[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Common Core Explained
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: calvinandhobbesmath-algebra.jpg (29 KB, 800x260) Image search: [Google]
calvinandhobbesmath-algebra.jpg
29 KB, 800x260
It shouldn't take a PhD to explain it, but it almost makes sense.

https://youtu.be/X_CK1e0Lmxw

Thoughts? Is it all a jewish ploy? Is there something to it?
>>
>>75659994
I think it's important to teach kids why something works and the fundementals of it,
instead of just forcefeeding them the method or algorithm of how to do it,
without them really understanding what's going on.

It will really help them later on in live.
The video explains it really well actually.
>>
I think you should teach each student individually in a way that THEY, SPECIFICALLY, will understand it best.

I do like the visual representation he did, though, because that just blends perfectly into other aspects of math that many people just can't wrap their heads around and are absolutely necessary for many careers.
>>
>>75659994
The beginning of the video certainly explained why I failed at math.
When I revised some elements of it after I finished high school suddenly I realised that I never had a clue what I was actually doing.
>>
math without visualizations is just algorithms
>>
The concept is great, but the application in classrooms is garbage.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 225x350
Calvin and Hobbes is the greatest print media ever devised by man.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>75659994

my only problem with it is that it forces all kids to use the approach.

there are plenty of kids who can learn to do math quickly without needing to break it down like common core does. those kids are just being forced to waste their time.
>>
File: jon6_GIF.gif (15 KB, 600x196) Image search: [Google]
jon6_GIF.gif
15 KB, 600x196
>>75662823
I can't.
>>
>>75659994
WTF IS THIS SHIT
45X24 IS 45 TIMES 24 IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND HOLY FUCK IM A #CRUZMISSILE NOW
>>
>>75659994
I'm not American. Should I even care about common core?
>>
>>75662823
>what is nedroid
>>
>>75659994
This video isn't showing messed up methods. However many steps this takes, and your approach still give you the correct answer. What people had issues with were the approximate answer math that only taught kids to get close to the real result.

Another is the telling kids to be "flexible" but only writing out how they solved it in one particular way. It enforces a kind of grammatical correctness that doesn't really show that the student understands the math better.

Also there is an issue of if each state should simply be allowed to set it's own standards in education and if common core is overreaching.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.