[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any highly-educated polsters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: index.jpg (15 KB, 307x164) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
15 KB, 307x164
Not that education is synonymous with raw intelligence (certainly not in this day and age), but it would be interesting to know what the general education level of the average /pol/ster is.

Do any of you have degrees in rigorous subjects? Masters? Doctorates?

Did any of you go to prestigious universities; e.g. Ivy Leagues, tech-schools, Oxbridge?
>>
>>80427297
Simple answer, yes.

But I must inform you that schooling and education are different beasts.

I have learned next to nothing of true value in a classroom.
>>
I'm 20. Did very academically in high-school. I intended to take a few years out prior to college but I just ended up getting into somewhat of a stagnation.

I'm going to apply to university at the end of the year to study Mathematics.
>>
>>80427297
B.S. in Economics and a Masters in Finance from a "Target School". I work in corporate finance for a large privately held firm.
>>
>>80427657

The vast majority of the teachers and classroom lectures I have had have been utterly pointless. Provided you have a shred of self-discipline and have access to the necessary materials, you can self-teach 99% of what is taught throughout the duration of a degree.
>>
>>80427297
This board has reasonably cogent opinions and well written views.

I think with status and education it goes against the anon-principles of the chans to brag about it. similar to the 'tits or gtfo' concept.

for what its worth I have a degree in philosophy and have almost finished medical school.
>>
Juris Doctor here. Not that that's truly rigorous.
>>
>>80427850
Exactly.

You are almost better off buying a desk lamp and getting an Amazon Prime account.

Cheaper, and you are able to actually explore knowledge.
>>
>>80427850
>>80427657

Basically this. The only time profs are truly useful is if they are savant-like in their knowledge (rare) or if they have connections for networking (many do, many don't).

I networked hard with some of my profs to get a job at my school's alumni fund. Also, some of my profs had connections in big defense, which helped my land my first job out of college. Brown nosing the right people is essential. As much as I hate it, it has its place unfortunately. I'm glad I sucked up my pride in befriending a prof that I hated.
>>
2nd year masters student. Its been rough being broke
>>
I'm doing a Masters degree now.
But I'm still a retard.
>>
>>80428314
History
>>
>>80427297
Failed all my GCSE's and now work at Asda full time. I would really love to retake my GCSES, but I can't afford to pay for the retake, nor do I have time because I need to work at least 40 hours a week to pay rent.

Life is shit, and I think about suicide all the time.
>>
>>80427297
PhD in Mathematics. Got the job I wanted right after graduation, $300k salary.
>>
>>80427297
Not here. IQ of 143, but never went to college due to the costs. My parents couldn't help out at the time, and I needed to work full time. Luckily things turned around for my dad, and they were able to put both my sisters through college.

35yo single beta male making 65k a year
>>
>>80428103

maybe not if you went to a shit school
>>
>>80427850
I attended barely any of my lectures this year and still easily achieved a first
Well not easily
But it wasn't as hard as it should have been in my opinion.
It shouldn't be possible for me to have never really tried all the way through school and still achieve a good degree.
>>
Bachelors in History and Engineering
In a few years I'm going to get dual masters in Meteorology and Oceanography as part of my job
After that I might get a PhD in Japanese history

I'm a fucking renaissance man.
>>
>>80427297
I have an Associates of Science in Biology

I also go to UCLA.
>>
Masters In Accounting Fag here, kind of difficult field to work in, not sure if it's considered STEM rigorous, soon to be CPA Fag.
>>
About to get a bachelors in accounting, probably going to try for at least Doctorate.

Never really paid attention to how that stacked up with truly rigorous studies but it is definitely the hardest in the traditional school of business
>>
>>80428497

Mate, you can find private exam centers that allow you to sit GCSE/IGCSE exams relatively cheaply. There's a center near me that charges £95 per subject. So you could get ten solid GCSEs for a grand. And given that you're older now, it will be piss-easy to get good grades.

Alternatively, you could save even more money and just do 2-3 A-Levels. If you got good grades in them (wouldn't be that hard; just requires consistent studying), most universities would overlook your GCSE grades if you then wanted to go onto further study.

What age are you?
>>
>>80427297
masters in business
>>
B.S. in Electrical Engineering.

>Fell for the STEM meme
>>
>>80428518
You a Quant?
>>
File: PoliSci Welcome.jpg (426 KB, 1333x1521) Image search: [Google]
PoliSci Welcome.jpg
426 KB, 1333x1521
>>80427297
B.A. in Political Science, minor in Communication from a shitty state university.

I got my real education earlier going to schools in white/asian upper middle class suburbia
>>
File: 1462729032914.jpg (71 KB, 640x475) Image search: [Google]
1462729032914.jpg
71 KB, 640x475
B.Sc Chemistry -TrentU
>>
Currently attending a small, prestigious, "intellectual" university. I've learned a ton here, but as another anon stated, not necessarily in the classroom or assigned reading. It's definitely been good for critical thinking
>>
Nurse practitioner. NYU.
>>
>>80428103
did u pass the bar tho
>>
>>80428497
Start learning a trade
>>
Ivy math for undergrad. I'm 27 and never touching school again.
>>
>>80428518
go fuck urself faget
>>
BS in Physics from West Point. #1 public school in America yay
>>
>>80428886
I'd go for a CFA if you can. It's more efficient from a salary vs time/money perspective.
>>
A bachelor of science degree in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Psychodynamic pychotherapy
>>
>>80428886

My nigga, here's some advice from an Accountant, only get the Masters and beyond if you absolutely want to be a CPA, if you just want a job as an accountant, don't bother with the Masters and above, you learn everything you will ever need in the BS program.
>>
>Bachelors in commerce
>currently in 4th year of medical school

I like to go around here posting shitty "really makes you think" threads for fun. Sometimes I'll post some "how can white men compete" threads when I'm drunk. This place brings out the child in me
>>
>>80427297
MEng in EE

imperial college

>>80428957
it's really not a meme lad (unless you went to a shit school or something I guess)
>>
>>80428497
Why is your rent so fucking high ?
Mine is 93 a week and I thought that was pretty high, well I have a few friends who pay a good bit less

But yeah, it's free to do a trade
>>
>>80427297
inb4 B.ASc in Mechanical Engineering
>>
File: judge-pal-small-ad.jpg (76 KB, 400x347) Image search: [Google]
judge-pal-small-ad.jpg
76 KB, 400x347
>>80427297

Im semi educated I suppose.
Minor business/industry type degree, done via correspondence.
Also a Justice of the Peace who occasionally sits as a magistrate on minor charges/bail hearings and protection orders.

So quite literally at times "I am the LAW"
>>
>>80427297
i have a b.s. in urban planning from university of michigan which basically means squat. im an expert on the downfall of detroit though and us urban history though. i could write a book on that subject.
>>
>>80428457
What are you specializing in?
>>
>>80429440
I went to a good school, graduated with honors, but I'm still getting paid a below average salary for an engineer and the job itself is shit. I feel like I'm being screwed and I'm very bitter.
>>
>>80428922
Cheers for the advice, and I'm 21. I will be looking into enrolling on a A-level course, or trade like others said. Much appreciated.
>>
>>80429760
You should work for a downtown NGO or an firm like Perkins & Will or RTKL or something like that. Your degree doesn't mean squat. The economic link between the built environment and the health of cities is important.
>>
File: mathphd[1].jpg (40 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
mathphd[1].jpg
40 KB, 640x427
>>80429019
How new are you? Be honest.
>>
>>80428682
I like you
>>
>>80427297

MSc Economics, AMA
>>
File: 1444536624129.png (2 MB, 1000x1328) Image search: [Google]
1444536624129.png
2 MB, 1000x1328
I got my GED at 26 and make 120,000$ a year working as a manager at Wendy's.
Get rekt college fags.
>>
>>80429815
how? companies here are rushing to suck off engineers and in the UK there's also a lot of demand for imperial engineers.

like half my friends are in investment banking and the rest went to work for places like rolls royce and shit.
>>
File: 156146.jpg (19 KB, 253x235) Image search: [Google]
156146.jpg
19 KB, 253x235
>>80430056
>manager of a Wendy's.
>$120k a year
>>
>>80427297
Masters degree in industrial management and economics at the Swedish Royal institute of technology.

Not as fancy as Oxbridge, but pretty good all things considered.
>>
>>80430088
Fuck if I know, I must have slipped through the cracks.
>>
>>80430056
How big is your cock?
>>
>>80430056

>$120,000 p/a

Intellectually and creatively barren as a career though.
>>
>>80430056
Yeah but u work at a wendys bro
>>
>>80427297
Did an MA in history/archaeology at UCL. Was a great experience. Should have gone on to do my MPhil/PhD but decided it was time to come back to Australia where my degree would be zero use to me.
>>
>>80427297
stop asking for personal information

stop violating the rules

stop your stupid shit right fucking now
>>
File: 1460424336991.jpg (161 KB, 625x560) Image search: [Google]
1460424336991.jpg
161 KB, 625x560
>>80430136
>>80430350
>>80430457
>
>>80430342
this guy gets it, at least 11 inches
>>
>>80429969
i live in oregon now. my brother stayed back in michigan though. he's an EE at ford.
>>
File: FNV_NCR_Flag.png (152 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
FNV_NCR_Flag.png
152 KB, 2000x1333
>>80427297
I have a bachelor's in History and Political Science. 17k in savings, 8k in stocks. I work when I feel like it at a university near my house.

I'm more interested in traveling, since money has diminishing returns and I value my experiences over money.

I'm going to Quebec for a couple of months to learn French. When I'm done screwing around, I'm going to work with my father in his accounting business.
>>
File: activate it.png (358 KB, 415x545) Image search: [Google]
activate it.png
358 KB, 415x545
>>80427297
I have a Masters and a few awards. I never really strove to apply for shitloads of other awards because I don't particularly need them for my profession and you need to submit statements of intent that are a massive waste of time.

I half-agree with >>80427657. I've been lucky enough to have had some excellent teachers (relics of an age since passed in my opinion). The others were sometimes useful for networking and, if not that, then nothing at all.

Incidentally, it might be an interesting idea to start some sort of networking initiative on /pol/. We all share common interests anyway, and I'm certain half of you aren't nearly as autistic as you like claiming to be when you shitpost.
>>
>>80430500

Why not go to an Australian university? I got denied from UCL because of foreign cunts like you taking British places, had to go to Kings.
>>
>>80430500
on the plus side at least you don't live in a barren scorching desert wasteland with nothing to do
>>
>>80430350
>career that's intellectually rewarding
>lol u broke ass nigga

>career that makes lots of money
>lol enjoy your repetitive unstimulating job nigga

Just can't win
>>
Everyone on /pol/ has a PhD in human genetics, economics, history, politics, and philosophy
>>
File: 1393538194095.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1393538194095.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1200
>>80427297
Just graduated with a Master's degree in Computer Science and I'm still more educated on civics than your average Women's or Ethnic studies student. I'm about to start a 6 figure job at a start up. Feels good man.
>>
>>80430670
I did my undergraduate at an Australian university. I had been living in the UK for 7 years and have dual citizenship through ancestry. So, I was actually a domestic student and paid domestic rates, as you would have.

So, bad excuse. Kings is a great college, anyway.
>>
>>80430670
Why not got to a British university? If you ain't good enough to defend your spot well maybe it's not your fucken spot cunt
>>
>>80430025
Why?

WHAT DO YOU KNOW???

I may have paranoia.
>>
>>80430011
/sci/-flavored chuckle
>>
>>80427297

Msc. Environmental Science (inb4 hurrrr) it was in Trophic Ecology.
>>
>>80427297

Got a meme CS degree and a meme CS job. Not from a big name school, but still doing well. Might need to find something else to do when/if tech bubble pops.
>>
>>80427297

Geophysics student here at a Russell Group uni...

> 2 years ago I had been 8 years out of maths and physics. Knew fuck all.
> Got on a foundation year which lead to the full degree
> I know can understand subjects enough to help teach my friends shit like Eigenvector calculations and Fourier series equations when we revise together.
> Can't wait to graduate, get a job in resource, making a solid foundation for myself and those I care for
>>
>>80429803
United states immigration also interested in united states migration as well
>>
Bachelors in mechanical engineering.

I don't make much and half my job is thinking of ways to put other people out of work, but what can you do.
>>
PhD in chemistry from Georgia Tech.
>>
>>80433210
undergraduate chemistry degree here
Hows that PhD working for you?
>>
>>80427297
I have a doctorate in Theoretical Astrophysics. But a thread like this is gonna have a good amount of selection bias.
>>
>>80427297
>Doing mechatronic engineering degree
>Just finished my first semester of third year
>Worst semester by far
>Have to resit one of my exams because I didn't meet the hurdle requirement for the exam
First time failing an exam, it feels shit. I don't know if I'll be able to pass. If I do fail the exam again I'll have to do the class again which will mean my degree will be extended for 6 months. I must have only failed by a few percent, so I'm hoping I'll scrape through a pass if I get it reevaluated.

Sorry if this is off topic, I just wanted to vent.
>>
>>80427297

no, right wing weenies have double digit IQs and shit post from their parents house all day
>>
>>80427297

sure... im a civil engineer. State uni, eastern european tier. not bad but not great either.

thou not so eager to do my master and doctorate until i have several year of practical knowledge.

if you dont go this path you have to get loans to fund you education which noone will recognize since you dont have practical experience.

even here we make fun of any humanity degrees or language and literature because the market is over saturated by these people.
>>
>>80433373
Eh. It depends on what you want to do. I went to grad school cause I had nothing better to do and the economy tanked in 2009. I had a great time (minus some of the usual BS you hear about from gradstudents). I work a small start up that's doing well but in all honesty if you want a job that pays well with normal hours, be an engineer. Undergrad degree only is nearly useless unless you stay somewhere for a long long time but you still get trumped by a person with a PhD. I'm 30 and I have higher authority over 40-50 year olds when it comes to decision making. They are fine with it but just understand that, if you have undergrad degree only, you do what you're told. There's also way more jobs for engineers, chemical operators, and technicians than there are for research scientists. Research also gets canned first during down sizing. In short I enjoyed my time but I wouldn't let my own kids go to gradschool for a PhD in chemistry. Be an engineer.

Would you like to know more?
>>
File: this is fine.png (215 KB, 500x253) Image search: [Google]
this is fine.png
215 KB, 500x253
>>80427657

This. I guess that's what I get for going into the humanities and law. B.A from a shit school, M.A. from a good school, J.D from an okay school (good specifically in my area of specialization, shit in most others).

>mfw forced to take a cultural anthropology course to meet undergraduate degree requirements, and the first topic is basically "why cultural relativism is correct"
>>
bachelors in comp sci here

im not gay btw
>>
>>80433960
And also right now major industries are doing very very poorly. No one is hiring. Everyone is downsizing and merging. The only industries that are doing well are startups which can be fun or really shitty or semiconductors wherein you get paid a buttfuck ton but you are a literal slave being on call 24/7 depending on which part of the process you are on.
>>
>>80429433
because you're trying to cope with the amount of stress from med school
>what is regression
>>
>>80427297
I've got a PhDd from an Ivy League university. I come here mostly to laugh at the prevailing stupidity. I also stop by to see what varieties of popular bigotry and hatred are showing up at the moment. It's an honest window onto what kinds of popular resentment are out there.

And to everyone who is saying "education is worthless; you might as well teach yourself" I can only say that you've never been in a good class. Top-level teaching takes you quickly from a level of minimal knowledge and understanding up to a great level of expertise. You can never learn as well teaching yourself and as you can in a class of a dozen super-smart people and a world-expert leading discussion. Being an autodidact also has the disadvantage of lending itself to idiosyncrasy and eccentricity in thinking. You might hold a few misguided or crackpot ideas and don't realize it because no one corrects you in your solipsistic vacuum chamber.
>>
>>80434995
This. During the hard times of my PhD I came here to shit post and pretended to be a black laniqua tranny and tell people check their privilege. It was quite a release.
>>
>>80435190
>Being an autodidact also has the disadvantage of lending itself to idiosyncrasy and eccentricity in thinking. You might hold a few misguided or crackpot ideas and don't realize it because no one corrects you in your solipsistic vacuum chamber.

You were doing alright until this point.

>"I can't learn anything unless someone explains it to me because I'm a fucking retard and do not trust my own faculties and judgment. Now please teach me by rote so I can regurgitate the 'correct' answer when necessary."
>>
BA Economics and Sociology.
MA Statistics currently.
Debating between phd or industry.

Literally seen the two ends of the spectrum. Econ majors are libertarians or right wing, sociology majors are fucking communists.

I think high academic achievement won't necessarily translate into /pol/ being more appealing. But rather your degree. I reckon there are a lot of economics or mathematics people around here, and very few sociology/politics.
>>
>>80427297
currently studying engineering
>>
>>80434315
Same here. To both parts.
>>
>>80427297
I'm a professor at Harvard. AMA
>>
>>80435960
Learning by rote doesn't get you a PhD. You need to be able to think originally and critically. You've got the wrong idea about the highest level of study.

I reiterate the point about autodidacts. They tend to be more susceptible to conspiracy theories and odd ideas simply because they're not often forced to justify all their positions in public to rigorous audiences. For an example, you can take the so-called "authorship question" in Shakespeare studies. It's popular among amateurs but doesn't cut it among scholars in the field simply because it's a bad, crackpot theory that can only be held if you deliberately ignore a lot of evidence.
>>
>>80436401
Field? What brings you here?
>>
Yes, M.D.
>>
I have a quaduple degree from Harvard and a joint double degree from princeton.
mkaing about 500k a month just riting about my thoughts on philofy and sheeitt
>>
I got my Computer Science degree from Yale, if that counts for anything. I managed to escape from there without being brainwashed, but I can't say the same for my older sister, who also graduated from there.
>>
>>80427297

/pol/tard since it was /new/

good: Masters degree

bad: its in sociology
>>
>>80437041
>on a Nicaraguan pan flute making board.
>>
>>80436621
>You've got the wrong idea about the highest level of study

I wasn't speaking about the highest level of study, though. You said "autodidacts" without further context. I have an M.A. anyway, so I am at least familiar with the general course of postgraduate studies.

>They tend to be more susceptible to conspiracy theories and odd ideas simply because they're not often forced to justify all their positions in public to rigorous audiences. For an example, you can take the so-called "authorship question" in Shakespeare studies. It's popular among amateurs but doesn't cut it among scholars in the field simply because it's a bad, crackpot theory that can only be held if you deliberately ignore a lot of evidence.

That's only a problem if you're stupid. You should be able to think critically and examine your own ideas. I was corrected by other seminar participants or the professor perhaps one time (and that was debatable) during the course of my grad studies. I suppose going through the upper levels of college is a necessity if you wish to pursue a career, at least in most fields, but there is nothing wrong with teaching yourself if all you need is a working knowledge of the subject, or if you don't intend to teach. Besides, you can be published without qualifications. I had a paper published in an actual peer-reviewed journal before I even finished undergrad... but, as noted in a previous post, I'm not a STEMfag so maybe that's the reason.

"Tending to be more susceptible" is pretty much a non issue.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 411x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 411x404
BS Cybersecurity
MS Cybersecurity
Thinking about getting another MS or a PhD because I don't really want to join the real world yet. I'm 24
>>
Sign the petition to formally recognize Black Lives Matter as a terrorist organization:}

petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/formally-recognize-black-lives-matter-terrorist-organization
>>
>>80437208
just look me up and reed my papers hater
Professor Tyrone Moesha Washington JD PHD LLC ABC
>>
Studied Physics and Astrophysics (B.Sc) at a uni that split Oxford and Cambridge in the physics rankings for a while while I was there. Did analysis on LHC data as part of project work.

A few days ago I got into the shower while I still had my glasses on so it doesn't count for as much as you think.
>>
I have a theoretical degree in physics
>>
>>80437371
Oh I'm not doubting you. It always amuses me the type of people that are on 4chan.
>>
>>80427297
I graduated from Marquette Law School in '14.
Most people outside of the U.S. have never heard of Marquette though, so...
>>
Studying medicine, but don't post her often
>>
>>80437371
>Moesha Washington JD PHD LLC ABC

>dat name

Okay now I doubt you.
>>
>>80427297

Yeah, I go to Dartmouth College (Ivy).
>>
>>80436401
Woah, really? I'm a Navy SEAL, AMA.
>>
>>80427297
I dropped out of community college because I planned to kill myself. AMA
>>
File: 5697892431.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
5697892431.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
Is 26 too old to go to university?
>>
>>80437966

No. And unis are usually glad to have mature students as they know you're not going to fuck about.
>>
>>80437966

No. In the final year of my undergraduate studies there was a guy who was about 40 years old and a successful professional on the board of the Canadian Wheat Board (when it existed). He was getting a degree to further his career, and also because he was interested in the subject. To be fair, he was mostly successful because when he started working it was not entirely necessary to have a degree in your field of work, but still.. if a 40 year old can do it then you can man up as well. As an aside, he was more competent than basically anyone else I met there.
>>
>>80427297
Education is Jewish Kike mind control. That's why I dropped out of school at 16.
>>
File: kek.jpg (158 KB, 426x640) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
158 KB, 426x640
>tfw Harvard grad
>tfw OP posts pic of Matthews Hall
>tfw missing favorite Cambridge spots

pic related
>>
I have a BS in Compsci and an MBA. I think most of college is worthless shit. It's all crap. Only maybe 5 good classes out of the 6 years. That's really like 4 months worth of study.
>>
>>80427297
Working on a Masters in Biology at NMBU.
>>
>>80429760
I'm thinking of going to grad school for urban planning. Will have a BS in Urban Studies because that's all my uni offers. Worried about finding a job without grad school. Also majoring in Geography. Bachelor of Science and GIS is still STEM master race, r-right?
>>
>>80427297
> Not that education is synonymous with raw intelligence.

I approve of that note.
I'm a 31 year old electrical engineer, graduated top tier from high school.
Have gotten award from Hellenic Mathematics Society.
My interests have been shifting a lot.
Currently working construction.
Nothing rigorous sadly, frankly I wish I could be even more lazy.
>>
>>80437810
damn son, I'm former president of the united states Bill Clinton AMA
>>
File: Elizabeth-Hurley.jpg (79 KB, 615x879) Image search: [Google]
Elizabeth-Hurley.jpg
79 KB, 615x879
Anyone here do any sort of biophysics shit or nanotech? I'm honestly thinking about going back for a Masters and can't decide between the two.
>>
I exist, AMA
>>
>>80438968
best sex evar?
>>
>>80438634
Wait you work at Berry Line and you are a harvard grad?
>>
>>80438968
Well, that's cool. But I'm CURRENT president of the United States, Barack Obama AMA
>>
File: 1465604656062.jpg (53 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1465604656062.jpg
53 KB, 640x640
>tfw dropped out due to depression despite being one of the smartest and hardworking kids in high school

I'm now a NEET who spends most of his time shitposting on a Kyrgyzstani breakdancing forum.
>>
>>80427297
Minimum wage pleb here

I'm seething with anger

I should have been an Oxford scholar

I don't belong here with you scum
>>
>>80439035
Well Hilldog is a bit of a biter, but damn little Chelsea back when she use to fall right asleep ol billies willlie gave her I final kiss good night
>>
File: 1459411420811.jpg (72 KB, 873x655) Image search: [Google]
1459411420811.jpg
72 KB, 873x655
ITT: liars
>>
File: kek.jpg (5 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
5 KB, 260x194
>>80439052

>I say "missing favorite Cambridge spots"
>BerryLine only in Cambridge
>this fag says "Wait you work at BerryLine"
>this fag thinks BerryLine is two words
>mfw
>>
>>80427297
I graduate with a BS in CS next year. I probably won't got for a MS. Most people have told me to focus on a job first.
>>
File: image.jpg (190 KB, 600x1068) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190 KB, 600x1068
Does a Bachelors in CS from Carnagie Mellon and a Masters of Finance from WashU count? I'm a DoD software engineer these days, on top of working on a startup.
>>
I'm attending Harvard, if that counts for anything.
Probably will do something financal
>>
>>80439140
really good you your helpin Hill get in there berry O, but makes sure to watch what dates you campaign with her, that lil FBI announcement and you and her rally where just too darn close
>>
>>80427297
B.S physics&engineering here. Stonybrook.
Headed to either MIT or CalTech next to do graduates in both. 3.9 GPA and shitload of scholarships too.

Really hoping for MIT though.
>>
I'm a tranny getting a master's degree in business at Columbia university.
hate me all you want pol
I will always be richer
>>
>>80438980
I've done some nanotech. Its pretty fun but a lot of what you learn in classes is kinda meh theory and math.

The real fun comes from lab work.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>27 years old
>White male
>Texas
>Doctoral degree
>Work for one of the largest healthcare providers in the world.
>still finds time to post retarded frogs on the Internet
>>
>>80439275
fuck off pleb scum.
>>
>>80427297
I'm a PhD student at my state university... so yeah, a few.
>>
I'm about to start a Masters in International Relations at Oxford, excited yet terrified at the same time. Got a degree in History and Eurasian Studies before that.
>>
I've got a Masters of Research in Information technology and am working on my doctorate and doing research for my University / CSIRO.

As far as prestige is concerned >Australia >Prestige.
>>
I'm Econ at one of duke/Vanderbilt/johns Hopkins/northwestern.

Heading to Wall Street so I'll probably do an MBA at an M7 after about 4 years working.
>>
>>80440124
That is a RARE Pepe. Can I save this?
>>
>>80427297
PhD candidate in CS at a top 10 university in the US. I have a terrible case of impostor syndrome though as most of my colleagues are head and shoulders better than me from my perspective, been seriously considering stopping after my masters and just getting a job somewhere since the pay isn't really that different.
>>
>>80440724
It's all yours, friend :)
>>
Undergrad in biological chemistry, currently working on masters in "biotechnology", which is basically just a catchall for human medical research.
>>
File: 23423452.png (130 KB, 342x189) Image search: [Google]
23423452.png
130 KB, 342x189
>>80439897
>implying we even care
>>
>>80435190
>>80436621

That is not a flaw unique to autodidacts. The world expert you're talking about can fully communicate his expertise to at most a few dozen other researchers, many of whom are his friends, most of whom attended the same institutions and learned from the same experts of yesteryear. Once a bad idea has established itself in a subfield, it is nearly impossible to exorcise; as Planck said, science proceeds one funeral at a time.

Moreover, you have an incredibly naive outlook on what a PhD entails. I've tried to use results from PhD theses for work (machine learning and applied mathematics), from """prestigious""" schools, and I'm fairly certain that I've uncovered blatant fraud several times. I've encountered professors who received Ivy PhDs out of pity, for having spent "enough time" struggling with easy problems far beyond their intellectual pay grade; I've encountered professors that make embarrassingly wrong statements in classes they were supposed to be teaching, and which nominally formed the basis of their field of """expertise""". And this doesn't even count all the people who just want to teach and convince their advisors to let them do the bare minimum to receive their union card...

>I can clearly see that contemporary education cannot produce a theoretical physicist capable of passing Landau’s theoretical minimum. The departure of a large group of talented theoretical physicists to mathematics will hardly be compensated by anyone. In mathematics itself, education provides much less knowledge than 30 years ago. The experts coming from the best universities of the West are narrowly specialized and know mathematics and theoretical physics haphazardly and much less than in the past. They have no chance of becoming great scientists such as Kolmogorov, Landau, Feynman, and others... When there is no longer a sufficient number of competent people, no amount of money will help.

http://www.mi.ras.ru/~snovikov/cris_en.pdf
>>
>>80439526
Saved the image
>>
>>80427297
There are the odd lawfags who hold JDs that post here.
>>
>>80429760
Go blue- graduated UM 2013
and law school 2016
>>
>>80427297

Masters Nutrition here.

Went to Culinary School before medical school.

Got married, had some kids, plan to finish my PHD when my youngest is in Kindergarten.

MAGA
>>
>>80427297

Chemistry B.S. from Yale, working towards my D.D.S. No proof for you though. I posted enough about myself when the Yale protests last fall were going on.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1334x750
> Apply for archeology bachelor program, 3 years long
> Drop out almost instantly
> Apply for politicial science bachelor program, 3 years long
> Drop out almost instantly

Starting bachelor program to become a historian this fall, but I would be surprised if I even last one year.
Fuck me university studies are boring, university Literature is so fucking boring its mindnumbing. I think you must be quite intelligent to actually appreciate those disgusting books. And the majority of our Literature is in english

JUST
>>
>>80427297
I'm currently in my last year of medical school
>>
>>80440912
No one cares about you.
>>
>>80427297
Going to start a civil engineering degree in Cal Poly SLO. Feminism and cis white male privilege was shoved into my face at my registration though. Made me feel pretty depressed.
>>
>>80436332
This and this.
>>
>>80441136

>Yale

This neighborhood is going to shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 582x297) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 582x297
>>80427297
I go to Columbia. Any other Columbia bros here?
>>
>>80440986
>http://www.mi.ras.ru/~snovikov/cris_en.pdf

I've seldom come across someone on /pol/ well-versed in a scientific discipline; nor have I ever encountered a STEM graduate student in real life that, in any way, espoused the type of views you find on /pol/.

What are you doing here? How fall down the rabbit-hole have you gone as far as the redpill goes? Are you moderately conservative? A traditionalist? Or even a full-out authoritarian /pol/ster?
>>
File: ramanujan.jpg (87 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
ramanujan.jpg
87 KB, 750x500
math master's
>>
>>80437966
Nope. And it's funny because here if you are older than 25 it's easier to enter in the uni.
>>
>>80441829
Did you see mattress girl?
>>
>>80439177
Sad but thinking too much about it is not going to help you. Try to find something you like and just do it.
>>
Good but irrelevant school from Turkey, m.a. in KCL, will do PhD in an Ivy School this Fall. I don't mention it unless my degree is relevant to the discussion (even then the subject of research is far more relevant than the institution anyways). Plus its just a way of humblebrag. I have no intention to be "liked" or "feel superior" to the /pol/ posters but I noticed an increased amount of aggressiveness and roachposting If I mention my credentials.
>anyone went to columbia? how's the atmosphere / dorms etc
>reeeeeee turkroach get out get out
etc
>>
I have a doctorate from a fairly prestigious school. I don't consider myself smart or well educated though.
>>
>>80430841
>I'm about to start a 6 figure job at a start up. Feels good man.
Watch Silicon Valley man. You ain't making no 6 figures.
>>
>>80427297

Studied at a SG uni, going to do corp finance at a boutique firm

The very fact that you're here means you're definitely pretty smart, degree or not

4chan is where smart people come to act stupid and sometimes engage in good discussion

Reddit is where stupid people go to act smart
>>
File: IMG_20160709_231811215.jpg (919 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160709_231811215.jpg
919 KB, 1456x2592
>>80436651
History, gin
>>
>>80442617
Thumbnail made me think that was a dick.
>>
>>80427297

I was educated at Eton in 1980-1986. I currently hold a position of Parliament. Conservative.
>>
Got a high school diploma and currently make 0 dollars a year.does that count
>>
>>80427297

Two masters from a top tier school famalam
>>
I have a BSc., MSc., and will be defending my PhD. within 6 months. I study mycology.
>>
Doctorate here yo
>>
>>80442695
I wish
>>
File: 1419194686334.gif (212 KB, 425x272) Image search: [Google]
1419194686334.gif
212 KB, 425x272
>>80442768
this
>>
>>80442718
>I currently hold a position of Parliament
how often do you go to high power pedo parties? C'mon anon don't bullshit us
>>
>>80442718

Jacob, I know it's you.
>>
>>80427297
Masters degree from an Ivy.
~200k salary.

so, yes. still voting trump.
>>
>>80442933

I hear there are quite a few held in Montreal.
>>
High school diploma. Eat it basement fags I live upstairs
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 601x590) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 601x590
>>80437786
Do you post on b@b?
>>
>>80440986
It was a different time back then, where most of the old guard of physicists and professors wanted all their students to be polymaths and well versed in most other subfields. But as time progressed its just not entirely necessary anymore because of all the specialization and narrow fields of physics/engineering.

Personally I have a genuine interest in all the fields but due to needing to know certain material I just dont bother with others. If I'm doing nanotechnology research, I dont really need to know cosmology, and vice-versa.

Plus having done actual lab research, a lot of the times whoever in your team is specialized for certain things will brief you on what you need to know to get your part done, if its material you didn't previously do.
>>
>>80442718
british union of fascists when?
>>
>>80437786
>>80437786
UMass Dartmouth is shit
>>
>>80443064

He wasn't there at my attending, although I met him at Trinity College. Very clever man, great sense of humour.
>>
>>80442202
Everyone hates her here
>>
>>80427297
I went to an academically selective high school (grammar school in britbong terms), now go to a top twenty (global) uni doing a bachelor of commerce majoring in finance and a bachelor of law in a double-degree programme.
>>
Had the opportunity to go to an Ivy school. Didn't do it because I have no money and only feel alive anymore when I'm doing something dangerous.

Currently work as a firefighter. Spend my days reading literature/history, writing books I'll never finish and that no one will read.

Family thinks I'm a failure since I never got a diploma. Truly believe I'll never be as smart as any of you no matter how much time I spend in the books.
>>
I have quite a bit of high level certifications in infrastructure and networking

dropped out of school cuz it was an old hebrew curriculum that didn't teach anything practical
>>
>>80427700

So basically you're just another college kid. That's not what OP asked for.
>>
>>80443188
of course.
>>80443327
can you read or are you just a bad troll?
>>
>>80443188
how do you know about b@b?
was one of the top posters before my account was/all my postings were deleted for being "transphobic".
>>
>>80428113

Why would Amazon Prime help you
>>
>>80443626
People with undergrad degrees are definitely not necessarily smarter than those without them. With more and more students enrolling and less jobs, mediocre people are even finishing with MSc. degrees.

I won't say you didn't miss out by not going to school, but too many people go to university simply because it is considered "high school 2.0" - i.e.: people are often expected to go and don't necessarily enroll because they are passionate about their major or have a game plan.

You can always go to school later on. If you have a passion and are more mature you will do well.

But if you enjoy being a firefighter and pursue intellectual interests and education in your spare time, what's the problem?
>>
>>80440535
ANU and UMelb are prestigious
>>
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 1024x1365
>>80443955
I go to Columbia lol, do you still post? Global has been pretty fun red pilling lately
>>
File: 1361058176847.png (216 KB, 942x870) Image search: [Google]
1361058176847.png
216 KB, 942x870
>>80427297
28. I'm a PhD candidate in a physics program. Qualifying exams are in a month.

I'm not at what most people would consider a "prestigious" university (it does have one of the best programs for what I was interested in though), but when I was applying for grad schools I was actually accepted at an Ivy League school - Dartmouth.

I turned them down for three main reasons:
1) They're too isolated. Nearest town is 20 minutes, nearest major airport was a three hours.
2) Cost of living is absurd.
3) The entire program was full of pretentious, upper class, elitist NEasters.

#3 was the main reason I decided not to accept the offer. Everyone had a stick up their butt and a chip on their shoulder. I remember the first morning the group met to tour the campus. We met at a little cafe for breakfast with the chair of the department and we did a thing were we went around the table and talked a bit about how we'd ended up there. Everyone proceeded to rattle off how they'd been valedictorian at the prestigious such-and-such academy and won the so-and-so award for excellence and how they'd dreamed of studying physics ever since they were a small child and yadda yadda yadda all that nonsense.

I'm a simple guy, I live a simple life. I didn't give these folks my life's story or anything, but I made it clear that my family were farmers, not stock brokers, that I was the first person in my family to go to college, and that I didn't dream of being a physicist since childhood, but rather ended up in physics because I turned out to be rubbish at AgSci.

Man you could have heard a pin drop at that table. Most of our group refused to even make eye contact with me the rest of the trip and even the professors stopped acknowledging me when I asked questions and stuff. The moment I exposed myself as not being one of them, I was persona non grata.

Went to a smaller school with better research and decent folks. Definitely made the right decision.
>>
>>80443626

>Family thinks I'm a failure

You're a firefighter. You have a very dangerous job and most likely save lives on a regular (if not, weekly) basis. You must address your family as a man and let them know the value of you and your work.

Do not think you aren't as intelligent as others. You have the capacity to learn as much as anyone else, you just haven't had your face inside of an Encyclopedia for half of your known life.

Intelligence isn't the same as recycling the ideas placed into your head by others or by their works. Intelligence is the ability to think critically, to question, to answer and to act.
>>
>>80444193
nice! the creator of the site went to columbia, if you didn't already know that.

yeah i still post although not as often-- things have changed since yik yak came around. it also sucks that i was right up there with the top posters and then lost all my posts. that site was like my diary for two plus years.
>>
>>80444197
you sound like a humble guy
>>
>>80427297
Bs in economics, going to a tier 1 law school... I guess you could say I'm
Pretty fucking educated.
>>
>>80428560

If your IQ was 143 then surely you would have known OP didn't want to hear from high school grads
>>
Got my Bachelor's and Masters.

Got into medical school but decided to take a year off and deferred enrollment.

I'm traveling and working for a year. I want to do some walking trails like Reese Witherspoon did in "Wild".

Broke as fuck though.
>>
File: 70KyNxp.jpg (655 KB, 1935x2591) Image search: [Google]
70KyNxp.jpg
655 KB, 1935x2591
>>80427297
Top 5 university here OP

I'd say my time in higher institutions were the least productive years of my life education wise.
>>
>>80428113
Can't get a job with only the knowledge i gotta get the actually degree
>>
>>80428766

He was asking for highly educated, not community college grads.
>>
>>80444404
Yeah I know about Jae. He should stop being a fag and make it into an imageboard ffs. It's getting more and more conservative though, on Columbia red panel comics are getting posted more and more now, and Harvard, Columbia, and Dartmouth anons keep bashing liberals pretty hard on Global
>>
File: 1465166782548.png (331 KB, 841x798) Image search: [Google]
1465166782548.png
331 KB, 841x798
We're all little girls here, everyone in this thread is lying.
>>
File: harvard rip.jpg (39 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
harvard rip.jpg
39 KB, 800x500
>>80427297
I'm starting at Harvard Law School in the fall

pic related: they changed the logo cause its racist
>>
>>80444618
Oh ya, I am trained as a mathematician.

Have 30+ graduate hours in each of biology, chemistry and physics in addition to the math though.
>>
>>80429156

>(((Nurse practitioner. NYU.)))
>>
>>80429193

This. Learn to do something.
>>
>>80444197
Jesus Christ...they still do that shit when you're applying for grad school? Fucking hell I was never interested in ivy's for science since they all fucking suck in comparison to MIT and Caltech, even Berkeley at times. But wow. That sucks ass man.

t. Nigger headin to grad school...
>>
>>80444879
What actual uni anon?
>>
>>80443845
I'm from Massachusetts and teach at Harvard, dumbass faggot. I'm teasing you like the whore your Norman Wagner father paid for.
>>
Just my pride I guess. I might start going for a degree next year, I just feel like I've fallen behind everyone
>>
>>80444197
It's unfortunate that you felt that way. I visited the admitted student weekends for most of the top-14 law schools and all though there were a few "here is my life story" braggart types, most people were chill (although very lame).
>>
>>80429433

You're like the Australian doctor from Dr. House, it sounds like. Second rate. I'd shit a brick if you were my doctor.
>>
>>80428560
Did you ask him to put yu threw college after that?

Also what do you do? 65 isnt horrible.
>>
>>80445022
What do you teach? What do you think about /pol/?
>>
>>80445020
Don't you have any important questions?
>>
>>80436401
What is your department?
>>
>>80445025

Meant for

>>80444039
>>
>>80429760

Well why don't you then? It sounds like you have a great degree with an immediately obvious direct application but you're not making the most of it. Go work for an investment bank or real estate developer. Ask your professor where you should look. That's a great degree, lol what are you thinking that it doesn't mean squat

Either that or run for alderman in Detroit, or whatever they have there. That's one of those things where you just need to put your shoulder to the wheel, but a lot of college grads think, well if I'm filling out applications all day and emailing people then I'm doing my part as far as finding a job! No you need to go out and do something and hit the pavement.
>>
File: image.jpg (366 KB, 1356x896) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
366 KB, 1356x896
>>80445184
Was honestly just curious if you go to Columbia or not, because I go there
>>
>>80436401
How do you feel about the Reclaim HLS movement and the occupation of Wasserstein Hall (belinda hall lol) along with the other social justice movements going on at the law school?
>>
>>80445446
I'm not in school anymore.

Has being around these people taught you anything?
>>
>>80430056

Look at it this way: you reached your maximum earning power very early in life.
>>
File: 1438667919340.jpg (49 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1438667919340.jpg
49 KB, 650x650
>>80427297
I'm currently going for my master's in MIS/Business analysis at Northwestern starting in the fall.

I've got a BBA from Uppsala University, and a really bullshitty information science degree from Columbia I got in an exchange program. I also went to Ca' Foscari for about a year before transferring to Uppsala.

>tfw you're a frothing nationalist in a political argument where everything that is conservative is equated with ignorance

Please help.
>>
>>80445025
How old are you/how long have you been a firefighter? Do you like your job?

University is good but if your life plan doesn't involve that piece of paper I wouldn't be too focused on getting it. I would never have said this a few years ago, but I've TA'd too many moron students and seen the education system for what it is - a degree factory for profit.

What I really mean is go for the right reasons, because it is an investment in time, effort, and money.
>>
>>80445666
It's taught me how out of touch many people in academia are in real world, especially considering I come from working class background with father working as technician and factory worker. But science departments are pretty good, which is why I stay. What did you study?
>>
>>80430651

>17k in savings, 8k in stocks.

That's nothing to brag about senpai. That's enough combined to buy a Chevy truck, and not one of the nicest ones either.

Have you done anything useful for society in life?
>>
>>80430670

Maybe it was because Australians think calling everybody a cunt is okay
>>
>>80435190
You're probably right and Shakespeare wrote his own stuff. Have no dog in that fight, but why is everything that doesn't fit the major narrative a conspiracy theory? Where is the conspiracy? You're supposedly an intellectual and you don't even seem to know what the definition of a conspiracy is. You can argue it's just semantics, but words have meaning and you above all should know that.
>>
>>80427297
Uni dropout
>>
>>80427297
Got a PhD from one of the top school in the US, it took longer than expected, but I got an job starting at $200k.
>>
>>80430841

Good for you
>>
>>80436401
Is it true Harvard did away with academic dismissal for undergrads? If so, how do you think it has impacted the quality of students?
>>
>>80445934
Math officially, but everything really.

What do you mean out of touch?

What do you think that they don't see?
>>
>>80446066
mathematics btw.
>>
>>80427297
Double major in economics and information systems from a university with a 35% acceptance rate.
>>
File: UniBonn.jpg (625 KB, 1020x680) Image search: [Google]
UniBonn.jpg
625 KB, 1020x680
>>80427297

Bacheleor in Social Sciene, currently studying law (6,5 years is the norm duration of study to become a accredited lawyer in Germany).

The social science stuff I added as a correspondence course because its easy bullshit so I have one degree more lol

studying here

>pic related
>>
>>80433210

Finally a poster that is impressive
>>
I'm in my late 20s and I'm about halfway done with a degree that I work on in my spare time. I've spent a lot of time around PhD students over the last six months and most of them assumed I was a multiple degree holder at first because I speak better than all of them and I know nearly as much about some of their specializations as they do. Truth is I just enjoy reading and learning things because I hate being out of my depth in any situation.
>>
File: UniversityOfInternet.png (993 KB, 1024x608) Image search: [Google]
UniversityOfInternet.png
993 KB, 1024x608
>>80427297
I dropped out of the 9th grade. In the past ten years I've taken down some of the most influential people in American politics and it's pundit class.

I've taught myself how to day trade better than any goldman sachs kike. Learned 2,000 years of in-depth detailed world history. Read tens of thousands of articles, essays, books, biography's and war stories. Thousands of hours of instructional videos watched.

I could bury entire nations states, companies and politicians right here from this fucking keyboard I'm typing on.

Take your outdated medieval University and shove it straight up your fucking ass faggot.

TRUMP 2016
>>
File: Outer Space BTFO.jpg (29 KB, 570x238) Image search: [Google]
Outer Space BTFO.jpg
29 KB, 570x238
>>80427297
PhD in Cosmology
I won the Obama Medal in 2009
Super smart.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.