[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So obviously "free college for everyone" is a terrible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
So obviously "free college for everyone" is a terrible idea, but I do want to float an idea here (I'm just ballparking some of the numbers to give a gist of what I feel would be appropriate policy).

Would any of you have any serious objections to the U.S. Government paying for the College of People who meet the following criteria:

>Dependents on a family making <$250,000/year
>SAT score of at least 1200 (~1500 for Old SAT)
>High School GPA of at least 3.0
>Maintain a GPA at University of at least 3.0
>Declare a major from a list (No "Ethnic Women's Basket Weaving." Limited to things such as STEM, Law, Medical School, etc.)

Are there any massive problems with this that I'm overlooking, or has the "Free College for everyone" meme just overshadowed a better idea?
>>
Free college ALREADY exists. If you work your ass off in highschool with exceptional grades you WILL get into college for free or on the cheap. There are plenty of grants and scholarships for people like this. What bernfags want though is the slacker C students to get in for free too
>>
>>73799237
it literally says, "free college for everyone"

does that exist?
>>
>>73799059
Oh and "free" college exists if you are a minority.
>>
>>73799059
>>Dependents on a family making <$250,000/year
if a family can't afford to send a kid to college on $80k a year they honestly deserve nothing

>>High School GPA of at least 3.0
>>Maintain a GPA at University of at least 3.0
both are largely irrelevant unless you control for the school they went to
>>
>>73799275

EVERYONE has a chance to get good grades and prove themselves valuable enough to warrant someone else paying for thier college. Everyone has an equal opportunity, but what faggots like bernie wants is equality of outcome which is retarded commie shit.
>>
>>73799059
Change <$250,000 to <$100,000 and 3.0 to 3.5 and I would be fine with this.
>>
File: Capture.png (9 KB, 589x112) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
9 KB, 589x112
>>73799059

ITS NOW OR NEVER POL!
>>
>>73799059

Why can't they just get a job to pay for college? Why do liberals hate the idea of paying for goods and services with your own money so much?
>>
I honestly think we need to rethink the entire university structure.

A four year degree is not necessary for most fields, and in fact can dilute the concentration.

A computer engineer doesn't really need chemistry classes. Teach the engineer how to code, do encryption, etc.

Somebody who wants to work as a diplomat will need language training, an understanding of economics, and some cultural training. If the diplomat wants to work in Africa, anthropology would be good to study. If they want to work in Europe, there's no fucking reason to make them sit through an anthropology class.

If you want to be an artist, there are certain techniques you should take classes for. But going to art school full time for 4 years is idiotic, and can actually slow you down - instead of learning every way Jesus was depicted in Medeival Italy, you should be practicing your technique.

Programs need to be boiled down to what is absolutely necessary. Art school should be a one year thing artists do after they already have experience and know what they need to work on. Instead of political science or international relations, people should be given language and economic training, then be given culture training in the host country. This whole thing would take 2 years.
Computer Engineering should take 2 years. Nuclear engineering might take 6. The idea they should have a uniform amount of training for different fields is ridiculous.

For things like creative writing and business, they should mostly be apprentice programs, with a few courses thrown in for essential skills that require formal instruction.

The one size fits all format is ridiculous and has failed. You can't think it's a good idea to give the same educational experience to a physics engineering major and a ceramics major.
>>
>>73799059
I don't understand why they want to nake the gov pay for college when it's obvious that the system overcharges for school. Why not tell universitys to stop acting like for profit schools and stop raising fees.
>>
>>73799059
There is no problem with free college if you make it conscription based. We pay you for specialized training in fields that we have a need to fill... you guarantee 4-10 years working moderate wages until your "debt" is paid.

It's pretty much the only way health care is going to work, as demand already greatly outpaces the number of workers available.

You want free med school, you become a Government doctor.

Simple. Since the demand for Feminist Revisionary Jewry is almost zero, you don't get free college for useless degrees.

>>73799237
>he isn't white
>>
>>73799059
Obviously if you have the government pay for college fully, you have to restrict entry.
The further problem is that, 70%-80% of the population will be paying taxes and what not for the other 20-30% of the population to go to college. This means the only way to implement anything close to free college would be to alienate the common man and deny democracy to the people, or give the common man less say in the democratic process (which is currently the case in Europe with its multiparty system).
>>
>>73799059

The only thing wrong with your idea is that it isn't really needed. People who choose a good degree can pay it off easily enough once they graduate. The people who has problems paying are the basket weaver degree earners.
>>
File: sxn.png (355 KB, 599x602) Image search: [Google]
sxn.png
355 KB, 599x602
>>73799059
How is free college a bad idea?
Works perfectly well for most European countries.
You have very little faith in your own system.
>>
>>73799706
>3.0 to 3.5 GPA
Do you even know how genuinely difficult it is to get an A- or A in college when you're a STEM major?
>>
I believe in free college for STEM majors and other people with good grades doing productive degrees and jobs

Anyone in liberal arts at this point should just be sent to the gas chamber until the system is reformed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RM1oTw6fPg

If you are going into business/marketing/some "soft science" you should have to pay.
>>
>>73801393
Taxes r bad, mkay? It's just anons will don't want to contribute to our society
>>
You can basically go to community college for free and learn a trade.
>>
>>73799981
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-28/you-can-t-work-your-way-through-college-anymore
>>
>>73799059
We'll literally have the next subprime because of your retarded college fees burgers.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/more-than-40-of-student-borrowers-arent-making-payments-1459971348
>>
>>73801440
If you're mentally deficient or you study one day in advance, maybe
>>
>>73801393
Because 80% of graduates are worthless lib arts majors who contribute nothing to society beyond SJW politics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7cwWegXCU

that's why only productive people (STEM grads, etc) should have free college.
>>
>>73799981
In France it's impossible. You're expected to study >60h, half of that in classroom to succeed. These are numbers officially set by the univ I'm at, and it was reduced recently. I don't know about the US but any less than this seems lazy to me.
>>
>>73801646
That literally has nothing to do with my argument. I'm talking about actual evidence that it's a bad thing when it works fine in Europe, rather than 'people do courses I don't like so they should pay, herpderp.'
>>
>>73799059
We must return to an earlier time.
>>
File: sanders little.png (30 KB, 298x106) Image search: [Google]
sanders little.png
30 KB, 298x106
>>
>>73799059
>>Dependents on a family making <$250,000/year
Too high of a threshold. And financial aid already exists for income-based need.

>>SAT score of at least 1200 (~1500 for Old SAT)
Racist!!!! People will whine that SAT tests are biased.

>>High School GPA of at least 3.0
But muh poor neighborhood with bad schools where kids can't help doing poorly.

>>Maintain a GPA at University of at least 3.0
ok

>>Declare a major from a list (No "Ethnic Women's Basket Weaving." Limited to things such as STEM, Law, Medical School, etc.)
Misogynist!!!! People will whine that this give preferential treatment to boys who are more likely to go into those areas of study.
>>
>>73799059
I wouldn't really oppose it. I went to college for free because I'm legally deaf. I went on to get a Pharmacology Doctorate, I recieved over 115k in benefits. Am I a leech?

I paid 43k in taxes last year, and i'm 26 fucking years old. They will get their money back 100 times over by the time I retire or die.

I had to meet a lot of these criteria, the school will pay for your college, provided you take at least 12 hours a semester and maintain a 2.5 GPA (I took 20+ and had a 4.0).

>>73801257
This is exactly what the military does. They also would pay for med or pharmacy school, provided you work for them for 'x' number of years afterwards, and you meet their standards (usually full course load with 3.0 GPA). It's a good deal for both parties.

>>73801440
That's the fucking point. You don't want dumbfuck niggers getting gubment money just to blow it. It should be seen as an INVESTMENT as in you will pay more in taxes and provide a service that is much greater than the monetary investment.
>>
>>73799059

Go fuck yourself you worthless leech.
>>
Why not focus on making more basic courses free online?
>>
>>73799059
There's a few changes I would make:

> >Dependents on a family making <$250,000/year.
I would change that to 100,000 dollars a year. I came from a family that made 90,000/year.

>High School GPA of at least 3.0
>Maintain a GPA at University of at least 3.0
GPA of 3.2.

>>Declare a major from a list (No "Ethnic Women's Basket Weaving." Limited to things such as STEM, Law, Medical School, etc.)
I would not fund someone who goes to law school. The modern law school is identity studies disguised to look more academic.
I would limit it to STEM and Medical School.
>>
>>73801752
>people do courses I don't like so they should pay, herpderp.'

No one wants to pay for it
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.