[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is depression curable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11
File: Vincent_Willem_van_Gogh_002.jpg (212 KB, 1256x1611) Image search: [Google]
Vincent_Willem_van_Gogh_002.jpg
212 KB, 1256x1611
Is depression curable?
>>
yee
>>
yee
>>
yee
>>
papa
>>
>>7918929
Weeaboos are a burden on society.
>>
>>7918929
>k-on
shit taste
>>
>>7918865

No. Its simply evolutions way of singling out the betas from the alphas when it comes to mating and job security.
>>
File: new-jersey-pot-1280x960_0.jpg (49 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
new-jersey-pot-1280x960_0.jpg
49 KB, 640x400
>>7918865
HELL YEAH!!
>>
>>7918906
>>7918912
>>7918913
What is the cure, gentlemen?
>>
File: c3JPaFe.jpg (204 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
c3JPaFe.jpg
204 KB, 800x533
>>7918865
I can't remember the name of the place in the brain but the one that's responsible for motor control annnnnnnnd I've got a running theory backed up by the 'exercise lets you have a more balanced life' that it, on top of being responsible for keeping the larger form of your nervous system, the sciatica nerve etc, in a higher tension awareness, which is one of the only cases where 'high tension' is desired as it means general higher passive stimulation throughout the body, which makes you feel better physically, that the motor control portion of the brain developes the amygdala which is, as the theory goes, creates the 'hum' of your brain, and when this is properly supplied, the amygdala, that you gain more overall wellness in your cognitive potential

This shit don't fix itself overnight, take 5 to 7 years for a nueron to go from kamikazi pilot to actually transmitting orders

Other than that you might have hormone problems, start taking steroid shots and you'll feel better the next day if you want a quick fix

>pic related
>lemur wisdom
>>
>>7918865
Depression is a label for a pattern of behaviors and emotions. Can patterns of behaviors and emotions be changed? You betcha.

Part of the dysfunctional pattern involves vague goals or too lofty goals thus depriving the person of the sense of specific failure and achievement.

>>7919340
Talk therapy has proven quite successful for many and does not come with the side-effects of medication.
>>
>>7918865
no
>>7919389
THIS
HOLY FUCKING SHIT SOMEONE IS NOT RETARDED ON /sci/

IF you change your day to day reality depression will probably change. ( habits: reactions, planning )
>>
File: babbys first keyboard.png (111 KB, 721x548) Image search: [Google]
babbys first keyboard.png
111 KB, 721x548
>>7919343
>>
>>7918929
in the test chamber?
>>
>>7918986
eh, how?
if that had really worked it wouldn't exist
evolution is probably selecting resistance against mental illness however
>>
>>7918985
Found the Shaft faggot
>>
File: atiriri16.png (263 KB, 1193x600) Image search: [Google]
atiriri16.png
263 KB, 1193x600
>>7919672
sorry i live in the philippines and i have to pay extra if i want to get a keyboard with punctuation on it i guess youll have to deal with this shit so suck it you stupid attention whore

>pic related
>baragu wisdom
>>
OP I had bad depression and anxiety. I still get slight anxiety after all nighters as a grad student. My recommendation to you is to do two things. 1/ change the way you eat. 2. Change the way you think. 1. I would take alot of complete omegas 3-6-9, magnesium supplements (really help anxiety and help ya poop), vitamin b12 (if you are deficient), probiotics (big link with helping depression the gut and brain are very much connected), cut back on sugar (you don't have to cut it all out just reduce what you take in), and do cardio a few times a week (I like to swim to get a muscle workout too). 2. For thinking I like to do deep breathing exercises and meditate, talk to friends and family, get a pupper, start going outside more and doing new activities, set goals, step outside your comfort zone, change thinking by eliminate irrational thoughts, and see a therapist (they really can help but take awhile). I'm a food engineer and my girlfriend is a psychologist.
>>
I was depressed now I am not, here's how you do it.

First off, stop feeling sorry for yourself. Whenever you do have this mantra in your head. "Stop being such a fucking pussy". Likewise when you feel sorry for other people, tell yourself "Feeling sorry someone is looking down on someone". And start to take responsibility for everything you do and feel. You are in control or can make yourself in control at least if you are strong enough.

Next point, realize that everything is pointless. This is the hardest part, but hope and false promises and dreams are the bane of a trouble free existence. Come to terms with that happiness isn't a real thing and it is sure to pass, as it always does. No girl, no job, no nothing will make you complete. The whole purpose of Buddhist teachings is basically. The goal is to stop searching for a goal. The second you start realizing that calm is what you are looking for and nothing else you are on the right track.

Third, exercise, both mind and body.
>>
>>7920533
>"jus man up bro!"
>>
>>7920572
Nietzsche and Hemingway, I enjoy them.
>>
>>7918865
Yes

>bi-annual doses of psilocin
>>
File: 1456897397966.jpg (96 KB, 504x504) Image search: [Google]
1456897397966.jpg
96 KB, 504x504
>>7919310
I might be the exception but I was suicidal for most of last year and I smoked weed every weekend. It seemed that it was the only time I would have fun was when I was smoking/drinking with my friends.

Since I stopped smoking at the beginning of this year my urges of killing myself have disappeared.
And I don't even really feel depressed any more either. I actually still feel some what "off" because I don't have this weight bearing down on me any more.
Its almost like stepping out of a dark room and having your eyes take longer than they should to adjust to the light
>>
>>7920533
actually not having a goal is one of the main contributing factors to my depression anyway

Once I had something to work toward I stopped thinking about how all I have left is drinking myself to death
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 300x182) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 300x182
SSRI drugs saved my life. Zoloft worked ok but then I changed to celexa and it works even better.

You don't feel drugged. You just feel normal again. Go see the doctor.
>>
File: yee.png (210 KB, 904x954) Image search: [Google]
yee.png
210 KB, 904x954
>>7919340
>>
>>7918865
To be cured from the depression, one has to make choices that feels next to impossible to make at first. Your mental attitude towards life has to change. By choosing to cling on old habits you choose to be depressed. Just let go and learn new ways to look at things. Be willing to lose (fun) in short term in order to gain on long run. Fun doesn't end, it just has to change its shape a little bit. Accept different views of life and give them a fair change. People are not idiots (well they are, but not in this sense) they want to enjoy and be happy. Healthy lifestyle doesn't exist because there are some sadists, but because it will lead to the biggest happiness and well being.

Adequate amount of sleep and healthy lifestyle has a big role on mental health.
>>
>>7920674
Except for the fact that you are still delusional. What if you get injured, get fired or are unable to work towards your goal. Then yer fucked, aren't ya? It's all about reducing expectation and to stop thinking that you are important. However, I do work toward things, I have goals. It's just that I don't care about the outcome other than that it interest me.

What I meant is that you think that there's anything that will actually make you happy, you put too much pressure on that activity. If you get to a state where all you need is food, water and sleep, then the world is your oyster, maaan.
>>
>>7921250
>You just feel normal again
>again

I've never felt normal.

When I think of SSRI helping it's like expecting a pill to reforge me to a completely new person.

I'll probably just sit around paying rent until my savings are dry and then go faceplant a moving train.
>>
>>7921867

SSRI are a good catalyst for change but they really do fuck you up in the long run. SSRI combined with studying philosophy, exercising, eating well and changing your ways would be the best way to go about it in my opinion.

If you rely on SSRI in the long run, you haven't really taken care of the problem, just postponed the day when you have to face it. Also it makes you into a sociopath, you don't feel depressed, you feel "happy" but happiness being your constant state takes a whole lot away from happiness, thus making it pointless. You get no highs or lows, just an even level of not feeling alive at all.
>>
>>7921873
>>7921867

Also, this.
>>7919310
>>
>>7921881
Can't smoke pot anymore. I get paranoid and feel super awkward around other people.

>>7921873
>they really do fuck you up in the long run
I've got fucked up without SSRI so dunno, probably won't harm more.
>studying philosophy
you're taking a piss here?
>>
>>7921867
Take a 'strengths' assessment like Via. Find a values worksheet and fill it out.

You could be doing things that matter to you instead of letting life pass you by.
>>
>>7921888
>take a survey
Why? I've taken several and I've changed line of education once. Turns out that I hate everything except alcohol and game development, neither of which can keep me employed, fed and sheltered.
>>
>>7921884
Well pot does strengthen what is already within one. I had problems with paranoia initially, but keeping at it actually did me good as it made me have to confront my insecurities and paranoia. If you go down the pot route just smoke with people you feel secure around, and hey being awkward isn't a big deal man. The only way to get less awkward is to fuck up a few times and learning for it.

Philosophy is a good way to learn about oneself. Not so much that one should just absorb everything you read as a sponge. But rather to get exposed to different world views. Especially Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra, it was an integral part in me turning my mindset around as it really does put an emphasis on how one goes about to stop giving a shit. Because giving a shit is most likely what is keeping you down. Schopenhauer is quite nice as well, although a bit more depressing. But that's another thing one, life is no fairy tale, it's fucking grim. To quote the movie Network, "You got to get mad".
>>
>>7921894
You don't seriously believe you like just two things in life. A good survey will give you insight into what you find meaningful about the things you like.

Alcohol is an escape from your evaluation that your life is shitty. And your liking of game development is partly tied to your appreciation of gaming but is also linked to a creative urge as well as the value of entertaining others.

You've become such a believer of the words in your head that they're now more real to you than the actual real world. Changing a diaper, frying an egg, making a cup of coffee, cleaning your sink, taking a short walk, etc. are meaningful activities for most people because they're not suckers who are buying what their little minds are telling them. Don't be a sucker any longer.
>>
>>7921884
>>7921900

Psilocybin, is also a really helpful drug. As it forces you to let go off the ego for a while. Being awkward most likely stems from a fear of being awkward, just sayin.
>>
>>7921900
>just smoke with people you feel secure around
I did. Didn't help.
>The only way to get less awkward is to fuck up a few times and learning for it.
Or to not do something that makes me feel terrible. I still take a small puff or two when offered and it's sortof okay, a bit of high and a minor edge of anxiety and paranoia. If I'm alone and about to watch a movie or play some vidya I could smoke some more because distractions but I almost never have pot anymore due to low-access place of living so it's a moot point.

>>7921911
>frying an egg, making a cup of coffee
Are automatic behaviours. They happen because I want fried eggs or coffee.
>Changing a diaper, cleaning your sink
You do the former because it's your job and the latter because you didn't do it for 3 months and you realized a slimy grey membrane is covering everything you left in it.

Neither of them are a meaningful activity, it's blidn maintenance and if I could delegate it to a robot I would.

> Don't be a sucker any longer/Man up and become normal!
Thanks for the worst advice ever, please never give it to anyone else as I'm inclined to kill myself out of spite. You have a completely broken understanding of depression if you're capable of giving such useless suggestions.
>>
>>7921930
Well if it ain't for you it ain't for you.

>Or not to do something that makes me feel terrible
Well I don't want to be that guy but, going against comfort is the only way to break habits. Breaking habits is the only way to change yourself. Changing is the only way to get out of depression, or coming to terms with your insecurities. But that's even harder than changing.
>>
>>7920497
IM RICH BITCH...........!!!!!!!!!????????????????
>>
>>7921930
They're not meaningful activities to you because you only do them out of avoidance or a sense of duty. But they are meaningful activities to many.

When I say don't be a sucker to your mind, it's because there's enough research showing us that our thoughts can come to control our behavior to such an extent that we lose contact with what's happening in the real world.

I don't have the time nor the energy to run you through the requisite steps to move from your depressive patterns which include digging in your heels to new patterns of meaningful behavior. So my apologies when I said don't be a sucker to your mind. I wasn't saying man up. I was saying that your belief in what your mind is telling you is problematic.

I realize that nuance is lost on the internet and that typing is more effortful and slower than speech. But I'm trying to give you a kernel of your way out. If you're on a great path, then push forward. If you know you're not, then it's probably a good idea to change course.

But a course change means changing the way you take that course as well. It's not simply doing things out of avoidance but doing them to make good things happen in your life and the lives of others.

Your resistance to doing a survey is a good example of you buying what your mind is selling you. That it's not worth it. That it's too much work. That you're tried it before to no avail. And how's that working out for you?

The truth is your mind doesn't know what could happen if you discovered your strengths and stated your values. But it's telling you it does and you believe it. It's been running the show and here we are. It might be worth taking the wheel from your mind and doing things even when, or especially when, your mind is trying to get you to go in the other direction.
>>
>>7919340
Suicide.
>Source: Suicide cured my depression.

But seriously therapy has some good results, I found going to the gym was pretty effective; if you look at the literature on exercise and depression you'll see that it seems to have some positive effect on people with depression, however it's often followed with the addendum that poor controls means that it can't be recommended to replace traditional treatments. On a side note I think that it fits in nicely with the increase in depression and increase in sedentary lifestyles, but that's just my opinion.
>>
Depression isn't real
>>
>>7918865
yes, quite simply actually.
Put a bullet in your brain. stop all function. this effectively changes how your whole brain functions to absolutely nothingness.
it is scientifically proven to be a 100% pain killer after the treatment.
treatments are not limited to just gunshots. no no no, there is a plethora of ways to achieve the cure for depression.
Rope, overdose, severing veins to release blood, carbon monoxide. Even sticking a stick of dynamite into your rectum and lighting it will do.
Go ahead, try out this treatment. If you're not satisfied, well that sucks because you're already dead.

I'm now going to go use this treatment on myself by studying physics as the functionality of a real life transformer slowly disentegrates my brain.
>>
>>7920533
>First off, stop feeling sorry for yourself. Whenever you do have this mantra in your head. "Stop being such a fucking pussy".

Yup you've never been depressed nor have you the slightest clue of what depression actually is
>>
>>7918865
it's treatable, curable implies that it's not a nebulous thing, even though maybe in extreme cases it isn't. dunno. don't mess around with the ssri stuff though unless you're an asshole and have a family or something or if you're suicidal regularly

anecdotal evidence: family life improved a ton once my dad started taking an ssri. sucks for him in that when he doesn't get his doses he goes nuts and i have no idea how it affects his ability to think crisply, but for everyone else it's been way better.

otherwise, start hiking or exercising or something. eat lots of yogurt and shit. also alcohol.
>>
>>7918865
No, you'd need a new brain
>>
>>7921250
>took prozac
>didn't do anything
>took lexapro
>made me not give a shit about anything in a negative way and made my dick numb but at least I didn't feel like killing myself
>quit the lexapro
>

ssris are a meme
>>
>>7918865
Depends.

>>7923914
Try Effexor or Pristiq instead.
>>
>>7920533
>le self-diagnosed mental disorder meme
Why is this still a thing?
>>
Meds are not a cure, just a fix. You're cure have to come from within
>>
>>7923914
>took zoloft
>it worked
>no more having no joy in anything in life
>no more being unable to get out of bed cause you have zero energy and motivation
>no more idly wishing you would die but not having the will to do anything
>no more barely eating and drinking cause you don't even have the drive to get out of bed and get food and water

Fuck you depression, pills beat your ass
Fuck yes I'm a lucky cunt. Got one that worked in one shot. Poor cunt of a friend has been through like 7 different ones.
>>
>>7918865
yes, thankfully there's a way out.
the easy one
>>
>>7918865
You control your thoughts. It can be difficult but it is never impossible. Decide to be happy.

And if you need a boost in the beginning, a doctor can prescribe you some anxiolytic.
>>
>>7919389

>mfw the stoics knew this thousands of years ago
>mfw CBT was influenced by stoicism
>>
>>7918865
I have had Major Depressive Disorder for 6 years so no.
>>
>>7919343
They say this anon's posts are still going to this day, as they lack periods whatsoever.
>>
>>7925246
>stoics

Please elaborate.

This has piqued my interest.
>>
>>7921912
tell us more
>>
These threads are always a shit show.

You all mock psychology and psychiatry for not being a real science, and yet so many of you are resorting to anecdotal fallacies and other subjective accounts of depression.

>I had depression and X worked therefore Y doesn't work
>my friend had depression and he said Z
>depression is a meme
>depression is JUST Z, not X
>ONLY X cures depression
>drugs didn't work for me or my friend, therefore drugs don't work for anyone
>I knew someone who took drugs and they still killed themselves, therefore drugs don't work for anyone

Here are some academic studies comparing treatment methods for depression. Take some time to actually read them. I included a mix of studies that that show conflicting results. Try to actually do the research. You'll realize the issue is a lot more complicated it is made out to be.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2933381/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3584580/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12222084
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22071667
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20194536/
http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/vaop/ncurrent/pdf/mp201553a.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26834168
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25931277
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25464360
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26749632
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25464360
>>
>>7927239
tl;dr
>>
>>7927436
some depressions are curable, others not. This
depends on genes and adequate treatment.
Happy?
>>
>>7918865
4chan cures my depression everyday
>>
File: OK_KID.jpg (27 KB, 460x503) Image search: [Google]
OK_KID.jpg
27 KB, 460x503
>tfw had a 6 month depression stint that just ended like a week ago
>like a weight off my shoulders, it was just gone
We're all gonna make it, bros
>>
>>7925964

The main idea behind CBT is that your thoughts influence how you feel. Your unhappiness is caused by irrational, misguided, or incorrect thoughts. You correct your unhappiness by correcting your thinking pattern. The stoics basically said and did the exact same thing.
>>
>>7927660
>6 months
that's not depression, normie.
>>
>>7927698
Well, I would say that it was extremely severe for 6 months. I was suicidal, had headaches, universal apathy, nothing was worth doing, etc... I have felt "bad" for 3 years. No friends, little desire to do things (even stuff I enjoy), scared of social interaction, and hopelessness.
>>
>>7925964
>>7927685
Siddhartha did it first.

read up on buddhism, the holy bible, and some existential philosophers as well.
>>
>>7918865
It's manageable bro. There are CBT techniques that help you undermine the worldviews, beleifs and interpretations of experiences that have led you into depression.

Behavioural activation, where you do shit to fire up the reward centres of your brain by having fun or achieving things slowly helps you believe you can Get Shit Done(tm) and makes you feel more confident in yourself and your abilities.

Antidepressants are a useful starting point for most people who can't do CBT or BA as they're too depressed and the most often perscribed antidepressants are SSRIs.

They don't make you feel 'good' but they stop everything feeling so 'bad'. Once you're up to that state you can start changing the way your brain works with CBT and BA.

Side effects of SSRIs can be an increase in suicidality (uncommon but oh the irony) and anorgasmia, the delaying of, or inability to orgasm (common).

I hope you live in a country where you can be referred to a psychologist, OP. If not, check out Mind over Mood by Greenberger/Padensky. It has all the CBT and Behavioural Activation information in it to help you along. Good luck.
>>
>>7927714
"Sidheartha" isn't real, he's just a deranged fantasy created by Communists to attack the American way.
>>
>>7927698
>>7927713
Also, I'm pretty sure it's considered clinical depression if the symptoms last longer than a month or two.
>>
File: 1456262661589.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1456262661589.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>7927724
back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>7927714

Stoics did it better faggot. And stoicism is directly credited as a major influence on the development of CBT by one of the founders of CBT.
>>
>>7927714

Buddhism and the bible does not compare to stoicism in terms of practical advice. I'd go as far as saying CBT is stoicism with the Greek God's removed.
>>
>>7920457
THIS FAMMMM
FUCKING SHAFLICKERS DIE RITSU BEST GIRL
>>
>>7920533
None of this has nor will it ever work
>>
>>7927732
fucking love that guy. i wish he was lecturing in our uni
>>
>Stoicism
>Physical exercises every day
>Healthy balanced food
>Getting enough sleep every day without interruptions

Do this
>>
>>7929243
I do this and there is still some kind of depression. Like anhedonia, lack of motivation, lack of feeling pleasure from things i used to enjoy. Like i need some kind of purpose in life. Like everythings bores me.
>>
>>7929258
Well, you found the solution yourself there. Find a new purpose in life and don't be afraid of the change.

Sometimes you need to break out of your established life and try something new and dangerous even if other people might think it's stupid or look at you weirdly.
>>
>>7921250
Can confrim this guy, took miansec and sertagen and felt normal aswell.
to all memers that say:
> you dont feel normal you feel high as fuck
At first you feel high as fuck and euphoric when the drug kicks in but it goes down through 3-5 days.
so fuck off
SSRI as therapy are better than you may think.
>>
>>7929274
Don't know how to find it either

>>7929327
I've tried paroxetine and made me an emotionless zombie and anorgasmya. SSRIs sometimes are not the solution
>>
Yes.

Even if the drugs and therapy don't work then DBS will.

http://news.emory.edu/stories/2015/04/hspub_brain_hacking_depression/campus.html
>>
>take meds
>stay at psychiatric hospital for months
>go to psychotherapy
>improve everything in my life
>still despise myself
>still want to kill myself
Depression is cancer of the soul. It cannot be cured.
>>
>>7918865
I don't know if it can be 100% cured, but my meds do make me feel better.
>>
>>7918865
You just will it away.
Stand up and yell, "SICKNESS... BE GONE."
>>
suicide is the best cure
>>
>>7931448
>Depression is cancer of the soul. It cannot be cured.
Have you tried psychedelics?
>>
Depression is a state where your biological functions are depressed. The mind can only experience change and input. Thus the change from depression and the inhibitated stimulus are also feelt.

The longer depression is left untreated or uncared for. The more it becomes a status quo.

It IS a physical state. It is not simply a mind or "get your ass of" problem.

Source: I have severe chronical depression since childhood. Ive trained rigorusouly and studies degress even though ive had the depression.

The point is, depression inhibitats the experience of pleasure. Which is usually diagnosen as anhedonia but is also a cofactor in depression. Pleasure is a main factor for motivation in many choices in life. If you have depression you need to learn and acceptera that things must be done without a pleasurable response. Some people never get cured, like i. After years of treatment. Im not lazy but for some reason it never lets go, and everytime it comes back it get deeper and deeper. So in the end who knows. Till then ill enjoy what i can out of life :) and so should you#
>>
File: me-before-after4.jpg (195 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
me-before-after4.jpg
195 KB, 800x522
>>
im taking venlafaxine for 3 years;
makes me feel quite normal and without this treatment i prob would have killed myself by now
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.