[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you believe in the Solar power hype?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 299x168
Are we close from ending our reliance on the Electric Jew? Alot of people are saying that with improving battery technologies, we could easily have off the grid power Solar power in most hoiseholds by the 2030s. But I have a feeling theres a catch, like solar will have to be subsidised by Tax payers for it to be competitive with coal power.
>>
>>75539852
India and China are heavily building solar panels.

I personally have invested 20k in solar stocks
>>
File: images.jpg (21 KB, 416x354) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
21 KB, 416x354
>>75539924
>Mountain Jew
>i should trust the opinion of a person with a direct conflict of interest
>>
>>75540777
http://www.climatechangenews.com/2016/04/18/solar-is-now-cheaper-than-coal-says-india-energy-minister/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_China
>>
>>75539852
Harnessing the power of the sun is a no brainer. It's a infinite source of power. Of course infinite means cheap which Globailists dont like.

An area of the Sahara desert the size of a door will absorb more energy from the sun in 30 minutes than the human race will use as a whole over the period of a year.
>>
>>75540974
>It's a infinite source of power.
inb4 so autismo freaks out that the Sun will go out at some point.

>Of course infinite means cheap which Globailists dont like.
http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/19/solar-energy-arizona-net-metering
>"...a fee of up to $100 per month for the privilege of selling excess power back to the grid."

Pic related
>>
>>75539924
>>75540974
>>75539852

There is no way to make solar competitive without heavy subsidies or penalties to dirty forms of electricity production.

Not that I'm against heavily taxing coal power.
>>
>>75539852
Solar is getting better, but it's still expensive (to produce the panels) and inefficient.
It's much more promising than wind power imo, but has a way to go. Nuclear is still best.
>>
>>75541427
Which is why solar isn't replacing dirty fuels now.

Right now solar panels are at a point where its a compensative power. As the tech improves over the next decades it might replace dirty for houses.

Its an interesting subject to read about and is actually making progress unlike wind farms.
>>
Photovoltaic manufacturing creates a lot of toxic waste
>>
File: Jew.gif (4 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Jew.gif
4 MB, 480x270
>>75539852
No Thorium?
No Cold Fusion?
Okay >:¬l
>>
The efficiency of them is pretty shit at the moment, plus the life cycle of the panels as well. Theres some decent advancements such as perovskites and dye sensitised solar cell, but still they're a long way off being viable.
>>
>>75541616

One of the biggest things that red pilled me was getting a Physics degree and realizing how ill informed progressive energy policies are.

People with solar panels think they are the solution but in reality they are just feeling good about buying an overly expensive system that won't work large scale. Forcing people to subsidize a system that mathematically CAN'T work large scale is MADNESS.

You're basically one of those people who separate their recyclables to feel good, despite the fact that most companies just recombine them for transport.
>>
>>75541616
I know people who design wind farms. They are a great way to genocide birds.
>>
>>75542044
>They are a great way to genocide birds.
Like i give a fuck
>>
>>75542044
Skyscrapers are the best way to genocide Birds
>>
>>75541758
>meme nuclear fuel and mid 20th century science breaking meme
droppped
>>
>>75542207
I don't either, I think it's hilarious that someone's job is to clean up the bird corpses.
>>
>>75541758
>thorium
>cold fusion

These technologies are too impractical and complex to be discussed properly, and you won't find nuclear scientists here.

> >:¬l
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27 KB, 600x600
>>75542275
I thought Anti-Matter was the Gateway to Ultimate Power or was it juz Kike Propaganda

`,:¬(
>>
File: 1460819149680.jpg (16 KB, 200x303) Image search: [Google]
1460819149680.jpg
16 KB, 200x303
>>75540974
>An area of the Sahara desert the size of a door will absorb more energy from the sun in 30 minutes than the human race will use as a whole over the period of a year.
>>
>>75542593

You question what Ahmed says, you racist?
>>
>>75542593
You sound like a solar roadways supporting retard.
>>
File: allinone.jpg (60 KB, 949x430) Image search: [Google]
allinone.jpg
60 KB, 949x430
My plan is to float a 100km collecting farm in the Indian Ocean; solar, wind, and tidal power collection along with desalinization plant for fresh water and utilize the salts and minerals for industrial uses. A fish farm for growing food.
>>
>>75541378
>>It's a infinite source of power.
>implying solar panels don't wear out
>solar panel don't require a shit load of rare metals that require the use of oil based machinery to aquire
>>
> A lot of people are saying that with improving battery technologies.
Only battery technologies for some reason did not progress as would be necessary in the past decades. Right now a $1 million dollar battery can hold $50 worth of electricity.

Other types of storage aren't better. Converting electricity to hydrogen or methane has >50% losses. Hydro storage requires huge amounts of water. For a fun exercise, calculate how big is the pumped storage you need to put in your backyard just to save enough electricity to run your fridge or whatever appliances through the night - you'll be surprised.

Also the proponents always try to distract you with buzzwords like "off-grid", suggesting that the energy problems are somehow solved in the households. People need to realize that household consumption of electricity in developed countries is something like 25%. The industry and transport needs a lot more.

Also people forget that large thermal/nuclear power plants are necessary to keep the grid synchronized. Their huge turbines provide a stable frequency with a huge inertia. Photovoltaics (and batteries!) produce DC power that needs to be converted to AC by an inverter before it can be pushed into the grid. These inverters need a stable frequency from the grid to lock in. If the number of large power plants goes down, the synchronization will be more likely to become unstable and destroy the entire grid in seconds.
>>
>>75543272
>in the Indian Ocean
>solar panels fail do to poo
>>
>>75543441
they also need to be washed regularly.
>>
>>75539852

I'm for solar to hydrogen. Then you can pipe it anywhere with not loss of energy; unlike transporting energy by electrical wire...

Russia is banking on it. They are projecting carbon neutrality by 2045.
>>
>tfw no nuclear power, the cleanest power on earth
>>
>>75541427
Bear in mind in most western countries fossil fuels are currently heavily subsidised too.
>>
Germany already dumped 250 billions in subsidiaries bullshit like this to reduce CO2 Emissions, effect: literally zero.

We still have to run coal-burning and nuclear power plants to fill in for fluctuations in wind and sun energy, and if there's an oversupply we need to sell the energy for a loss.

It doesn't work energy is no 0,31€/KWH thanks to this crap.
>>
>>75543798
errr, examples?
If you mean coal subsidies - they existed only to offset the costs of labor in domestic mining over the costs of shipping it somewhere like Australia. It's the subsidizing of the miner jobs, not fuel consumers.
>>
>>75539852
I have half my roof covered because it was supposed to cut my electric bill in half. It doesn't, really. I went from paying $120 per month to $95ish per month.

I don't know if my experience is common, but I don't think they're worth it.

Anyway, there is absolutely no way that solar is going to be the standard by the 2030s without enormous-- and I mean absolutely fucking enormous-- leaps forward in technology. The problem is that the panels we have now are both expensive and inefficient. They only capture energy at about 22% efficiency. Unless they can be pushed to at least 40% WITHOUT an increase in average energy usage (which absolutely won't happen, especially as electric car ownership increases), we'll still need a more extensive source of energy. I just hope that we switch to nuclear by then.
>>
>>75539852
It's not too bad IMO, literally free energy after fitting all the panels. My father's company has a 500kW solar grid on top of their buildings for personal use, which is pretty cool.

Still hydroelectricity is a lot better, cleaner, and less prone to interruptions
>>
>>75543710
How is it clean if you have to look after the waste for a 100,000 years?
MUH Thorium doesn't count
>>
File: 3d059b080b_dysonsphere_06.jpg (26 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
3d059b080b_dysonsphere_06.jpg
26 KB, 500x514
Don't worry guys, in 200 years time we'll have pic related.

Oh I just realised it's 2016. Which means white people wont exist in 200 years time. I guess when all whites are gone Tyrone and Ahmed are just going to nuke each other anyway.
>>
>>75539852
If you compare it to others natural source of energy yes, it's promising.
>>
>>75540974
Wow... And I thought American educations were bad.
>>
File: fusion_power_plant_en.jpg (39 KB, 664x294) Image search: [Google]
fusion_power_plant_en.jpg
39 KB, 664x294
fuck solar energy, this is the future:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power
>>
>>75544342
Why 100000 years? With current technology, HAW only needs 500-1000 years to go below background radiation level.
cadmium telluride from the photovoltaics however will never decay.
>>
As long as we are under Zionist rule, there will be no progess
>>
>>75539852

I actually approve solar energy. The sun is there, it's provide unlimited power, why not tap it?

Energy production may be low and expensive, but it's worth for something that doesn't run out. I just wonder if maintenance isn't also costly.
>>
>Are we close from ending our reliance on the Electric Jew?
We've never REALLY been absolutely reliant on the Electric Jew. Gasoline generators have always been a thing, and a viable option for living off-grid. But the electric Jew has always been more cost-effective due to economy of scale and the advantages of a power grid. Solar PV might change the former, but I strongly doubt batteries will change the latter.
>we could easily have off the grid power Solar power in most hoiseholds by the 2030s.
You could have it RIGHT NOW, if you want. But solar power linked to the grid is still the better option.

But in any case, there's no denying it at this point. Solar is fucking happening.
>>
>>75545365
It's expensive but the price of the materials/maintenance decrease over time.
>>
>>75539852
Hue, no.
>>
File: interdasting2.jpg (58 KB, 525x503) Image search: [Google]
interdasting2.jpg
58 KB, 525x503
>>75541972
You mean, you can't just build a massive solar farm in the middle of the desert and power an entire nation?
>>
>>75539852

That's a shit tactic. Solar grids, when used in massive scale, cause a LOT of heat. You'd be cooking the planet.
>>
>>75539852
No. Nuclear is the only way forward away from Coal and Oil.
>>
>>75541616
Production of solar panels is still dangerous to nature if you want to argue the "cleanliness" of them.
>>
>>75541713
This
>>
Economic geophysicist here

Btw, there aren't enough raw materials to allow for world wide solar at these population levels. Advances in solar efficiency have somewhat stagnated and will be nowhere near economically viable on a large scale.
>>
>>75541713
A solar farm big enough to power a city would require a fucking fleet of diesel trucks to constantly drive around it transporting people and equipment to keep them all clean.
>>
>>75547116
Perovskite solarcells are the future, they have a greater efficiency potential ,and theyre atleast 80 percent less expensive than silcon based PVs.
>>
>>75546885
Sure I won't argue that. But is it any worst than coal? That fucks up a lot of people a year. Even nuclear is dangerous when done half assed and currently has no long term plan to dump it. Solar isn't perfect but its a step.

>>75541972
Anon I'm sure people said the same thing when gas powered vehicles were introduced to replace the horse.

Solar is a good idea. Where liberals fuck up is that they push it hardcore when it just isn't ecnomially viable. You can't push new tech like that. Its like trying to get 1980s/90s style cell phones into everyone's home.

The tech gains are slow but at least the government is realizing that pure subsides alone won't cut it.

And maybe solar turns out to be an entire false start. Whats the alternative? Keep a thumb up our ass and hope new tech falls out of the sky? You don't make progress like that. History only remembers the winners but never the number of failures to get to that point.
>>
>>75548388
I agree
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.