[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any vegans/vegetarians on /soc/? I never tell people about it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /soc/ - Cams & Meetups

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: hoomin.jpg (136 KB, 756x576) Image search: [Google]
hoomin.jpg
136 KB, 756x576
Any vegans/vegetarians on /soc/? I never tell people about it on other threads, and I've never told anyone I got friendly with via Skype threads etc. Might be nice to be open about it, maybe meet some like-minded people without feeling like you're being a self-righteous dick
>>
Being a vegan/vegetarian is not even a big deal. Anyone who says otherwise is just a meme.
>>
>>23369851
Yeah I know, most people just say 'oh, ok', some are genuinely interested in it and it can lead to great discussions, but the eye-rolling 'oh, you're THAT guy' does happen and it's something I really don't want. It might be projection, I cringe at a lot of the things fellow vegans say on social media and I do think that a significant number of us are just like the stereotypes. I'm not shy about polemics, I make sure I'm well-equipped to deal with arguments and do it pragmatically, I'm just always reminded of this joke
How do you know if someone's a vegan?
They'll fucking tell you
>>
>>23369880
I was a pescutarian for like 8 months, I couldn't hold out but I would do it again probably. The people who feel the need to debate over life choices need suicide. Who cares, honestly.

If some one wants to go on about their gluten free diet, I just tune that shit out.
>>
File: qqqq.jpg (433 KB, 1308x982) Image search: [Google]
qqqq.jpg
433 KB, 1308x982
i ca-can-cant stop
>>
File: fraldinha.jpg (72 KB, 616x260) Image search: [Google]
fraldinha.jpg
72 KB, 616x260
mmmmmm
>>
>>23369896
Well I agree with most issues, I think not enough people appreciate others for being truly different. For example, you might see a guy being really masculine, over the top masculine, and think he's a dick, but really if you got to know him you'd see there's reasons and values behind it which have pros and cons.
With eating meat, it's a serious contributor to avoidable deaths and illness (therefor taxes/insurance premiums), to climate change and pollution, to resource shortages (potable water for example), pandemics, and although this is probably the least objectively provable it's a serious moral issue. We're talking billions of animals quite literally living in torturous conditions, if you're really feeling the impact of every one of those like you do with pet abuse (even if they're shit-tier intelligence animals like chickens) then you'll want to talk about it. Basically do what you like unless it harms others, and unfortunately we feel this does harm others
Pescutarianism seems to make sense ethically but it's really bad for ecosystems we don't know much about and a lot of health arguments still apply, I considered it for a while so I really wanted it to work
>>
I've been a vegetarian for just over 10 years. It's all right.

I'm planning on doing some travelling to other countries this summer, so I'll probably ease meat into my diet for a month or so beforehand so that I don't spend my vacation shitting myself when the inevitable cross-contamination happens. It will be cool to treat myself to a Happy Meal for the first time in a decade. Otherwise, I'm pretty indifferent.
>>
>>23369817
Vegetarian.

Not for health reasons, god no.
I just killed 4000 odd calories worth of fruit, nuts and greek yogurt.

I binge eat like a motherfucker, and it's easier to do that with raw food, which would basically kill you, with meat.
>>
File: nppbNtfh.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
nppbNtfh.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
So do any vegans/vegetarians happen to have diabetes, PCOS or anything that causes insulin resistance? If so, how do you deal with that? What do you eat and steer clear of? Do you feel better not eating animal products?
>>
>>23369911
Yeah I miss the texture of some foods, and it's sometimes inconvenient, but we don't have protein or fat taste receptors so all the taste of meat comes from cooking or seasoning with plants. I'm also yet to find anyone who can tell the difference between soya and beef mince in bolognaise or chilli. The soya mince has more protein, less sat fat, costs the same, isn't as carcinogenic/insulinogenic/etc and doesn't have the general ethical baggage.
>>
>>23369817
I haven't eaten meat in about 10 years.

It isn't really something I talk about since it should be a personal choice and I don't care what other people do with their mouths.
>>
>>23369941
...are we the same person? I've visiting southeast asia and don't want to spend all my time vomiting.

I forgot what meat tastes like and won't know until I need everything to evacuate my body.
>>
>>23369940
>but it's really bad for ecosystems
Seafood is generally more eco-friendly than most of the plants we grow for vital protein.

Also iceberg lettuce is worse than red meat by basically any measure.
>>
>>23369941
Yeah, within a few months animal products just didn't feel appetising. I've eaten them to be polite and out of neccessity but indifferent is the right word. Big macs are the only thing I sometimes kinda want, McDonalds have their ad game down
>>23369944
Yeah, I've noticed that I don't feel bloated and sluggish after huge plant-food binges. You tried soy yoghurt? It's pretty damn good, I loved natural yoghurt before
>>23369964
I can tell you academically that it looks like fruit may actually improve insulin resistance, because of fructose but also the fiber and micronutrients. Either way, it's better than eating like chocolate. Also animal protein is as insulinogenic as glucose gram-for-gram. In general, eating a diet full of fiber and complex carbs is positive for diabetes etc, but do more reading as I haven't read up on this for a whie
>>
>>23370012
I don't think soy yogurt is an option at my local groceryplace.

Sides which, It might be a bit overboard on the soy, considering 3 days a week is basically soy protein. How does it compare to regular yogurt?
I was not a fan of soymilk.
>>
>>23369987
I am also going to Asia, so I think we might be. Which countries do you plan on visiting?

Yeah, I don't remember what meat tastes like, really. I've definitely had a couple of cross-contamination incidents over the years (from things like soup bases or not using separate cooking instruments), and I feel like going to such a meat/fish heavy area of the world where I don't speak the language is just asking for punishment, so I've decided to plan ahead and incorporate small amounts into my diet beforehand so that I can not worry if my "vegetarian" dish is actually 100% meat-free.
>>
>>23369997
The FAO says over 70% of fish species are over-fished, I meant food webs more than the habitats. That's seriously unsustainable, and yeah plants for 7 billion people are going to fuck some shit up but 1lb of beef takes 16lb of grain as feed to produce.
Which measures? Not ethics, resource use, cardiac risk, diabetes risk, cancer risk. They're not really comparable, meat should be compared to something like beans or seeds/nuts, you should be eating these low-calories salad vegetables even if you're not veggie
>>
>>23370023
Yeah it's a shame that the same thing can make convincing beef, milk, ice cream, chicken, etc etc. It is a complete protein though, and as long as you keep your other food diverse there's no problem. It has that similar tangy sour taste and a creaminess, it definitely tastes different but it works for whatever you'd use real yoghurt for. Doesn't taste like soy milk, I don't think so anyway. It's worth checking out if you do see it
>>
>>23370035
Thailand, primarily. I know that I could find some vegetarian options but cooking in animal fats has been one of the major sources of stomach upset for me.

I hope you're going somewhere wonderful and full of vegetables.
>>
>>23370055
Iceberg lettuce provides practically no nutritional or caloric value to humans. It can only be considered a filler.
>Not ethics
Destroying the ecosystem and thousands of animals with fertilizers is unethical. The environment is more important that one animal.
>Resource use
Huge waste of resources and source of pollution for a non-food
>Cardiac risk, diabetes risk, cancer risk
Same as not eating

1. fish are not the only kind of seafood
2. shellfish and seaweed agriculture is some of the least damaging forms of agriculture
3. it's fairly easy to choose sustainably caught food http://www.seafoodwatch.org/
4. seafood is the best source of protein from an ecological and ethical point of view
>>
>>23370105
Yeah, it is a really inefficient way of getting in nutrients. What it has is all good but the amounts of even vitamins and electrolytes are pretty negligible, this is why I said it was a poor comparison but you're not wrong.
Ah ok, honestly I don't know enough about shellfish and seaweed but I'll have a look. I don't have any moral issues with eating bivalves in theory, I'll look into the surrounding stuff with an open mind. That's why I considered it, in the end I felt like I was saying 'that's pretty good, for an animal product' but with different priorities and motivations I see how I could have stuck with it
>>
>>23369817
>>23370168
I'm veg️ Skype/ Kik?
>>
>>23370212
My Skype is Vac Shop
>>
>>23370082
I've heard Thailand is beautiful! I'm planning on hitting up Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and possibly Vietnam. A friend and I are taking a month to travel, and those are our loose plans currently. We have friends in Korea and Hong Kong, so those will be on the schedule for sure, and I can't go that close to Japan without visiting, so that will get done, even if it's just a quick trip for a few days.

I'm sure lots of tasty vegetables will be eaten. And way too many sweets.
>>
>>23369817
I'm a vegetarian for health reasons and can't fucking stand any other vegetarian or vegan I've ever met. Vapid, uneducated cunts the lot of them.
>>
>>23370261
Yup, I think they're so smug about it because it's the first time they've ever been right about anything. Well, that and climate change, but I don't know if they really know what that is, they just know THE MAN is doing it
>>
jacob
>>
Lol another fucking look at me im a vegan thread

Good thing you're able to overlook semen being an animal product
>>
>>23374013
kek
>>
>>23374013
Another? This is literally the only vegetarian thread I have ever seen on this board. And meatfags are FAR more obnoxious about not shutting the hell up about their diets than any hippie fruitarian could EVER DREAM of being.

>Hurr Bacon meme!
>Why you not eat steak?! You gay?
>Muh bbq!
>Hurr vegetarian mean "bad hunter" hurr!
>PETA mean People Eating Tasty Animals HURR HURR I SO FUNNY
I have known many vegetarians in my life and not ONE of them ever felt the need to talk about it until it came up topically in conversation.

How do you know someone eats steak?

Don't worry, they'll be sure to tell you within 15 minutes of meeting them.

How about you just get that penis implant already and stop crying over other people doing something good for their health and the environment.

>Hurr plants bad for environment! Meat good because Murrica and I can't comprehend the trophic pyramid! We don't need no commie science and shit!

Now grow up.
>>
>>23374013
yeah but it doesn't hurt a human to get it out of them
unless they're kinky I guess
>>
>>23370289
I worked in the dairy industry, have slaughtered cows, chickens, pigs, even after raising them from birth, and then worked in a kitchen professionally butchering. Right? We were always humane with our animals, they always lived longer than standard market, and I wouldn't argue that the current standards are absolutely disgusting, they are. But the only reason I'm a vegetarian is because of my heart. No matter how much nonheme-iron you intake, your body does not process it the same way that it does heme-iron(which you only receive from animal products), among a myriad of other problems this just stacks against the logic of "doing it for health reasons" for 90% of vegetarians. That 90% are self-righteous assholes who would rather see overgrazing and disease destroy natural biomes because wolves tear throats out of animals to eat and "that's wrong".

Vegans are actually retarded.
>biology major with a minor in nutritional sciences and sociology
>>
>>23374561
You literally don't know a god damned thing about what you're talking about. Cattle ranchers are literally one of the MOST anti-environmental forces in all the WORLD. Cattle GAVE diseases to native North American megafuana, which HUNTERS exterminated most of anyway. Meat eaters are the cancer literally killing the world. Vegetarians are righteous. Meatqueers are SELF-righteous and WRONG.

And as far as health is concerned, it's been known for decades that the ideal human diet is one high in fiber and low in sodium, saturated fat and red meat. Red meat LITERALLY gives you fucking cancer:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/dec/29/red-meat-cancer-varki-neu5Gc-sialic/

Meatcunts are some of the absolute most abominable humans alive. You're wholly given over to evil and the destruction of the biosphere because you like how animals taste and you're such abject sociopaths you believe that's reason enough to do whatever the hell you want. There is no such thing as "humanely" raising an animal for slaughter. If you don't believe me then do it to your own child or you're a lying fucking hypocrite. And predators are not necessary for megafaunal populations. Introducing wolves into Yellowstone was one of the things that caused a still-continuing population collapse of Elk in that park. What's hilarious is that the same bastards always warning us of how "overpopulated" grazing animals will get NEVER believe in human overpopulation, which is 100% the ONLY threat to the biosphere AT ALL.
>>
>>23374731
>>23374315
I can't tell if this is satire or if you are actually this deluded.
>>
Vegan reporting in.
>>
>>23374731
Are you fucking stupid?
Reread my post where I said that the current standards are absolutely disgusting. I didn't say eat red meat, but that you should simply eat some form of meat or animal product, be it fish, eggs, or bone products. What's funny, is that if you did even the slightest research outside of your safety box, you'd notice that there is no substantial support to the claim that the megafauna was wiped out by overhunting or even disease brought by man that wasn't already present in the ecosystem. Your capitalization of key words does nothing for your argument, except for make you look over emotional about a scientific debate. Megafauna was on a decline because of reduction of oxygen levels and natural changes in water routes, and as has been proven time and again by record, hunter gatherer societies that flourished during that time only ate what they needed to, and allowed most herd animals to maintain a populous so they could balance.

You're going off on too many tangents, I don't eat meat outside of fish, so that's null. I never said "meatfags" weren't pompous, nor that humans aren't also overpopulating. You realize that you did absolutely nothing with your post except for support mine in that vegetarians and vegans are self righteous idiots?
>>
>>23374766
Great rebuttal. I guess you win this time.

>What's funny, is that if you did even the slightest research outside of your safety box
I've done more research on this subject than you'll ever do in your entire life. Don't flatter yourself, know-nothing.

>you'd notice that there is no substantial support to the claim that the megafauna was wiped out by overhunting
And you claim to be well-read on the subject? What a retard. The evidence is becoming more clear all the time that fags like you want to deny: humans caused the Pleistocene megafaunal extinctions. Pic related - total coincidence. I'm sure it was "The Ice Age", again, since you're so well-read on the subject, I'm sure that phrase is very meaningful to you (it's not to anyone who understands geologic time).

>Megafauna was on a decline because of reduction of oxygen levels
What utter horseshit.

>and natural changes in water routes
Wrong again, Einstein. Monkeys like you keep wanting to pass the blame off onto other forces so you don't have to look like the genocidal maniacs you are. The fact is, megafaunal extinctions are already PROVEN to have occurred entirely due to humans in places such as Australia, and Pleistocene mass extinction events at totally different time periods, which ONLY occur around the same time humans arrive on the continent. And even in modern times, it's hunters that have exterminated the vast majority of the megafaunal species of animals that have gone extinct in recorded history.

>and as has been proven time and again by record, hunter gatherer societies that flourished during that time only ate what they needed to, and allowed most herd animals to maintain a populous so they could balance.
This is absolute "noble savage" fiction, and I can guarantee you didn't get this from actual academics.

>You're going off on too many tangents
I'm correcting all the points you were wrong about. And interestingly only one of us has actually sourced our arguments. Odd.
>>
>>23375088
Forgot pic.
>>
>>23369817
>rudimentary, blunt canines
ha
>>
>>23375088
Please, just stop. You're obviously an idiot who's too emotionally involved in the subject and all you're accomplishing with your bitter posts is giving the rest of us a bad name.
>>
>>23375088
I'm a biology major specializing in historical ecosystems, ma'am.

Your entire post is so full of garbage I can't even believe there are still people like you around. Have a good night, good luck finding happiness in your delusion.
>>
Factory farming animals is usually inhumane. However, eating free range or wild animals is not the least bit unethical.

It's funny how people look down on hunters for killing their own food but wouldn't think twice about killing a mouse or snake or bug that got into their house. I what makes the life of an ant or rat worth less than a deer or rabbit's? People are hypocrites
>>
>>23375096
How is this relevant? Even if no one ate meat, large mammal populations would drastically drop due to habitat destruction. Either we need to limit our population, or other large mammals populations will be limited. If you want to argue that being a living part of the population is unethical, good luck.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.