[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best place to live in US for aero engineer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: airplane-890x395.jpg (53 KB, 890x395) Image search: [Google]
airplane-890x395.jpg
53 KB, 890x395
Well, /pol/, I'm graduating next May with my degree in aero engineering. I need to start thinking about where to apply for a full time job. I've got the chance to pretty much go anywhere in the country as long as it has a decent job.

Basically I'm looking for somewhere where I could meet a decent woman and raise a family. So low cost of living, low crime, few restrictions on gun ownership, etc.
>>
>>79088586
Oklahoma City. Consider a job at Tinker AFB working at their air depot or Boeing. Good money and decent cost of living.

Source: Im doing exactly that currently.
>>
>>79088865
Is it mostly military work in OKC?

How much do they pay entry level engineers?
>>
>>79089184
Im a DOD civilian working for Defense Logistics Agency. Though the building I work contracts out to all sorts of companies. GE, Rolls Royce, Lockheed Martin ect.

Boeing is a separate entity with a major office nearby off post.

Im prior military and got on as a GS-7 (roughly 50k/yr) You clearly have much better credentials than I do so you can expect much more than that.
>>
>>79088586

Seattle or Los Angelus OP. Seattle is the global HQ for Boeing and LA is the HQ for Northrup Grumman.
>>
>>79090227
I'm definitely trying to stay out of California. My impression is that Seattle isn't very good either, but I could be persuaded on this one. Have you lived there?
>>
>>79088586
Oklahoma City guy here.

https://www.usajobs.gov/ is a good place to get started if you are interested in similar opportunities I took advantage of.
>>
File: Anacortes.jpg (69 KB, 911x607) Image search: [Google]
Anacortes.jpg
69 KB, 911x607
>>79090916

Seattle is a pretty cool city, especially in terms of architecture, but it's also kind of a liberal shithole. That being said, the surrounding San Juan islands are absolutely gorgeous – probably one of the most beautiful regions on Earth. I'd consider moving there just for the opportunity to potentially buy a vacation home in Friday Harbor or something.
>>
>>79088586
People are saying Seattle or LA for the sake of your career, but for the sake of your family, come work in AZ. Big Boeing facility here as well as a few other small but high profit aerospace companies.
>>
>>79091797
>liberal shithole
That's what I was afraid of. I've got a friend from Seattle and he says its a beautiful place. I'll keep my mind open and look into it some more, though.
>>
>>79092357
What kind of work does the Boeing facility in AZ do? And can you name some of the smaller companies? I could see myself in AZ
>>
>>79093144
Helicopters.
>>
>>79093144
Pretty sure Lockheed Skunk Works is down there.
>>
>>79091797

If you are looking for the exact opposite of the liberal shit hole you could choose to live in Kitsap County across the sound and take the ferry to work. Big time Navy area. Ships though, not aircraft.
>>
Give Huntsville, AL a look. Because of the proximity of Redstone Arsenal and Marshall Space Flight Center there' s a little group of aerospace-related defense contractors in the area.

Boeing has a place in Charleston, SC but I'm not sure how much if any engineering actually goes on there. I think the plant might be just for assembly but I'm not sure.
>>
>>79093144
I work in the electrical department for Boeing Mesa. It is mostly a military site. C17, F16, F18, Apache, and a lot of retrofit stuff. However, they are trying to get more commercial work as there is something like an 80 billion dollar backlog in commercial. The military side doesn't have any major projects or contracts compared to the old days so commercial is the way to go right now. AZ also has Raytheon, Honeywell International, General Dynamics, C4 Systems, Northrop Grumman, Orbital Sciences Corporation, United Technologies, L3 Communications, Standard Aero (MRO), Bombardier Inc., and Nammo Talley. Those are just the major players. There are some smaller companies as well. My sister's husband works for a place that basically pimps out private jets. DO NOT look for work at the Long Beach site as they will be closing down once the C17 program is finished.

Arizona is the 4th largest for employment in aviation and aerospace manufacturing, 2nd largest in space and defense systems manufacturing, and 6th largest in maintenance, repair, and overhaul.
>>
>>79094415
Good call. Maybe NASA is hiring. Has OP considered Space X yet?
>>
Seattle you stupid fuck
>>
>>79094783
Keep in mind that those are the projects I am relatively familiar with due to being in electrical. There are other things going on in other departments such as composites.
>>
>>79095042
Seattle is a liberal cuck hole. Fuck that place.
>>
>>79094783
>>79095764
That's a pretty big list. So I take it that it's mostly defense work and spacecraft? I'll look into those more closely later, but I'm trying to do private or commercial planes.
>>79094920
My specialization is in planes. I should have mentioned that before.
>>
>>79096728
Not entirely, no. At Boeing it is mostly defense right now but many of those others have commercial work. Take the time to look into them. If you have a decent resume they will fight for you. If you don't mind not having benefits and want to make significantly more money then rather than apply directly at any of them, get set up with some contract houses and have them set you up with them. I am technically a contractor and I make more than most of my peers who are actual Boeing employees. I'm young and single so I don't mind not having benefits. They do have a killer package though if you are a family man. They will even pay for any continued education you get.
>>
>>79093661
Skunkworks is in Palmdale.
>>
File: A10_PaleHorse.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
A10_PaleHorse.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>79088586
UAV's are the future. I contract for General Atomics and work on MQ-9's as a Field Avionics Technician. I've worked for the company for almost 2 and a half years. I am currently making $33.28/hr. I made just over $115K last year. I've worked for Textron/Bell Helicoptor, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and Sierra Nevada Corporation. This is the most money I have ever made and the least amount of work I've ever had to do.
>>
California
>>
>>79096728
For commercial planes, you're better off in Seattle or Charleston, SC right now.
>>
>>79102509
Charleston is beautiful. Who's there? I know Boeing is but I thought that was only assembly and IT. I could be wrong though.
>>
and not a single texas was mentioned
>>
>>79102922
Boeing is here and it's growing fast. There are Liaison and MEs here amongst others. There's also propulsion and research work that's starting up here, so that might give you some opportunities.
>>
>>79088586
Wichita is probably pretty good for you then.

It has Spirit, Cessna, Beechcraft, Leerjet, Airbus, and Bombardier, plus all the sub-contractors that go along with it. Good alternative if you don't want to live in OKC working for the government
>>
>>79088586
If you want Defense - come to DC and NOVA
>>
File: navair-logo.png (2 MB, 1950x1950) Image search: [Google]
navair-logo.png
2 MB, 1950x1950
If private companies are NOT hiring, then try NAVAIR, they're the R&D for Naval aviation.
>>
>>79103012
Texas is a shithole of hicks and wiccans

move to Quebec. the weather is reasonable, the people moderate and largely redpilled, and there's like 9 different aerospace companies with offices around the province (including "real" names like airbus)
>>
>>79092841

all the best cities in the U.S. are liberal
>>
>>79101544
so you joined the army

good job
>>
>>79088586
The main Boeing plant in Washington is in Everett, like 40 miles north of Seattle. It's not quite as liberal as Seattle, especially if you go east towards towns like Snohomish and Monroe
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.