[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good Vocations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 236x144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 236x144
I am currently 21 and have been attending an elite lolberal arts uni for 2 years. I have not chosen a major yet because of the very limited selection and usefulness of the majors that are offered. I assume that many others on this board are in similar situations, so for our sakes answer this question: Given the current state of the job market, what vocation or skilled labor occupations could one train for to have a stable, profitable career?
>>
>>80602128
HVAC. Medical Tech. Avionics. Program developer. Steam pipefitter.

Those are just off the top of my head. All of them make 100k at the professional level without degrees. But it varies from job to job and its not easy hence why their paid well.

What did you want to do originally?
>>
>>80603645
I wanted to do dentistry, but I no longer want to stay in school for 6 years and then spend another 2-4 on a residency
>>
>>80602128
anything medicine related, people are gonna get sick no matter what, theres always a shortage of nurses everywhere. nursing its 2 years plus 2 or prereqs
>>
>>80604657
LPN or RN? Or just any nursing position?
>>
>>80602128
Statistics, machine learning
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 489x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 489x499
>>80602128
Study finance at top tier uni > go into IB > go into PE > start a hedge fund > make millions of dollarydoos for the rest of your life

Ask me how I know.
>>
>>80606237
how do you know?
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 300x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 300x323
>>80606361
Cause I'm a HF manager with $5B under mgmt
>>
>>80602128
This is a better question for /biz/.

I'd suggest since you have some credits, you could be a police officer.
>>
>>80606113
>tfw statistician going back to school to become a network engineer because I want a useful, portable skill related to infrastructure
>>
>>80606700
Nice.

I plan to study finance and get into that sort of thing. How to start ones own hedge fund?

>>80606960
Is it hard to find work as a statistician?
>>
>>80606237
Do you live in north or south carolina`?
>>
>>80607057
Yes and no. There will always be work for people that can design, perform, and interpret experiments, as well as solve complex decision science problems. The problem is that an MS is almost the bare minimum degree to get your foot in the door, and a PhD is functionally mandatory.
>>
>>80606770
I live in NYC. NYPD isn't gonna hire for three years if I take the exam right now. Should I move to another district?
>>
>>80604527
Don't blame you. I was lucky enough to get tuition reimbursement with my company. I work in defense but manufacturing is boring as shit. I made 105k last year but want to do something more interesting.

If you're smart enough to be a dentist maybe you can use your credits to get into finance or systems engineer. At the school I went to both those took 3-5 years and paid very well out of school. You got to be a smartass tho.
>>
>>80607726
Do you like Mexico? Commiefornia is always hiring
>>
>>80607984
Can't stand the Caliphate.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.