[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fitness, lifting, bodybuilding and science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 14
File: buzz_aldrin.jpg (81 KB, 735x762) Image search: [Google]
buzz_aldrin.jpg
81 KB, 735x762
is working out compatible with science, or it'll make you angry and stupid as the "meathead" stereotype goes ?
>>
My IQ has decreased by 1 standard deviation after reading your retarded question. Thanks op.
>>
>>7770909
when I was little my parents thought lifting weights would stunt my growth and make me stupid, so they only let me play soccer.
>>
>>7770906
Working out will keep you healthy and help you live longer. It's satisfying as hell and makes you look better.
>>
>>7770906
Generally it will improve your mood and might even help you think better. The meathead stereotype is because of people who make working out the primary focus of their entire lifestyle, and if you would take that path you were probably already like that.
>>
>>7770906
Well there's a reason they are called DUMBbells. A man of intellect doesn't touch weights.
>>
>>7770906

I train in an olympic weightlifting gym and there's 4 guys here with Phd's and the president of the club is an orthopedic surgeon. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>7770906
The stereotype is due to cognitive dissonance. People want to work out, but are too lazy to do it. Thus, they degrade those who do.

Working out is the best thing you can do for your physical and mental health.
>>
>>7771629
This, dont believe what the other morons are saying OP
>>
>>7771629
>>7771641
Go back to the gym, stupid meatheads. In the meantime I'll be studying and training my brain - the only muscle that matters. In the end you can say you lifted 50kg, but I will have a degree and make lots of money. Who's the loser then, you failed high school bullies?
>>
>>7771644
>brain
>muscle
>>
Physical exercise is anti-intellectual. Back to >>>/fit/
>>
>>7771644

Lmfao. Thinks 50kg is a heavy weight. Okay, you do that. I'll train 3 days a week for 1.5 hours to look good, feel good, and be strong. As if 4.5 hours of training a week will impact your education negatively. You spend more time than that shitposting on 4chan. Enjoy being an out of shape weak slob.
>>
Do it anon, get a nice body

>>7771625
That's v. Nice

>>7771644
>you can say you lifted 50kg
"Hey man what are your stats?"
"50kg"
>>
>>7771652
"a healthy mind in a healthy body"
>>
Physical strength is literally useless. In the upcoming civil war, it won't matter how strong you are because your enemies will outnumber you and carry weapons. What you really should be practicing is how to hide and survive in the woods.
>>
>>7771661
>surviving in the woods
>physical strength being useless for that

>>7770906
bodybuilding is a waste of time, but staying fit by just going for several walks/jogging a bit helps learn better.
>>
>>7771655
You're just physically lazy my friend. also nice dubs
>>
>>7770906

My advisor is pretty well-established in my field and works out regularly.

My grandfather worked out almost every day and he was very influential on a lot of the work at DuPont from the 40s to the 80s.
>>
>>7771644
The cognitive dissonance displayed by this kind of people has never been clearer.
>>
>>7771674

building muscle to look good and be strong is not bodybuilding, you dummy.
>>
>>7771661

No it isn't. A stronger person can do everything better than a weaker person. Especially anything combat related.
>>
>>7771661
>Physical strength is literally useless.
Human male with high ratios of type 2 fibers here, you don't know how useful it is because you've never had it. I might have difficulty outrunning a superior force over a long distance, but having a raw mechanical advantage over most people your own size or larger is incredibly useful. "Physical strength" is pretty vague though, so I'm going to take it to mean brute strength. You'd have to be a complete moron to imply the ability to efficiently manipulate objects in your environment, carry a backpack, climb things, etc is useless in a civil war. In a fucking forested area no less.

Downsides are caloric use. endurance, and to a smaller extent, capacity for thermogenesis. Luckily my body seems good at this through other means, so it's not so much of a problem.

Hope you never end up against someone like me in this upcoming civil war of your's, especially in closed in spaces where someone who's a bit more clever than you has a natural advantage to begin with.
>>
>>7771685

Let me rephrase that, a stronger person can do everything better than a weaker person, given all other variables are equal.
>>
File: neckbeard-glasses.jpg (41 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
neckbeard-glasses.jpg
41 KB, 480x640
>>7771644
>>
>>7771686
>dat fedora fantasy
A civil war isn't fought by one-vs-one fights without weapons. All that bodybuilding strength of yours won't do shit when you get shot in the head by a ten year old who hides in a bush with a gun.
>>
>>7771661
>Physical strength is literally useless
Sure didn't seem like it when I had to move my couch up the stairs
>>
>>7771699
>A civil war isn't fought by one-vs-one fights without weapons.
Obviously. Close quarters combat would be fairly common in a civil war. You aren't actually thinking about what you're saying, are you? Not everyone would have weapons. Everyone would want shelter and food. People would form groups, roving bands of marauders. There's a lot of ammo out there, but it's not by any means infinite or evenly distributed.

I'm not saying you try to rambo your way to survival. Use your head and stop behaving like a braindead husk. I don't like feeling as though I'm talking to an object.

>All that bodybuilding strength of yours
I don't do any bodybuilding. I don't even work out, I'm just naturally stronger and faster than you. Statistically speaking, that is.
>>
>>7770906
If you have to ask a question like this, you're not going to make it in science or fitness.

Stay pleb, faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 499x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 499x562
>2016
>not doing Inter-universal TeichmĂĽller theory on the gym whiteboard in between your sets
>I seriously hope you guys dont do this
>>
>>7771644

Not sure if trolling or serious.

>be me
>engineering student
>lift weights practice and practice MMA
>my entire class is full of fat neckbeards and ''men'' that weigh 135lbs
>my grades are near the top of the class
>I actually get female attention unlike everyone else in my class (fat ugly chicks do not count)
>just lol

Stay fat and mad.
>>
>>7771644
Lifting increases testosterone which has massive benefits.

Good luck trying to outperform us with you women brain though.
>>
>>7771644

Your post reeks of estrogen.
>>
>>7771796
Men have estrogen as well. Hate to be the one to tell you.

The more fat you have, the higher your estrogen and leptin levels.
>>
>>7771801

You're not the one to tell me that, dummy. I never said they don't.
>>
>>7771801
Weak sissified "men" have more estrogen than men. At least that's the joke, you autist.
>>
>>7771808
I'm on /sci/. I'm reading expecting stupidity, not humor. What you're calling a joke is stupid and cliche. Banal in the extreme.

Thanks for clarifying, but stop posting.
>>
>>7771812

Okay, Professor Neckbeardius Fedorius.
>>
A man should have enough strength and endurance to be optimally functional.

If you can't see the benefit of being physically fit then you're only ignorant of the effect of age.
>>
>>7771813
gonna beat u up, aynoun. u beter shut up!
>>
>>7771812
Fuck me, how far on the spectrum are you
>>
>>7771827
I am a spectrum.
>>
File: nutritionIndex.gif (7 KB, 219x347) Image search: [Google]
nutritionIndex.gif
7 KB, 219x347
/fit/ here.

Can you accurately calculate calories with a weight scale and nutrition facts?

I put some food I plan to eat on scale.
Say the scale reads 1000g.
Serving size in image is 172g.
Calories per serving size is 200 Calories as specified in the image.

Can I calculate the caloric intake by doing

(200cal/172g)*(1000g)?
>>
>>7771848

Just use myfitness pal. Why waste time.
>>
>>7771848
Seems about right.
>>
>>7771790
Should of been doing research instead of working out. Time is too precious to be wasted on something so fleeting as temporary muscle enlargement.
>>
>>7771866
It's more than just muscle enlargement. It's improved mental health, energy, motivation. And the amount of time it takes is negligible.
>>
>>7771866

You spend more than 4 hours per week shitposting, doing nothing, and playing computer games. Instead, I use those hours to train my body. Only a moron neglects his physical body.
>>
>>7771866

''No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

Socrates

You're going to die without experiencing youth.
>>
ITT: fat/skinny slobs performing mental gymnastics to delude themselves into feeling good about their lazyness.
>>
>>7771866

Literally tons of current research articles proving that resistance and aerobic exercise improves brain function.

Its like you don't even into
>>
>>7771866
>Should of

looks like that lack of training is destroying your brain
>>
There's literally no excuse for any man to not go into the gym for 1.5 hours 3 times per week to lift weights.
>>
>mfw lifting has saved my grades

thanks rip
>>
>>7771866
>not taking care of your body
You're a dumbfuck anon. Your body does not work independently of any of its components.
>>
>>7770909
Damn, so your IQ is 4 standards deviations below the mean?
>>
This whole thread is AIDS
>>
>>7771993

If I wanted humor, I'd ask how far along the Autism spectrum you are.
>>
>>7771997
Ahh, so you wanted me to say sarcastic things? What banal humor from such a bright person!
>>
File: Screenshot (320).png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (320).png
1 MB, 1366x768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zzfv952LY
He acts awkard as fuck ...
>>
>>7770906
Usually directly after lifting I turn full retard like my brain is deprived of blood but I return to my superior 130 IQ a short time after
>>
>>7771848
Your have to multiplicate first
1000*2340/173
>>
>>7771883
>1.5 hours
that's overkill tho, totally enough to do half that
>>
God this whole thread is cringy.
>>
For /sci/ folk looking to pick up a physical hobby, I'd try out rock climbing.
I'm doing a math/physics double major and I either rock climb or train 4-5 times a week.
Rock climbing is much more cerebral compaired to going full retard on a set of weights. You have to figure out the proper movement to complete each section every route you work on.
It incorporates cleverness, technique, balance, physical strength, head game (breaking through the fear, keeping the heart rate low) all into one package.
Even if you aren't an inherently strong person (as far as how much raw weight you can lift) climbing, even just for a few weeks/months, will instill a sense of confidence and control over every ounce of power that you have.
Once you start climbing harder routes you really have to use your head and think out of the box to solve the hard sections and link each move. There are even different kinds of climbing (bouldering, sport climbing, trad climbing) and different styles of routes to suite each climbers interests.

If you're interested, check out your local or university climbing gym. If you give it a shot and start getting good, you can start climbing outside on weekends or school breaks.

Basically, physical activity and doing a technical math/physics/engineering/whatever degree are not mutually opposing endeavors.
>>
File: hnfU5TT.jpg (73 KB, 351x500) Image search: [Google]
hnfU5TT.jpg
73 KB, 351x500
>>7772700

yeah but rock climbing doesnt get you jacked and confident

No better feeling than wearing a tanktop while studying in public and seeing all the 'mires at the body you worked so hard to sculpt
>>
File: gold.jpg (27 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
gold.jpg
27 KB, 500x331
>>7772663
>>comes to /sci/ to shitpost
>implying you're strong
>>
>>7771644
This. Only overcompensating brainlets go to the gym.
>>
>>7771655
how can what you posted be anything but a contradiction
>>
If you can't even take care of your own body, what else can you be trusted to take care of?

t. Ancient greeks
>>
File: received_959426324104278.jpg (49 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
received_959426324104278.jpg
49 KB, 1080x1920
Op confirmed retarded
>>
Working out is good for your brain you fucking jackass
>>
>>7770906
>or it'll make you angry and stupid

Only steroids make you angry and stupid.

Strength training will improve your health and metabolism. Cardio training will improve your ability to concentrate and memory. Read that in several studies, google if you like.

>>7770909
That's a lot.
>>
>>7771644
>>
>>7770917
>when I was little my parents thought lifting weights would stunt my growth
My mother thought this too. Joke's on her, I ended up growing to a whooping 5 feet 4 inches height.
>>
>>7773109
>Only steroids make you angry and stupid.

No they don't. Don't speak if you're clueless
>>
>>7772644

No. It will take that long if you're training properly.
>>
>>7773278
>training properly
which is what, competitively? was not talking about that.
>>
>>7773570

To gain as much strength and muscle as possible.
>>
>>7773276
>what is roidrage
>>
>>7773585

>Believes roid rage exists.

Steroids make you more of what you are. If you're a raging cunt before them, then yes, you'll probably rage more.
>>
>>7773585
SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU ASSHOLE! IT'S NOT REAL! >>7773589
>>
>>7773589
That's some premium bullshit right there. Literally google roid rage and read it up.
>>
>>7773719

I just told you, dummy, if you have anger issues, they will likely increase if you abuse roids.

Unlike most of you clueless shitalkers in this thread, I've actually used steroids and know people that have.
>>
Most people get the motivation to work out for aesthetic reasons. There's nothing wrong with that if you are becoming healthy collaterally.
>>
>>7773723
The anger issues reported from steroid abuse seem to just be placebo and suggestions effects according to the studies I've seen in the subject. However, one rare and expensive PED called halodrol does increase aggression as it is far from the standard PED in both activation and effect.
>>
>>7773723
>I just told you, dummy, if you have anger issues, they will likely increase if you abuse roids.

You understand that this is just a rephrase of what I said? That on average people who use roids are more aggressive (and stupid) than people who don't?

Besides you and your buddy here >>7773590 are perfect examples of increased aggressiveness.

I'm not a clueless shittalker, I trained for years, knew plenty of people who roided. All of them were pretty stupid to be frank. Conversely I know plenty of people from my maths/physics department who weight-train, not a single one who uses steroids.
>>
>>7773738

Yes, it will also depend on the steroid you're using. Nobody is going to turn into a raging lunatic on 500 mg of test e.
>>
File: 1438029356702.jpg (64 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1438029356702.jpg
64 KB, 400x400
>/fit/ browsing /sci/ for the first time
>this thread

I'm out, lads.
>>
>>7770906

The brain is an organ. By doing strength training, you strengthen your muscles and your bones, and by doing cardio you strengthen your circulatory system. If you work on your mobility on top of those, you have everything you need to stay healthy and active longer into your life, which is great for your brain, because it is an organ that needs blood to function properly.

You don't have to be a bodybuilder/meathead/gymrat, or be able to deadlift 300kg or run marathons. Just doing enough to stay healthy will suffice.
>>
File: 1445482422713.jpg (444 KB, 1280x1020) Image search: [Google]
1445482422713.jpg
444 KB, 1280x1020
>tfw cruising on test and about to blast tren
>i lurk /sci/ more than /fit/

memes
>>
here's what i founded out for lifting two years.

whenever i lift before i study or do tests/exams; i feel to tired and cant concentrate well. its probably the fact that my cns is burnt out, which is why you don't see highly intellecual potent scientists and mathematicians that are muscular/jacked. probably one of the many reasons why so many normies say that meatheads are stupid/dull.

which is why i study first and get assignments and tests done before lifting and it works so much better that way.

i usually lift 9pm to 11pm at night; three times a week doing a fullbody strength training session squats/bench/deads. heavy sessions, but i think if you're doing light hypetrophy bodybuilding work you're cns won't fry out as quick as strength/olympic lifting training.

i think running/aerobic is more beneficial than lifting. lifting is too stressful on your body anyways and stresses you a lot.

otherwise, my tests score had improved a lot over the two years; when i started lifting. also im much more disciplined and wont waste too much time watching animu and play vidya/runescape.
>>
>>7773972
btw im a maths major; it also takes a toll on ur cns as well like playing a musical instrument... both are heavy on ur cns and are dependent on it.
>>
>>7774006
I don't think CNS "fatigue" is what's happening there. More likely something hormonal, or elevated lactate levels. Cou;d be the way you eat afterwards.

I very much doubt it's your motor neurons fatiguing the rest of your brain.
>>
>>7773785

/fit/ are a bunch of clueless idiots.
>>
>>7773276
>what is testosterone

/fit/izen of 3 years here. Everyone outside of /fraud/ laughs at steroid users.
>>
>>7773972
I can pretty much agree with this. Lifting (or fencing, I used to train fencing) fatigued me so quickly, I was unable to do maths. Cardio however always leaves me fresh afterwards.

I was never a very disciplined person, so I don't know if it was impossible to study, or I was just too lazy.
>>
Time spent in the gym is time wasted.

Currently playing chess while browsing /sci/, by the way. Now that's a hobby for serious scientists.
>>
Based on this photo of Niel, I'd say no.
>>
>>7774227

That's fine, I'm a strong individual and do not base my behavior on whether someone laughs at something or not. Enjoy being a sheep.

p.s.

fit is for clueless idiots that know nothing about training.
>>
File: 280-deadlift-worlds.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
280-deadlift-worlds.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
I have a physics degree and a medal from the world championships in powerlifting

I know a lot of medics, compsci's and engineers in powerlifting too. I think the appeal of something you can do alone, plan out intensely and has a high degree of structure appeals to STEM types, for completely unknown reasons :^)
>>
>>7774006
>>7773972
quality contribution, m8.
>>
I am studying physics to become physicst and I lift weights for almost 3 years with very good results. However, the thing is, if you're not gifted you won't have to possibility to go out often because training requires a lot of time in the gym and studies a lot of time studying. Dedication implies that you make sacrifices but this is VERY rewarding.

I figured out that now girls come to me easily but I almost don't care and can't allow to have an ordinary girlfriend (looking for a girl who would push me higher). Have a healthy lifestyle, study hard and everything everyone want will come to you later. Trust me and never give up. People will say 'fitness/bodybuilding is useless' blablablah but everyone would like to wake up and be like Ulisses Jr, Rob Riches, Steve Cook or this kind of guy. Everybody would do it if it was easy.

And you will not be tired all the time it's bullshit, it's absolutely the opposite, if you're eating and sleeping well, you'll have a lot of energy and good will unlike your mates who wait for the night to party.
>>
>>7774374

You don't have to train more than 6 hours a week. Some of the best guys in the world train less than that. At the higher levels, recovery becomes the most important aspect of training because the volume and intensity at that level are insane.
>>
7774374 poster here.
Moreover, if people tell you that you can't be a good scientist and lift weights, tell them to think outside their fucking boxes. Experiences in other fields always give ideas and creativity and with muscles, people always look at you differently and that's a good point. You're not like everyone, you have more and people want to know more about you. It's a good way to meet incredible people. Spending all the time doing maths in your bedroom will give you good grades but that's all. Now science is based on collaboration.

And read books, good scientists are persons of culture.
>>
>>7774386
Yes I know, I'm training about 5-6 hours a week but cooking, eating more than 3 times a day, going to and coming back of the gym take time. And plus, I can't concentrate on something in 5 seconds so all these things together force me to manage my time correctly but it's just me, some people are a lot better than me when it comes to manage time.
>>
File: bait senbaitzakura.jpg (30 KB, 599x563) Image search: [Google]
bait senbaitzakura.jpg
30 KB, 599x563
>>7771644

Don't even know why im responding to this,

Working out regularly keeps my mood up. It affects my ability to concentrate and it doesn't hurt for sex appeal. I don't understand the resentment people like you feel because you can do it too if you learned to manage your time better.
>>
>>7774409

You have to cook and eat regardless of what you do. Luckily for me, the gym is 5 minutes walking distance.
>>
>>7774420
Yes I do, I just wanted to give advices to the original poster from my point of view.
In fact, the gym is also at 5 minutes from my flat but 5*2 minutes plus extra time talking to people in the gym and... voilĂ  (sorry but I'm french, voilĂ  has an accent :D).
>>
>>7774323
You'll never learn. Also how's /plg/? I haven't been on there for over half a year now.
>>
>>7770906

>isley is a physics major

i always figured you were an engineer.

good on u bae
>>
>>7774409

Lifting has made me really organized.
>>
>>7774473

meant 4

>>7774323

cant do fortune still
>>
>>7774475
Me too, I didn't say the contrary, I just said that this lifestyle needs more time also out of the gym. Bodybuilding made me organized too, it's all about optimizing our time.
>>
>>7774471
Literally cancer
>>
>>7770906

I'm doing my PhD now and i go to the gym 5 times a week
>>
>>7774522
And tripfags are the exact reason why.
>>
>>7771644
>be me
>studying CS
>3 years working out constantly and training MMA
>all of my coleagues are either very fat or incredibly skinny
>girls all around the uni mirin
>also get good grades because I am not a lazy ass

you are never going to make it my friend
>>
>>7774871
If you studied a STEM subject instead, you wouldn't have time for useless physical work and impressing stuipd sluts.
>>
>>7771644
You got me on 50kg, lmao. Good one.

>>7770906
Mind, body, and soul.

Don't let one take priority over the other. If you want to feel complete you should explore them all.
>>
>>7770906
I'm one of the few fit guys in my program, I get complimented often. It's nice
>>
>>7774019
>I don't think CNS "fatigue" is what's happening there.
Central nervous system fatigue is what getting tired is.
>>
>>7774323
what are you going to do with your physics degree? industry or academia?
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.