[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book based and "politically incorrect" by today's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 24
Is this book based and "politically incorrect" by today's standards?

Easily one of my favourites either way
>>
>>79467215
Juntas are a stable and sensible form of government in a hostile environment.
If space is full of skinnies and bugs, we'll go full Starship Troopers within a decade of discovering that the universe needs a good dicking.
>>
File: spurdoshiptroopers.jpg (133 KB, 809x529) Image search: [Google]
spurdoshiptroopers.jpg
133 KB, 809x529
>>79467215
I’d say it’s a pretty based science fiction read and one of the finest science fiction books produced in the last 60 years. Politically Heinlein was all over the place in the book and it can’t really be taken as his ideologies or beliefs put into a story, rather he built the ideology for the story.
>>
>>79467525

We've got a planet full of shitskins and nogs, when are we going full Starship Trooper?

> I'm from Europe and I say kill them all
>>
>>79467525
>discovering that the universe needs a good dicking.
It already does, we just can't reach enough planets for it to matter yet
>>
>>79467215
I love this book. Wish we had a society as epic.
>>
>>79467775
Wouldn't "Stranger in a Strange Land" be a better look into Heinlein's thoughts?
>>
>>79468209
Probably. Either way, the guy was a goddamn genius.
>>
>>79467525
I'm willing to bet that given today's liberals some BLM shit would appear (bug lives matter)

I haven't read the book because I can't find it at any store, I'll probably order it online. I've seen the first movie and I have a question for those who've read the book, it's a military dictatorship with a fanatical collectivisk by a large part of the population incited by the government, right?
>>
File: 2thumbsup.jpg (58 KB, 559x600) Image search: [Google]
2thumbsup.jpg
58 KB, 559x600
>>79467215
Yes, but it's breddy gud.
>>
>>79468612
"Click click where da white beetles at"
>>
In the book, most citizens did their service building infrastructure or other essential civil services. The military is a tiny part of the citizenry.

No one actively in the military is a citizen. They can leave the military any time.

The only position of the government that requires a military veteran, is the head of state/government, the Sky Marshal.

Terran Federation actively avoided conflicts. Though they didn't fuck around when someone started shit with them.

They had weapons that could destroy planets. Yet they didn't use them in the book because the Bugs were holding Terran Federation residents and citizens hostage. The government didn't want to sacrifice the hostages so quickly.

Federation was a social welfare state, but didn't demonize the wealthy.

Parents were punished when their minor children did something wrong.

Instead of fines or imprisonment. minor violations resulted in getting caned in public.

Other than the vote and ability to hold public office. There was little difference between the rights of civilians and citizens.

Federation didn't control the entire planet earth or all human settled worlds. Even though they were powerful enough to conquer these other states, easily.

you can not get a better government and nation than the Terran Federation.
>>
>>79468884
Kek
"We wuz bugs once too, we need to be tolerant"
>>
>>79469203
Pro government, anti communist.

I preferred the movie. A big FU to Heinlin, and we instead get what a modern fascist state looks like.

Bugs, bombs, and spaceships, that was cool too.
>>
File: siege-paper-front1.jpg (48 KB, 500x762) Image search: [Google]
siege-paper-front1.jpg
48 KB, 500x762
Read SIEGE by james mason.
>>
>>79469203
Agreed, actually sounds really good, in your opinion what's the closest political system to the Federation, in real life?
>>
>>79469468
The movie is one of Paul Verhoeven's best. Though it didn't start as a Starship Troopers movie. They got the rights to it after production started. Though it does end up as sort of campy parody on the book. I think Heinlein would have approved.
>>
>>79469468
I know books into movies tend to change but did this case change that much?

>>79469483
Will do
>>
>>79469650
What's the main plot of the book? Does it differ from the movie in that aspect?
>>
Buenos Aires was an inside job.
>>
desu The Forever War is better

YOUD BETTER NOT FUCK IT UP RIDLEY SCOTT
>>
>>79469919
Lol I got a bit of that feeling the second time I watched the movie

Pro tip: first time I saw it was before /pol/; second was after I've been here for a while
>>
>>79468612
Read it online, it's old enough to be posted

>https://7chan.org/lit/src/Starship_Troopers_-_Robert_Heinlein.pdf

You can thank me later, Anon.
>>
File: Augustus.jpg (492 KB, 1500x2250) Image search: [Google]
Augustus.jpg
492 KB, 1500x2250
>>79469561
The Roman Empire.
>>
>>79467215
Unfortunately it is politically incorrect now.

US Army just removed it from its required reading. Replaced with a pro-LGBT book.
>>
>>79470182
Tbh I'd like to have a physical copy and preferrably in Portuguese but I'm deffinitely saving that link in case I can't find it soon. Thx
>>
>>79469850
in the book it follows Rico through his military career and the war.

first at klendathu, then flash back from just before the war started and till you are back at klendathu. most of the time rico is talking about government, leadership, responsibility. he does a raid on skinny world. goes to officer academy. meets his father. who had given up his vast fortune to join the military, after the bug attack kills his wife. rico's dad said he wanted to be something more than just an economic force. Then Rico's first mission in command. which was boring at first and then goes horribly wrong. though rico manages to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. then at the end of the book he just says how the feds are winning big now and how the war will be over.

the girl pilot that he had the crush on shaves her head. to keep hair out of her face during zero G. rico only meets her once for a brief time during the war.

his best friend(the dougie howser guy) gets killed when the bugs attack a research base at jupiter.
>>
>>79470298
I really like the Roman Empire too, I can see the smiliarities, I was thinking of a recent political ideology though, the best I can think of is a modified fascist-like system, at least from what I can see on the movie.

I really need to read the book
>>
>>79469970
this
>>
>>79470322
pls be kidding
>>
>>79467215
not as good as moon is a harsh mistress
>>
>>79470516
There is nothing Fascist about the Roman Empire. Augustus and Julius were notorious Left-Wingers in their day, which is why it rose to power.

Technically, the protagonist is a Latin American and the Federation has serious Globalist overtones to it, like the Roman Empire. Hell. The "love interest" is a Woman-Strong stereotype as she becomes a pilot.

But unlike Globalism 1) Corps have no power 2) Political Correctness will get you fucking whipped. Just like the Roman Empire, which treated its Merchants brutally bad (Price Controls and high taxes.)
>>
>>79470516
fascism is such a poorly defined concept of governance.

hitler, mussonlin, pinochet, assad, saddam, franco, stalin. modern china, singapore, south korea until the 90s, early Taiwan, Kuomintang China.

they all fit in some way. though they wildly differ in government and economics.
>>
>>79467215

Not even one of his top 5 though. Still a good book.

The Puppet Masters was a tad better with this being an official distance future squeal
>>
>>79469970
Forever War is pretty good but there's official stories written in its universe that are fucking terrible.
>>
>>79469970
go to war
time dilation
meet girl, back to war
time dilation
everyone is gay now
time dilation
everyone is a gay clone now
time dilation
get sent by the gay clones to a colony world of nothing but time displaced war veterans. so there are some original hetero humans around. in case being a gay clone doesn't work out.
>>
>>79470617
I'm afraid as fuck that they are going to keep Chaning Tatum as Mandella

And that they are either going to
- axe the 'everyone is gay' future scenes
- make it pg13 so no gratuitous sex and bloody scenes
- cut out one or more battle scene / transition scene, like earth with the calorie credits or the relaxation planet with the giant shark monsters

Hadelman better be breathing down Scott's neck during production! I want a proper movie
>>
>>79470820
We can't define Fascism because of the PC police. Nobody wants to take the time and explain how Fascism operates different than Marxism, and also why Fascism works well and rises to power. (Even though it always fails in the long term. Always.) Worst of all, there isn't an English word to describe, "Oppressor who oppresses others to compensate for their own weakness."

So it's a crapshoot, even if it's clear as day.
>>
>>79470512
Cool, who's the biggest threat? The skinnies or the bugs? Who has the biggest military capability both in defense and offense out of those two?

>>79470817
I know, I wasn't referring to the Roman Empire as fascist but to the movie (in a way). I'm well aware of how the Roman Empire worked. I can see where you're coming from with those statements but there's no denying that there's a sort of roughness on how they deal with issues that most governments today would react by getting on all 4 and taking it

>>79470820
Yeah I agree which id why I used it to somehow fit the Federation in that category despite having my doubts about it
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (303 KB, 1965x1221) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
303 KB, 1965x1221
>>79471293
> I can see where you're coming from with those statements but there's no denying that there's a sort of roughness on how they deal with issues that most governments today would react by getting on all 4 and taking it

Agreed. They fucking literally crucified people. About the same level of brutality as ISIS. So I see where you are 100%.
>>
>>79471293
Bugs are the big threat. Also the bugs in the book aren't on the level of animals, they have technology.
>>
ASTEROIDS CAN'T CROSS GALAXIES

GOVERNMENT LIED, THOUSANDS DIED

BUENOS ARIES WAS AN INSIDE JOB
>>
>>79469970
>>79470617
>>79470889
Forever war was absolute shit

People only say it's good because (((everyone))) says it's good.
>>
>>79469970
Is he still doing that?
>>
>>79471180
Again lol, that was meant for the movie and thuse the Federation and the first impressions I got from it.
Are you being sarcastic?
I'm confused by your post in more ways than one

>>79471659
Makes sense, curious as to how their technology looks, I hope google shows up good results on that
>>
>>79469970
>YOUD BETTER NOT FUCK IT UP RIDLEY SCOTT
hahahaha

hahhaha

haha
>>
>>79471293
in the books the bugs have spaceships but they're crap compared to the Federation Navy. So they are never a threat.

The real problem was once the Bugs built a city on a world. It was difficult to get them out with out destroying the planet.

The skinnies said they were neutral. Though they were supporting the bugs on the side. Hence the punitive raid Rico did. Where he and his fellow MI nuke the crap out of a city and use flamethrowers on civilians. Feds were teaching the skinnies a lesson.

Federation wasn't really that fascist. They just limited civic franchise to those that had earned it. Anyone was allowed to try and earn it. If you had a blind cripple in a wheelchair. The federation had to find something for him to do to prove his worthiness.

The bugs are Communists in the book. They're specialized workers, soldiers, etc. No freedom.

meanwhile the federation is heinlein saying that Western Democracies suck and here is what I think is better.
>>
>>79471959
I wasn't addressing you in that post. I was stating that Fascism is a poorly defined concept, and will be for the next thirty years, even if it takes power in Europe again.
>>
>>79471870
The happening level for it is slightly higher than The Moon is a Harsh Mistress movie (which is on the 10,000,000 draft of the script by now)

Haldeman says that he is open to a movie version, Scott said he would do it, and Tatum was brought on board for playing Mandela

This was like 2 years ago
Development hell and all
>>
>>79472445
>The Moon is a Harsh Mistress movie
please god no.

No matter who does it, it's guaranteed to be botched.
>>
>>79472070
Kekked at teaching a lesson with nukes and flamers

I really like the sound of the Federation's political system and I take it than it's safe to consider that the way bugs are portrayed (whilst referring to communism) is a critic to communism, no?

Oh and are the bugs hive minded like in the movie? Would also make sense as a communist trait so to say.
I was right to assume that the Fed still is based upon a certain level of collectivism rather than individualism, right? Just not as much as the bugs.
How about the skinnies? How do those guys work?
>>
>>79472695
Which is why the keep redoing the script

It's one of those unfilmable things
>>
>>79472749
Rico and the others used this grenade on the skinnies. The grenade would say "i'm a grenade". Which would make the skinnies run out of the building and into Rico and his flame thrower.
>>
>>79470298
Empire or republic?
The empire was pretty decadent, relying on constant conquering and slavery to keep itself propped up
>>
>>79472991
Lol, seriously need to read the book.
Oh and they do use combined arms in the book right? Or still just spam infantry?
>>
>>79467215
I didn't think /pol/ would like this book since the main character is not white.
>>
>>79468398
And a filthy degernate.

What was with all the free love bullshit in sci fi
>>
>>79470712
Probably his best book. Should be required reading for /pol/
>>
>>79467215
>Easily one of my favourites either way
>>79468612
>I haven't read the book
what
>>
>>79473257
Republic and Empire are a great comparison to Terran Federation.

There were the Plebeians and Patricians. The Pats were aristocratic families. They were the ones that could vote and hold public office. They were the ones in the Senate and later Emperors. The Plebs were everyone else that was a roman citizen. Barely any power with in Rome. The only sure way to go from Pleb to Pat was to go into the military. Where if you did well. You became a General and got land, slaves, etc.
>>
>>79473390
They have tanks, planes, scout dog units, etc. It is just that Cap Troopers in power armor were the most powerful unit they had.
>>
>>79467215
Heinlein knew the plans of the elite. His sci-fi was the "Cliff's Notes" of the works of Carroll Quigley.
>>
File: Roman Empire.png (195 KB, 2111x1144) Image search: [Google]
Roman Empire.png
195 KB, 2111x1144
>>79473257
The Empire became decadent only after three hundred years of rule. That's what created the Crisis of the Third Century. The problem, however, is that it's hard to see an Empire across space-time because we judge an Empire at it's lowest rather than necessarily it's norm.

So for instance, nobody really knows that the most powerful Empire after the fall of Rome...was the Roman Empire. Space time distorts our understanding because we assume that after the Fall of Rome, it was Barbarians, when in reality, it was continuation of the ERE. History doesn't "slow down" during Pax Romania, it's just more stable.

It's like looking at Muhammad Ali, and thinking he must have been a terrible athlete because he had Parkinson's. Likewise, it depends on the era when talking about the Roman Empire, and even then it wasn't a straight decline.

Marcus Aurelies, the last good one before the shitshow, wrote a damn philosophy book that we still read today. So when I judge the Empire, I refer to it when it was healthy.
>>
>>79471449
Crucifixtion was for enemies of the state, not just something they rolled out for robbery or rape. Don't rebel against the government unless you are certain you will win, and if you don't win, don't get captured alive. Super simple stuff guys.
>>
>>79472070
I haven't read the book but it does sound like a better society. If people earned their "citizenship" they wouldn't be so quick to fuck up society.
>>
I haven't read the book, how is it politically incorrect?
>>
Seriously. I really wanna get into classic sci fi but basically all of it is riddled with this "FREE LOVE POLYAMORY" bullshit.

Why is that? it makes it really annoying to read.
>>
>>79469203
>Terran Federation actively avoided conflicts. Though they didn't fuck around when someone started shit with them.

Umm dude they're fucking the shit out of the skinnies in the beginning just to show them who is boss.
>>
>>79473686
I can tell it'll easily be one of my favourites. I fucking love this kind of sci fi stuff. I should've said "either way it'll easipy be one of my favourites"
>>
>>79474199
Because they are written during the 60's

>>79474163
Being Liberal or a Thug will get you literally whipped.
>>
>>79474199
Sturgeons law buddy.
>>
>>79467215

I believe this book portrays possibly the most sound political/civil system we could ever implememt as people.
>>
>>79474294
>Because they are written during the 60's
And? That doesn't excuse shit like the sheer degeneracy of Time Enough For Love.
>>
>>79473946
The empire itself went into decline in the third century, but emperors were already going full retard starting with tiberius
>>
>>79474421
Agreed
>>
>>79474421
It has a major shortcoming - it falls apart in the absence of an enemy to fight.
>>
>>79474199
roadside picnic
>>
>>79474487
60's Sci-Fi was all about sleeping with hot alien bitches because of early Star Trek.
>>
>>79467215
Just the though of liberals defending space bugs scares the shit out of me.
>>
>>79474274
That is because the Skinnies were helping the bugs.
>>
>>79473390

Hate to break this to all your questions but the books isn't that detailed on the bugs and skinnies and combat

Most of the book is Rico in school or training learning vague concepts. Nothing direct about the Feds.
Still a good book. It just isn't pants on retarded with detail like a grrm boom or the star wars eu
>>
File: 1467315724388.jpg (2 MB, 3088x2400) Image search: [Google]
1467315724388.jpg
2 MB, 3088x2400
>>79467215

>when you realize that the only reason globalists are making humanity cuck its shit with enrichment is because they're frustrated that we can't feasibly liberate the galaxy yet
>>
File: Tpp_gdc2013-10.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Tpp_gdc2013-10.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>79474545
>forgetting the greatest enemy of all
>survival
>>
>>79474702
>Time Enough For Love
>sleeping with hot alien bitches

In the aforementioned book the main character recounts going back in time and starting a sexual cult, including his mother. They have a sexual relationship up to and after she gets pregnant with him.
>>
>>79474719
Didn't PETA at some point insisted that zergs have feelings too?
>>
>>79475064
Nigger if you're going out of your way to read weird shit then you can't complain about it being weird.
>>
>>79474488
Well...yeah. There were no checks and balances in such a system, and the Roman Emperor was the weakest link in the system. And it's rule did inevitably create the ultimate "Fuck You" to Rome, which was Christianity.

The thing about Rome is that the system did more right than it did wrong. It assimilated the globe wherever it went while sustaining a large population. And, before we look too down on it, the Empire was known for it's gratuitous Welfare programs and strong emphasis on Bread and Circuses. Fuck. The Empire was even a place where Interracial relationships were even a thing. WewuzCaesar.

If you have ANY love for the Roman Empire, understand that Globalism is trying to recapture that spark. Unfortunately, Globalism won't even get the ball rolling, where-as Rome survived Emperors who married their own mothers. That's how sturdy the system was.

Comparatively, the Republic was a clusterfuck of clusterfucks. I don't talk about the Republic much, because that's too pol, but the Republic couldn't even survive GOOD leadership. It was that unstable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_War_(91%E2%80%9388_BC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Servile_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulla%27s_civil_wars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar%27s_Civil_War

Like. I know the straight dope about the Republic, and the Republic was doomed to fail when there were no worlds left to conquer.
>>
File: 0460599_21624_MC_Tx360.jpg (22 KB, 666x360) Image search: [Google]
0460599_21624_MC_Tx360.jpg
22 KB, 666x360
>>79468612
1st movie is shit. Didn't watch any of the other movies because the 1st was so bad.Read book. There's a cartoon series out there that's a little closer to the book in spirit. Didn't see all of it so it may suck too. In the book they all rode in mech suits instead of running around in heavy armor.
>>
>>79475361
You're fucked in the head if you didn't like the first Starship Troopers movie desu. It's an In-Universe propaganda film, it's perfect.
>>
File: 806681_1313491022167_full.jpg (112 KB, 412x550) Image search: [Google]
806681_1313491022167_full.jpg
112 KB, 412x550
>>79475164

Let's be fair tho famalam

>Not going through the effort of knowing your enemy
>>
>>79475361
Makes sense I mean Mobile Infantry just by looking at the name should imply something special that diferentiates them from tegular infantry

>>79474854
Shame, still the book sounds really good
>>
>>79474545
no.

the biggest short coming it the need for strong checks against citizen power. Lest they decide to overthrow the system and install themselves as a new hereditary ruling class.

which I imagine is job 1 of the military. since the military is nothing but people who aren't citizens yet.
>>
>>79475691
the book is worth a read, just don't go in expecting it to be full of action
>>
>>79475691
>>79475896
there is a part in the book when Rico is in enlisted basic. They are doing survival training. They get dropped into the Canadian wilderness naked, and only a knife. They are then told to survive and make their way to the extraction point. Which takes weeks/months. Rico had to hunt for food and clothing.
>>
>>79475613
The only things good about the movie were tits,Michael Ironsides and Clancy Brown. I'll give extra credit for Denise Richards being attractive but thats it.
>>
>>79475896
this famalam, 90% politics and military life stuff. Still exölendt
>>
Anybody see the 1988 anime version?

Pros: Actually has the powered suits, the drop capsules, the Mobile infantry tactics are pretty close to the military doctrine depicted in the book. The space ship designs are fairly unique. The federation isn't depicted as being overtly fascist. Has few key scenes that were left out in the movie (the training evolution on the moon, the brawl with the civilians, "the time we dropped everything and fought a forest fire for three days")

Cons: It's anime.
>>
>>79476533
I'm sorry, but I have to tell you, you're an enormous faggot.
>>
>>79475691

The MI are basically space Marines.

The book has power armor with jetpacks, nukes, and flamethrowers. Also they use drop pods to start an assault on a planet. Heinlein invented a lot of sci-fi concepts in this book.

Basically games workshop ripped this off and then added genetic engineering to make the Marines 8 feet tall.
>>
>>79473563
Read the wiki on it. Looks like it's about Cuck anarchists and shit. WTF.
>>
>>79475215
I want to add that the Republic failed not because of Democracy but in SPITE of being Democratic. And the Empire succeeded not because it was Authoritarian but in SPITE of being Authoritarian. The Republic fell, eerily, in the same kinds of traps we are all familiar with.

But that's enough of that shit.
>>
>>79476777
hear, hear.
>>
>>79476784
Heinlein basically invented modern SciFi
>>
File: Spacemarine_titus_helmet.jpg (178 KB, 512x320) Image search: [Google]
Spacemarine_titus_helmet.jpg
178 KB, 512x320
>>79476784

Well, the Space Marines from Rogue Trader have, since 5th edition, pretty much evolved into Futuristic Space Knights. Alot of the licensed material, like the Horus Heresy novels, rarely even refers to them as space marines anymore.
>>
>>79467215

I like Haldeman's Forever War better.
>>
>>79476777
Nope. Liking the book over the movies is always the right answer. You're the fagot. Though I'm going to try to find this >>79476732. Not that I normally watch anime. Ahem!
>>
>>79477409
I read them one after the other and liked them both.

It's worth noting that Heinlein never actually fought in a war.
>>
H Beam Piper is like Heinlein if Heinlein wasn't a sexual pervert.
>>
>>79475164
I was just told it was a good job.
>>
>>79477425
fight club the movie was definitely better than the book
>>
>>79471733

No it really was not 'absolute shit.'

Forever Peace was, though.
>>
>>79477742
He got Pulmonary Tuberculosis while in the Navy and they discharged him for it.
>>
Is there any classic/good sci fi without the hippie bullshit?
>>
>>79467215
That and The Forever War should be required readings for any man
>>
>>79478095
Robert Buettner's Orphanage.

David Weber's Honor Harrington and Safehold series.

Harry Turtledove's World War/Colonization series, and Guns of the South.
>>
>>79477969
Probably the food. People who must endure the works of "Culinary Specialists" envy those with access to MREs.
>>
>>79478378
Isn't Honor Harrington a total mary sue? Least that's what I heard.
>>
File: conanmerc.png (690 KB, 639x904) Image search: [Google]
conanmerc.png
690 KB, 639x904
If you want to read something completely political incorrect, you should check out the original Robert E Howard Conan stories. I recommend starting with Beyond the Black River, because it completely defies your expectations for the Conan stories are supposed to be.
>>
>>79468612
>it's a military dictatorship with a fanatical collectivisk by a large part of the population incited by the government
Everything you said is wrong and inspired by the shitty movie.
>>
>>79478640
>Beyond the Black River

Is that the one where he fights the giant ape demons on top of the Pyramid? I loved that one.
>>
>>79478631
It is Horatio Hornblower in space.

Safehold has a lot of mary and gary stu in it too. Though it is at least excused by them having access to super advanced technology in a world stuck in the Medieval era.
>>
File: bear_OJSimpson_meme.jpg (204 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
bear_OJSimpson_meme.jpg
204 KB, 720x720
Read this in High School, thought it was more communist than fascist with dudes from Buenos Ares wanting to serve the community and dykes with shaved heads in the military.

When I saw the movie I was mostly pissed about the lack of 'ape suits' but was surprised how white and fasciest, yet homo in the shower everyone was. The book's training was more like surviving on a snowy prison colony vs some desert American Gladiator crap.

Bears, soon the feeding with stop and your time will come:
http://imgur.com/a/1ItHd
>>
>>79478764
The Movie is vastly better once you realize that it's literally an in-universe propaganda film based on the life of Rico. It's a movie within a movie.
>>
>>79478720
No, it's basically Conan the Barbarian ported into Last of the Mohicans.
>>
>>79477969
Yeah, he did. I'm not hating on him for that, but it means that Haldeman had combat experience, while Heinlein didn't.
>>
>>79478902
Conan isn't an edgy fuck, is he? I heard he could be a bit evil in the early shit.
>>
>>79478922
the funny thing is. Heinlein was called Raging Liberal when he was young. Though all his literature makes fun of, and shows how bad, modern Raging Liberals are.
>>
>>79479029
Conan isn't a good guy, but he isn't edgy and will regularly do things simply because they're right despite it.
>>
>>79479110
>Though all his literature makes fun of, and shows how bad, modern Raging Liberals are.
Stranger in a strange land.

>>79479153
Conan is totally a good guy. He isn't a boyscout and driven entirely by self interest, but when things are dire he will do the right thing.
>>
>>79479029

Well the worst things he did in the OG stories, as I recall are: Started a mutiny against a ship captain that saved his ass, tried to rape what he thinks is a naked girl he met in the mountains (hint; she's not actually human) kills a wounded pirate that was technically on his side because he didn't want him slowing everybody down, tries to steal some sacred jewels from a Kingdom that is employing him as a mercenary, other than that he's really an antihero.
>>
>>79467215
>>79468612
>I haven't read the book

bruh
>>
>>79479341
isnt an antihero
>>
>>79479259
I was reading Stranger in a Strange Land. Though I don't know where my book as gone.

I got to the part where that wealthy former judge friend decided to help the Martian and the girlfriend of the missing reporter.
>>
>>79479259
The thing is, RE Howard was on a sort of ur-Rand or evolutionary thinking, that self-interest largely overlapped "the good," and the real bad stuff came from communalism and fighting nature or time.
>>
>>79479501
I can't stand it. More "ADVANCED SOCIETIES ARE POLY GUYS" bullshit.
>>
>>79479571
The Martians are all female from birth till they mature. Then all the old martians are male.

So it is a society of pedophiles. As old men go around sexing up the martian children to make more children.
>>
>>79479560

>I know what it is to be penniless in a Hyborian land. Now in my country sometimes there are famines; but people are hungry only when there's no food in the land at all. But in civilized countries I've seen people sick of gluttony while others were starving. Aye, I've seen men fall and die of hunger against the walls of shops and storehouses crammed with food.
>>
File: and-you-dont-seem-to-understand.png (317 KB, 506x899) Image search: [Google]
and-you-dont-seem-to-understand.png
317 KB, 506x899
>>79473540
idk free love sounds pretty nice desu

it just doesn't work in practice because people are petty and insecure
>>
File: soap.jpg (139 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
soap.jpg
139 KB, 600x300
>>79479996

Yeah so sometimes RE Howard seems to almost cross in anarcho-primitivism territory. Though I think he had said at one point he didn't really think primitive societies were better, he was just more interested in exploring the idea of civilization falling to barbarism. Conan isn't so much a character as a force of nature, a walking plot device. He's the personification, in Howard's mind, of civilizations helplessness in the face of true barbarism.
>>
>>79480358
Then you are no man, but a fool.
>>
How about some sci fi/fantasy reads that are /pol/ tier?
>>
File: 1431687311118.jpg (133 KB, 558x702) Image search: [Google]
1431687311118.jpg
133 KB, 558x702
>>79467215
MC is part of the most powerful race on earth. its a meme book
>>
Amusingly, the "Veteran Revolutions" that end up creating the Federation start in Scotland, so this is a novel where Scotland takes over the world.
>>
File: FUCK.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.gif
3 MB, 400x225
What are some good redpilled spy novels?
>>
>>79469203
Too authoritarian for my taste but I can respect it
>>
>I can't stand it. More "ADVANCED SOCIETIES ARE POLY GUYS" bullshit.

>i can't compartmentalize beleifs to extract valuable infromation from an eclectic variety of sources

you're a perfect illustration why this board is a fucking joke and just a collection of bluepilled retards wearing different team colors
>>
File: DO YOUR PART.webm (2 MB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
DO YOUR PART.webm
2 MB, 540x360
>>79477425
Book was definitely better than the movie, but that doesn't make the movie bad, the movie still kicks ass.
>>
>>79467215
>by today's standards

It had a ton of flack when it was released though not for political correctness.
>>
File: 1455791328103.webm (245 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1455791328103.webm
245 KB, 400x225
>>79481133
>gif
>2016
>>
>>79481825

Very racist video against the turks.
>>
>>79481555
says the guy from a literal dictatorship
>>
>>79481825
Latvia? You still exist? How are you?
>>
>>79477425
All the episodes are up on jewtube senpai.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZty-Eol4s

The opening is 80's as fuck, it's great.
>>
>>79482380
And believe me I know how much it sucks to be under authorianism
>>
>>79482232
Red Storm Rising.
>>
>>79482941
What are you talking about? You're country is one of richest on the planet in a region of the world surrounded by poverty and corruption. You know how great it is to be under proper authority.
>>
>>79482974
Meant to quote >>79481133
>>
>>79475361
The 1st movie was the only good one, if I recall. The book is far superior and tackles much more serious tones, but the movie is still a wild ride with good character development.
>>
>>79477409
>Haldeman's Forever War
I've never heard of this. Anons, is it worth picking up?
>>
File: 1459796454717.jpg (59 KB, 453x439) Image search: [Google]
1459796454717.jpg
59 KB, 453x439
>>79475153
holy fuck
>>
>>79483601
If you've ever been deployed for more than a year without leave, you'll relate to it. Just don't expect tense action sequences or deep philosophy, it's a book about culture shock in your home culture.
>>
>>79483601
It's really good. TLDR: Guy gets drafted to fight ayy lmaos, but due to the way space travel works with time dilation, he experiences a couple months out fighting while decades are passing in reality and Earth is drastically changing. Each time he comes home, Earth and society have changed so much that he can barely recognize it. By the end of the book he's considered to be an abnormal primitive weirdo that would normally be mercy killed or locked up due to how different he is from the current generation, and the only reason they keep him around is his experience.
>>
>>79480470
There's a screencap I have talking about how how Howard seemed to view civilization as rising from savagery to barbarity, to civilized, to decadence, then back down to savagery, but I can't find. It's rather on point when you think about it. Conan runs across a number of kingdoms that are basically one famine away from collapsing due to their shittiness.
>>
>>79484599
How accurately does it describe our modern world
>>
Best part: Buenos Aires gets smashed by the bugs. Even aliens can't stand Argintinians.
>>
>>79486453
You're asking about the accuracy of intentional hyperbole.
>>
>>79467215
The only things that I really agree with is Military service before public office. Other then that I still am in favor of Constitutional Federal Republic
>>
>>79486594
The gender shit and homo pushing seems far too relevant.
>>
>>79487219
We're at the protagonist's second shore leave or so in social "progress."
>>
>>79487615
I wonder if the author knew.
>>
>>79467215
>>79468059
>>79469203
>>79469561
>>79474421

>>79472070
>meanwhile the federation is heinlein saying that Western Democracies suck and here is what I think is better.

autists always think everything has to have a "message"

Heinlein wrote sci-fi about a specific futuristic government. It doesn't mean he was also creating a parable to teach people about what he thought the best government would be.

Take risperdal.
>>
>>79467215
>Is this book based?
Does the tin man have a sheet metal cock?
>>
File: huwaaaa-surge.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
huwaaaa-surge.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>79480507
how does imagining a perfect unattainable ideal would be nice make me a fool and not a man?

are men not allowed to dream?
>>
its liberal satire, how retarded are you?
Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.