[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Off the Grid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 11
Going into the Navy real soon. How much money do I need to save to live off the grid when I get back? Also anyone else here wanting/already in hiding? In the states or otherwise?
>>
>>79803991
You can live off the grid with a rucksack and a tent for under $200. Your expenses all depend on how comfortable you want to be. Do you own land? A house? Do you have a generator? Do you know how to build/wire/farm shit, or will you have to get outside help?
>>
>>79805011
I've always wanted to do it and I figure the best way would be after 6 years of service. Preferably, I'd just want a cabin somewhere secluded that's a good deal away from the nearest town. Wanna hunt, fish, and read. Preferably Alaska, but I'm good with wherever the cost of land is cheapest.
>>
>>79805444
So you're ging to have to save enough for land. Building a cabin by yourself would be a bitch and a half, but I imagine it's doable. Then you'll need some way of generating power (unless you don't want refrigerated food or electric lighting), so some combo of solar, wind, and ideally a woodgas setup so you can run an actual generator. You'll need to drill for a well, unless you have a source of fresh water nearby (and don't mind walking for miles with a jug of water on your head like an African). You'll need all the furniture and supplies and shit to fill your cabin; wood stove, pots/pans, bed, table/chair, etc.

As for actual price, it's dependent on so many factors that it's impossible to say. 50k? 100k?
>>
Unless you own land you pretty much have to move to a country with freedom to roam laws, where it's legal to live on other people's land
>>
Also, consider cell reception as a factor. It'll be the only way to contact the outside world if something happens to you. And that includes internet as well; you won't be able to shitpost on /pol/ if you have no reception. Neither will you have access to the largest information database in human history, which is pretty fucking handy for finding immediate and plentiful solutions to virtually any problem you might encounter on your homestead.
>>
>>79806300
Building a cabin is actually not as hard as one might think.
t. someone who has built a cabin
>>
>>79806998
You embarrass me. Go away
>>
>>79807075
Are you a carpenter? If not, it might seem like a daunting task, but it really isn't. Took me a couple of weeks with a friend's help.
>>
>>79803991
>live off the grid
if you can get used to eating stewed pine cones and salted rabbit meat, "you'll be OK"
>>
File: 1411179661061.png (77 KB, 268x284) Image search: [Google]
1411179661061.png
77 KB, 268x284
>internet
>In hiding
>>
>>79807764
How nice of your friend to let you stay at his house while you finished up your shed.
>>
>>79808063
Kek.

>>79807764
Was it a regular wood-framed cabin, or a full-on log cabin from trees you cut down?
>>
File: 1464841454552.jpg (227 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1464841454552.jpg
227 KB, 720x720
>>79803991

You have to change your entire perspective Mr. op- there is no such thing as going off the grid anymore- you need to simply just rise above it. It is that simple, always tell the truth and do the right thing no matter what the consequence- help anybody in need anytime all the time everytime, negativity is memetic and magnetic, most people don't understand this because they can see no further than beyond themselves, no matter how bad things might seem keep going, learn by doing and teach by showing- once you apply these practices to your everyday life you will understand very quickly how this world really works, once you stop worrying about yourself and start living for everybody else enjoy the fucking view-
>>
>>79803991
>Live off the grid

You know the state is still going to charge you a property tax, and if theres a school within X number of miles, you'll also get school levies.

It's impossible to legally live off the grid unless you're rich.
>>
>>79806749
>It'll be the only way to contact the outside world if something happens to you. And that includes internet as well; you won't be able to shitpost on /pol/ if you have no reception

Horseshit.

I live innawoods. There was no internet service near here (well, CenturyLink DSL in the town 8 miles away @ 768kbps down), so I fucking built it.

Now I can shitpost and have extra income from selling service to other people in the area. It's not city speeds, but 20Mbps is good enough for everything I need to do.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 1280x720
>>79808392
FUCK OFF LEIGH
>>
>>79808774
Do you sell internet service?
>>
File: index.jpg (434 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
434 KB, 1366x768
>>79808392
Put down the bong and get out of here, hippie. This thread is about men and the wild.

>>79808774
How? Did you raise some poles and run your own lines into town, or what? I'm seriously interested, since I'm going to eventually buy an acreage out of the city and the only internet options there are outrageously expensive mobile data, or garbage speed and latency satellite. I want to live in the country, but it's current year so I want my goddamn internet as well.
>>
>>79808526
This.
>>
File: sa.jpg (16 KB, 466x63) Image search: [Google]
sa.jpg
16 KB, 466x63
>>79808774
>>
>>79808774
Do you also make and take care of roads for other people?
>>
>>79809640
Fuck you and your fast internet, Europe. I pay $65/month for 25mbs up/5mbs down (purely internet, no tv or any bullshit), and that's generally as good as it gets for that price point in the entire fucking province.
>>
File: DSCN7786.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7786.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>79805444
>Preferably Alaska,
We're full.
>>
>>79809909
Well... Being at work I got this speed. At my place I have 20/2 for roughly $70/month. I could probably get 30/10 or something, but that's becoming expesive.
>>
>>79809968
Doesn't Alaska pay you just for living in all the empty land they have?
>>
File: amish31.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1416) Image search: [Google]
amish31.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1416
My biggest dream is to live innawoods just outside of an amish community who accepts me as one of their own and lets me help out with labor and diddle their daughters. I'm going to need salt and pepper and internet though so I'm going to need money. How do I earn money?
>>
>>79808063
Epic meme, sir. Mind if I share it on facebook? :^)
>>79808201
Wood-framed.
A log cabin would have taken much longer, even though we technically had enough wood from felling (if that's the right word)
>>
>>79809399
Yep.

>>79809471
>How? Did you raise some poles and run your own lines into town, or what?

Nope. Long range WiFi with focused antennas. Almost 60 miles in 3 hops to fiber.

>>79809851
>Do you also make and take care of roads for other people?

Nope. My neighbor a few miles to the south does that.
>>
>>79808526

This 100%. I don't know of any place in the US where you can completely (legally) avoid property tax.
>>
>>79810232
Not with the price of oil sitting at -$80/ton
>>
>>79810597

Are you independently wealthy, or do you make enough from being an ISP + other income sources to pay for manufactured goods, car maintenance, property tax, etc?
>>
>>79810232
They WERE sharing oil revenue among Alaskans, which is not the same as paying people to live on empty land.
>>
>>79811164
Selling internet service brings in about $4k a month after costs right now.
I do graphic design projects for ad agencies and computer support for locals, but since the internet business has been getting better (currently have a list of 40+ people who want to buy service) I may drop the design shit next year and focus on ISP and support.
>>
File: 1453592977461.jpg (59 KB, 1280x824) Image search: [Google]
1453592977461.jpg
59 KB, 1280x824
Who else secretly lives in grandpa's summer house? You can't imagine how comfy I am
>>
>>79803991
I though about the possibility of doing it. I couldn't work around the health problems, off the grid means no insurance or enough money to pay for expensive medicine or surgery. Modern society really made us helpless...
>>
>>79803991
OP, there are many, many, many survivalist communities online to help you get started. 4chan is not where you want to look and 6 years of service in the Navy is not going to teach you what you need to know to survive in the wilderness. Not even 6 years in the Army or Marines will do that because the military moved away from field exercises.
>>
>>79811598
What was the initial investment for your internet service and how long until you got ROI? Can anyone do what you did?
>>
>>79811772
I wasn't expecting the Navy to teach me jack about survival (but if push comes to shove I can use the firefighting training as a way to get into forestry), but just as a good financial base to start my life and just to see as much of the world as I can before I try and start a life. What are some good sites you recommend.
>>
btw this guy's thread id name is :
>cuckme

>>79804477
>>
>>79811664
That picture is dreamy.
>>
>>79812139
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=survivalist+forum
>>
>>79812234
wew lad
>>
>>79811878
>What was the initial investment
Around $8-10,000 out of pocket when I started 10 years ago, followed by a $20,000 investment from a gas company that heard about what I was building from a friend who worked for them, and wanted 3 of their sites online ASAP. Equipment was a lot more expensive and a lot less refined then.

>Can anyone do what you did?
Sure, if they're capable of learning without being spoonfed.
You can't just sign up for a college class.
All the information you could ever need is available online for free, though.
So far I've learned DC electrical, plumbing, RF theory, basic network admin skills, and spent thousands of hours finding the right equipment and learning everything I can about it.
Also figured out a lot of things the old fashioned way: by fucking up and fixing it.
>>
>>79812809
>and spent thousands of hours finding the right equipment and learning everything I can about it.
As a citizen of the world when you master something it's your duty to compile everything that you've learned and share it with the rest so that others don't have to go through the same trouble as you.
>>
Why would I need to learn carpentry when I can just hire Sven to build my cabin innawoods
>>
>>79813463
It's all technology based. That means it changes constantly. By the time I wrote a book and put it online it would be outdated. As far as electrical, plumbing, and RF theory, people far more knowledgeable than I have already written books on those subjects.

This is one of those things you have to do to to figure out how to do it.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 400x386
>>79813463
you call your wife it?
>>
>>79814176
Underrated kek my man
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.