[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teen girl who texted friend to commit suicide must stand trial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
>Massachusetts' top court ruled Friday that a teenager may stand trial on involuntary manslaughter charges in connection to text messages she sent urging her friend to commit suicide.

>In a unanimous ruling, the Supreme Judicial Court said a local grand jury had enough probable cause to indict Michelle Carter in connection to the 2014 suicide of Conrad Roy, who was found dead about 50 miles south of Boston in a Fairhaven parking lot. Carter was 17 at the time of Roy's suicide, and she is accused of sending Roy several texts, including one saying "get back in" the day the 18-year-old teen took his own life via carbon monoxide fumes inside his truck.

>The defendant's lawyers maintained that her texts were constitutionally protected speech under the First Amendment. The court, however, did not create a bright line rule on where free speech ends and criminality begins. Instead, the court ruled that a physical act of violence is not necessary to sustain involuntary manslaughter charges and that each case is "entirely fact specific."

>"We have never required in the return of an indictment for involuntary manslaughter that a defendant commit a physical act in perpetrating a victim’s death,” the court ruled. "We also never have had occasion to consider such an indictment against a defendant on the basis of words alone."

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/07/teen-girl-who-texted-friend-to-commit-suicide-must-stand-trial/
>>
>>79491412

Pretty odd case, from what I remember they were dating and on good terms.

So was she just tired of him saying he wanted to commit suicide and was calling his bluff? Did she not believe he was really in the garage with the car running? What was her excuse/explanation?
>>
>>79491412
This case always makes me laugh. What a massive faggot one must be to off themselves because some cunt with a 5head tells you to.
>>
>>79493406
>Whats her explanation

She doesn't need one because no crime was committed.
>>
>>79493750

Just read some articles about it.

She told him to commit suicide, continued to encourage him and then when she knew he was doing the act, lied to friends and family saying she didn't know where he was.

Suicide is considered a crime. She knowingly encouraged and aided a crime. Worse she even researched the ways in which he could do it, and advised him on how to suffocate with a car exhaust.

Whether or not she's found guilty is probably 50/50 but she clearly went beyond freedom of speech encouraging a criminal act assisting suicide and misleading the family/police when he was missing.
>>
I tell friends and other people to off themselves just about every fucking day.

It looks like I might be a serial killer now.
>>
>>79493750
Stupid faggot.. whatever you 12?... don't answer that you stupid fuck, you must be.

This would not be considered "assisted suicide" under Federal law. And, in isolation, telling someone "Go kill yourself" will almost certainly not be enough to support either a civil or a criminal case against a person, even if the other person does commit suicide.
>>
>>79491412

Kill yourself
>>
>>79494118
Seems more like obstruction of justice. There was nothing involuntary about her convincing him to kill himself.
>>
>>79494584
She didn't just tell him to kill himself.
She continuously urged him to do that, which still isn't a crime but she knew when and where he was killing himself and she did not attempt to stop him and did not tell anyone.

I don't know about America but in civilised countries not saving a life when you have a chance is a serious crime. People who refuse to offer first aid get jailed. Even at war, if you wound an enemy soldier, you have to get him to a medic. Killing him would be a war crime, even if he wants to kill you, as long as he poses no threat.

Not notifying the authorities about a suicide attempt is not okay
>>
File: 1453091140211.jpg (257 KB, 437x676) Image search: [Google]
1453091140211.jpg
257 KB, 437x676
>that bongoloid five head
>>
>>79494118

If she didn't give him instructions on how to kill himself no crime was committed
>>
>>79497132
Is giving instructions even illegal? I wouldn't think so.

The only thing I could see here being questionable is that she lied to people where he is while she knew he was killing himself. But actually telling him to kill himself and how to do it, I'm not sure that's actually a crime.
>>
>>79496288
looks pretty hot tee bh familiar
>>
>>79496288
Large forehead = high IQ

I'm assuming yours is small? Lol.jpg
>>
>>79495706
Lol wtf your country is gay af, "if you kill an enemy soldier it's a war crime" that's obviously why your country isn't a world power
>>
The prosecutor deliberately released texts to make her seem like a stone cold bitch. It's not that simple. The further you go back, it gets muddier. The guy at one point in time asked her to kill herself with him and stuff like that.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.