[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on GEDs? Are they any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (6 KB, 240x194) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6 KB, 240x194
Thoughts on GEDs? Are they any good?
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 800x1200
In taking my language arts test for it tomorrow. I haven't studied for it at all though, so I might be fucked.
>>
File: 1466015128898.jpg (13 KB, 318x345) Image search: [Google]
1466015128898.jpg
13 KB, 318x345
>>77654631
>1 post by this ID
>>
>>77655010
Nice contribution to the thread, anon. Your post really made me think...
>>
>>77654631
>Are they any good?
Good Enough
>>
>>77654954
It's a pretty easy test - at least when I took it years ago.

I wouldn't sweat it, you'll do fine
>>
GED = High School Diploma

In todays america, they are equal.
>>
File: image.jpg (563 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
563 KB, 2048x1536
>>77655603
I took an online course last year that was basic middle school shot and I didn't study all. It the actual test pretty much the same?
>>
>>77654631
I got mine, but I stayed around to get my High School Diploma.
>>
>>77654631
They're better than nothing
>>
>>77655809
the test is easy as fuck, if you dont pass it the first time, consider killing yourself
>>
Took all 5 tests in one day, started city college a year before my graduating class. Now in grad school.

GED is easiest shit ever
>>
>>77654631
It's made so a high school drop out can pass it, how hard could it be?
>>
GED = Good Enough Diploma
In all honesty high school diplomas are so worthless a GED will absolutely substitute for one. You could always just write down the name of your high school and say what years you attended, just don't mention graduation, let them assume.
>>
>>77656280
No employer ever called a high school to confirm graduation. High school is worthless. bacholars Degree is new high school diploma
>>
>>77656588
Being a college dropout is the equivalent of a high school drop out now
>>
>>77654631
take the pretest online through the official GED website. see if you need to brush up on your math. I took it this year after putting it off for almost 20 years. I passed all tests on first attempt.

I already have a masters degree it was just annoying on job applications to have to put no hs degree.
>>
>>77654631
Is everyone here a high school drop out?
>>
>>77656940
Howd you get into a college with no high school or GED?
>>
>>77657090
Pretty much /pol/ is full of intelligent free thinkers . America public schools are all about socialization, not education.
>>
>>77657098
community college didnt require hs diploma as long as you have an "ability to benefit". i transferred to 4year college then grad school.
>>
File: 1394062797661.png (242 KB, 341x529) Image search: [Google]
1394062797661.png
242 KB, 341x529
>>77654631
I got my GED at 15, entered CC at 16, and transferred to Uni at 18.

Seriously, you are absolutely retarded if you think HS is worth it.

Being in CC at 16 was fucking amazing because I basically got fuck around all day while all my shithead friends were in teen daycare.
>>
File: 112200px-Cirnoo.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
112200px-Cirnoo.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
I dropped out in grade 8, worked instead

Took the test at 19 for a new job. Passed first try. Heard some of the people in the group say this is their 3rd 4th or 5th time.

It isnt hard, mostly common sense really. They usually give you the math formulas etc
>>
>>77656735
It's just like that futurama episode
>>
>>77654631

I got mine ten years ago and then joined the Army and now I am using my GI bill enrolled at a Catholic university. I don't think not having a diploma has really affected me all that much.
>>
>>77654631
GED is middle school equivalent. Got mine at 16 on 1st try
>>
>>77657098
Community college will take you with a GED and some Universities will too even if you didn't go to community college first. Pretty much the only thing GED will fuck you over in is if you want to join the military.
>>
>>77654954
> Good Enough Diploma
>>
>>77657717
Yeah I recall the older people at the testing center really struggling.
I was 16 and was pretty baffled at what the issue was, I breezed through it.
Made me question equality.
>>
>>77657972
Cant join the army with a GED anymore unless you have college credits.
>>
>>77658364

I think that might have been the case then too, I had some credits though enough to go in as an E-3
>>
Totally fine, knowing what I know now I might have skipped my last two years of high school and gotten one instead. I went to a state university and getting in wasn't hard, I could have gotten in with my test scores alone.

If you're not going to university then you never really have to tell anyone you didn't get a high school diploma. It's highly unlikely anyone would ever ask you to prove it.
>>
>>77657850
You got it. I just worked their joke around it
>>
>>77657717
>>77658328
It's scary at community college seeing 30+ basic math and algebra classes and a handful of pre-calc and calculus classes
>>
>>77654631

I was tired of BS HS. I got my GED when I was 16 in 2000.

I now have my Masters degree and a great paying job... so yes I think it's worth it, provided you don't intend on going to some upscale school

GED > Community College > University for 2 years to earn my Bachelors and another 1.5 years for my Masters.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.
>>
My state replaced GED with HiSET, shit was easy. Finished it in 2.5 hours, you're allowed 7. Got a 90 on it, you only need a 45 to pass.

Some people actually fail it...
>>
I am fine with them, can't be any worse then high school desu
>>
>>77654631
The only way it's good is if you go take the test in 10th grade and can move into college 2 years early. Honesty the most affordable way to go to college is like that, then knock out your basic shit at a community college and transfer to a state university for your last 2 years or so.
>>
>>77654631
I realized going to public High School was a massive and expensive waste of time and that I could just get my GED online.

Unfortunately, this didn't occur to me until the second semester of my senior year.
>>
>>77654631
GED instructor here (along with history and physical science teacher).
Most states have adopted a common core friendly GED test.
Prepare to read looong passages and answer multiple questions from it.
Take notes while reading, and refer to those when answering the questions
>>
>>77656280
What if they ask to see your diploma?
>>
>>77654631
I have a GED. It doesn't matter. Take one semester of community college and then your highest level of education is "some college" instead of a GED.

Anyways you're competing with college grads for retail jobs these days, and a college degree probably hurts their chances more than your GED hurts your chances.

Consider enrolling in Job Corps for a trade. Spend 6 months and learn welding, then work for an oil company and make 50k a year.
>>
>>77654631
I just finished mines, barely had to study, didn't even go to 12th grade.
>>
>>77655809
The GED test I took 10 years ago was 8th grade level questions. You could probably squeak by with 6th grade level knowledge.
>>
>>77657240
>socialization
indoctrination
>>
>>77654631
Just another form of affirmative action.
>>
I didn't think so many people here were HS dropouts

I got my GED, but I really wish I could have stayed to finish HS. The constant bullying was too much. This group of people set my hair on fire and then put it out by pouring a bucket of ice water on me. I had to shave my entire head to avoid suspicion and played it off to my parents as me losing a bet
>>
>>77662102
Why the fuck didn't you seek justice? I was on a teen jury thing for a kid who cut off a lock of a girl's hair in class, and we threw the book at him.
>>
>>77662306
I was too scared, told a few teachers and they just laughed at me. Principle just told me to avoid them. Any other time someone did something it was minor and I'd just end up getting the shit beaten out of me by other students the next day or get grounded by my parents for not sticking up for myself
>>
I dropped out of HS half way through senior year since the school counselor said that I wouldn't be able to graduate come June. The GED test was easy to pass. I was surprised that there were people over age 30 who were taking the same test as me. It goes to show that the economy no longer demands as much unskilled labor that constituted the American working and middle class only 30 years ago. I assume that most of the people who took the GED test went on to a learn or trade instead of taking debts out for college.
>>
>>77662640
Jeez man I'm sorry.
>>
File: virtuql hug.gif (197 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
virtuql hug.gif
197 KB, 480x480
>>77662102
You should of went to a teacher man. That ain't right.

>here's a hug for support.
>>
>>77662787
That... I didn't know that gif did that.

What the fuck.
>>
>>77662787
>should of

GED holder detected
>>
>>77654631
Most of them are probably retards but I'm sure there are a few moderately intelligent people who either made some dumb decisions or have terrible luck.
>>
>>77660880
There is no official GED test online. you might have purchased from a diploma factory pushing out false certificates that if you actually got a high profile job it may come up in a background check. if you work at burger king nobody will care.
>>
>>77663775
Any high profile job will be achieved with credentials other than a GED.
>>
>>77664179
yes but if you were to move on from the fake ged to earn a legitimate bachelors and masters, the fake ged may come up on a security clearance screening.
>>
>>77664353
I seriously doubt it. I don't recall them asking where I got my GED from.
>>
>>77665330
maybe, theres always stories of people working for universities or government positions that get fired for falsifying their education. i assume they piss someone off and they dig far enough to find dirt
>>
>>77665570
The security clearance is mostly to see if you're lying about anything, the issue with a GED mill is legitimacy, not lying.

For a job that requires a higher level of education, the job will have been achieved via the higher degree; an applicant could just leave the GED off the curriculum vitae entirely and it wouldn't make a difference.

For the jobs that do require a GED, upon which employment is predicated, are few and far between and the jobs that would bother to check, even less so. Maybe bank teller, maybe in-home technician, maybe armed guard. In general though, I think anon is safe.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.