[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/POL/ BTFO ON BREXIT, how can you ever recover
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
/POL/ BTFO ON BREXIT, how can you ever recover
>>
>>75876312
Isn't the house of Lords kind of irrelevant?
>>
>>75876312
We should have a House of Lords.
>>
The House of Lords is a good thing because it's filled with redpilled people who turn down any bullshit legislation.

Keep it, don't abolish it.
>>
>>75876723
You have. It's just called another thing and kept out of public eye
>>
>>75876312
Half your legislature is unelected? Who are they then? How is that okay?
>>
>>75876723
It's called the Rabbinical Council of America
>>
>>75876312
>we have 2 bad things, why get rid of 1 of them if we have 2 LOL???
>>
>>75876773
/thread
It's filled with actual Brits and not Jews
>>
>>75877406
Thanks anon, that's exactly what I wanted to verbalise but couldn't.
FUCK that logic makes me mad though.
>>
>>75876723
Senators weren't up for popular election until the 17th amendment, instead they were appointed by states.

It put them somewhere inbetween scotus and house reps in terms of having to bow to popular opinion instead of doing what they thought was right.
>>
>>75876312
Elected officials in the EU have no legislative power, elected officials in the UK do.
Unelected bureaucrats in the EU have all legislative power, unelected lords are mostly appointed by elected officials and have lost most of their legislative power over the centuries.
>>
File: 1464166199446.jpg (274 KB, 721x887) Image search: [Google]
1464166199446.jpg
274 KB, 721x887
The Commons can in theory overrule the Lords.

As Blair threatened to do on more than one occasion. And he'd have done it, too, creating all sorts of mayhem.

I recon we could elect the Lords via PR. Keep the Commons FPTP for stability, and have the legislative checks and balances represent the populist vote?
>>
>>75877059
You know your Supreme Court Justices? Sort of like that. Sort of.
>>
>A House that checks the power of the government of the day and can be bypassed if the government really wants to force through particular is undemocratic

The HoL stopped plenty of 'anti-terror' legislation in the 00s which was unpopular with the public, probably the same shit this kid would cry RAYCIS at if the Tories tried the same today. Furthermore the idea that everyone must be elected for institutions to be democratic is absurd. Elections aren't an automatic sign of democracy, everyone is well aware of the elections for the European Parliament. Heck, most of the Brexit camp serve as MEPs. The issue is how legislative power is assigned amongst the elected and unelected officials and how the checks and balances favour the latter.

And even if this fuckwit was right, I'd prefer to have a domestic undemocratic institution rule over me than a foreign one.
>>75876773

This. House of Lords reform is the most tyrannical bullshit going. The Lords have loads of experience, particular in law, and can judge legislation without the strong party ties that MPs have. Most MPs are rely on the party to win and maintain their seat and will toe the party line meaning the government dominates the House of Commons, particularly if they have a very strong majority. 'House of Lords reform' is basically code for 'waaagh they killed our shitty unpopular legislation decades ago'.

I'm sure there's more to be said but I'm pretty tired today and idiots that shit over the House of Lords really piss me off so I've probably lost some coherency in this post.
>>
>>75878727
I like this idea very much Anon, hold on to it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.