[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WebM sound for boards proposal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: webm logo.png (13 KB, 1000x228) Image search: [Google]
webm logo.png
13 KB, 1000x228
Currently, only /gif/ and /wsg/ support WebMs with sound. However, I believe that this feature should be available for all boards.

A while ago, Moot explained why this was the case by stating how WebMs can contain possible "screamers" when played. However, this is nullified as WebMs are automatically muted when played, requiring the user to change the volume levels themselves. Screamers are also banned under global rule 3, thus contributing to them getting taken down quickly.

Server resources will not be affected if WebM sound is enabled on all boards, as the max filesize remains at 3MB. Additionally, I believe that both /wsg/ and /gif/ would retain, if not, increase in user activity if this decision is taken.

Let me know what you think below, along with possible alternatives (4chan support for VP9 WebMs instead of VP8 etc.)
>>
RBL

WE OUTCHEA
>>
File: scary.jpg (58 KB, 500x655) Image search: [Google]
scary.jpg
58 KB, 500x655
I support this. In particular, many users on /sp/ are frustrated with the lack of sound and have been for a while.
>>
I agree. I want to see webm's of LeGod hitting wet ass threes this finals with sound. That'll piss off the Spurdoras and Harry even more
>>
>>531216
Huh?
>>
>>531218
exactly
>>
This.
Can't wait to see webms of pop BULLYing interviewers after he's knocked out of playoffs again
>>
Daily reminder that Pop threw the series so Aldridge wouldn't think it was easy to win the Finals. Same reason why he threw the 2013 series.

Don't doubt the plan.
>>
Pls take this seriously anons
>>
>webms are automatically muted when played
Are they?

Not for me
>>
File: zappa_excited.jpg (600 KB, 1200x803) Image search: [Google]
zappa_excited.jpg
600 KB, 1200x803
>>531208
agreed, especially when the sound is necessary for understanding/appreciating the content. I can imagine this happening a lot in boards like /sp/ with live commentary etc.
>>531255
WebMs are not muted in /gif/ and /wsg/, but are muted in all the rest. Which board are you using?
>>
Agree with the OP.
>>
File: 1443621025991.png (261 KB, 474x435) Image search: [Google]
1443621025991.png
261 KB, 474x435
>>
If this happens then please shutdown /gif/ and /wsg/.

Once upon a time, you could not post an image if that image had already been posted on the board. Now, at least on /gif/ and /wsg/ you can post the same webm as many times as you like. They are already slow boards, and when people do post, many times it is a repeat of something in another thread.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Sound, filesize, and duration where the only unique qualities that /gif/ and /wsg/ had. If all boards can post webms with sound then please nuke /gif/ and /wsg/ as they will just become another /trash/ without the OC.
>>
I agree with this. Please consider this
>>
I can really only see it being useful for a board like /mlp/ since they're in confined there. The rest of the site can use /wsg/ and /gif/ and crosspost (crosslink? not sure what its called) as needed.
>>
>>531906

Cross-linking is dumb as fuck, why should I go to another board for what I want to post on my home board
>>
>>531934
With inline expansion being available on 4chan extensions (not sure if native has it) one click on a crosslink gives me whatever material you wanted to post without having to leave the thread. An extra few clicks on your end isn't as painstaking as you make it out to be.
>>
>>531208
no, fuck off.
>>
>>532018

Nope
>>
>>531208
I like /gif/ and /wsg/ having a use.
No.
>>
>>532191

Nope
>>
Please consider this
>>
I've only ever needed to post a clip with sound once. What I did was post it in a related thread on /wsg/ and hotlinked it from /co/.
>>
>>531981
>dumping shit on a board entirely for the purposes of cross linking it to another board isn't fucking stupid at all
End yourself, faggot.

>>532191
You're like some cocksucker who still uses horse and plough for farming and gets pissy about modern tractors. Fucking kill yourself; your desire for a board to remain relevant in the fact of technology is cancerous. Stop being a faggot trying to hold back progress because of your religious beliefs.
>>
>>532889

Edgy I like it
>>
At least enable sound web for /b/ so that it might be more interesting
>>
File: 1455960149991-0.webm (588 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1455960149991-0.webm
588 KB, 720x404
>collected 100s of sounds webms from other imageboards
>can't post any of them here
t-thanks

tbqh though they've ignored this shit ever since people started asking for it so I doubt they're going to listen now (not even about VP9/opus support). baka my damn head.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.