[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help! I have an english test tomorrow!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /s4s/ - Sh*t 4chan Says

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1449859861.33157287.jpg (124 KB, 893x921) Image search: [Google]
1449859861.33157287.jpg
124 KB, 893x921
>Arrange the room.
>Altering the order of things of the room.

Which is correct?
>>
i'll need to see more anime butte to decide
>>
File: 1438522112764.jpg (651 KB, 850x725) Image search: [Google]
1438522112764.jpg
651 KB, 850x725
>>4260678
>>
>>4260674
Second seems more correct. The first seems to imply you're arranging the individual item of 'room'. I'd go with the second one. I'm pulling this exactly out of my bummwhole XD
>>
nice buttes

the correct answer is rearrange the room
>>
>>4260674
>Arrange the room.
More idiomatic

>Altering the order of things of the room.
More likely to please Spock
>>
>>4260688
Checked.
>>
Remember that this is an English test and not a casual conversation test.
>>
>>4260674
the correct answer is FUCK YOU :D
>>
>>4260674
Rearrange the room.
>>
>>4260674
The first is idiomatic, and while the second seems more pedantically correct, it raises the question “what order?”. An order is typically a one-dimensional placement: given X and Y, we can only say that X is ordered less than, the same as, or greater than Y. By contrast, a room is at least 2-dimensional. Unless the room contains simply a line of items (for example, a museum display), it's strange to speak of the order of the things in the room.
>>
>>4260674
arranging the order of alters in the room.
>>
>>4260674
The first sounds more organic, but it would be more correct to say "Rearrange the room" so for semantics sake the second is preferrable.
>>
>>4260736
The second is more correct. "Arrange the room" is fine for a conversation, but isn't specific enough for an English test unless you're arranging the actual room itself. Since there is only one item of 'room', it would be difficult to arrange.

"Arrange the items in the room." would be correct.
"Arrange the room." is too casual and nondescript.
"Altering the order of things in the room." is autistic and Spock-ish but actually describes the act to be undertaken.

Go with the second one OP.
>>
>>4260741
realter the order of things in the room.
>>
>>4260674
reorder the things in the room.
>>
File: Made in China.png (12 KB, 920x526) Image search: [Google]
Made in China.png
12 KB, 920x526
>>4260674
Here's the map. Where do you wish to go?
>>
>>4260756
>actually describes the act to be undertaken.

It doesn't address the problem I raised: that order is a fundamentally one-dimensional concept, while a room is not a one-dimensional container. The second sounds more likely to be correct, but it still doesn't match up.

There's another problem with it: “things of the room” uses the possessive of room. This is fine, but is highly non-idiomatic. I believe most English speakers would use “things in the room” instead.

OP: both aren't great. You're really looking for “Arrange the things in the room” or something.
>>
>>4260775
I want to be a TV.
>>
>>4260785
>OP: both aren't great.
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>4260785
>“things of the room”
didn't notice it was "of", that's stupid
you're right. both are wrong, but the "of" in the second one makes it the more wrongest

go with the first one OP, although neither of them are good answers
>>
>>4260674
>Clean up your fucking room and don't make me ask you again.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.