[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me why this book might be wrong and why citizenship doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
Tell me why this book might be wrong and why citizenship doesn't have to be earned with service. Seems to me, The Terran Federation is right. Only citizens who have served should have to right to vote and hold public office. They have put blood and sweat into the state and have a say in how it operates. Those who do not serve should not have a say.

Even those who cannot be soldiers can still serve, of course. A place will be found for them so long as they have the will and desire.

Is there a reason we are not already doing this?
>>
>>78760876
because the state is the people not a clique of autocrats
>>
>>78760946

but the people cannot just vote for what they want without putting in effort to work for it. That is what all the gibbsmedats want but they do not deserve it. Would it not make more sense to force them to serve before they can request for free shit?
>>
Those forced into compulsory service would surely suffer some sort of indoctrination via the ruling regime d'jour, no matter their opinion. These people would share common ideals and common philosophies, regardless of socioeconomic status. This ensures and enables the subjugation, enslavement and crushing of the new lower class of non citizens, regardless of their political affinity. Genocide might follow in extreme cases.

Overall, a good idea for fiction, but a poor choice for anyone in the real world who has the gall to disagree with anything.
>>
>>78761946

hmm I suppose that makes sense. Surely there can be checks and balances though. There are many other ways of serving besides being in the military for example.

But i do see your point.
>>
>>78762212
Also in the film as well showed the wealthy can get around the citizenship. What about the lower classes as well?

>they were going to zegama beach for christ sake
>>
>>78762212
>There are many other ways of serving besides being in the military for example.
That's already a pretty significant divergence from the system in Starship Troopers. You might be able to come up with a better model based on civic service instead of military but it's going to have to be something of your own design instead of lifting it from a 50s sci-fi book.
>>
>>78762345
the film is nothing like the book.
>>
>>78760876
The book states that military service is only one of the multiple ways to achieve citizenship.
>>
>taking political advice from a movie whose plot consists of a space age civilization sending actual human infantry against literal space bugs

you just fucked your own shit up senpai
>>
>>78762499
I know that but i used it as reference to make a point. A federation to me is a good idea, but thats from being prior service.
>>
File: Starship troopers on amazon.jpg (473 KB, 1236x2208) Image search: [Google]
Starship troopers on amazon.jpg
473 KB, 1236x2208
>>78762596
>>78762482
>>78762561

sorry, guess I didn't make it clear in my OP. I am mostly talking about the book and the ideas expressed within that.

The movie does a very poor job of showing the politics and world outside of Rico's mobile infantry training and deployment. Though the movie does have it's entertaining moments.
>>
File: 7860063.jpg (34 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
7860063.jpg
34 KB, 500x499
>>78760876

MY RIGHTS TO BE A (((NEET))) SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED UPON
>>
>>78760876
Nope, land ownership is a better way of determining who is worthy of having a say.
>>
this is something that a braindead 2.0 gpa from high school thought of in order to make himself feel important.

>mos 68H
>98% of mos are just like above
>blood and sweat

hahhahahahhaha
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.