[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm from Europe. Please explain to me why being an atheist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /soc/ - Cams & Meetups

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: halloween.jpg (84 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
halloween.jpg
84 KB, 900x600
I'm from Europe. Please explain to me why being an atheist in the U.S. is always being linked with wearing a fedora, while here it's only linked with being intelligent.
>>
Because we have just that many stupid, defensive Bible-thumpers who hate and fear anything that isn't Their-Version-Of-Jesus approved. A study showed that Americans trust atheists less than they trust rapists. It's true.
>>
There's something off about that pumpkin, but I can't put my finger in it.
>>
tips fedora
>>
>>22943895
That is, mainly, because thre are at least two different americas: the cultured, well travelled minority and the ignorant, fat, stupid majority. Also the niggers in an even lower level of understanding the world we live in.
It is all, indeed, a racist fueled problem. Murricans don't want to have a national health system or a universal education system because they don't want niggers to sponge on the goverment. That is why they keep culture and education and all privileges for a minority: in order to protect their already rotten country from themselves. Funny cunts.
>>
>>22943895
Not true, but to answer your question, they are uneducated idiots, with to much ego.
>>
>>22943918
/thread
>>
>>22943916
that is said indeed. In a recent survey they did here, 50 % of the Belgian youths are atheist. I was surprised there were so little. I don't have any religious friends, we think it's kinda quirky to be religious
>>
>>22943928
atheist are considered uneducated idiots, with to much ego? Or people who say that about atheists?
>>
>>22943954
> >>22943895
>linked with being intelligent
If you were intelligent you'd have made the connection.
>>
They're only considered fedoras on the internet. In any case, atheism is undesirable to most Americans because they are stubborn and its just part of their culture.

Atheists are more likely to be egotistical imo, not necessarily anything worse than that though.
>>
>>22943954
Religious types, for the fact that their religion is right, and everyone else is damned or worships false gods. I see no proof in this life of god, but then again I could be wrong, I'm just an uneducated atheist.
>>
>>22943895
There's a lot of young atheists in the US who act like atheism is a big deal as a way to rebel against their overly religious parents. As with any other rebellious teenagers, they're annoying as fuck.

This doesn't happen in Europe because nobody gives a shit about your religion outside of Slavland.
>>
>>22943971
Stubborn/ego, I say their ego doesn't let them see any truth, but their fairytale of a book.
>>
>>22943971
Really? That's interesting. More egotistical because they lack a moral compass in your opinion? They have no value set? Did you get yours from your religion, it tells you what's good and what's bad?
>>
>>22943928
I'm talking about religious types
>>
>>22943971
Stubborn in their ignorance, yes. Also scared of stepping out of the house not feeling protected by a superior entity kek
>>
>>22943981
That's an interesting point. I can see how you're going to associate atheism with annoying, attention-seeking kids then.
>>
>>22943995
Well I am an atheist technically, because I don't believe in a personal god.

I also think atheists are more likely to be concerned with morality than non-religious people.

But for so many of them, lets say the typical caricature of a fedora, to believe that equating oneself to someone worthy of the special attention of some deity is egotistical is ironically egotistical itself.

It presumes the existence of a self that is independent from the happenings of the rest of reality, it separates your self from the rest of the world and sets a special set of rules for it. Hence where the purely societal notions of the undesirability of a large ego come in to play.

This is fine as an internally consistent societal concept, but in reality there is no meaning outside of it, the set of rules for individuals has no place in the wider world.

It is extremely ironic to me that atheists point at the scale of the universe as a reason to be humble, when the conclusion that should be drawn is that there is no meaning there whatsoever, and there is no reason for any conclusions like that to be drawn at all.
>>
>>22943895
Because the norm for America is mental retardation and they're insanely uncomfortable with anything different.

t. someone who has to live with this shit every day
>>
America is huge and has different cultures.
Here in the pacific northwest, atheists are very common. You'll actually get side eyed if you say you're Christian. There's the obnoxious preaching atheist, yeah, but there's more of the impression that Christians are the obnoxious preachers. They're considered bigoted and close minded.

While there certainly are bigoted and close minded Christians, a lot of churches in this area are super liberal. They openly support LGBT, abortion, and atheism.

I'm not christian myself (agnostic) but I grew up in a protestant church. Sometimes I go back since I love the people their and the pastor's philosophical sermons always make me think. I've definitely seen people twitch when I tell them this.

>Why can't we be friends
>>
>>22943895
lmao I'm European and can confirm it isn't linked to being intelligent unless you hang out with pretentious plebs.
>>
>>22943917

underrated post
>>
>>>/his/
>>
europe had Nietzsche, america didn't, that's basically it
>>
File: Cringe_600047_5485384.jpg (71 KB, 780x564) Image search: [Google]
Cringe_600047_5485384.jpg
71 KB, 780x564
Because of shit like this
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.