[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Millennial Generation: A Heroic Generation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: 1447742197375.jpg (81 KB, 600x860) Image search: [Google]
1447742197375.jpg
81 KB, 600x860
According to Strauss Howe, Anglo-American history can be defined as series of generation of 20 years a piece. These can be group into fours, which are called a "Saeculum". These are defined by series of "Turnings", which consists of:

High: Time of peace and prosperity. Most recently, the immediate years after WW2.
Awakening: Time of moral change and rebellion. Most recently, the 60's and 70's.
Unraveling: Time of happenings, increasing in number and severity. For example: WW1 and the Roaring 20's
Crisis: The Greatest Happening of them all. Last example: the Great Depression and WW2.

These all marks the various generations into various archetypes depending on what time of life they encounter each turning. So a generation born under High would be a Prophet generation. They grow up under a strong society and its institutions, and try to reform them for the better. The most recent example is the Baby Boomers. Those that grow up under a Awakening live under a society and its institutions under attack and are thus jaded and cynical; Generation X is the most recent example; the Lost Generation came before them. Strauss and Howe called them a Nomadic generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory

During the 1990's in which they formulated their theory, they suggested that Anglo-America was undergoing an Unraveling, which would finally go into Crisis mode by 2005. Thus, the children growing up as a Heroic Generation "come of age as team-oriented young optimists during a Crisis, emerge as energetic, overly-confident midlifers and age into politically powerful elders attacked by another Awakening." The previous such generation is G.I. "Greatest" Generation.

Do you think this is true? Do you think the Millennials have what it takes to allow the world to survive another Great Happening?
>>
lol no
>>
>>74813781
>lol no

Please explain.
>>
>>74813852
You had better hope Gen X can hold it together for a while longer is all i can say.

80's child here.
>>
there's been peace and prosperity for forever in america, we didn't get less productive in the 90's. unless we're talking purely social problems.
>>
File: basic-generations-chart.gif (180 KB, 1200x815) Image search: [Google]
basic-generations-chart.gif
180 KB, 1200x815
>>74814540
>You had better hope Gen X can hold it together for a while longer is all i can say.
>80's child here.

In their typology, Strauss and Howe say the Crisis will occur in 2020 and be resolved by 2025.
>>
File: 1459568758919.jpg (22 KB, 540x270) Image search: [Google]
1459568758919.jpg
22 KB, 540x270
>tfw you missed the GWOT

I turned 18 in 2010 but it didn't even occur to me to join.

Now I'm 24 and I don't know if it's worth signing up. What if the peace sticks? I don't want to pound gravel in Tennessee for four years.
>>
>>74815045
We are certainly heading into Crisis mode Boomers have gone completely fucking mental.
>>
>>74815361
>We are certainly heading into Crisis mode Boomers have gone completely fucking mental.

Note that both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush were born in 1946; Obama is 1951.

Donald J. Trump: b. June 14, 1946
Hillary Clinton b. October 26, 1947
Bernie Sanders b. September 8, 1941

When will America get a non-Boomer president?
>>
>>74813220
But we experienced no crisis at all, unless you consider the financial """"crisis"""" of 2008, which was nothing compared to the likes of even the dot-com bust earlier.
>>
>>74815045
In 2020, US census- electoral delegates are re-drawn. The latest influx of shitskins will give liberal states more votes. It will be up to heroic young men to save America.

Save America. Save the world.

Interesting.
>>
>>74813220
This is tumblr tier nonsense. History isn't cyclical nor is it a straight line.
>>
>>74816088
>But we experienced no crisis at all, unless you consider the financial """"crisis"""" of 2008, which was nothing compared to the likes of even the dot-com bust earlier.

There's was 9/11 four years before (and Katrina that years, although that was mainly adding to the gloom).

And the Great Recession was/is much worse than the Dot-Com bubble.
>>
>>74816403

Opps, wrong image.

Although I think that show where the next crash is going to come from.
>>
>>74813220

More like an hero generation.

Once they see how fucked they are.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.