[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /soc/. I'm going to be homeless very, very soon in NYC.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /soc/ - Cams & Meetups

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 1400893483279.jpg (354 KB, 1280x1517) Image search: [Google]
1400893483279.jpg
354 KB, 1280x1517
Hey /soc/. I'm going to be homeless very, very soon in NYC.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for me? Shelters to go to? Any experiences you might have being homeless you can share for me to learn from? Literally need all the advice you can give.

Before anyone asks and tries to offer to take me in for sex shit, I'm a 23 year old dude, so most definitely not in your interest range.
>>
>>23924768
if youre willing to travel you can crash for few dais.
>>
>>23924768
Ehh, someone in NY probably wants some of Scruffy Joe's longjohn.
>>
>>23924768
Man up and join the army.
>>
>>23924768
The usual advice is get a gym membership so you can shower and brush your teeth.
>>
>>23924776
Where are you even at, anon?

>>23924780
Probs not.

>>23924787
Medically can't, anon.

>>23924804
Already going to do that, but don't know what to do if they ask for address.
>>
>>23924780
Can I have some of Scruffy Joe's longjohn?
>>
>>23924820

You can always sit in the office.
>>
To find food, Dumpster diving:

https://fallingfruit.org
>>
>>23924840
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>23924768
By office I meant the desk job and you can claim that you were a war vet. The credit is shared amongst all men.
>>
>>23924768
you could
>buy counterfeit money, use it to buy bitcoin on local bitcoins, then use the bitcoin to buy an amazon giftcard or stolen cc.
> Get a gym membership at 24 hr fitness, and a gym lock
>>
>>23924861
I literally know fuck all about bitcoin and I don't think I have the time to make it something to rely on with my short window.

And the gym membership is something I'm already looking at.
>>
Travel light. Your back will thank you and if your stuff gets stolen or you lose it you're not out much. Anything of value needs to be kept directly on your person and not in a backpack. Learn to defend yourself or carry a gun, legally or otherwise. This is survival. The police are hunting you for being a vagrant and an easy arrest. Predators are hunting you for literally not existing and being easy to rape, rob, and murder. Other indigents will see you as a source of clothing, money, or food. Save your money. Do not stand out. Do not cause trouble. Don't hang around the same place everyday. Remember that this will not last forever. Most people are not homeless for longer than a year. Find work, both to busy yourself and as a source of income. Do not trust craigslist.

I was homeless for ~8 months in Texas. Ask me anything.
>>
>>23924876
You can always take the graveyard and sleep during the day
>>
>>23924768
take a shower and clean your clothes regularly
>>
>>23924768
do you have a plan for getting back on your feet
>>
>>23924856

No worries!

Even if I do not have too, I actually do it.
It is such a shame to find perfectly edible food, wasted because there is no more room on the selves.

Often you get to eat even better quality stuff than if you were paying for cheap stuff.

Good luck!
>>
>>23924909
List of things you had with you?

>>23924926
When I get off the bus I'm going to just start looking for work, and potentially a homeless shelter. That's the only plan I have right now.
>>
>>23925181
>medium ALICE pack
>smaller civilian backpack
>two changes of comfortable work clothes
>waterless shampoo
>at least two 20oz bottles of water
>three-four cans of cheap food
>$20 for emergencies
>good steel toed boots (never know when the opportunity to earn a few bucks or a meal comes along) that are comfortable to walk in
>first aid kit
>foldable knife
>short barreled blackpowder revolver (legal to carry without a CHL in Texas)
>roadmap of my area
>cheap cell phone and portable charger
>Bible (helped me out when I got down, anything that can motivate your or help you see some hope is good. Stay positive. Not going to preach to you.)
>important documents in wallet in waterproof bag (These would be your SSC, DL, State ID, etc.)

Temp agencies will take literally anyone. Keep your head up. There are still good people out there.
>>
>>23925241
Going to sleep now, but.

What'd you do in the event of the things you mentioned? Police hunting you down? Robbery? Murder? Self-defense if you don't have a gun?
>>
>>23924869
that is one of the stupidest things I've heard, and that's saying something on /soc/
>>
>>23925275
Be nice to the cops. Don't kiss ass, just be polite. Obviously try not to do anything to get their attention. Avoid them. If they don't know you're homeless they can't bother you. The most they can get you for is vagrancy or loitering, but considering your situation that's enough to screw you. I was forced to comply when I was robbed. Guy only took my money and actually gave my wallet back and said thank you. If you haven't got a lot of money, just give it to him. Try to keep people at least 20 feet away from you at all times. I've seen murder victims in bad parts of town but no one ever directly tried to kill me. Self defense - I suck at fighting. Swing a blunt object or keep pummeling their face til the noise stops. Go for the balls and eyes, too.
>>
>>23924768
Live with your parents until you're able to sustain yourself.
>>
>>23925241
carrying multiple bottles of water is dumb, and buying bottled water is a waste of money. just buy a refillable water bottle. an oko is $20 and comes with a filter that can make pretty much every source of water within the u.s. safe to drink
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.