[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://phys.org/news/2016-06-gender -gap-science-exam.html
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: stupidassholes.jpg (36 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
stupidassholes.jpg
36 KB, 640x432
http://phys.org/news/2016-06-gender-gap-science-exam.html

>Arizona State University researchers and their collaborators have discovered that females and males do equally well on exams that require mostly memorization. The same holds true for low- and high-socioeconomic status students. However, when tests include cognitively challenging questions that require elevated critical thinking, females and lower socioeconomic students score lower than their male or high-status peers, even though the students have equal academic ability.

>We were surprised to find that this gap emerged based on cognitive challenge level, and that this negatively affected women and lower socioeconomic students.

>Sara Brownell, an assistant professor with the school and senior author of the study, said there is a national movement to create biology tests that are more cognitively challenging, as these types of tests can improve students' conceptual understanding of biology; however, doing so may harm the very students they are trying to help.

>"We do not recommend lowering the bar. But, we may need to reassess how we are teaching introductory biology to meet these expectations on exams," shared Brownell. "We do want to test at these higher cognitive levels, but we don't want to increase the performance gaps between male and female students, as well as between lower and higher socioeconomic status students."

As as Physics graduate, I'm disgusted with this shit. I come from a poor family and my grades were average, I now work in a hotel.

I can accept that I'm not smart enough to forge a career in physics, not many can as it's a difficult subject. Why can't these faggots just accept that some people just don't have the intelligence for certain careers?
>>
Most people don't learn. They become trained.
>>
File: welcome.png (215 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
welcome.png
215 KB, 500x332
>>76115926
>>
File: 1464896728014.jpg (453 KB, 1280x1782) Image search: [Google]
1464896728014.jpg
453 KB, 1280x1782
>>76115926
>As as Physics graduate...I now work in a hotel.

Dude, how can you not leverage that into a job in the finance sector or anything that involves "quantitative skills"? For example, the Big 4 recruit year round and they snaps physics grads up like it's going out of style. Beign able to do maths, work with numbers and read simple fucking graphs puts you ahead of 95% of job hunters and grads out there.
>>
>>76115926
>Arizona State University

literally University of NWO. I live in walking distance of this crazy place.
>>
>>76116524
Absolutely
>>
>>76117291
Data analysis is largely math. He'd probably have to take another couple years and even then the field is highly competitive thanks to all the stem bloat and people who went into that field in the first place
>>
>>76115926
You should consider pursuing chemical or mechanical or materials engineering
>>
File: 1464892636752.jpg (102 KB, 600x820) Image search: [Google]
1464892636752.jpg
102 KB, 600x820
>>76117934

Doesn't work like that in the UK and Ireland, Most general grad programs - with some exceptions - accept people from any degree discipline i.e. you don't need to have gone to business school to get a job in finance. The Big 4, for example, accept any degree but place a premium on those with "qualitative" skills so HR place you on higher footing if you have a degree in something like physics. A physics degree makes you very employable here; you're not locked into working in a physics-related field.
>>
>>76118517

*quantitative, not qualitative
>>
File: vangaal.jpg (102 KB, 807x527) Image search: [Google]
vangaal.jpg
102 KB, 807x527
>>76117291
I write software in my spare time. That's the type of work I'll be looking for in future.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.