[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to date with depression? I just tried to get off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /soc/ - Cams & Meetups

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 288x216) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 288x216
Is it possible to date with depression? I just tried to get off ssris while I was with my girlfriend of 3 years. I told her I was probably going to be awkward and sad but she said she didn't care shed stick with me no matter what. I'm a pretty passionate and opinted guy but also empathetic and caring but when I tried to get off I lost all passion charisma humor ect. And on top of that my intelligence significantly dropped. I tried to get back on with no luck and she dumped me and fucked and fell in love with a guy a week later. She was also my best friend and at a time when friends are hard to come by I feel very alone and want to know if I shud try to date now or wait until I get better? Would any girl have done this if she really loved me or would this happen with any girl? I'm good looking in some girls eyes but girls are not shallow
>>
That sucks. I hate to be sexist, but the more I hear about stories like this, the more I realize that women really just don't understand the concept of loyalty. They're like little children that just want to be cared for, catered to, and entertained all the time. It pisses me off so much.
>>
>>22828264
I feel for you anon. I'm a female and had a similar issue with my recent ex. He was my best friend and I'm living in a very secluded town for the time being. I'd say just try and wait until you have stabled out. That's what I'm doing. It's just not worth another heart break that could potentially throw you into another upsetting situation.
>>
>>22828296
I beg to differ. It's depends on the person.
I'd say women would argue that men are
> like little children that just want to be cared for, catered to, and entertained all the time.

In reality we probably all are, we just need the sequence of events to be in our favor for the relationship to ultimately work out.
>>
>>22828310
Elaborate. In what ways are men like that?
>>
I'm desperately trying to manage a translation of what in the blue fuck you're saying here.

As for some of what you're trying to ask... yes. It's possible to date with depression. You need to know that if you have persistent depression you cannot come off the drugs. You'll be on them for the rest of your life. Simple as that. Some people are like that, they need the meds.

I've got problems of my own, I'll be on meds for the rest of my natural life. If you are to a point where you know that you cannot behave normally without meds, then you're stuck.
>>
>>22828264
Other people seem to be able to do it, but I have no idea how.

If I don't like myself, how could anyone else?
>>
>>22828296
Son there are countless examples of men leaving women in worse states, don't develop and Elliot Rodger's complex.
>>
>>22828389
I'm not, but girls are fucking lazy. For example, why are guys always the ones who are expected to make the first move? It's because girls are fucking lazy. They're a bunch of stupid entitled cunts.

And yeah, there are a lot of examples of men leaving women when they're going through some serious shit, but more often than not it's the other way around.
>>
OP here
>>22828328
yeah my bad i typed this in target while i was trying to avoid bumping people. run on sentenses are good vents lol.
>>22828301
can we date. not many people understand how much your personality can shift overnight. and how much your personality is out of your own control and in seratonin and genetic brain chems control. Even though seeming like im not one solid personality type when i come out of an intreverted stage I gain a lot of empathy for introverts. depressions gives you empathy if you can make it out.
>>
>>22828296
It really depends on what the culture is like in your city/area . some have more girls that guys and in that senario men have control because women don't have as much choice. Its all about numbers.
>>
>>22828532
ok i should re read my sentence. my brain is not working properly right now. 8 years of antidepressants will do that to you
>>
Posting here because this thread involves depression, there is no depression general currently and I do not want to shit up the catalog by making another thread.
I consider suicide every day it seems. Right now my daily schedule looks like:
>get up
>discover roommate passed out in some odd location in the apartment
>eat breakfast
>go to class
>do work
>get pissed at classmate for damn near killing me in machine shop/welding/whatever other class we have that day
>eat lunch
>go to more classes
>come home
>get furious at roommate because he pissed all over the toilet seat for the 242345th time
>wish classmate’s fuckup had actually killed me
>go to bed
>get woken up at 3am by roommate singing
>wake up at 6am rinse/repeat the previous day’s grind
I just don’t know what to do anymore. I have no friends. I have never had a girlfriend. I am basically unemployable due to having no people skills. Currently continuing school purely so the government will continue paying for my education/housing. I am always tired and irritable, which when combined with my lack of people skills makes me extremely unpleasant to be around. I just keep continuing the rame routine every day, hoping that something either makes my life worth living, kills me, or pushes me over the edge so that I kill myself.
>>
>>22828313
It differs from man to man.
I could list each way each ex partner portrayed those characteristics. (Ages were: 18,21,25 so it isn't only one age group) But I don't think that would be fair to them, or make any sense without elaborating upon the entire relationship.
>>
>>22828572
I'm sorry man. Try to get through this phase. It will seem like forever. time passes so slow during depression. And even slower because it hard to enjoy anything. have you always been like this? Did you take ssris? its hard to judge a previous thought process with a new dysfunctional one. But if you were not your mind can be restored if you have been likethis your whole life there are diet changes that can alter to an extent but works better over generations. Try a daily dose of tumeric. 5htp. SAMe. non habit forming but have sertonergic and anti-inflamatory properties. Try to keep your mind occupied with video games and get a warehouse job or something. thats what I just did. (personal belief) if you kill yourself the pain wont end, you'll be shot into a dream nightmare like world that you cannot wake up from until your consciousness dissipates into the rest of the universes' conciousness.

It feels good to vent anon rite?
>>
>>22828662
21 now and I have felt like this since I was ~15. I have never taken antidepressants of any sort. Will look into turmeric.
>>
Hey guys,

I'm a pretty content individual. I am happy just sitting in my room, playing video games and talking to my Internet friends. I like to travel some too but I don't need the crazy life or huge goals that most people seem to aspire to.

Anyway, due to my low societal function my Psychiatrist has been pushing Wellbutrin on me a bit. I have never taken any other meds except Adderal (which I take daily.)

Do you guys think I should make the jump to an Anti-Depressant? I'd like to improve my life, maybe get a job and a girlfriend, but as of right now I feel pretty good...there's just no "progress" if that makes sense.
>>
>>22828703
psychiatrists want to put you on meds for their own reputation ego and they get compensated for prescribing specific drugs. you wont hear them say this because it would be against their interest .theres a confidentiality agreement they have to stick by or loose all benefits. They also have massive amounts of debt bec they are pushed socially to have high quality lifestyles so they are stuck in debt and in their job. The drugs work but you are stuck on them. when you get off the depression will get worse maybe months later. A lot of opiate addicts say the withdrawal is worse than painkillers/heroin ect. Wellbutrin is not a SSRI. Its blocks the reuptake of dopamine or norepenephrine. So itd be like taking double stimulants with adderal. Ive heard that stuff can tottally deplete creativity and make you zombie mode. I would suggest smoking weed or doing light doses of psychedelics get a different perspective on how to move forward.
>>
>>22828744

Thanks for the advice. I was aware of the kickbacks and stuff. What gets me about the treatment is that it's not really sustainable, y'know?

I can take Adderall everyday and be moderately fine, but Anti-depressants....I don't know. There's just something different about it that I can't put my finger on.
>>
>>22828264
Happened to me too anon. She was on Prozac at the time and would lapse into these terrifying periods of apathy. Would also bite and slap me a lot when she was excited. In my opinion, I'd never date a girl who had to take regular medication. I even used to take regular meds but I got my shit together (mostly) and haven't taken them for nearly a decade. I still think I have periods of "depression", though. But meds can be fucked up.
>>
>>22828264
My boyfriend has depression and has been on medication for a few years, so yes, it is possible to date while dealing with depression. Of course he has his bad days and becomes quite, but I find that reassuring him that I love him helps build up his mood a bit and being patient. I think your ex girlfriend needed to be a little more patient with you while you were off your medication. Also, finding a way to help lift someones mood while depressed is hard so it's something that's going to take time to learn how to do. I'm just assuming anyway based on your story, so I apologize if that's incorrect
>>
>>22828264
My wife was on anti-depressants for about a year or so and stopped for physical reasons. I can say I saw the same issues you were experiencing and also irritability and erratic fear.
I'm sorry your ex didn't stick with you durring the withdrawal, but I can say with certainty that if you stick without the meds for long enough you will feel better and 've able to meet new people and function once again.
Best of luck to you OP
>>
Stopped my SSRI's cold turkey while I was in a 7 month rehab program. Never do them in my opinion. Especially sertraline hydrochloride. I hope the best for you OP. You'll see the brighter side of your life soon. Just hang on and be patient. I don't know you but I believe in you.
>>
>>22828744

Chiming in as someone currently on Wellbutrin, about 2 months in and I haven't noticed any zombification or loss of creativity. If anything, it clears my head a bit and makes intrusive thoughts.... less intrusive.

That said, smoking weed helps a lot too.
>>
>>22828296
they can act like this because men are fucking desperate.
>>
>>22828264
Medic here.

You need to keep yourself busy. Antidepressants are great and all but wanting to feel better depends on you - no amount of pills is going to fix the apathy.

Find a new project, not a person that will make you happy. Learn a language. Workout. Play sports. I wouldn't recommend spending too much time online/gaming.
>>
>>22828296
I had a guy leave me when I was 6 months pregnant with his kid. I have a bunch of friends who are or were single parents and their exes give zero fucks about the being they helped create. But still I wouldn't go around saying that all men are douche bags who leave when they accidentally knock a girl up. No, anon. All people, men and women, are different. Some people are loyal, some people are not.

OP, why did you get off of your anti depressants?
>>
>>22828264
Fuck that chick dude, she didn't deserve you.

I just came out of a relationship with a girl who's got depression. I had to dump her because friends of her showed me that she's actually pretty unloyal still.

I miss her more than anything but I know I'd hurt more if she hurt me a couple years down the line.

Dealing with her depression was taxing at times, but I'm a very patient guy and managed to put up with it more often than not. I just need to point out that the depression is not at all the reason I dumped her.
>>
>>22830816
thanks man. how long were you on them?
>>22830844
tru
>>22831465
Ive been taking them for 8 years. I mean when I was on the pills I would paint everyday. make 3d models. write long stories of how i thought the earth unfolded. do things that helped me feel better about myself. Whenever I would drink or take NSAIDs/acetamenophen the meds would increase in potency and then over the next few weeks i would go into withdrawl while I was taking them. I thinks its how they build up in the liver and things compete for space. And withdrawl brings total anhedonia(inability to feel pleasure.) and those emotions are the things that motivate you to do anything. So online and video games were the only thing that would make me feel numb. On top of that when you dont feel its very hard to be a creative and successful in gauging how it will make others feel when they view your work.
>>22830808
I tried to get back on because it was so debilitating but when i tried to get back on they didnt work. ESP after 8 years of developing on them. i was 16 now im 24. Right now im in the process of switching to from zoloft(seratraline) to prozac(fuxotene). Im going to be on them for the rest of my life. I wanted to get off because I felt trapped but now ITs not worth it to be in that much pain 24/7. I hope everything is working out with your wife. youre a very dedicated man and i applaud you!
>>22831470
I was scared I was trapped and feeling the false confidence of the drug and sure I had someone that was going to stick by me and support me.
>>22831515
thanks man. Probably a good decision but maybe she has learned from her past mistakes. why not just try to ttalk to her about it?
>>
>>22832072
this is OP btw
>>
>>22828264
You'll be good looking in some girls eyes, and not in others. Some girls are shallow, some aren't. Some would leave you, some wouldn't. You're presenting your own view of the events without us hearing any additional details - it's going to be biased.

Why did you decide to go off meds? Did she encourage you? How long were you off of them? Did you drag her down with you?

I have clinical depression. I've got dysthymia on top of that, so even when I'm not in the middle of a major depressive swing, I tend to be pretty depressed.

I date. I date a fucking *lot*; it's what I am best known for - you *can* date with depression, but it's going to scare a lot of people off. The casual flings I don't let in to see that kind of thing; the long term relationships I do let them know about it and become super open about it, because fundamentally it's a part of me.

>>22828296
Congratulations, you just described people. That's not a gendered trait.

>>22828409
Social expectation and stigma. A lot of the time the women I know who make the first mood get shut down hard because they "emasculated" the guy, or they must be "sluts" because they are being super forward.

Usually women will do a lot of behind the scenes stuff to arrange or facilitate the guy approaching.

>>22828703
Wellbutrin is a pretty solid drug, with low side effects.

>>22828744
Psychiatrists exist outside of the States model; Wellbutrin is a pretty solid drug compared to SSRI's which are all over the place for validity.

Therapy and drugs work best in combination with each other, but you can pursue them individually (to a less effective extent). You're not necessarily stuck on drugs, the point isn't to just go from a full dose to nothing, they will wean you off so your body doesn't crash. I've never had a withdrawal issue from Wellbutrin, and I've taken it with Adderall - it didn't make me a zombie or anything.
>>
>>22828744

Weed and psychedelics can be fun (and I rather enjoy mine) but they don't necessarily solve shit, and can be pretty rough for someone in a rough spell.

>>22828965
For me I just changed my perspective on antidepressants - brain is an engine, engine isn't producing enough lubrication, parts are seizing up and grinding. That being said, yes, it's important to find an antidepressant that works for you - this can take a bit of exploration. Thankfully for me wellbutrin worked phenomenally well with the only real side effect of "I get dry mouth".
>>
>>22832295
I went down slowly 25mg reduction every month. i was at 175 mgs of zoloft. I still had the horrible mental side effects. the physical ones happen only if you cold turkey. the mental ones dont kick in till way later

I didnt insult her but i did vent a lot to her and she said thats what im here for. in the end i think i did drag her down. i didnt really know I was doing it. shes pretty shy and independant and avoided confrontation at every turn. maybe bec i was so fragile. she would encourage me but only if i would vent. I also would encourage her constantly. My personality also shifted from very overly confident and manic to awkward shy brainless and hopeless. No surface level thought could change anything. i feel then think. i cant fake anything but i need to learn to try.
>>
>>22832332
in the past ive gone 3 days without taking it and i couldnt feel the outline of my body. I would in my brain move my arm and watch it move without me feeling it a second later like i was on a huge delay. horrible sweats. and the most uncomfortable feelling ive ever had.
>>22832304
i agree when my meds werent working bec of alcohol i tried mushrooms for healing purposes and i cried for 5 hours straight. horrible times. I wish I could just switch to an DNRI(wellbutrin) but its a total different class of drug than ssri and my dependence on that class is very high.
>>
>>22832295
also was off them for like 6 month period of decreasing. so it was a while. she def encouraged me but she was just doing whatever i thought was right. I mean is a relationship an emotional crutch for people or is it supposed to be ill stick with you no matter what because i love you thing?
>>
Hey OP, sorry about what happened. I'm also very empathetic and I feel your pain. Just know that it is possible to date with depression, as I have been doing it for a while now. Plus until recently I was a NEET and I'm overweight and living at home and I still make it happen, so just believe in yourself :).
Also, I really recommend at least trying Tianeptine. It's kinda like an SSRI but it just completely destroys depression and all the related feelings/thoughts. But YMMV. Anywho, good luck.
>>
>>22832482
how do you beleive in yourself with tardive dysphoria? i can fake believe for a second then my supports crumble and the ceiling of life crushes me. I have a bachelors degree. A job at a factory but i also live at home.
good man though im proud of you. you are proably at least a little charismatic with your depression. this withdrawl/ssri discontinuation syndrome/tardive dysphoria has zapped all of my charisma. thats what im most worried about. Tricyclics can reck ur blood pressure and have horrible physical side effects but act on many different neurochemicals. thanks for the well wishes. i wish you luck as well! you seem to be doing pretty good tho!
>>
>>22832072
OP, anti depressants are good for your health. Just like some people need heart medication to live, you need antidepressants. For you, positive thinking and support probably aren't enough. They certainly help, but they won't work on their own.
>>22828744
Is that why every therapist I've ever had prescribes the generic version? You're a fucking idiot. Telling someone with a mental illness to take psychedelics? And risk making their mental illness far worse than before? Get the fuck out of here.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.