[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was wondering how the ((())) meme found its way to twitter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
I was wondering how the ((())) meme found its way to twitter and I found this.

https://mic.com/articles/144228/echoes-exposed-the-secret-symbol-neo-nazis-use-to-target-jews-online

The article credits the Daily Shoah with inventing the meme in 2014. This is wrong. It came from /prog/ in the 00s.

For anybody who doesn't know /prog/, it was 4chan's programming text board. The board had developed a cult around the book Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (SICP) and its associated programming language Scheme.

Scheme is a dialect of Lisp, which is infamous for using parenthesis as the only real syntax, thereby relying on them excessively. Every expression in Scheme begins and end with parenthesis. A long expression with several nested expressions will typically end with an absurdly long string of ending parenthesis. It became a meme on /prog/ to emphasize the absurdity by replying to posts containing such code with a quote containing only the offending sequence. e.g.

> ))))))))))))))))

Scheme and Lisp became referred to as (((SCHEME))) and (((LISP))). Even the authors of SICP became known as (((Sussman))) and (((Ableson))). The Jewishness of those two names is what likely led to the parenthesis being associated with Jewishness.

/prog/ being an unmoderated board, there was lots of off-topic discussion, a lot of it centered around Jewish conspiracies. Two reoccurring topics in particular were that set theory and the concept of infinity were inherently bogus because they originated from Jewish mathematicians. Any idea on /prog/ could be discredited by pointing out that its originator is Jewish. If the originator has an obviously Jewish name, this could be done tersely by enclosing it in parenthesis.
>>
Wyt
>>
File: next poster.png (149 KB, 797x740) Image search: [Google]
next poster.png
149 KB, 797x740
>>76051496
ok
>>
>>76051496
>(((Cooper Fleishman)))
>>
i'll take your word for it OP. i went there once and saw a bunch of shitposting then left.
>>
>>76051496
(((Yoshua L'Chaimberg)))
>>
>>76051496
Fucking racist programming nerds.
>>
>>76051496

>set theory
>bogus

Explain why SQL works if set theory is bogus.
>>
File: 1464760960643.jpg (101 KB, 858x880) Image search: [Google]
1464760960643.jpg
101 KB, 858x880
>>76051496

Actually, this bit of history is fascinating. Are there any archives?

On a side note, it's AMAZING that Jews think they're "taking back the signal" from the alt-right, but in reality, they are amplifying it.

Parentheses weren't a gesture of hate—they were a gesture of awareness.
>>
>>76052510
Little Marco now has an echo detector

If only he had it in time to keep from getting jewed out of his campaign
>>
(((((((((((((((((((((-_-)))))))))))))))))))))))))

ferengi were behind it all along
>>
>>76052986
What a large hand she has.
>>
>>76051496
>the concept of infinity
>inherently bogus because they originated from Jewish mathematicians
I-I don't think that's true.
>>
>>76052986
Somebody crawled the site and posted a sqlite archive.

http://web.archive.org/web/20131209221933/http://bbs.progrider.org/files/archives/prog-20130813130608.db.xz

I don't know if anybody ever made a mirror.

http://bbs.progrider.org/prog/ is where many of the /prog/riders went after the text boards were shut down. I never used it, but at first glance it looks like much of the same culture and memes have lived on. Except of course that it's actually moderated. The original /prog/ was much more antisemitic, particularly because of one Russian poster who spent every waking hour spamming Jewposts, but he got a job and left just because the board was shut down.
>>
>>76053881
As usual my compatriots make me proud in most unexpected ways.
>>
File: 1460563313608.jpg (43 KB, 636x382) Image search: [Google]
1460563313608.jpg
43 KB, 636x382
>>76053881

Whoa, thank you!
>>
>>76051496

Pretty much, I remember it clearly. I also remember parenthesis symbolizing virtual ((((HUGS))))). So they are parenthesis of peace. :^)
>>
>>76051496
what else can i use le echo maymay for mr meme master???
>>
>>76051496

The first thing that came to my mind when I read that article was (((LISP))).

What happened to /prog/?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.