[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EPA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: 1465844404625.jpg (25 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1465844404625.jpg
25 KB, 640x480
Wait...so there are people on this board, right now, who think that cutting the Environmental Protection Agency is a good thing? What's to stop large factories from destroying our water and earth with toxic biproducts of manufacturing? Please, enlighten me.
>>
>>79455409
>implying we need the EPA to enforce law
>>
>>79455409
>muh free market
>muh capitalism
>>
>>79455552
So close to quints damn
>>
>>79455409
State level environmental protection agencies, not everything needs to be federal faggot
>>
yes the companies would pile that shit up in the park, if we let them.
>>
File: image.jpg (445 KB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
445 KB, 1536x1536
You CAN'T be a Nationalist and not be a Conservationalist

Anyone that says otherwise is a libertarian who'd sell his country out for some money and who believes he has the right to destroy his nation's wonders
>>
>>79455730
They would actually. Why spend money eliminating waste properly when they can just cheaply throw it wherever?
>>
>>79455782
This.
>>
The environment was well protected long before the EPA was set up. It's another make work program for busybodies that want to control other peoples lives.
>>
>>79455959
pppffff thanks for the laugh, guy,buddy,friend.
>>
>>79455409
Lawsuits. Why would they dump where it could hurt people if they would lose billions in class action lawsuits and go out of business?
>>
>>79455409
You're forgetting that most people here are the dead ends on their family trees, and so caring about what happens to the planet doesn't matter to them. And I reckon few believe in reincarnation.

That's pretty much the only reason people care, because they have children or worry about having to deal with it themselves later.

Someone is going to have to clean up this miss, that is, unless we all die from it.
>>
>>79456530
>Why would they dump where it could hurt people
It could be done without general knowledge. Also America is huge, so there are many dumping places were they won't affect people, at least immediately

>>79455959
kek
>>
>>79455689

So the states with the weakest laws attract the most businesses? Which then cause other states to weaken laws?
Look up "Race to the Bottom" then look up "beggaring your neighbor"

moron....

This is why you can't understand global trade or pretty much any complex issue that isn't black and white.

I cry for my nation....
>>
>>79455409
>What's to stop large factories from destroying our water and earth with toxic biproducts of manufacturing?

What's to stop them from doing this currently?

Does the EPA have an employee in all factories around the clock to make sure they're behaving?

Of course not. The vast majority of businesses won't blatantly pollute due to liability (whether it's from government fines, or pissed off citizens bringing civil suits against them).

Unfortunately there will always be some unethical shitbags out there who try to get aware with it regardless of what laws and other deterrents are in place, though.
>>
>>79457037
yes, look at China
>>
>>79457232
>What's to stop them from doing this currently?

EPA regulations, you faggot.

>Does the EPA have an employee in all factories around the clock to make sure they're behaving?

No, but they have regulations, laws... And if someone suspects a wrongdoing by a company, the person can report to EPA, who has experient staff, power, and local connections.

>Unfortunately there will always be some unethical shitbags out there who try to get aware with it regardless of what laws and other deterrents are in place, though.
>Some people do shit
>Lets remove all barriers

>Someone shoots up a school
>lets take away all the guns
>>
>>79457493
>EPA regulations, you faggot.

Regulations/fines punish people after the fact (assuming they even get caught) and do not prevent them from committing the crime.
>>
Having worked for the EPA as a contractor even the employees told me they honestly didn't do anything worthy. It was all about justifying spending the budget
>>
>>79457261
Is this a joke?

Do you have any idea what China does to its land and water?
>>
>>79457713
But fines and imprisionment tend to make people think twice about comiting a crime.

What are you even trying to argue?
>>
>>79457757
>>79457757
>Trust me, i'm on 4chin xD
>>
>>79457892
No it doesnt.

Especially when you know you will get away with it.

Decent people will be decent with or without law.

Shitty people will be shitty
>>
>>79457945
Im actually tellinf the truth but whatever.

Youre in portugal, it honestly doesnt matter what you think

Voce e un viado mesmo
>>
>>79458000
>Especially when you know you will get away with it.
And that is what the EPA is for, to enforce the environmental laws. Without EPA the laws aren't enforced, or at least they are enforced with highly diminished efficiency, and then people will stop respecting the laws, since they know they won't get caught.

>Shitty people will be shitty

But shitty people will not do as much shit if they know they are caught
>>
>>79457892
>But fines and imprisionment tend to make people think twice about comiting a crime.

And so would the threat of civil liability from citizens whose water for example was poisoned by a business polluting. If the EPA didn't exist, there would still be mechanisms to deter companies from polluting.

>What are you even trying to argue?

OP claiming that the EPA or other government regulators prevent businesses from doing bad things ("what's to stop a company from ... if the EPA didn't exist"). There's be nothing more than the deterrence measures previously mentioned, just like there is now. If a business didn't care about the potential consequences, they could pollute, just like they can right now in the current system.
>>
>>79458077
>YOUR COUNTRY IS IRRELEVANT xDDDDD lel

Can you americans be original? Like i actually gave a fuck about my country being relevant in international stage
>>
>>79455409
They already are polluting the earth most likely the EPA is complicit, so why do we need the EPA again?
>>
>>79457493
>Does the EPA have an employee in all factories around the clock to make sure they're behaving?
>No, but they have regulations, laws... And if someone suspects a wrongdoing by a company, the person can report to EPA, who has experient staff, power, and local connections.

This is actually the job of local law enforcement or if a serious case arises, the CIA/FBI. Also the EPA can't just make laws, they can only make suggestions for congress. Which exposes them for what they really are, a lobbying group paid for by the government

>>79458233
>Without EPA the laws aren't enforced, or at least they are enforced with highly diminished efficiency, and then people will stop respecting the laws, since they know they won't get caught

People in my town get fined for littering all the time. The EPA has nothing to do with it
>>
>>79458309
>And so would the threat of civil liability from citizens whose water for example was poisoned by a business polluting
But would the citizens be the ones to investigate the source of poluted water? Would they be the ones to gather evidences? And what about polution who is not noticeable to human eye?

> If the EPA didn't exist, there would still be mechanisms to deter companies from polluting.

Such as?

>OP claiming that the EPA or other government regulators prevent businesses from doing bad things

They clearly are.

>There's be nothing more than the deterrence measures previously mentioned, just like there is now.
Deterrence, prosecution and regulation.

>If a business didn't care about the potential consequences

EPA is a consequence you dumb dumb
>>
they would back up dump trucks to the orphanage for a dollar. he shit.
>>
>>79458489
>This is actually the job of local law enforcement or if a serious case arises, the CIA/FBI.
> was created for the purpose of protecting human health and the environment by writing and enforcing regulations
>enforcing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Environmental_Protection_Agency

>Also the EPA can't just make laws,

Of course, congress makes laws in USA irrc.

>People in my town get fined for littering all the time. The EPA has nothing to do with it
>litering
ok
>>
>>79458328
Yeah yeah.

Youre so unique congrats viado
>>
>>79458626
Let me put it this way porutgalbro the EPA is necessary to degree. I live in Jersey where there was alot of chemical pollution before and during the Silent Spring era. Despite overwhelming evidence that many superfund sites haven't been completely dealt with, many times companies like Ford and Dupont try to get these issues swept under the rug with a combination of time, hush money, and legal red tape. In some ways the EPA is complicit in these backroom deals. Despite the concept that they could be better, i wouldnt trade them for lesser regulations even if hell froze over.
>>
>>79458858
>enforcing

That's my entire point. Everything the EPA does was already done by another organization. They were created for their lobbying potential
>>
>>79459108
No they were created for a key reason. Thing is, most of these companies that needed or created alot of these harmful byproducts in the 60s and 70s discovered the joys of outsourcing to the 3rd world shitholes where the dictators only cared about money, regulations were lax and the cost of capital was relatively cheaper
>>
>>79459077
> In some ways the EPA is complicit in these backroom deals

I have no doubt, but scraping EPA becuase there is corruption..

> Despite the concept that they could be better

Obviously

>>79459108
>Everything the EPA does was already done by another organization.

Wich?
>>
>>79459276
>No they were created for a key reason.

What reason?
>>
>>79455409
The EPA is just another hand of the real rulers of the world. When duponts patent for r-12 ran out the EPA just so happened to ban it, and it's just another coincidence in a long line of coincidences since then. There so much ignorance on here it's sickening.

If you're smart enough to do the research on the level it takes to draw the sane conclusion the information is out there. It wasn't as bad when I first found out about it, there wasn't as much disinfo, if any? Back then you only had to worry about the crazy inane theories.
>>
>>79459077

Fun fact: 900 of the 1300 or so EPA Superfund sites are either former US military bases/facilities or private manufacturing/industry done on behalf of the US military.

The US government is by far the biggest polluter in this country. But hey, let's not forget how evil Ford and DuPont are I guess.
>>
>>79459276
>No they were created for a key reason.

Seriously what do you think the EPA does that no other organization has done?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.