[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sci/ Does anyone have any ideas on how to separate beta carotene,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Capsaicin_Formulae.png (20 KB, 3335x1132) Image search: [Google]
Capsaicin_Formulae.png
20 KB, 3335x1132
/sci/

Does anyone have any ideas on how to separate beta carotene, capsaicin, and 95% EtOH in water?

I'm doing at at home extraction of capsaicin from habbenero chillis using 95% EtOH (Everclear), however as it turns out beta carotene is also readily soluble in ethanol.

Can anyone propose a way to remove the beta carotene from the Capsaicin/EtOH solution?
>>
>>7931785

forgot to mention, it needs to be food-grade. can't be using any kind of industrial solvents or the like.
>>
Figure out how soluble they are. Lower/raise alcohol content accordingly.
>>
Depending on your heating capabilities, you may be able to vaporize off the ethanol and water, then boil off one product (look at their boiling point and melting points). Wikipedia says that beta carotene decomposes, if you can find out to what you could just heat it off.
>>
Maybe try really cooling the EtOH it's in to see if one is rather more insoluble than the other at low T and go appropriately from there... Doubtful you'd get a nice yield.

Maybe organic/polar solvent extraction... Doubt it would be super significant again though.

Maybe making some slight pH changes could change solubilty of the capsaicin? Idk desu baka.
>>
>>7931845

Also a distillation maybe if one is suitably more volatile enough?
>>
maybe you can use oils because they have somewhat different hydrophobicities

propylene glycol is apparently something that makes capsaicin soluble in water, maybe that would work (?)
>>
>>7931847

>>7931847

I'll look into distillation, I have equipment at home that would make this very feasible.

>>7931844

right now I'm letting it air evaporate, and eventually (aka once I'm not lazy) will put it in a hot water bath to evaporate off the ethanol faster, which leaves behind a viscous fluid of betacarotene, capsaicin, and other organic materials from the chilli.

>>7931845

I'll look into the solubility curves at temperature, I'm not looking for chemical grade quality here, just enough to make some dank hot sauce without compromising structure or color.

>>7931858

Perhaps at a certain temperature oil will ready dissolve the beta carotene but not the capsaicin, or vice versa. I have a separatory funnel I could easily use for this.

Thank you all for the input.
>>
>>7931870
Stepping into this one late. Have you considered using Glycerol? Capsaicin is readily soluble in glycerol if I remember right, but beta-carotene's too non-polar. You should be able to readily dissolve the capsaicin in it, boil off your EtOH and filter out the beta-carotene precipitate
>>
>>7931901

thank you anon, will investigate.
>>
>>7931785
i've looked into it before. google organic phase extraction of capsaicin
>>
>>7931963
Only problem is that every single one of these methods uses solvents that are toxic. The methanol you could maaaybe get away with trace amounts leftover, but why would you want that risk? And there's no way I'd use acetone in anything I planned on eating
>>
>>7931971
methanol will evaporate at room temp, you don't even need a vacuum pump/ dessicate so that isn't a problem.

As for an organic solvent that is edible go for glycerol as another anon said or try polyethlene glycol
>>
>>7931989

currently already dissolved in 95% EtOH.

I'm looking for something to separate other organic compounds, primarily b-carotene, from this solution.

So far it seems it seems that a temperature controlled extraction using another solvent is the best thing worth looking into.
>>
What's usually in the remaining 5% of everclear? Water?
>>
>>7932028
U cant go further 95% its an azeotropic
>>
>>7931971
>he doesn't want to defat his liver.
Stay fat shamed pleb.
>>
>>7931971
Acetone will evaporate, you'd be fine.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.