudiay did this year
>>
>>63377325
to add onto this

are you acting like most other college students are scraping by just as the athletes are? the difference is the other students scraping by graduate with a ton of debt and then go get a job and work their way up. the athletes scrape by like everyone else and graduate with no debt and in very small cases get to the nfl/nba and make tons of money right away
>>
>>63377323
doesnt having a high acceptance rate mean you get more shekels from out of staters using you as a safety school?
>>
>>63377382
high acceptance rate means you arent a hard school. smart schools pride themselves on how low their acceptance rate is because everyone wants in but most people dont make the cut
>>
File: 00000167.jpg (53 KB, 458x545) Image search: [Google]
00000167.jpg
53 KB, 458x545
>college sports are still a thing
>>
The only people who don't want college athletes to be paid are the NCAA so they get more sheckels and asshurt college age kids who are mad talented athletes are getting free rides to school
>>
>>63377498
The only people who don't want college students doing academic work to be paid are the NCAA so they get more sheckels and asshurt college age dumbasses who are mad intellectual students are creating a future for themselves
>>
>>63377579
Undergrad academic work doesn't generate revenue like athletes, it also provides benefits after graduation unlike 90% of student-athletes who don't make it pro.
>>
>>63377644
so now college is about making money rather than getting an education and opportunities in life?
>>
>>63368589
They should get a piece of the jersey sales desu

Texas A&M build a whole new facility with money from Manziel's jerseys
>>
Don't only four universities actually profit from collegiate sports? I don't know how universities would come up with the money to compensate for other sports (Title IX). I have a friend who's on OSU's women's bowling team and they travel just as much as the football team. I'm sure OSU doesn't have a problem paying for it, but it must be hard for other schools to do it.

Another problem is that the NCAA would essentially become the MLB--all of the good teams get the good players because they make the most money. Do you really want to see OSU become the Yankees? If you decide to put a cap on how much teams can offer players, the amount they make isn't going to be much more than their scholarships.

Also, how would we determine which athletes get paid? Will it be just the football and basketball players, or will the men's volleyball players also get paid? Should it be contingent upon the success of the program? If so, please refer to my second paragraph.

I would love to see "student" athletes get paid because I think they're definitely deserving, but I don't know how universities would come up with the money for it.
>>
>>63377664
It's about education, except for the athletes who are given fake classes in fake majors designed so they remain eligible, they aren't real students.
>>
>>63377721
they choose to take fake classes because they are retards they cant pass easy classes. they are then given a real degree which they can use to be employed anywhere that has the requirement of a college degree
>>
>>63377709
Nevermind, I looked it up. Only twenty universities profit from collegiate athletics, and the only profitable sports are football and men's basketball.

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/statements/2014/dec/22/jim-moran/moran-says-only-20-colleges-make-profit-sports/

I think that you have to face that the concept of college athletics is just really, really bad. I think there are several things you can do to improve it though:

1. Alter Title IX. As much good as it does, I think you have to face the fact that it creates more oppression than it helps.

2. Restructure coaching contracts. As the article says, the highest state-paid position in many states is the head football coach of universities. What if there was a cap of 80k, for example? A lot of good coaches will go to the NFL or elsewhere for more money, but it's not like they'll never be a coach to not accept that kind of a position. College football would just become an amature league for coaches as well as athletes. Maybe we could also put them in classes and call them "student coaches."
>>
>>63378034
now youre asking SJWs to choose between women and niggers. they will kill themselves
>>
>>63378034
80k needs to be more like $1m. are you in high school and not know how little $80k a year is
>>
>>63377095
motherfucker, i worked my way through college and was involved in extracurricular groups in addition to classes and shit.

i'm still in debt because of student loans, and even i will tell you how much value big sports bring to a university. football especially. i have no problem at all with college kids getting paid their worth because otherwise the university gets bonused hand over fist both from the exposure the sports programs gives their school and also because they get to pocket all the money made from them.

its total fucking bullshit and goes against the free market especially since there is absolutely no viable alternative for these kids for three years after they graduate.

i really thought that after the penn state fiasco the conferences were going to decertify the NCAA and reorganize and get rid of these stupid ass fucking rules but for whatever reason they prefer to be keked.
>>
>>63378085
sin fransico resident spotted
>>
File: 1444796439389.jpg (162 KB, 800x651) Image search: [Google]
1444796439389.jpg
162 KB, 800x651
>>
>>63378137
nice personal experience. doesnt change the facts though
>>
>>63377325
>are sports more important than debate

debate makes the school no money. money makes the world go round. this is the real world, stop being an idealistic retard.
>>
>>63378191
so you want schools to maximize profit rather than actually teach students? ok thats stupid but you can think that I guess
>>
>>63378177
i gave you my personal experience because i wanted you to be aware that i am not different from you other than you are a whiny "me first" crybaby fuckhead and i am not.
>>
>>63378233
you're not getting it. it doesn't matter what i want. it's the way things are.

im really sorry you're upset about college debt but whining about 300 lb buck niggers on alabama's offensive line won't make it go away.
>>
>>63374657
Don't they get a stipend now?
>>
>>63378268
you havent told me why they should get played other than that they play a game. yes they bring in revenue but thats largely because the school pays for their facilities and everything. why did you ignore this post>>63378137
>>
>>63378244
youre looking small picture as if classes and sports arent the only part of a university. please actually look into everything and then make a decision I'm going to bed
>>
>>63376438
That means you have to pay ALL college athletes, even shit like the rowing team or the golf team. You can't just cherry pick who to pay. They get a hundred thousand dollar education for free, not the Universities fault that they don't do shit with it because they're lazy niggers who'll go bankrupt once they're out of the NFL anyway.
>>
>>63378291
>dorms for 60 kids, plus water and electricity, call it 10 mill
>food for the scholar year, call that another 3 mil
>an 80 year old stadium, maybe a couple mill to renovating it every year
>a practice field and weight room, call it generously a million to build those
>new equipment every year is usually provided by sponsors

let's say i overlooked some things and say the cost to maintain a collegiate football team is $25 million a year.

ole miss, a mid level SEC team, did $75,000,000 in revenue last year. Notre Dame did $100,000,000.

thats directly from the football program.

pay the fucking players.
>>
>>63378344
No you don't, you can pay the ones who generate revenue for the school, there's no reason to pay athletes who don't contribute money.
>>
>>63378321
>spout gibberish
>walk away
>i got the last word, i won

night junior.
>>
>>63378372
your math is incredibly wrong please look it up
>>
>>63378375
its ok I dont know how laws work either so you must be right
>>
Can we at least all agree college athletes should be able to profit off their image and sign endorsement deals?
>>
>>63378406
ok.

http://www.ethosreview.org/intellectual-spaces/is-college-football-profitable/

>A typical SEC program spends around $27 million on its football team each year.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2015/05/26/ole-miss-brings-in-record-setting-revenue-thanks-to-spikes-in-ticket-sales-licensing/27984805/

>In all, Ole Miss brought in $75,849,000 in revenue in 2014.

http://www.ibj.com/blogs/4-the-score/post/45498-notre-dame-no-2-in-ranking-of-football-riches-iu-tops-purdue

>Notre Dame scored $96.6 million in revenue, according to Brewer.

what now?
>>
>>63378485
so youre comparing the average spender to the highest earner? I can compare the average american wage to the highest earner and make an argument just as shitty as yours
>>
>>63378427
Each sport would have it's own players union, sports aren't lumped together just because they're all in college
>>
>>63378524
top kek look at how stupid you sound now. you are jumping through so many hoops to make your argument work
>>
>>63378510
i'm saying that each should be paid according to his ability and not according to his need.

that's fundamental capitalism and free enterprise.
>>
>>63378548
No, that's just how sports work, there's a league and a players union, they negotiate the revenue sharing, contracts, etc. It's already the established method in the pro leagues.
>>
>>63378549
no you retard fundamental capitalism is paying people the lowest wage you can to do work for you. right now they are paying them in stipends, scholarships, and food. capitalism also allows for competitors.

this is pure capitalism now and everyone is willing to do it for the going wage or you would see niggers fucking off to the CFL. competitors are more than welcome to start up and please start one that involves paying these kids but forcing universities to pay students to play a sport is the opposite of capitalism when they could go do anything else they want, its not the colleges fault theyre stupid and have nothing else to do with their lives
>>
requiring colleges to pay athletes will result in skyrocketing tuition. regulating what colleges are able to spend certain revenues on would be better--if a college makes millions in sports revenue, a percentage should go to the players. But no, Jimmy Laxbro at Bumblefuck U shouldn't make $400 a week
>>
>>63378592
holy fuck you are one twisted motherfucker.

the system in place now is not fundamental capitalism, its crony capitalism. these kids realize they have real value for what they provide and are trying to get justly compensated for it. this isn't some socialist bullshit where some crackhead degenerate gets a welfare check because obama values his life. these kids are worth sometimes over a million dollars per year to these schools, and they get ~$60k in total compensation.

you are enabling this cronyist bullshit if you are trying to stop them from getting their actual value. and they can't go to the CFL, the territorial exemption for kids under 21 in that league only applies to kids from the area around the fucking team.

competitors have tried but no one can compete with the tradition that has been established on the backs of these kids. a joke league like the XFL trying to go toe to toe with fucking college. give me a break.

it may not be the college's fault but they sure don't mind making a shitload of cash from the kid's efforts.
>>
>>63378714
and forcing universities to stop spending money on education is the answer? you retarded progressives always want to fuck with the wrong person just because you dont look at it thoroughly. the problem is the nfl and fuck with them theyre the ones who made the rules that limit the other leagues. theyre the ones that fuck over networks that dare share competitors games.

stop asking tax payers and poor college kids pay even more for niggers to play a fucking game and let the billions of dollar corporation that makes money off the fucking game make a minor league or some shit. basketball hockey and baseball dont have this problem it is only fucking football because nobody dares say fuck you nfl change something.

fuck you people for wanting more money from the government
>>
>>63378762
>stop asking tax payers and poor college kids pay even more for niggers to play a fucking game and let the billions of dollar corporation that makes money off the fucking game make a minor league or some shit. basketball hockey and baseball dont have this problem it is only fucking football because nobody dares say fuck you nfl change something.

im at a loss for words. this entire conversation has been about distributing the revenue that comes directly from the football teams. this has nothing to do with government or any poor kids tuition or anything like that. i have no clue where your fucking head is at.

>fuck you people for wanting more money from the government

literally what the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>63378714

90% of the kids don't have any real value. Michigan sells 100000+ tickets even if they suck. There are a very small number of players who actually generate value significantly greater than what their scholarship is worth. Do you pay Winston and Manziel millions and everyone else nothing or do you pay everyone equally when only a few of them deserve it?
>>
>>63378950
you pay them all according to playing time.

lets use the ole miss example.

$50 million in revenue left over. school keeps $10 million and does whatever it wants with it ($25 mil in cost already covers maintenance of facilities, staff, whatever).

remaining $40 million disbursed according to time on the field. bonus system in place for all americans.

pretty simple.
>>
>>63379054

You just made the NCAA 100x more corrupt than it already is.
>>
File: 231321312.png (22 KB, 207x239) Image search: [Google]
231321312.png
22 KB, 207x239
>>63379132
>let me throw a wild, unfounded assertion out there without any explanation whatsoever and expect to get taken seriously
>>
>>63379159

Ugh I really was just hoping you would get it. You're pretty much opening Pandora's box by letting coaches decide who gets paid. Bribes, favoritism, personal vendettas. I mean I would totally watch the 30 for 30 but there's no way that would fly.
>>
>>63379321
>letting the coaches decide who gets paid
>the coaches have to win games
>they will play the best players to give themselves the best chance to win
>the best players get paid

i fail to see the fucking problem.
>>
>>63379356

>playing shit state
>favored by 50 points
>coaches can literally auction off starting positions since they'll win regardless of who plays

>position battle between two similar players
>one promises to give the coach half his earnings in exchange for starting

>Backups putting bounties on starters
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.