[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a /prog/, /tech/, /cyber/ board or something besides
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: 1365336478784.jpg (10 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
1365336478784.jpg
10 KB, 246x205
Can we have a /prog/, /tech/, /cyber/ board or something besides /g/?

Like 30% of /g/ is obvious /v/ shitposters trading oneliners about GPUs, another 30% is consumer discussion and tech support.

It would be nice to have an enthusiast/interest board rather than the open sewer that is /g/.
>>
>>584592
Why not instead demand the mods do their jobs instead of making yet another board?
>>
>>584592
Yup, PLEASE split /g/ into /cg/ (consumer tech), /g/ is for scripting threads, programming threads, github threads, rms thread, software philosophies, linux, bsd, etc.

/cg/ is for motherfucking gpu threads, battlestation threads, desktop/homescreen threads, r8 my build threads, etc.

>>584593
While it has been definitely worse for the last few weeks this shit has been going on forever now.
>>
>>584593
Because 'technology' is too broad. It's not realistic to push out all the desktop posters, battlestations, mobile wars, tech support, etc.

Best to just let them have a general board for consumer tech and give us something better.
>>
>>584594
desktop threads are a /g/ staple and belong in /g/. They have nothing to do with consumerism and everything to do with the technology of usability and the application of that science to computers.
>>
>>584598
I actually agree, but for some reasons the mods delete them (while keeping the homescreen threads)
>>
>>584597
>>584594
Fair point

>>584598
I agree that desktop threads should be kept. /sqt/, /fglt/, /dpt/, and /desktop/ generals were the only good generals. The rest belong on other boards.
>>
File: 45734525.jpg (52 KB, 390x520) Image search: [Google]
45734525.jpg
52 KB, 390x520
>can we have a board for serious discussion of [topic] with no shitposting
>on 4chan
>>
>>584603
Fuck off, /v/ using /g/ as their personal consumer review board is cancer.
>>
>>584603
>please everyone be as retarded as me
Pathetic.
>>
File: this is weird.png (179 KB, 1898x956) Image search: [Google]
this is weird.png
179 KB, 1898x956
>>584603
>4chan is for shitposting
found the retard
>>
>>584603
Oh boy its my favorite Reddit meme!
>>
>>584592
>Can we have a /prog/, /tech/, /cyber/ board or something besides /g/?
Create your own fucking board or newsgroups. What good are programming enthusiasts who rely on a mainstream closed source massively popular image board website which uses Google software, as a means to discuss things?

>>584594
>/g/ is for scripting threads, programming threads, github threads, rms thread, software philosophies, linux, bsd, etc.
No it's not, you fucking piece of shit. Technology is not just commercial computer environments. See above and stop being a pathetic tryhard. If you feel the need to come to 4chan to discuss those things, you don't know shit about those things to begin with.
>>
>>584660
>everyone who isn't as stupid as me is a tryhard

You're what needs to be contained.
>>
>>584664
and honestly you sound tryhard trying to be so dismissive about things you have no idea about

>"commercial computer environments".
>"Google software"
>>
>>584664
>everyone who isn't as stupid as me is a tryhard
How about you address legitimate criticism instead of being a pathetic little cunt?

What the fuck do a group of programming enthusiasts need to rely on 4chan in order to have a place for discussion? Answer the fucking question.

>>584667
>"commercial computer environments".
The hardware mass produced and software and OS/distributions created for mass usage. Not exactly sure what your point in this quotation is. That is almost all of what /g/ discussed: shit which is by and for the lowest common denominator. It isn't about technology at all, it's about marketing and bitching about brands.

>"Google software"
You know that thing which we are forced to use for each and every post?
>>
>>584660
>Technology is not just commercial computer environments.
Yet any time I start a thread about blenders or military grade shovels, they get deleted.

Watch this and TELL ME it isn't technology as fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o
>>
>>584592
>It would be nice to have an enthusiast/interest board rather than the open sewer that is /g/.
Here you go, make your own:
http://www.9ch.in/overscript/
Or better yet, get together with group of /g/nutoomen and modify or write your own software. It's win-win: you get a place entirely for yourselves without outside obstruction and you don't have to pray to the RNG gods in the hopes of Hiro 1. reading the thread, 2. taking action and 3. taking action that is in your favour.
If you guys actually know a good tenth of the shit you post, this should be easy as piss, right? I mean, you're not just posers looking for a place with a large audience and attention, right?
>>
>>584673
>You know that thing which we are forced to use for each and every post?
wut?
>>
>>584673
it's time to stop posting anon, you're embarrassing yourself
>>
>>584677
>Yet any time I start a thread about blenders or military grade shovels, they get deleted.
Yeah, that's pretty retarded that mods would do that. Mods are pretty retarded, though.

>>584679
Anon, serious?
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html
>>
File: 2016-07-07_20-23-17.png (26 KB, 515x449) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-07_20-23-17.png
26 KB, 515x449
>>584681
Oh lord, this tard doesn't have his 4chan pass.
>>
>>584680
>you're embarrassing yourself
Not remotely.
You aren't able to actually address the point because you know that doing so would make you look bad. Your pathetic little personal insults only make you look like a teenager.

>>584682
>pass
No /g/entlement in their right mind would every pay for a pass. Fuck off back to IRC you fucking idiot.
>>
>>584685
>No /g/entlement in their right mind would every pay for a pass
So you're saying that an actual /g/ poster would use Google botnet shit instead of just giving 4chan money/bitcoin?
>>
>>584678
The point isn't to make a new chansite, there are already plenty of those, some with fine discussions already but they're small. 4chan has the largest audience. Siphoning off the people who aren't idiots from /g/ would be a much larger community than any other chans.

>posers looking for a place with a large audience and attention
Right...
>>
>>584689
>Siphoning off the people who aren't idiots
Anywhere you go on 4chan you're going to get idiots. /prog/ was not made entirely of geniuses back when it existed.
>>
>>584690
This guy's and idiot anyway and doesn't know how to use the word siphon. It literally only applies to liquids. You can't siphon posters, it doesn't make any sense lexically.
>>
>>584690
Yeah but generalist boards are the worst. Try talking about film on /tv/. Will be off the frontpage before anyone who knows their shit will be around.

Same situation with /g/, different subjects.
>>
>>584592
No. Ask for the mods to do their fucking jobs and then request for the text boards back. Also ban generals.
>>
>>584592
What would make the new board any different?
>>
>>584593
This. Fucking mods.

They should also work on reducing the anime posting since its 90% low quality bait and 10% actual anime reaction images
>>
File: 1462445651122.jpg (182 KB, 1444x1440) Image search: [Google]
1462445651122.jpg
182 KB, 1444x1440
>>584592
>/prog/
Yes please
>>
>>584592
>unironically discussing technology on the Google tracking and malware site
impossible
>>
>>584840
Why is /vr/ different from /v/?
>>
The real solution would be to get some actual fucking moderation so shitposters actually get banned every now and then
>>
>>585067
Old games get laughed at on /v/
>>
>>584592
p ls do
>>
File: steven-wilson.jpg (148 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
steven-wilson.jpg
148 KB, 1200x800
>>584592
>/prog/
I'd love a board for progressive rock
>>
Another shitpost got posted today, it's all over the board. "Abelson Arrested in Aaron Swartchz Murder Scandal", "Lisp Haxor Arrested after Anus Haxing"...

Damn kikes. They're all alike.

But did you, on your epic social media page and 2014 scripting langauges ever take a look behind the eyes of the haxor? Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him? I am a haxor, enter my world...

Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...

Damn retards. They're all alike.

I'm in college. I've listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to make a UML diagram. I understand it. "No, Professor Xia Guang Kim, I didn't make your shitty diagram, go fuck yourself."

Damn kid. Probably can't do it. They're all alike.

I made a discovery today. I found a post form. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me...

Or there is a missing semicolon somewhere...

Or there is a global interpreter lock....

But because Tablecat's shitty BBCode parser fucked it up.
>>
>>585306
Damn kid. All he does is flood shitposts. They're all alike.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the fiber optic line like weed through an everyday smokers lungs, an electronic moan is let out, a refuge from the day-to-day idiocy is sought... a board is found.

"This is it... this is where I belong..."

I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know both of you...

Damn kid. Clogging up the global post limit again. They're all alike...

You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been force fed garbage at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of actual food that you did let slip through were poisoned and rotten. We've been dominated by masochist, or ignored by the pathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the functional and the stateless, the sexyness of the Satori. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be perfect if it wasn't run by confirmed Zionist Jew Admin-kike-sama, and you call us faggots. We recurse... and you call us faggots. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist with white skin, with Western citizenship, with Christianity\Atheism\Shintoism religion... and you call us faggots. You design global interpreter locks, you help poor children in Uganda, you upvote, socialize, and force your epic maymays on us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the faggots.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what programing language they use, not how good they are. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a haxor, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.
>>
>>585093
Derp. Really? I've always assumed /v/ was nostalgic about old games and when /vr/ was created, people from /vr/ would shit on /v/'s old games threads to steal /v/'s traffic.
>>
/sjis/
>>
>>585373
wuz dat
>>
File: 1467411273423.png (46 KB, 420x490) Image search: [Google]
1467411273423.png
46 KB, 420x490
>>585917
Split the board into:
/g/
and
/g/ - random

Problem solved.
>>
File: progisreal.jpg (424 KB, 1839x1035) Image search: [Google]
progisreal.jpg
424 KB, 1839x1035
lad prog still exists.
>>
>>586735
Shit text board tho
>>
>>584689
I see. So you are posers looking for a place with a large audience and attention.

>but they're small
Because pathetic faggots like you would rather cling to the mainstream board while expecting others to provide your safespace within the site. There are already other places where you can go and discuss such topics with people who are very knowledgeable on the subject but the problem is that they don't have an interest in discussing things with posers like yourself, and you fucking know it.
>Siphoning off the people who aren't idiots from /g/ would be a much larger community than any other chans.
You're one of those idiots. Most idiots aren't self aware enough to realise.
>>
>>586816
someone needs a hug!
>>
Bring back prog!
>>
>>588451
This. Make it like /news/.
>>
>>588459
This. And if someone needs to show something they built they can host it on an external site and post a link. This is to prevent anime and avatar fags
>>
>>585966
Hello summer!
>>
File: 1467956005774.jpg (13 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
1467956005774.jpg
13 KB, 500x259
>>584592
>>584594
Why do people think this will somehow fix anything? All it will do is force an attention-seeking shitposter to make their GPU suicide watch thread on /cg/ and their girls can code too thread on /prog/, all the while stifling actual discussion even further by segregating the community and giving niche or otherwise interesting, non-shitposting topics a smaller potential audience and thus a lesser chance of survival in a torrent of meme threads that both boards will inevitably have.

Sure, you could say that educated non-programming discussion could be tolerated on /prog/, but who the fuck wants to play that game? All it does is complicates things, and /prog/ itself would more than likely be a shithole as well, there are a lot of dumbass /v/-tier posters in that discipline too.

What /g/ needs is a good cleaning, remove the shittier generals and blog threads, clean out the rest, clean up duplicate and low-effort threads, just kick the shit out.

At the very least, increase the page count to give niche topics a chance to survive without babysitting or (You) engineering/post timing.
>>
>>588465
Hey.
>>
Bump in hopes desktop threads get unbanned.
>>
>>590045
Why should they? They were shit.
>>
>>590083
They were literally the only thing in life I enjoyed for the last decade
>>
>>590086
It sounds like you probably should find a more challenging and constructive hobby, then.
>>
>>590086
It sounds like you probably should take the hint and end your life.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.