[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Brave New World
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: soma.jpg (70 KB, 482x700) Image search: [Google]
soma.jpg
70 KB, 482x700
Have you read it? Has anybody else thought it would actually be the ideal form of government? While a Brave New World was written as a dystopia, I can see it only as the perfect, conflict free government mankind could ever create. Partially copying the book, partially inspired.

>Population is completely pacified forever by government endorsed drugs that act as a general happy med. If you want to ensure the population never rebels, you can increase their addition to ensure rebellion against the government causes withdrawal/death.
>The population is sorted into castes for their own good as man simply is unfit to govern himself for the most part. Only the intelligent elite are allowed positions of power to ensure competency and prevent turmoil in leadership. Most of the population act as menial labor, but they are never dissatisfied with their lives thanks to meds like Soma and are content with their station.
>The people are controlled by their vices, not by fear or hate. While they are already pacified by drugs, you can completely bind them with media to ensure they are in a permanent state of joy and not even aware of their lack of freedom, nor do they even want it. If offered liberation, they would spurn it in favor of government sponsored videogames and reality shows which are played/streamed 24/7.
>This government can expand further and swallow up other nations courtesy of its ability to remain perfectly stable and incredibly efficient by never suffering any problems with its population. It would actually stand the best chance of creating a world government.
>As the population is not only removed largely from any position of power but also mindfucked into complacency, they are perfectly happy with any changes the government enacts so long as their doses of drugs continue and they get their bombardment of media. Not only can you change laws on a whim to suit your needs, but you can even erase history to ensure the population only knows what you want.
>>
People deserve Liberty, regardless of their personal feelings on the matter. They may want to be slaves, but the moral responsibility of man is to seek the truth in all facets of life, and to live in freedom, regardless the hardship or consequence.
>>
>>72299936
People deserve nothing. Man has no moral responsibility of any sort beyond the basic function of all life- reproduce, expand, and thrive. A Brave New World style dictatorship would actually execute this better than any democracy due to total control over all humanity it encompasses. It could ensure the continued survival of man well into future by being able to dedicate any amount of resources it needs to tackle any problem- especially if it manages to conquer the rest of the world.

Freedom's great, but having competent leaders with absolute power unshackled by worrying about votes or opinions is greater.
>>
>>72299714
Half the population would be little more than cattle, which I find morally repugnant.
>>
>>72300309
>competent leaders

There lies the issue. The only even remotely plausible way of managing an entity of that size and complexity is by a machine.
>>
>>72300309
But then what separates us from animals, if not moral responsibility? It would be effective, but an effective solution isn't always the right one.
>>
>>72300520
Is it a cage if the bird wants nothing else but to live in it?
>>
>>72300520
Look around you. Most people are already.
I'll tip my own fedora. It sounds Reddit-tier and pretentious but it is kind of true.
>>
>>72299714
Normally I hate when people use this as an insult, but goddamn this is the edgiest shit I've ever come across. Literally how is any of what you listed good in any way? Do you think you'll be part of the ruling class somehow? Did you even read the fucking ending?
>>
>>72300677
That is true, although a corporation-style method of recruiting new leaders might work in the mean-time. A lot of incompetence would be eliminated by also eliminating the economy, which a BNW style state would effectively do. The economy in fact would be nothing but smoke and mirrors, with the guys on top of the pyramid scheme already living in the highest possible spot.

But I guess depending on humans to be rational and not desire even more power is a fool's gamble.
>>
>>72299936
First post best post. People don't need to be happy, they need to be free.
>>
File: Red_Rising.jpg (29 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
Red_Rising.jpg
29 KB, 317x475
If anyone hasn't read this series I highly recommend it.
>>
>>72300812
Yes and yes. But I recognize my self already as an irrelevant cog of a far greater machine. Humanity is what matters, not individual humans.

>>72300702
I hate to break it to you, but the only difference between humanity and other animals is that we are arguably one of the better ("fittest") species to ever evolve in Earth's history as we've placed ourselves on the top of every foodchain on the planet. But of course fittest is subjective, and unless we get our shit together ants will probably still be around when humans are long gone.
>>
>>72299714
Get bent. Sociopathy, means to an end, always fails in pratical reality. And psychos like you just can't ever learn from history to correct your implementation of utopia, time and time again.
>>
>>72301172
But a BNW nation has never actually been attempted before in all of history. The resources required for it would be massive, and it'd take a hell of a xanatos gambit to enact it without it being shot down, but once in place it would be impossible to dislodge. It would be one of the few things capable of uniting the species under one flag.
>>
>>72300309
No, it isn't. Survival means nothing if man loses that which is more important than his animalistic functions. The people could become slaves, willingly live as slaves and be perfectly content with their lives, their survival entrusted to a governmental entity, but what would be the point? What is the point of surviving if your existence is to live as nothing more than a servant? I would sooner see the world burn and die as a free man than be guaranteed safety as a subserviant to those who wish to rule
>>
>>72299714
You will love living in North Korea
Also Japan has a similar system to that REGARDING their education and look how they turned out
>>
>>72301438
The point is surviving for survival's sake, which is nothing more than the current point of life anyway. Ensure your genetic legacy is passed down, then die.
>>
>>72299714
You seem to think the only problem a government can have is revolutions.

>This government can expand further and swallow up other nations courtesy of its ability to remain perfectly stable and incredibly efficient by never suffering any problems with its population.

What about when you get steamrolled by another govt. whose citizens arent a bunch of drugged out hippies
>>
>>72301046
>we are arguably one of the better ("fittest") species to ever evolve in Earth's history

The majority of insects and microorganisms are more fit than humans both in terms of total individuals as well as total biomass. If Easter Island is a good model for humanity as a whole we are an inherently self destructive and unfit species.
>>
>>72301367
No and No. Genuine emotional value > Intelluctual emotional value. What do I mean by this?

You have 2 individuals. One is a sociopath with a Intelluctual love for humanity, the other a genuine human being.

Sociopath 1, runs for office, jumps through all the hoops, and is extremely effective at mobilizing his machinations for the perfect world.

Human 2, also pursues an political position, but is emotionally compromised. Thereby he is less effective then Sociopath 1 at achieving his personal goals.

So Sociopath 1 wins right? No. Why? Because while Sociopath 1 can effectively fool the people around him, and generally do what's necessary to achieve his goal, he intrinsically lacks the "character ethic*".

What is the "character ethic*"? It's a persons unobservable effects and actions when nobody is looking. What he does when they're alone in a room, what passes through their head, the unseen strings pulling their actions.

A man who is brave, and a man who pretends to be brave, may both reap the benefits of the status surrounding that. But long term, even at the brave mans detriment, the actual bravery exhibited and put into practice for the people and cause he actually loves, will ALWAYS outshine the illusion the sociopath paints for a means to an end.

Sociopaths fail because they lack the character ethic completely. And no man with a intact soul would ever want to inflict Huxleys horror upon a people, or world, he actually loved.
>>
>>72299714

This book always gives me the chills.
>>
>>72299714
The best way to solve the problems we have, is to exterminate all life on earth.
>>
>>72301850
>What about when you get steamrolled by another govt. whose citizens arent a bunch of drugged out hippies

this kind of pacification would probably come after completely subduing every nation through superior firepower. wouldn't be smart to do it before you've "won"
>>
File: 1398394895828.jpg (86 KB, 580x390) Image search: [Google]
1398394895828.jpg
86 KB, 580x390
>>72302447
Oh shit so its the end-game of globalism.
>>
>>72299714
I think the Brave New World is inevitable. The underlying structure of reality tends to create entities with a centralized control center- Cells have nuclei, multi-cellular life has a central nervous system, and social super-organisms have a government. The super-organism is in its evolutionary infancy- only about 4 to 6 thousand years old- is it crazy to think that one day the vast majority of the population is an essentially mindless tool of a governmental brain? I don't think so
>>
>>72300705
Is it a home if you just eat, sleep, and live in it?
>>
>>72299714
we are in Brave New World, but its fast becoming 1984, because

THE MONEY IS GONE
>>
read BNW Revisited

Huxley recognised that he made Brave New World essentially too attractive in the first book
>>
>>72299714
I'm actually reading it right now after I dropped it awhile back (depression makes me drop things even if I enjoy them).
It's really a great novel, but I don't think the society in it is perfect at all.
For one, too much control inevitably leads to stagnation since that control would quash the element needed for change to occur.
Furthermore, such uniformity results in even the smallest of differences being labelled as unseemly so that perfection is obsessively sought after but never reached (specifically, I'm thinking of the Bernard at the orgy-porgy).
>>
>>72302447
Or you just have nukes to ensure MAD.
>>
>>72299714
I've read it. I actually read it right after reading 1984 and the similarities were rather impressive. Comparing those two books is a real treat. They are so different but so similar
>>
>>72303976
>THE MONEY IS GONE

What did they spend it on this time around?
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 220x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 220x316
If you liked BNW, you should read Crome yellow. It's his first book and isn't particularly long.

Also, everyone one that speaks of freedom as good, just and morally right is a moron. I'd rather be a slave who does my part to help humanity spread throughout space. Than be free to do nothing on this earth.
>>
>>72302210
The character ethic is meaningless- the emotional core of the person is meaningless for it is only known by that individual, and it passes with death. What is wrought with your hands is eternal and will be a monument to all future generations. The compromised man will fade into history with his achievements forgotten- the sociopath in your scenario however is rendered immortal and his work will survive into the future.
>>
>>72304643
This

If you value your emotions and your freedoms above all else, then you are the "sociopath".

But that leads into why you even believe freedom or free will exist in the first place. You are so desperate for control, a key part of any sociopath.
>>
>>72299714
You missed the entire point of the book. The society seems perfect because everyone's needs are completely met, and there's no attachment and things like that, but you get the real theme from John the Savage's character arc; even though most things in life seem like chores (having to work your entire life etc...), and parts of our social lives seem like they put us to odds with happiness (as I mentioned before, social attachment etc...), it's essentially these things that make us human.

These weird things that are ingrained in our evolution, that we sometimes think we would be better off without, are what drive us, they're what gives us purpose, and even though we get bored and depressed, the happiness we get from the simple things in life are valuable enough to keep around.

If you honestly thought A Brave New World's soulless, and detached world is ideal, I think you might have autism.
>>
>>72299714
You forgot
>Any man can have sex with any woman he wants basically anytime
>Strangely, no one seems to be interested in homosexual sex
>In fact, it's never even mentioned
>>
>>72305111
The book was written in the early 20th century, m8. Long before the relentless LGBBQT propaganda that bombards us today.
>>
>>72304981
they do work their entire lives though. Did YOU read the book?

The people in BNW enjoy their soma, but they work and do their job.

So you're saying it's better to live out in the middle of no where accomplishing nothing? The Indians did nothing, didn't create or advance anything.

Meanwhile those in the BNW did work to advance humanity
>>
>>72305244
I misspoke, i didn't mean to mention work.

My point still stands though, the people in the book have to numb themselves endlessly with a drug in order to live their soulless lives; there's absolutely nothing appealing about this, especially since we can still move humanity forward without having to resort to such extreme measures.

You seriously sound like you have a slave mentality; you would give up life's finer pleasures like love, connection, a sense of accomplishment, economic, political, and personal freedom to become a 'cog in a machine'? That doesn't sound like an equivalent exchange at all.
>>
>>72304259

The book 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin is also worth the read if you enjoy the dystopian sci fi, written quite a time before BNW and 1984.
>>
Another problem you got there, its a completely fictional fucking drug. And whats to stop the elites from getting addicted to the Skooma too and become complacent.
>>
>>72304643
>>72304780
See? You never learn. You can't fool reality. What ever component is missing in you, it dooms your machinations to failure. This has been recorded, and observed, through out history by its greatest philosophers.

Like someone who can't feel pain, you question why such a thing would even be useful, even as the infection from cuts and scrapes spreads throughout your entire body.

I take solace in the fact that edge lords like yourselves have been reduced to Intelluctual cosplayers on Japanese cartoon inspired image board arguing over the merits of the soul.
>>
>>72299936

People don't deserve shit.

You have to earn it, every single generation has to fight for their freedom or it will be taken away.
>>
>>72306522
I just post here for fun. I intend to either join the FBI or NSA and sift through your guys' emails.
>>
>>72306522
Nothing I said has anything to do with an inability to feel pain. Even the connection you were trying to make doesn't apply.

I simply believe human advancement is more important than almost all single humans, including myself.

It has nothing to do with feeling or love or pain.
>>
>>72299714
>man simply is unfit to govern himself for the most part.
>Only the intelligent elite are allowed positions of power to ensure competency and prevent turmoil in leadership.

???

>intelligent elite
>prevent turmoil in leadership
???????????

This is why it's not an ideal form of government.
>>
Why is it whenever people talk about this book they always overlook the massive amounts of genetic engineering that goes on it? It's pretty much the central part of their entire society but instead everyone just fixates on the drugs instead. Have you guys even read the book? The lower classes aren't content so much because they're addicts but because they're universally mentally retarded, they lack the cognitive capacity for dissent. This is what makes comparing it to todays society so stupid, we don't have mass genetic engineering anything like that and those features that people like to point to are features from the society the book was written in that already occurred then, you really think drug abuse and rampant meaningless sex is something people just came up with in the 90s or something?
>>
>>72299714
A cubic centimeter pill is kind of big.
>>
>>72307491
>no mass genetic engineering
>what are diseases
>>
>>72301046
why does humanity even matter? who gives a shit? why not just be dead from the start instead of living empty hedonist lives briefly before dying?
>>
>>72307491
It wouldn't be hard to select for a slightly modified version of Down Syndrome.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>72307491
What are you talking about anon? Drones volunteer to turn into genejacks and they lose now cognitive capacity after the change, our IQ tests prove it.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.