[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metric vs Imperial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: impmet.jpg (79 KB, 923x866) Image search: [Google]
impmet.jpg
79 KB, 923x866
Americans, it took a lot for you to back down and admit you were wrong about this one. I respect you for that.

At least now we can all look back and laugh about the time you thought the Imperial system could, in any way, be superior.
>>
>>75057091
Feet and Inches are better for human height
MPH is better for distance
sqkm is better for area
liters are better
celsius is better
don't you guys use yards for soccer?
ounces are useless
>>
>>75057091

metric is taught and used at college level - all engineers and scientists basically use it in the US.

its the blue collar field guys in these industries (so engineers have to accommodate) and commoners that hold on to english units.
>>
>>75057607
Also, MDY is better. A mix of both systems are better.
>>
>>75057091
It's better for everyday use. We use metric in all scientific applications, and imperial for our general use. It's perfect. Do you want me to laugh at you for having such retarded measures as "Stone"?
>>
>>75057845
>>>75057845
>Do you want me to laugh at you for having such retarded measures as "Stone"?

Again, i'm glad we can all laugh about how silly the Imperial system is.
>>
>>75057810
>MDY is better

Please refer to above graph
>>
>>75057091
Canadian mix is best mix.
>How much does x weight?
150lbs
>How fast are you going?
100km/h
>How tall are you (person)
6'
>How hot is it outside?
22 degrees, t-shirt weather
>How much pop is in that bottle?
2L
>>
>>75058088
Go complain to someone else. IF the UK still uses Stone,MPH,Yards, Feet, you can't talk. Come back when you're fully metricated.
>>
>>75057091
Fahrenheit is better for measuring human comfort.
>>
>>75058274
stone?
>>
>>75057803
This, even in my intro engineering classes, these are stressed.
>>75057810
MDY is stupid, I always end up flip-flopping the order of dates because I never got it through my head that we should be doing it the american way, and yet everyone sees dates in the american way. Caused for some annoying complications when my professors thought I turned in an assignment late or something.
>>
>>75058316
I've just been trying to think of a time i've struggled with using celcius to measure human comfort. I'll get back to you when I remember
>>
>>75057803
The jews are trying to keep the lower classes retarded.
>>
>>75057607
That's basically the system we use here. It's mixed. Meters for really tall things, feet for humans, km^2 for large areas, litres for liquids except fuel, celsius for temperature. Velocity is km/h though and distance is in km.
>>
>>75058501
America is warm, maybe he means 80 degrees is like 80percent happy? Dunno senpai, the mind of an american is an enigma.
>>
>>75057091
They're both equally arbitrary. Metric makes better use of prefixes but that doesn't make the base units any less arbitrary.

Natural units are the only units with a universal, consistent basis. But they're also typically too large or too small to be used practically.

In an age where everyone has calculators, computers, conversion algorithms yadda yadda yadda, it ultimately matters very little which particular set of units you use.
>>
>rollercoaster_of_awesome.jpeg
>>
>>75058623
DR uses Feet?
>>
>>75058990
For carpentry, a few other professions, and small heights, like human height.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.