[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /pol/ think about gentrification? Personally I loath
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 595x335) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 595x335
What does /pol/ think about gentrification? Personally I loath the lefty, pretentious spoilt twats it brings in, but I'd take a gentrified Tower Hamlets over Sharia East London
>>
>>76286124
Obviously hipsters are better neighbors than gang members, but the superior solution is to live on a spacious piece of land so you have no neighbors.

It can even be near a city if you like being near a city for things to do (I do).
>>
>>76286124

For cities, it is superior than ghettos.
>>
Benefits everybody, people who have jobs get a nice neighborhood probably much closer to their work than the suburbs.

Poor people who own their homes can sell their homes for 5x what they paid for them.

Poor people who rent can fuck off to a new ghetto.
>>
>craft beer
GET THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>76286124

Here in America we have old inner city neighborhoods being gentrified because people are sick of driving in from the suburbs, etc.

My city pursues little agendas to encourage gentrification... light rail lines, bike paths, big park renovations.

The benefit is all these old shitty houses that are full of lead contribute to the cycles of idiocy and criminality in these ghettos. Tearing them down lets the market eliminate the problem rather than having dem gubbmint programs do it.

Another benefit is these lefties who grew up in the suburbs get exposed to niggers etc and become redpilled bit by bit.
>>
>>76286910
lol yeah it's lead paint that turns all the blacks into criminals, right
>>
>>76286599
this TBQH FAMILIA
>>
>>76286599
>>76287125
Pollacks don't like good beer?
>>
>>76287081

Are you a nigger with no reading comprehension? That's why I wrote "CONTRIBUTE."
>>
Gentrification is good. It improves areas.

The biggest issue, however, is that the poor go to other areas and mess those up.
>>
>>76286124
It pisses off all the victim card waving "minorities" that have ruined our cities and the Leftiest twats are usually unemployed and can't afford the cities anyway. Win win.
>>
File: 1427223965956.gif (3 MB, 260x200) Image search: [Google]
1427223965956.gif
3 MB, 260x200
i've bounced around quite a lot throughout my twenties and have lived in quite a few neighborhoods that were being actively gentrified.

gentrification as a process is a good thing.

the neighborhood gets cleaner first. apartments that have been squats/abandoned are refurbished. public transportation and parks improve. easy stuff that doesn't take a lot of money.

locals who have been scraping together savings open up a few coffee shops and bars next. nobody is coming to the neighborhood specifically to do business yet. poorer folks finally get their chance to make their own living, and make friends with the first new settlers. free advertising. health food/fresh food starts showing up in corner stores.

then people start moving to the neighborhood for the relatively high quality of life and relatively low rent. they run small businesses out of small apartments. violent crime goes down and non-violent crime goes up for a few years.

then, investors see the neighborhood growing and open boutiquey stuff. hat shops, cheese shops, artisan silver shrimp forks, etc. this is peak gentrification. a unique subculture has taken root in the neighborhood and is beginning to flower...it starts to look like a good place to make money.

then, the end result is Williamsburg BK or San Francisco. corporate "artists" with franchise contracts, trust fund babies, and businesspeople are not afraid of the once-terrifying neighborhood, and it turns into an affluent echo chamber.

these neighborhoods full of tapas bars and craft festivals start to look appealing to the criminals that had to move out a decade ago...
>>
Even if hipsters are annoying, I'd rather be dodging fixy bikes instead of bullets. Gentrification certainly revitalizes neighborhoods, but as other anons have noted, eventually the neighborhood may morph into a yuppie playground that is out of reach to the bottom 90% of the population.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.