[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it? Can it be? It is! AMA thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /soc/ - Cams & Meetups

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: 1454922596945.png (16 KB, 253x249) Image search: [Google]
1454922596945.png
16 KB, 253x249
Is it?
Can it be?
It is!
AMA thread!
>>
I'll start with these "simple" questions:
>Is time real? Elaborate on your answer, sillies
>What does family mean to you?
>Do you believe in fate/a guiding hand?
>What is human nature?
>Would you say we act as we're meant to or do we behave in a way that goes again our nature, why?
>>
File: 100_5174.jpg (848 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
100_5174.jpg
848 KB, 1944x2592
>>23322994
>>Is time real? Elaborate on your answer, sillies
Yes because science.
>>What does family mean to you?
People I tend to avoid. My family are cunts.
>>Do you believe in fate/a guiding hand?
No. Life is chaotically neutral like 4chan.
>>What is human nature?
Selfish, hateful, afraid, etc. Something to overcome.
>>Would you say we act as we're meant to or do we behave in a way that goes again our nature, why?
We tend to act according to our natures, which is a sad thing.
>>
>>23323006
Why is it a sad thing?
Why do you link family to the people you share blood with?
>>
>>23322994
Yes, because I'm having the time of my life.
Not one bit as of yet.
I believe in guiding myself but then again society as a whole plays a big role in how my life turns out.
>What is human nature?
Distinguishable characteristics that humans tend to have.
>Would you say we act as we're meant to or do we behave in a way that goes again our nature, why?
We make human nature what it is with the impact that society has on our daily lives. We make up stereotypes and what's right/wrong.
>>
File: 021216.png (332 KB, 346x485) Image search: [Google]
021216.png
332 KB, 346x485
>>23322976
Of course it is. Time just like gravity are tools that make our universe evolve the way it does. Also just like length, width, and height make up our dimension. Time makes up other dimensions.
Everything. I can't even imagine where I would be without the support of my family.
I'm Catholic so yes.
>What is human nature?
Evolutionary psychology. Attitudes and actions we resort to when we can't think of any other solution.
I believe it depends on the individual
>>
File: IMG_20160209_175427951.jpg (551 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_175427951.jpg
551 KB, 720x1280
beyond reasonable doubt? yeah
without doubt? no
it's not the best use of your mental resources to debate this though, all evidence points in favour of time existing (at least within our consciousness)

not much
in the future (waifu/next generation) maybe people who i can be proud of and people who are proud of me

i'm my own

>What is human nature?
do you want me to list all ways in which human nature manifests?
i'd argue complex language and insatiable desire above that of other animals
these two seem to distinguish us from other things on this planet
this probably isn't human nature though - if we find some alien race that shares the above characteristics then they're better classified as 'sentient nature' rather than 'human nature'
there's unlikely to be any trait that is unique to humans throughout this entire universe, so i doubt distinguished human nature is a thing
how can we go against our nature, anon?
everything we do is constrained by the bounds of nature
i suppose people create synonymity between our nature and our innate desires, but our will to deviate from our more base desires (or those that we share with other earthy animals) is as natural as the desires themselves

good questions, anon, you used up my character count
will ask in next post
>>
Idk, man.
People who will support and love you regardless of faults. (Don't have to be blood)
Nah
>What is human nature?
Violent and evil.
>Would you say we act as we're meant to or do we behave in a way that goes against our nature, why?
If this is supposed to be a follow up to the last one:We (mostly) act against our nature, because early on we realised that if we followed it, we'd end up destroying ourselves.
>>
>>23323091
It can be argued that time is just a figment of our reality, that it is just a persevered phenomenon that has no beginning nor end there is simply the now. The "past" is part of the now and the future is also part of the now. It is just a different name given to the same part of time...

I'm poorly parroting some things I've heard but, hey, I can try to elaborate on this.

>>23323091
how can we go against our nature, anon?
The socialization we endure from early childhood teaches us that some of base instincts are wrong. We are taught that aggression , greed, and loud behavior is anti-social and thus we're made to restrict ourselves enacting those "negative" actions in order to fit in. Yet aggression is a key part of our nature, greed and desire is what many of us use to cope with daily life and yet it is labeled as bad and as such people try to stray and desire not to desire.
>>
A real measurement. We use it to know how much daylight we have or how long until the seasons change. It's not tangible though. We can't touch it or travel through it.

People I care about and they care about me. Family is important but not important enough that I won't cut ties for my emotional/mental health.

No.

>What is human nature?
Why do you have to get all philosophical? I'm all up in my philosophy class today. I don't really feel like answering you deep human nature bullshit right now. Or ever, really. I hate philosophy.
>>
These questions can (obviously) be answered by anyone, but I'll direct certain ones towards certain people

>>23323090
>do you believe that your belief in God (more specifically, your belief in an afterlife) has made you:
>happier?
>a better person?

>has your belief ever lapsed enough for you to identify as agnostic/atheist for a period of time?

>>23323066
>do you identify with any personality disorders?
>would you prefer to tend towards normalcy or abnormality in your thought processes?

>>23323006
do you think we would be happier as a collective if we were to solely follow our 'human nature' (by this i mean our base, unrestrained desires, probably induced by the removal of rational thought from our brain's arsenal)

>>23323111
>It can be argued that time is just a figment of our reality, that it is just a persevered phenomenon that has no beginning nor end there is simply the now.
yeah, it can be argued, hypothetically
no evidence points in favour of it though
if i'm going to assume that all of my senses are wrong (which i'd have to in order to disbelieve in time) then i'd not have enough time to ever ponder a thing in my life that follows the assumption that my senses are mostly true
i can't be bothered with that

as for the next part
again, we restrict our baser nature (aggression, greed and desire in your terms) based on the power of other parts of our nature (reason and fear). nature overcomes nature, people don't overcome nature.

>>23323120
>I hate philosophy
why?
>>
>>23323120
>I hate philosophy.
Why?

>>23323120
You can, in a sense, travel through time.
It's possible for me to jump ahead of you in time, does that class as traveling through it merely reappearing at a different interval.
>>
>>23323129
Your senses can and do present you with false answers though. Your reality is subjective, what you see is different than what I see, what you hear is different than what I see and so on.
We're experiences the same reality just different versions of it, are either of us right?
>>
>>23323103
What is evilness?

Some people do exhibit self destructive tendencies without being openly malevolent.
So what do you say to that?
>>
>>23323149
>Your senses can and do present you with false answers though.
Yes, I know that much. Senses fuck with you all the time, but they are still a very useful mode of creating assumptions that are very unlikely to be wrong. I trust my senses more often then I don't.

I'm not too sure that time can even possibly be proven to not exist though, so I see little point in discussing the topic. If you can find a single person who does not experience time, this debate would again have purpose in my eyes

If we prove that time doesn't exist, would that even help our current situation? What insight would that give us other than being another case of 'your senses are subjective'. Why would it be more significant than 'what if yr blue is my green!!'
>>
>>23323129
>>do you believe that your belief in God (more specifically, your belief in an afterlife) has made you:
>>happier?
>>a better person?
Yes! When I was around 12 I used to be such an insufferable person, absolutely immature. Now I'm a much more optimistic and upbeat person.
>has your belief ever lapsed enough for you to identify as agnostic/atheist for a period of time?
No not at all.
>>
>>23323167
Very true, it could provide with an insight into what occurs at an event horizon but aside from that I can't see it being all that useful.
>>
>i no longer get (You)s when people respond to me
anyone know why?
>>
>>23323129
>do you identify with any personality disorders?
I don't, I was believed to have depression at 14 or so but that's as far as it got.
>would you prefer to tend towards normalcy or abnormality in your thought processes?
Define this. What's considered abnormality?
>>
>>23323182
It happens to me sometimes, no clue.
>>
>>23323161
Evilness is the act or instinct to be destructive towards other things.

I say that people fight their nature all the time, but some people don't deal with it well, so it becomes self inflicted.
>>
>>23323192
>Define this. What's considered abnormality?
I was going to attempt to define this in my question but I was having initial difficulty and left it open to your interpretation.
I suppose the main mode of abnormality (or the thing that is the catalyst for eventual abnormality) is true scepticism.
Excusing the positive and negative connotations that come with the following terms, would you rather be:
A member of the pack or herd of human ideology and thought, or a person who's scepticism has led him to places in which he is shunned and ridiculed by the herd? (as people with original ideas usually are)
>>
>>23323200
So people choose to suffer?
Also, you cannot create something new without the destruction of something old. (Hindu god Shiva said something like this)
>>
>>23323207
Yes.

And back to human nature being violent and evil.
>>
>>23323205
Or glorified for being a profound thinker.
As much as I'd like to be creative enough to branch out I'm certain I'd be classified as one of the herd. My life hasn't been anything out of the ordinary.
>>
>>23323208
I fail to see why destruction is morally wrong.
Would you say the eradication of a negative presence such as a bomb is evil?
Removing the bomb so that people can continue to live and breath is good, yet it involves the removal and said bomb.
I'm trying to get across the destruction and evil are not the same.
>>
>>23323222
Morals are purely subjective, if it's not an opinion you share, you're never going to see it as I do.

>Would you say the eradication of a negative presence such as a bomb is evil?
It's ironic that you ask this, because what gives the bomb its negative presence?
Oh yeah, destruction.

Also, my 'other things' was referring to living things, not objects.

>I'm trying to get across the destruction and evil are not the same.
You didn't get it across very well, because your example of something wrong/evil/negative was something that destroys.
>>
>>23323219
>Or glorified for being a profound thinker.
in most cases the glorification only comes after death, but i suppose immediate glorification can occur

>>23323234
What if (hypothetically for now) society always tends towards stagnation, absence of scepticism and lack of progress?
Would a small amount of destruction (that is, the destruction of the illusion of the indestructibility of society) be justified if it were to spur society towards another era of growth, innovation and original thought?
>>
>>23323241
What is or is not 'justified' has no relevance.

Any sort of scenario or reason you want to justify something doesn't actually matter, because it's not in at all taking away from the fact we're naturally evil and have a need to destroy things.

Hell, the example you gave is great, because humans need to destroy shit in order to get a remotely beneficial outcome.
While, again, I wasn't originally referring to destruction in general, but a destruction of another living being, it still supports what I'm saying.
>>
>>23323258
>naturally evil and have a need to destroy things
what is evil?

also, what are we using the term 'destruction' to describe here?
does your stance differ from that of a conventional utilitarian?

what if the way to shatter the illusion mentioned in my post was to destroy another living being?
would that act still be evil?
>>
>>23322994

Not OP, but I love these questions, so I'm gonna answer them too.

"Time" as we define it is a measurement, like a meter or a gram. They don't "exist", they just help us calculate things that do: in this case, how fast the earth spins/revolves. In that sense, time isn't real, but it calculates a very real thing.

People you can depend on, blood related or not. I think the people you pick are closer than you to your relatives though. Family is anyone you'd do anything for: anyone you have a sense of community with.

No. First off, you have to ask 2 questions: "Is fate an ever-present entity, or does it show up every now and then?", and "Can we influence fate?"
Omnipresent and can't be influenced? Then do our choices matter?
Omnipresent and can be influenced? Then what good is fate?
Event-based and can't be influenced? Then who chooses when you get to choose?
Event-based and can be influenced? Again, what good is fate?

>What is human nature?
To better ourselves, as individuals and as a species. Our goal in life is to learn, teach, resolve, and comfort.
As we're meant to, for the most part. We do it inadvertently sometimes. You'll hear something that stands out- whether from a tv show, book, movie, whatever- that we then take to heart, changing us.
>>
>>23323268
>what is evil?
I answered that here >>23323200

>also, what are we using the term 'destruction' to describe here?
The act of ruining or destroying another life.
>does your stance differ from that of a conventional utilitarian?
I don't even know what that stance would be.
I just have an opinion.
>what if the way to shatter the illusion mentioned in my post was to destroy another living being?
I've not read any of the other posts on here, and I can't be bothered to do so.
Just going off ' the way to...was to destroy another living being'
Yes, it'd still be evil.

From whatever it is, it probably wouldn't be seen as all that wrong, but that doesn't really matter because *opinions*
>>
File: Snapshot_20160213.jpg (96 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot_20160213.jpg
96 KB, 1280x1024
It's nearer to an illusion of human perception than a real thing, but if we can talk about it it must exist in one way or another.
Restrictions, a constant argument, pride from actions and improvements of descendants.
No, but beginning to lose belief in freewill which would ultimately lead to fate existing.
>What is human nature?
Eat, Reproduce, Die. Although doing what I love and chasing my dreams sounds a lot more enticing, also adds some meaning to my life.
Depends on the person, each individual is different and to generalise us would be to overlook outliers and forget that they exist.

God I type like a fucking ponce.
>>
>>23323284
>Evilness is the act or instinct to be destructive towards other things.
where do you derive this from?

>I've not read any of the other posts on here,
you read my scenario, though. you mentioned it

What if (hypothetically for now) society always tends towards stagnation, absence of scepticism and lack of progress?
Would a small amount of destruction (that is, the destruction of the illusion of the indestructibility of society [by means of killing another being]) be an evil if it were to spur society towards another era of growth, innovation and original thought?

if it is an evil, would it be better for it to not be done?
if not, does this mean that evil is the best course of action?
if it is the best course of action, then why is evil bad?
>>
>>23323306
>beginning to lose belief in freewill
there is no free will
nor is there the opposite
there is just the will of something versus the will of another thing
if will1 > will2 then a thing1 is done
>>
File: 20160115_102324.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160115_102324.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
For all anons
>What's the last thing that made you the angriest you've been in a while?
>>
>>23323322

Seeing your pic, it was the fact that i would never be able to lick your butthole and stick my tongue in it, then slightly choke you while pumping my cum deep inside you.
>>
>>23323322
about a month ago i took a couple of hours out of my day to try to convince some anon on /soc/ to not cheat on his gf with a prostitute
i succeeded but it took way too long and a few other anons were telling him that it's alright provided that she didn't find out

i don't really get angry at many things, infidelity is one of them
>>
>>23323322
The fact that I can't tie you up and cum down your throat on a regular basis. Also your opinions
>>
>>23323322
I haven't really gotten angry over anything recently, just been depressed over social issues due to my life as a shut-in. I can't even remember the last time I was actually angry.
>>
>>23323322
I'm not an angry person but the last time I got really frustrated was when I was at the metro station and there was a gypsy trying to sell magazines.
She stopped at an old man, maybe 80 years of age and wouldn't leave him alone. Followed him around and said please I've got a family to feed. Once she started touching his arm I wen't up to them and asked her if it isn't apparent he's not interested in buying anything.
She glared at me and walked off. No idea why it got me so riled up but it did.
>>
>>23322994
It is real, just pick up a science book.
I was born into my family. I'm not very close with them. But they're the only people you can really go back to.
I don't think things are predetermined, but I do think life will work out for everyone as long as they don't an hero.
>What is human nature?
I don't think that's predetermined. It's effected by external factors.
Read above. If I think human nature is something is something set, then I could answer, but I don't.
>>23323331
You can always dream anon.
>>23323339
Cheaters just want to get others to cheat so they can feel validated.
It reminds me of kids in middle school trying to get others to smoke. "Everyone else is doing it."
>>
>>23323322
I discovered how slow I'm.
It me a few months to realize I was being played by some one.
What about you, Rokku?
>>23323370
...Science isn't really a good way of stating if something is real or not. All science is, is providing tangible evidence to support an idea.
>>
>>23323370
This is probably why I hate it so much
everyone (or at least a vast majority of people) believe that rape, murder, assault and burglary are bad actions in almost all cases, but a relatively large amount of people seem to be okay with infidelity, even though infidelity is likely to impede the victim far more than most cases of assault

i can see a not-too-distant society in which cheating is entirely permissible, my fear makes me angry
>>
>>23323370
>You can always dream anon.

you post too little of your body and your face is always obscured i can't dream to this.
>>
File: 2016-02-12 13.50.30.jpg (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-12 13.50.30.jpg
1 MB, 1080x1920
AMA lads

Of course it is.
It's not uniform throughout the whole universe but it does exist and is real.
A lot. We're very close at the moment.
Eh, sometimes.
>What is human nature?
Fuck off, it's 4:30am.
Bit of both. In certain situations we may have to act in a way that goes against our nature to survive, but then again it is in our nature to survive, so SHHIIIEEET
>>
>>23323370
>It is real, just pick up a science book.

Holy shit you're so duuuuuuumb.

Scientists debate whether the construct of time that we reference in common parlance is accurate or even meaningful.

Much of the more theoretical science around time and being is interpretational. Based in objective data, but still interpretational.
>I don't think that's predetermined. It's effected by external factors.

Aren't those external factors predetermined, though? And aren't human beings shaped by deterministic forces?

Think about it. Human beings are shaped by nature and nurture, right? What choice do they have in either of those? You don't choose your genetics, and you don't choose your upbringing.

You don't choose whether your mother smoked during the pregnancy or not, for example.

You make decisions based on your beliefs and personal inclinations - did you really choose those, or did you gravitate towards some over others as a result of your personality and history?

If you want to talk about "science", the way you so often do, recent neuroscientific studies have posed the idea that conscious choice is an illusion. Just by monitoring activity in a certain part of the brain, they can predict what choice you will make before you consciously know how you will make it.

*You don't even choose how you choose.*

Also, post soles please.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.