[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quest Thread General /qtg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qst/ - Quests

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 95
File: QTG.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
QTG.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/x6BqaJ7r
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

Discord (let's see how it goes):
https://discord.gg/0zE5SDpEB4RQRNyY
>QM question:
Are you considering switching to /qst/ from where you usually run? Have you already? Or have its creation given you an idea of going elsewhere?

>Player question:
How do you like this board and its quests so far?
>>
File: 1354237059761.jpg (197 KB, 732x583) Image search: [Google]
1354237059761.jpg
197 KB, 732x583
>>42843
I just want to say that I'm still happy that this board exists, and that it's a positive direction for questing on 4chan.
>>
File: 1.png (203 KB, 907x755) Image search: [Google]
1.png
203 KB, 907x755
>>42923
Agreed
>>
File: 1419800701979.jpg (29 KB, 498x303) Image search: [Google]
1419800701979.jpg
29 KB, 498x303
>>42923
>>42965
It's pretty neat and there's fun to be had.
>>
Seems to be picking up allot.
>>
I wanna do a quest where I invent a card game and you go around a city collecting cards and battling people as you go along but I'm not sure if I should and if people'd like it
>>
Forgot to add ReviewAnon's pastebin to the OP-post. Here:
http://pastebin.com/u/QuestReviews

I wonder if he will appear this week.
>>
File: 1449026072738.gif (19 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1449026072738.gif
19 KB, 500x332
>>42923
>>42965
>>43024
>[Insert rage-induced post here]
>>
Would a Mad Libs-type thing be considered a quest? It's kinda iffy since it's hard to call it "collaborative storytelling" when you're really just waiting for the end result, but it's got the same kind of audience interaction of a regular quest, and I can't think of an alternative board to put it on.
>>
>>42923
>>42965
I just want to say that falseflagging won't help your argument. It's still a pointless change to a small community, and the relative inactivity should be enough proof that it's a bad idea.

But that stuff goes to the feedback thread. This thread is for quests.
>>
So I have this quest idea about an Alternative History quest where the Teutonic Order won the battle of Grundwald against the Polish-Lithuania union and you follow the journey of a Teutonic Knight and his companions through history, with the different plot arcs happening in different years, has their own plot, but is connected to each other.

Experience historical events that both happened and didn't happen in this Alternative History Quest.
>>
Couldn't you wait until Friday to post this? The weekend quest Discussion Thread will fall off by Thursday night so this thread is superfluous.
>>
Was the Discord chat just made today?
>>
>>43329
Yes.
>>
Should i do a quest about a little girl trying to scape from home or trying to survive the apocalypse
>>
>>43335
Neat, thank God it's not a skype group. I finally managed to convince most of my friends to migrate a month ago. Haven't looked back.
>>
File: E_britannia_coa.png (31 KB, 141x148) Image search: [Google]
E_britannia_coa.png
31 KB, 141x148
>>43317

That reminds, right now I am playing a CKII game where the Scottish House of Britannia, originally the House of Mac Comgall, rule over the Empire of Britannia, which stretches from Iceland to India.

They have recently easily annihilated a jihad for Sicily.

The levies are around 150000 in total.

I could really run a quest based off it. Indeed, I have screenshotted almost every decision in the game.

So, ALL HAIL BRITANNIA?
>>
>>42843

If the population continues to pick up, I think questing here will be better than /tg/'s.

I played in quests there (and even ran a few, once or twice) for years but the community started to get pretty close-minded and toxic, especially in anime-based quests.

Quests on this board have already been more creative than Anime Harem Quest #634436 and that's a step in the right direction.
>>
>>43426
If you ran it as a quest, and used the screenshot decisions, wouldn't they be worthless because the readers are gonna throw everything off the rails?

Unless you mean that you're just gonna use it as a setting, in which case ALL HAIL BRITANNIA
>>
Do you find appropriate art or do you make your own art for quests, /qtg/?
>>
>>43770
Mine's been almost entirely text with just a photo in the OP, but my next one I intend to do all the art for each update.
>>
>QM question

I'm considering it, though I haven't decided yet. I like my audience on /tg/ and I'm not sure all of them would follow me over if I did run here. I've decided to adopt something of a wait and see position.
>>
>>43770
I typically do my best to find appropriate and mostly consistent art for various characters, gear, and established locations.
>>
>>43770
Combination of finding art and attracting talented drawfriends.
>>
>>43074
I actually had a similar idea, and was thinking of trying to get it started today. Would you mind terribly if I did that?

>>43458
Agreed 100%. I was one of the people who thought moving quests to their own board seemed unnecessary, but in just the past few days, I've seen better and more interesting quests than I've seen on tg in a long time.
>>
>>43994

I wouldn't mind, go ahead, I'll just keep working on my thing in the background. Have fun.
>>
File: vbhwh.gif (644 KB, 536x536) Image search: [Google]
vbhwh.gif
644 KB, 536x536
>>43994
>>43074
How exactly would you do that?
>>
We need pictures! Pictures of QM-tans!
>>
File: planefag.png (80 KB, 527x617) Image search: [Google]
planefag.png
80 KB, 527x617
>>44111
>>
>>43317
This would be waaaaaay better of a question to ask in /his/. Not here.

In fact, that's basically a /his/ quest to the bone. Maybe you can drum up players there with this pitch.
>>
>>44125
That's not Fap Angel.
>>
>>44144
Why would I run a quest on /his/ when there's /qst/ and /tg/?
>>
>>44111
https://warosu.org/tg/thread/28807520#p28812949
Here's where they were originally posted
>>
>>44172
Critique from "experts"?
>>
>>44172

No, I mean make a thread on /his/ asking that question, like how would history be altered. Explain it's for a quest, and maybe link the quest there for players when you get the writing and everything finalized.
>>
>>44200
I was just checking if there was an interest in such a quest, not how it would alter history. Thanks for your concern though.
>>
>>44231
Oh.

Sorry, I mis-read your post.

I would still make a thread on /his/, because that would be your target audience.
>>
>>42843
>QM question

I plan on running on /qst/ for the duration of the trial, but I am keeping an eye on participation. So far, the results have been fairly positive on my end.

>Player question
Things have definitely improved over the last few days. A lot of the quests that flooded the board at first were just a premise with WAT DO attached to it, but we're starting to get more developed ideas. There are a few that caught my attention, but I don't know if I'll follow them yet.
>>
If I want to become a QM, how strict should I be to my participants? What if some of them makes stuffs outside the current settings, and it wont really make sense if I tried to jam it in the game anyway? Should an instant "Dont be a fag" reply enough?
>>
Does anyone actually read the stuff in the pastebin? What do you guys think of making a few pages on 1d4chan and linking to them from a sticky on /qst/? So that we can have updated information (like maybe a "currently active quest" directory?) and protips for new authors or people looking to improve. No way it'll fit into a regular sticky. We've got a ton of experience from years of questing on /tg/ and this is like the one time it can all be useful but all the pastebins are outdated and nobody can edit them. I've heard wiki vandalism was a problem but I can babysit them and revert troll edits.
>>
>>44378
Maybe not in those exact words
>>
>>44378
Depends on the quest and the tone. I'm generally pretty lax, but I also don't run particularly srs bsnss quests. Some people are a lot stricter. Generally, though, unless there's an overwhelming majority that demands a response, if someone gives a response that's basically nonsensical you can just ignore it.
>>
How does one roll and trip? I checked the faq and still couldnt figure it out.
>>
>>44378
>how strict should I be to my participants?
However strict you want. You're in charge.

>What if some of them makes stuffs outside the current settings, and it wont really make sense if I tried to jam it in the game anyway?
Don't add it if you don't want it. Some people just want to be disruptive and you're under no obligation to be disrupted by them.

>Should an instant "Dont be a fag" reply enough?
Try explaining why it doesn't fit. If the suggestion is obviously stupid like "kill ourselves" then don't even bother replying. Ignore it and pay attention to the people who actually care to participate constructively.
>>
>>44428
Don't be a fag.
>>
>>44378
>? What if some of them makes stuffs outside the current settings, and it wont really make sense if I tried to jam it in the game anyway?
I can't speak for how strict you want to be, because it depends on the writer and how you want your setting to be.

But do not let them do this. Do not let them try to add onto your canon. Your canon is your canon. Maybe 'don't be a fag' is strong, but just let them know that your story is your story and anything else is just fanon.

The reason it's important to establish this is because of a quest a long time ago that I remember, there was this guy named 'Fluff bringer' who would add this mary-sue fanfiction in-thread about a fanfiction character.

Eventually, it was included by the QM. Heads rolled, it wasn't the best written stuff to begin with, it conflicted with everything. Quest died soon after.
>>
>>44428
Trip goes in the name field. Rolls go in the options field.
>>
>>44409
I see. I still need to reply to them, tho. Since as far as im concerned, unless they are visibly noticed, memegamers will continue to spout unrelated things
>>
>>44443
AI Quest finished, famalama. Unless he did that in some other quest as well.

>>44428
How2Tripcode: In the "name" field enter Name#Password. You'll get a tripcode based off your password, but Name will still be what you wrote.

How2Roll: In the options field write roll+2d6 and change the 2 and 6 to be whatever you want.
>>
>>44462
>AI Quest finished
Huh, I was under the impression that it withered and died soon after that.
>>
>>44456
>memegamers
?????
Putting that aside giving attention to people who are begging for attention is something you shouldn't do.
>>
>>44468
I didn't quite like the ending to be honest senpai, but it was certainly an ending.
>>
>>44391
>currently active quest directory

Good luck with that. Someone tried that before and gave up after a couple weeks. It's a massive pain to manually deal with it. That's why the twitter directory exists.
>>
>>44462
>>44452
Thanks guys. Sorry for new faggotry but this looks like a fun board.
>>
>>44745
Ok so i figured out the trip and now am just fucking up the roll.
>>
File: 5-2-2016 4-07-06 PM.png (4 KB, 315x132) Image search: [Google]
5-2-2016 4-07-06 PM.png
4 KB, 315x132
Rolled 6, 10, 18, 18, 8, 12, 17, 19, 11, 11, 4 = 134 (11d20)

>>44781
Like this, dummy.
>>
>Himehorns
WHAT ARE THESE
WHERE ARE THEY FROM
and I'd ask why they're so damn cute but I know that already
>>
>>44820
We need an in depth, step-by-step how to dice (with pictures) in the rules.
>>
Rolled 54 (1d100)

>>44820
Like this? That other guy lied if this works.
>>
File: omedetou.gif (223 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
omedetou.gif
223 KB, 500x369
>>44909
Congratulations!
>>
>>44820

>>44909 is me. Thank you friend.
>>
>>44954
We could tell.
>>
Thread IDs are going to make shitposting difficult.
>>
Hey, if anyone that follows my quest is out there...

If I were to get some free time in the coming week, would you prefer that I continue HMQ on /tg/ (that isn't debatable, it's staying on /tg/ until the move becomes official, I don't want to split the archives for no reason if this board goes down) or that I do a short quest here to test the board and provide feedback?

The test thread would probably be a Homeless Mutant Side Quest (Joyce probably, or Typhon) or that Estate Quest I kicked around ages ago.
>>
>>45386
You don't want to know how many times I stopped myself from shitposting last thread because I posted other 'identifying' things first.
>>
>>45386
No, it will make samefagging difficult. There's a difference.

You can change your ID with an IP addy change, but you don't change the Poster Count when you do, so it quickly becomes obvious when someone is samefagging.

The shitposting....well, look at all the "people rele3ived quests are gone forever" posts that have different IDs while the poster count remains the same.

Pretty easy to shitpost all you want, apparently.
>>
>>45399
Somehow, even when asking for mild opinions, you manage to create difficult choices.

Estate Quest!
>>
>>45450
>You can change your ID with an IP addy change, but you don't change the Poster Count when you do

How exactly does that work? I assume it's just a cookie, which means people can reset their browser and their IP and be completely fine.
>>
Rolled 2, 648, 101, 439, 136, 32 = 1358 (6d666)

>>
>>44443
>But do not let them do this. Do not let them try to add onto your canon. Your canon is your canon. Maybe 'don't be a fag' is strong, but just let them know that your story is your story and anything else is just fanon.
>The reason it's important to establish this is because of a quest a long time ago that I remember, there was this guy named 'Fluff bringer' who would add this mary-sue fanfiction in-thread about a fanfiction character.

MGNQ's writefags "adding to canon" comes to mind as well as the required writefag additional readings for planefag's KCQ as a result.
>>
>>45467
That just changes most of your IP address. The part of your IP address that is given to you by your internet provider doesn't change, which is what the power counter and unique IP counter of 4chanX counts.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>
File: where the fuck is that convoy.gif (47 KB, 550x630) Image search: [Google]
where the fuck is that convoy.gif
47 KB, 550x630
So I've been spitballing the idea of running a quest for a while now, but I have no Idea what to write about. Thus far I've got a couple of basic ideas that I want to try out that I want you guys to give me feedback on. At this moment nothing is concrete and everything can change:
==================================
>Post-apocalyptic tank quest.
Basically, the bombs dropped and now people do battle in tanks in the radioactive wastelands. This is about as far as I've got with planning for it.
----------------
>Insurgent quest.
This could range form government oppression to X-COM to plain old "you are the terrorist". Once again, no concrete ideas on this one.
----------------
>Jet pilot quest
As the name implies, you fly a jet. Possible inclusion of strike witches.
----------------
>Strike Witches style quest.
This one goes straight for strike witches as a source rather than a subsidiary feature.
==================================
Things such as setting, combat theatre and characters are not being planned at the current time because I don' have a solid idea on what I'm going to do.
>>
>>45809

/tg/ has trained me to hate strike witches in all forms. Laziest questing possible, honestly.

I'd play your first two quests though.
>>
>>45873
What about the 3rd option if I dropped the potential Witches?
>>
>>45893

Sure, I'd try it out. Don't let me speak for /qst/ though, I have no idea what will be successful here.
>>
>>45809
I'd be interested in post-apocalyptic tanks. Maybe the tanks are NBC proof and designed to be soldiers' homes away from home as they fight on a massive radioactive stretch of land.

From there, you can focus on the claustrophobic atmosphere of the tank's insides, reinforced by how the outside is completely deadly.

As for plotting, unless you have an overarching plot, I easily see it becoming a Generation Kill-esque slice of life quest. And then the quest's success is dependent on your character writing.
>>
>>42843
This board is heaps fun so far. These links are good too, will this be a sticky?
>>
>>45941
Sounds good. The only real point for me trying the Strike Witches angle was because this is a new board and could potentially attract new people who have not been part of the previous quests on /tg/. The idea being that it could explore different ideas or perspectives, but I digress. More people are interested in other ideas so I'll focus on those.
>>45964
The Idea I was going for was that there are small patches of land which either suffered minimal radiation exposure or are otherwise habitable. Meanwhile bands of roaming marauders drive around the wastes in mad max style groups. Tech levels would be somewhere around 1960s-90s with tanks having varying capabilities, crew sizes, etc.
>>
File: axe-cop-hero.png (259 KB, 670x360) Image search: [Google]
axe-cop-hero.png
259 KB, 670x360
I am incredibly, incredibly motivated to do a Paladin's P.D quest. I do not however have much time, so I need to find a good day of the week to run this shit. Whaddaya guys think?
>>
>>45809
>>Post-apocalyptic tank quest.
>Basically, the bombs dropped and now people do battle in tanks in the radioactive wastelands. This is about as far as I've got with planning for it.

So, STALKER/ Metro style with tanks? I'd play that.
>>
>>46087
I would totally play it.
>>
>>46062
>Mad Max with tanks
This raises so many questions of logistics, maintenance, fuel and ammunition. Unless you're gonna go for something cartoony, taking more realistic concerns into account would make people wonder how bandits manage to get and use working tanks all the time.

That said, I'd be down with whatever you're gonna do because it's goddamn tanks
>>
>wanna /quest/ with colored drawings
>take for fucking ever to draw
How boring/tedious would it be as a participant to wait 2 hours for every update?
>>
>>46163
Pretty tedious, remember that you probably have a limited time with 2 hour updates for yourself and the audience.
>>
>>46163
45 minutes if pretty hard on your readers, speaking as someone with that time between posts. I'm also pretty verbose though, and I don't do much prewriting, because it's not really feasible with my quests.
>>
>>46089
Pretty much, old subway stations would be kinda like mini stopoff points.
>>46156
>how bandits manage to get and use working tanks all the time
Bandits don't ALWAYS have tanks. Mostly they're guys in slap-dash hazmat suits riding around in open top jeeps with explosive spears. Some of the more well equipped bandit groups might have a few ramshackle T-34s but they are rare in bandit hands. You might occasionally find one ruthless bandit with a T-60 and the old crew chained to the hull.
>>
>>46203
Soma finish your essays and pass college.
>>
How popular would a quest where there's deep lore, custom map, a lot of character customization, fantasy based, holds up to 5 players, turned base, and basically just interact with the world be?
>>
Rolled 3 (1d6)

Testing
>>
>>46326
>holds up to 5 players
Not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean that you'd basically just be playing a tabletop game on 4chan?
>>
>>46326
Sounds more like a hassle. At that point it might as well be a regular game with a GM, no?
>>
>>46326
>holds up to 5 players, turned base
And suddenly it's not a Quest anymore, but a forum roleplay.
>>
>>46356
5 people at a time can make their own character and do what they please with stats, character backgrounds, etc
>>
>>46245
I am not Soma, sorry.
>>
>>46378
Noted, so would allowing /qst/ create one character (with the stats and everything, of course) to guide be better instead?
>>
>>46415
It would be a step in the right direction.
>>
Sheit guys, after all this time can we all still agree that yuri is an abomination and quests get worse with them?
>>
>>46431
What's the ideal basis for a quest, then?
>>
>>46439
A solid idea, a dedicated QM and an involved fanbase. That's about it.
>>
>>46438
Only if you can agree that having a female MC doesn't automatically make the quest yuri.
>>
>>46462
No.
>>
>>46415

That's the usual format, at least.

A word of advice though - character creation in questing is notoriously tricky. Some fucker will ALWAYS demand to be a futanari and try to turn your quest into poorly written erotica. Just ignore him and move on
>>
>>46453
I've got two of those and the end goal is getting an involved fan base
>>
>>46438
I'm not going to REEEE at a yuri pairing, even if it's with the MC as long as it isn't forced as fuck.

But if yuri is everyfuckingwhere for no real reason, then yeah that quest can go to hell.
>>
>>46472
I was thinking of making it very specific to avoid such things by making only male and female options for gender and other things to rule out people trying to ruin it, and ignore shitposts
>>
>>46495
>gender choice
And just like that, 50% of your potential playerbase, gone with the wind.
>>
So let's talk speed, how long do expect a QM post after a previous one? sometimes it feels like it ages to see a simple outcome or progress the development
>>
>>46462

I've been questing on /tg/ I'm and off for almost six years. I would say that I have easily seen hundreds of female MCs in hundreds of quests, and I can think of only one quest that did not become purely focused on lesbians, fucking, or trying to fuck lesbians. One.
>>
File: Krys.jpg (24 KB, 189x386) Image search: [Google]
Krys.jpg
24 KB, 189x386
>>43074
I wouldn't mind something based on an existing but dead card game, like Chaotic.
>>
>>46495
Just roll a dice for gender. It'll save everybody the trouble.
>>
>>46510
What's the problem with gender choice then?
>>
>>46510

Picking a male MC avoids 90% of your problems immediately.

The players who demand yuri and female MCs are not the people you want in your thread
>>
>>46513
Ego's princes guard quest ripoff?
>>
File: ork boss going hold up.jpg (479 KB, 1250x1126) Image search: [Google]
ork boss going hold up.jpg
479 KB, 1250x1126
>>46513
MerCommand's Ace Combat Quest had a female MC in a squadron with three other women, and the readers immediately jumped on the husbando train
>>
>>46513
>Hellborn
>Ace Combat
>Devil Summoner (Hell that had a lez NPC pining for the MC, but the players turned her down.)
>DB Tuffle

So that's 4 on the top of my head in my limited questing experience.

I think you might be talking out your ass.
>>
>>46513
I always laugh when ,during character creation, you get a loli,futa, or futaloli.
>>
Oh god are we really having this again?
>>
>>46326
Well I'd wager you'd have something like 5 players.
>>
>>46570
QQ5dBh5c is triggered by Female MCs
>>
>>46438
Not really. My players enjoy it.
>>
>>46567
There is a quest running that has a hermaphrodite MC.

The players don't know it.
>>
>>46620
Is that the soldier of misfortune quest? Because I'm pretty sure that the QM said no.
>>
What would you lads think of a gauntlet-type quest? Where the QM throws a series of challenges at the player that ultimately ends with the player winning or losing?
>>
>>46667
Nope.
>>
>>46688
Questers from /tg/ hate failure, and it's worse everywhere else (Akun is infamous for players trying to metagame the quest so hard that failure cannot be an option, and your quest explodes if they still fail).
>>
>>46620
50% Human?
>>
Another question, how much time would you recommend to allocate a quest day?
>>
>>46881

Depends on the quest - QMs seem to be either NEETs with a lot of free time and 12 hour runtimes three times a week, or students who have to get a lot done in 3 to 4 hours once a week.

I've seen both be successful, the most important thing is communicating your schedule clearly so that your players know when to show up. Most /tg/ quests have a Twitter for this purpose
>>
>>46881
As a rule, I devote an entire day to Questing because unless you want to be stuck in a crawl in terms of plot, you have to run at least 6-7 hours-ish.

That's just the way I do it though.
>>
File: Captain America - Shield.jpg (184 KB, 1702x630) Image search: [Google]
Captain America - Shield.jpg
184 KB, 1702x630
I'm contemplating running either a Captain America or Spider-Man quest. I'm wondering, if I were to do so, what would some good story arcs be to adapt or look to for inspiration?
>>
>>46946
How serious do you want it? Silver or dark age?
>>
>>46976
Not total grimdarkedness, but I tend to prefer more modern stories (or at least tellings of classic stories in a more modern way).
>>
Goddamn, what is it about the idea of a female MC that these generals just can't handle? It was like that on /tg/ too, all proclamations of cancer and doom. A mature QM can and should write whatever character they damn well feel like. Fuck, my quest's MC is bi and in a stable poly relationship and there's been no problems to date.
>>
>>43994
Upon trying to work out how to make a fake card game that wouldn't be a chore to play in a quest, I have determined that I am not as motivated to run this as I first thought.
>>
>>47029
Vox?
>>
>>47029
>these generals
It was like two people man, you can check the IDs now. Stop reviving dead arguments.
>>
>>47029
Anything not featuring a straight, white male is "SJW cuckery".
>>
>>46326
>bi
>poly relationship
Wew it's like you WANT to be a degenerate cuck
>>
>>47065
Why are you linking that guy?
>>
>>47065
Meant for >>47029
>>
>>47045
It came up constantly on the /tg/ generals.
>>
>>46918
>>46926
Good advice all around. Going full NEET next week, so I'll be giving quest running a try at some point, I'm sure.
>>
Can we keep QTG here? User IDs make these so much better.
>>
>>47029
Qyubey?
>>
>>47124

Agree 100%. IDs seem to be preventing a lot of samefagging and shitposting in general.
>>
>>47124
Agreed. It eliminates the constant accusations of samefagging that happen on basically every other board, and it's nice to have that not be an issue.
>>
>>42843
Meta-threads are against the rules. I'm not saying it's a good rule, but it means this is probably gonna get deleted. Just a heads up.
>>
>>47153
There was already a /wqdt/, so the meta-thread rule doesn't seem to be enforced. Unless they changed it and are now letting meta-threads happen.
>>
>>45809
There was a slice of life post-apocalyptic tank manga somewhere. Hold on...

Look for Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. Chapters are translated in English. Enjoy.
>>
>>47153
We've gone through the whole weekend with a WQT and it didn't die.
>>
>>47153
It probably won't. Mods want all the traffic they can get to excuse having this board up.
>>
>>45873
Schteel's strike witches quests weren't that bad.
>>
FeMC will immediedly make me suspicious. Despite what some unnamed groups of faggots might say, male is still the default state of player character in a male-dominated fandom. If the QM made the MC female, there's always some reason behind it, be it yurishit or something else fucking retarded.

>>47124
Except for the part where people will go through previous posts for the ID every time somebody makes their ass hurt.

IDs go directly against the whole point of 4chan and anonymity.
>>
>>47210
IDs are only per-thread, not board-wide. No one gives a shit after 404. I know that's a bigger deal on here than faster boards but honestly it still isn't a big deal at all. It really helps in quests anyway which should be the bigger concern.
>>
>>47172
Thanks anon, I'll give it a read.
>>
Man, there are a lot of people in this thread who are "suspicious" of female characters for really stupid reasons.

It's not like people can't make male characters for yaoi-related reasons. Then again, stupid people would probably flip their shit over that, too.
>>
What happened to all those blowhards from Spooky pitching Xenoblade-inspired quests?

Somethingsomething TEMPLE -To Ensure Mankind's Place and Longevity Everywhere?
>>
>>47029
>>47210
>>47279

It's literally a meme. We've had counts of female/lesbian/male/het comparisons, and it's really always been pretty close to equal.
>>
>>47315
Fair enough. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between people who are really stupid, and people who are just spouting memes; obvious overlap aside, I mean.
>>
>>47315
Those lists have literally always been skeved, incorrect, witheld information, etc. to make yurifags look better.
>>
>>47347
Not figuratively senpai?
>>
>>47347
No, they really weren't. It's a little to easy to be caught doing that.
>>
File: 1461799775800.jpg (211 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461799775800.jpg
211 KB, 1920x1080
Let's say someone wants to run a Shounen quest with all those themes, light and dark tones. Now most shounen works has a Main Character with a dream of some sort:
>One Piece: Become Pirate King
>Naruto: Become Hokage
>Hero Academy: Become the next All Might Hero.
You name it. I'm looking for suggestions as to what a dream like that could be in a world inspired by Chinese/Monk themes and myths. Possibly also Kung Fu of some sort. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
>>
>>47361
>It's a little to easy to be caught doing that.
Yeah, and I've seen people call them out on it before, too.
>>
>>47376
Traditional/cliche standard is they seek to become immortal, learn an impossible to learn fighting technique, or found their very own school of martial arts.
>>
>>47376
Become the next Great Sage Equal to Heaven?
>>
>>47376
To be less cliche, how about they seek to achieve nirvana?
>>
>>47392
>>47397
>>47402
Great suggestions! Thanks a bunch!
>>
>tfw Historical fiction hasn't posted on his Twitter in nearly a month

I-Is he dead?
>>
>>46946
For Cap I'd adapt a bit of the Brubaker, Kirby/Lee and the Gruenwald stuff, splash in the movies because the movies are good and faithful to the characters, maybe adapt a few Avengers runs that feature Cap prominently, and never mind the canon of the comics because you can't please the purists.

Make it your own Marvel Universe, change what you want to change but be consistent with the changes.

My preference for Spidey is Young Adult Spidey. My personal favorite Spider-Man adaptation is Spectacular Spider-Man, the cartoon from a couple years back. I like a Spidey that is either still in high school or just finished, but you do you. I'd be hesitant to do a Spidey quest though since its been done before, but whatever, it can't hurt.
>>
>>46472
>Some fucker will ALWAYS demand to be a futanari and try to turn your quest into poorly written erotica.
I like to think that most of those have been drifting back to /tg/ after their initial indignation of no longer being able to rage about quests on their board.
>>
>>42843
>>Player question:
>How do you like this board and its quests so far?
Eh, hit and miss. The relative rush of new blood is nice, and plenty of new quests being started.

On the downside, the stories of /aco/'s first month make me worried about how moderation is going to play out. Also, it's a relative rush of new QMs who don't set up any way for fans to get notified of future quests, aren't aware that literary tropes don't always work well in quests, etc.

>>43074
The idea is appealing, but the trick is in how you'd run it. The quest format would encourage you to either perform very fast updates or come up with a truncated format for both battling and deck construction.

>>46688
If that's what you're going for, make it very very clear at the start. Some folks enjoy quests more for the narratives than the 'gaming' aspect, and plenty of quests in the past have had some sort of reload after a bad end, so a sudden disastrous end that leaves things hanging will certainly upset some readers if they were not made aware of the stakes.

>>46946
>if I were to do so, what would some good story arcs be to adapt or look to for inspiration?
Werewolf Cap! No, not really.

>>47419
Or if you want to go the villain route: Become the Bandit King / evil magistrate, like my father before me! (before an orphan went all Inigo Montoya on him)
>>
>>42843
>QM question:
Already made the switch, I think it went over well.

>Player question:
There's a lot of quests, it's nice to browse through. Only 2 or 3 grab my attention long enough to reliably participate though.
>>
>>47210
>IDs go directly against the whole point of 4chan and anonymity.
And so does looking up filenames and other means of IDing anons, but who gives a shit - it has a point on this board above all others. And if someone singles you out, or another anon, you can ignore them, as usual.
>>
>>45399
>Estate Quest
This. Sounds interesting, but can can you give more info on it?
>>
Hypothetical question: Let's say I want to run a quest with a similar plot hook to that of Fullmetal Alchemist.
>Two brothers/siblings
>They performed a taboo practice and one of them was left without a body, but mind trapped within an object or within his brother.
>The two of them find out that there is a rare item or etc. somewhere in this vast world that has the properties to perfect this taboo practice and restore the brother's lost body.
>They set out to find it.
How would I go about doing that in a Fantasy setting with low magic or very restricted High Magic? Would it be too unoriginal? Is it enough of a plot hook to base a Quest around?
>>
>>48364
Run it and find out.
>>
File: Template.jpg (28 KB, 800x473) Image search: [Google]
Template.jpg
28 KB, 800x473
>>48387
Couldn't have gotten a better answer. Have this.
>>
File: Samefag_Matrix.jpg (175 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Samefag_Matrix.jpg
175 KB, 1024x768
To weigh in on the ID thing, I had one person samefagging in my thread trying to insist on being female and then claimed that everyone who was like "no, let's be Big Master" was samefagging instead. It definitely helps. I don't usually look at the IDs, but when stuff like that happens it's really useful.
>>
>>48364
Make the brother a sword, also make him adorable, also question the purpose of conflict.
>>
>>48364
Unoriginal premises don't kill quests. Execution kills quests. Also people. Except when there's something wrong with the chair, or they mess up with the drugs.
>>
It's been already asked on this thread, but how would a historical quest go? One that is based off of real events with real people but has the benefit of alternate history going for it. Do quests on this board have to be original/fantasy?
>>
>>48675
It's not as though there's a rule to that effect. Just run the quest and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that nobody turns up or you run a shit quest.
>>
>>48675
>Do quests on this board have to be original/fantasy?
I don't think there's a rule saying you have to. Just that an alt-history quest, or even just a historical fiction quest, is gonna have a lot of armchair historians popping in to point out how wrong you are.
>>
>>47392
>>47397
>>47402
Rather than Shonen, isn't this going to be a Wuxia Quest at this rate?
>>
>>48706
Eh, if it still has the trappings and tropes of shonen anime, then it's still shonen at any rate, only with a more wuxia aesthetic.

Like, Hero Academy has the aesthetic of western superheroes, but it's still a shonen anime regardless.
>>
I'm not entirely familiar with Twitter, but how exactly do i add myself to the directory? Do i just compose a tweet while on that page? (The icon turned orange instead of blue) ive already subscribed to the list, if that means anything
>>
>>48675
/tg/ had multiple histy quests, some of which were quite popular.

This:
> is gonna have a lot of armchair historians popping in to point out how wrong you are.

can happen, but don't get too concerned about it unless you fuck up in a really big way. Nobody will mind too much if you mix up Marshall Ney's immediate subordinates, but make sure you know where Wellington was born, for instance.
>>
>>48687
>>48687
Thanks. One more question though, would it be better to have a made up character or use an actual person?
>>
>>48799
Go fictional character. It'll help with moving things off track (if you want to do that), and you won't have people screaming 'out of character' at every decision they don't like.
>>
File: RealityPepe.jpg (32 KB, 500x439) Image search: [Google]
RealityPepe.jpg
32 KB, 500x439
if /qst/ doesn't allow pony
and /mlp/ doesn't allow quests/cyoa...

what then?
>>
>>48743
The directory guy reads these threads, leave your twitter here and he'll find it.
>>
>>48805
>'out of character'
That's the thing though. Allowing the audience to munipulate the actions of someone to do whatever they want is a part of the alternate history. It's just everything around him/her is going to have to stay the same and react accordingly to our oocness. Plus it would be fun to have a powerful character we control to do what they want and feeling the consequences furthering going off the beaten path of historical events. Of course everything must make sense but I think I can manage that.
>>
>>48821
Okay thank you

Twitter: QMSaurn
>>
File: 1461818134330.jpg (127 KB, 736x1377) Image search: [Google]
1461818134330.jpg
127 KB, 736x1377
Hey guys, what's the best antagonist you've ever seen in a quest and why?
>>
>>48850
Hurricane Wren, MHQ. Got incredible characterization in very little time, was wonderfully and tragically foreshadowed. Her stage was intense and frightening, and the choices made in fighting her felt meaningful and risky. Her fate was emotional without being overdone.

Loved those threads.
>>
>>48814
Everyone's happy?
>>
>>48814
I hate you, but odds are if /qst/ lasts, we'll eventually hit a point where any subject matter is passable with minimum harassment.

I'm more optimistic than most people about the survival of this board but I expect it to survive mostly on redirects from other board interests until different quests are their own country.
>>
>>47210
Or what the players voted for? Happened in my quest.

Speaking of, on break right this second, but I'm running a weird dungeoncrawl modern fantasy thing here:
>>>/tg/47043968
>>
What's a good system/mechanics to use for quests? What works and what doesn't?
>>
>>48977
I'm a heretic for saying this, but I like freeform suggestions and voting; I can't stand dice.
>>
>>48985
I'd run with that, but I expect my current quest to be unpleasantly lethal, so... I'd rather have an impartial system in place so that people can't complain about it.
>>
>>42843
Cabal is almost deserted. Hugbox is ded as fuck.
>>
The biggest mistake I've seen new QMs do on this new board is tying what happens next to post #. Maybe on boards like /v/ and /b/ it's needed, but here on /qst/ it just inflates the post count and slows everything down as people keep trying to get gets.
>>
>>49058
> tying it to post number
Ewwww.
>>
Reposting from the rolling sticky.

Pardon my tripfaggotry for a moment.

I was reading the discussions posted here and became curious enough to ask my players a few questions. Specifically, why/how they started reading my quest and how many SMT games they have played (SMT being the franchise my quest is based upon). As of time of writing, 90 players have answered the first poll and 73 have answered the second.

http://www.strawpoll.me/10114710/r (embed)
http://www.strawpoll.me/10114720/r (embed)

If you can't be bothered opening them, for the first poll 40 (44%) players answered that they stumbled across my quest while browsing /tg/ and 34 (38%) said they enjoyed my previous work and decided to check my new quest out (no idea why, HBQ was shit towards the end). 10 (11%) players stumbled across the quest while browsing the suptg archives while the remaining 6 (7%) found it through other means. One of them said that he found my quest while specifically browsing /tg/ for quests. He was the only one, so I'm guessing that sort of motivation isn't very common.

For the second poll, most players played only a few SMT games, with 30 players (41%) only having played bewteen 1-3 games and 15 players (20%) have played no games at all. Maybe they watched LPs on youtube or something.

Use this information how you will. Or don't. It's completely possible that these results are utterly useless to this debate. In any case, I found them interesting enough to share them with you guys.
>>
>>44265
We do go on /qst/ and /tg/ too, you know.
>>
>>49097
Don't forget that *none* of them came across your quest on another board.

That's not the same as going to another board specifically for quests, sure, but taken in combination with the /tg/ figure -- it doesn't bode well.

Hopefully, when the board crashes and burns, it doesn't take quests out with it.
>>
>>42843
>player question

There's a lot of random garbage, but that's to be expected from a new board that just opened. I personally enjoy the oekaki/shitscribble feature (even if I'm well aware it is responsible for a lot of the garbage). The ID's are something I personally wanted to see for a long time as well, too many choices (hell entire threads) have been derailed by autists absolutely wanting "their" choice to be taken.

On the negative, audience not showing up in those well-established threads that tried to come here is a concern. But all things considered, I'm carefully positive about /qst/.
>>
Shadowrun Quest is back on Track ! The players waifued the human as expected
>>
>>47153
I've said it before in the feedback thread: I think that what the mod intended with that rule is to prevent one "Quest Alpha" thread and then one or more meta-threads whining about "Quest Alpha".

One single meta-thread about quests in general isn't a problem at all.
>>
>>49166
Seriously, did you expect anything else?

More importantly, giant snek x human smut when? J/K! Or maybe not...
>>
>>49028
Discord has come to life, though. Surprisingly.
>>
>>49290
>Discord has come to life, though. Surprisingly.
What? There is a quest discord?
>surprisingly
Yeah, only seen it used by huge groups.
>>
>>49299
>What? There is a quest discord?
Read the OP-post.
>>
>>48872
....I have to agree.
>>
>>48850
Chad, obviously.
>>
>>48364
You've stripped it down to the essentials, it hardly counts as fanfic.

I'd go with a bit higher than low magic, since mind trap is a bit much for 2 kids, taboo or no. Definitely restricted/hidden from masses, though.

Just don't asspull every other chapter like your pic.
>>
>>48706
Lots of Chinese wuxia TV shows have almost the exact structure of a typical shone anime.
>>
>>45386
That is fine.
>>
How come people make these? Some of them are really high effort. Those are the ones I don't get.
>>
>>49591
You're not from /tg/?
>>
>>49591
You'll need to be more specific in your confusion, unless you're actually looking for shitpost answers.
>>
>>49591
Well, why do you do a thing you think is fun?
>>
>>49331
>spoiler
Never read it, so don't worry.
>>
>>49596
Nuh uh. I thought it was all board games and MTG/Yu-Gi-Oh! stuff.
>>49598
I guess I'm just wondering what makes it worth the time spent... All the effort. But I guess that goes for every hobby.
>>49600
I understand now. Disregard me, I suck cocks.
>>
>>49612
Hey, that's cool, man. Cocks are pretty fun.
>>
>>45399
>Crusty
shit, i just thought that i hadnt heard from you in ages. If you can manage it, a quest on /tg/ or a Side Quest here would be great
>>
>>49612
I'm looking to set up a Quest when I get some time. I'm mainly motivated by the potential of improving my creative writing skills. I could just write shitty short stories and beg for feedback but this just seems more fun.
>>
>>48977
Not really a mechanic, but the suggesters having more back and forth conversation with the main character can be interesting. This means they can do things like try to talk the character into doing something they don't want to.

For decisions, I do like having the best justification weight them. Get people thinking about the upsides and pitfalls of Option A versus Option B.
>>
>>43343
Sure. I like little girls.
>>
>>49612
>Nuh uh. I thought it was all board games and MTG/Yu-Gi-Oh! stuff.
And, you know, D&D and RPGs. I.e. quests.

The activity itself makes it worthwhile. The preparation is fun, the running is fun. Why do you play vidya? Is it to unlock weapons, or is it to play the game in the first place?
>>
>>48814
>>>/trash/
>>
>>48985
>freeform suggestions and voting
>I can't stand dice
You say that as if the latter can only be appeased by the former.
>>
File: 17mpxhscv4qx0jpg.jpg (65 KB, 330x246) Image search: [Google]
17mpxhscv4qx0jpg.jpg
65 KB, 330x246
>>43343
>austria
>the game
>>
File: 20160503202725_1.jpg (416 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
20160503202725_1.jpg
416 KB, 1440x900
OK, so fuck the Aztecs and ALL HAIL BRITANNIA.

I might make it into a quest setting. "Crusader Clan" seems to be on my mind.
>>
So, apparently I'm running the wrong game.

Despite the memetic hate....should I be running possibly incestuous Twin Mecha Pilot slightly fetishistic Quest?
>>
File: tegaki.png (1 KB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
1 KB, 230x250
>>49880
If we can customize mechs as well as we could in MechEngineer quest then sure.
>>
>>49880
I vaguely recall you pitching that.

.....SLIGHTLY? Yeah fucking right.
>>
>>49880
Sounds interesting.
>>
Rolled 11 + 5 (1d30 + 5)

>>49880
I'd read it.
>>
>>46438
I want to tease a little yuri but I'm afraid my readers would force me to do it for real.
>>
>>48872
What was MHQ? I'd like to read this if it's actually that good.
>>
>>47376
Becoming the most powerful magician.
>>
>>50018
If you're the QM, your players can't force you to do shit.
>>
>>50018
If a mountain bends its will to the wind, it is no mountain.
>>
>>50018

That's more or less impossible, but you're welcome to try
>>
>>49899
Not a chance of that, sadly. I'm about as capable an engineer as I am a public speaker. Sure, there would be custumization and designing and alterations, but they wouldn't have much at all to do with engineering and more to do with player creativity.
>>
>>50032
But he will have a fanbase of yurifags if he panders to them, though. They won't magically become any less cancerous if the QM goes "it was just a prank bro" later on in the quest.
>>
>>50018
Make the MC straight and sympathetic to the yuri character's impossible love. Yuri-fans eat that up.
>>
>>50024
Maverick Hunter Quest
>>
>>50082
And with his weak little QM constitution, that's clearly the worst thing that could happen.
>>
>>50102
The worst thing that could happen is he gets no players despite catering to the easiest to please fanbase on all 4chan.

That will be the true test of this board's survivability. If you can't get 10 consistent yurifags in a quest on this board, you ,may as well close up shop.
>>
>>50124
I really think you're blowing this out of proportion.
>>
File: synnibar-l.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
synnibar-l.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>45809
Isn't that picture from World of Synnibarr? Run a fucking World of Synnibarr quest!

Hard mode: use the actual rules.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 95

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.