[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Austin kicks Rideshare out of Austin.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
Thanks for protecting us from Uber and Lyft, Austin City Council!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/technology/uber-and-lyft-stop-rides-in-austin-to-protest-fingerprint-background-checks.html

http://www.twcnews.com/tx/austin/news/2016/05/9/austin-leaders-divided-on-plan-to-bring-back-uber---lyft.html

http://kxan.com/2016/05/09/mayor-discusses-how-lyft-leaving-may-impact-citys-50m-grant/

>Austin may now lose a 50mil grant
>"B-B-Buh, they weren't supposed to leave!"

Fucking libshits ruin everything.
>>
Uber and Lyft are liberal companies that circumvent liberal laws.

Just call a fucking licensed taxi.

For fucks sake, the taxi ride probably costs the same as uber and the fucking taxi drivers are regulated up the asshole.
>>
I, too, could run a profitable company if I didn't have to obey laws that other companies did. Just sayin'.

Uber and Lyft are like the niggers of transport services.
>>
>>73601913
>Just call a fucking licensed taxi.

>pay minimum of 3x as much
>have dirty dune coon or nigger driving me in disgusting taxi

No thanks.
>>
>>73601913
>Just call a fucking licensed taxi.

Why the fuck would I want to pay 5x the amount for some dirty sand nigger to MAYBE show up 1 hour fucking later, who will throw a bitch fit the moment I try to pay with card?

>>73601914
>supporting TAXI unions

disgusting
>>
>>73602053

If are a democrat, SJW liberal you should be using a regulated taxi.

Lyft and Uber are too libertarian and free market... they circumvent the ideology of Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton.
>>
>>73602084

Because "sand niggers" don't drive Lyft or Uber cars... KEK!!!!
>>
File: 1456899639232.gif (3 MB, 260x170) Image search: [Google]
1456899639232.gif
3 MB, 260x170
>>73602326
I have yet to be in a Lyft that wasn't a white person, typically either a white Grandpa guy or a qt girl.

>first time taking a Lyft
>don't know what to expect but first ride is free so fuck it
>app is easy as fuck; just drop the pin and wait don't need to call or shit
>qt girl in BMW pulls up; oh shit it's my driver
>get in
>car is clean as fuck
>she has cell chargers for me
>gives me a fucking candy bar
>mfw

Anyone who even thinks this shit is debatable is a backwoods moron.
>>
>>73601914
These "laws" are protectionist crap meant to make doing business difficult for those who attempt threaten the status quo.
>>
>>73602522
>Anyone who even thinks this shit is debatable is a backwoods moron.

This. /thread
>>
>>73601832
>Reply
FUCK UBER AND FUCK LYFT

you have the right to do whatever you want, but ive watched multiple friends go from riding bikes and walking all the time, to blowing all their money catching ubers everywhere. its fuckign gay, and its literally undoing everything we did when we convinced people that they should ditch their dinosaur powered couch machines and walk around in nature instead.

although i do liek that it encourages drunks to get a ride, rather than drive themselves, or catch a taxi.

fuck taxi unions.
but also fuck uber
>>
>>73601832
I'm so sick of this bullshit and people saying "I have no other options besides Uber/Lyft".

Really? You take a taxi every fucking day? Austin isn't even that big of a city where in the hell do you possibly need to get to? There's a whole list of ways to get around:

City buses
light rail
biking (we have tons of bike lanes)
buy a scooter
rollerblade
walk for once in your miserable fat life
MAKE LITERALLY ONE FRIEND WHO OWNS A CAR
pedicabs

>but anon boo hoo boo hoo the bus is for niggers and homeless people
well your broke ass doesn't own a car, you're no better than them
>but anon what about when I want to get drunk
make a friend who owns a car, is that really hard for you?

Prop 1 wasn't about "banning" uber and lyft at all. A few months ago, the city council wanted to change the way those companies do BG checks. They wanted their system, U/L wanted their old system.

>but anon, the city just wants to force me to drive drunk so I die or get a DWI and I have to pay a fine
Oh, so it's another "city wide conspiracy by the evil people who want you to make bad choices" episode, huh?
>>
>>73602522
BUT ITS NOT REGULATED
>>
How do people come to rely on this shit so much?
Literally only use uber at 2am when I'm drunk.
>>
>>73602522
>Get picked up from airport
>Nice older guy (late 50's) in a new hybrid car
>Ask him how long he's been doing it for and why, generic conversation starter
>He says he's retired, just does it for some extra money he can send to his daughter to support her Doctors Without Borders work
>We have a good convo, I mention I'm glad that I could indirectly support a humanitarian cause

How anyone can say that Lyft and Uber are shit is seriously beyond me. Granted I only used them a few times a year to get back from the airports, looks like I'm back to asking friends because I'd stab myself before taking another Taxi or bus back home.
>>
>>73601914
Cab companies are the ones who helped pass bullshit crony laws to make sure other people can't compete with them, like that fucking medallion you need for your car which costs a few hundred thousand which only they can afford.

Fuck the cab company and their bullshit laws.
>>
File: burnitall.gif (166 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
burnitall.gif
166 KB, 500x281
>>73602645
>My friends make bad choices
>Fuck uber fuck lift
How about you get smarter friends, or you be a real friend and tell them to fucking walk you fucking bitch
>>
why is uber so opposed to background checks for there drivers?
>>
This is the perfect time to check out the twitter feed of Robert Morrow, the Travis County GOP chairman.
>>
>>73601914
more like cab companies are the kikes of transportation, shlomo.
>>
>>73602053
>try to go out on a weekend
>Uber/Lyft triples the prices
>>
File: 4473.png (64 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
4473.png
64 KB, 200x200
>>73602701
>City buses
Too bad they quit running at night.

>light rail

Perfect if you live in one of the three stops. it has

Your other points are just retarded so I won't even address them.

Also Prop 1 was just a ploy by CoA to get control over shit they had no business being a part of. You're a fucking idiot if you can't see that.

Also, yeah, I took Lyft every weekend because I actually have a social life here and $5-$10 to not have to deal with fucking parking was easily worth it.

>>73602897
Because it was convenient as fuck. A lot of business owners used it for their employees to. We're already seeing the effects across town; not only did the drivers lose their jobs, a lot of people can't get into work now, or are just being let off entirely because their employers can't deal with the TAXIs which, hur hur, are now our only option unless you are one of the lucky few like this faggot >>73602701
Everyone lives just of 5th and Congress.

>>73602943
>How anyone can say that Lyft and Uber are shit is seriously beyond me.

They've never used it, or were too retarded to figure out how the app works.

>>73603031
They already do Nationwide background checks that go back 15 years. Austin wanted them to use the Taxi background checks, that only go back 7 years and are only state wide. They're only argument was; HURDUR IT USES FINGERPRINTS!

It's moot though because Prop 1 was never about that shit; fingerprints was just a smoke screen. They also wanted a ridiculous amount of data from both companies, delivered monthly, tact on additional fees to all drivers + another fee for any airport rides. They wanted both companies to create a GeoFencing system that the city could activate at any time, and it was to be ready before the year was out. List goes on. Whole thing was retarded.
>>
>>73601832
what's the problem exactly? you can create a service like uber in a week
>>
>>73602701
>Really? You take a taxi every fucking day? Austin isn't even that big of a city where in the hell do you possibly need to get to? There's a whole list of ways to get around:

Austin isn't big but it's extremely complex owing to the fact that it is a victim of urban sprawl and has had little planning

>City buses
Which they've cut back on, most only come ever 45 minutes now. And the buses are complete shit here. I can tell you don't take them here.

>light rail
Wew lad

>biking (we have tons of bike lanes)
Yeah man I just love riding a bike in 100 degree humid weather in the summer

>buy a scooter
I figured you were an autist but this proves it

>rollerblade
See above comments

>walk for once in your miserable fat life
I love walking in 100 degree humid weather in the summer

>MAKE LITERALLY ONE FRIEND WHO OWNS A CAR
You mean a slave who drives you everywhere? Because that's what that "friend" would be.

>pedicabs
HAHAHA holy shit you are trolling hard my dude, but here's your (you) for your trouble.
>>
t. People who can't read

Nothings wrong with requiring drivers to do background checks, idk about you but I don't want to be driven by some criminal nigger.
>>
>>73601832
I was on vacation and they got me to sign the petition to keep them, don't know if it could even count seeing as I'm not a resident. But I like going to Austin, sucks that they're kicked out.
>>
File: 1392008769268.gif (926 KB, 250x197) Image search: [Google]
1392008769268.gif
926 KB, 250x197
>>73603445
see
>>73603315

also

http://kxan.com/2015/10/27/uber-drivers-who-failed-its-background-check-have-austin-issued-permit/

>TLDR: Austin Cab drivers who applied for UBER failed UBER's background check
>>
File: 1374176760922.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1374176760922.gif
2 MB, 300x300
>liberals claim background checks to buy a gun aren't infringement
>liberals call a background check requirement for Uber drivers "a time-intensive and costly burden"
>>
>>73603445

lol what a stupid fuck
>>
>>73603529
They'll be back. The fall back is already being seen.

A planned march for the 26th is scheduled as of yesterday, and 5,000 people have already signed up for it.

I also have a friend who is interning at City Hall, and he texted me that the amount of shit they are getting from calls and emails is insane. Not just from citizens either; a lot of corporations who relocated here and brought their employees who didn't have vehicles are fucking pissed to.

Basically CoA awoke a sleeping giant known as Silicon Valley.
>>
>>73603006
>enabling potential idiots to become true idiots
yea ok
>>
>>73603568
The fuck are you on? The liberals were the ones that wanted the Uber background checks you fuck.
>>
What kind of loser doesn't own a car in a place like Texas?

Good riddance anyway, I'd rather support local rideshares then uber.
>>
>>73603694
Great. A question though, what are the chances that this gets resolved in less than 2 weeks?
>>
>>73603870
>local rideshare

Cool non-existent entity.
>>
Isn't uber and similiar technically black labor?
>>
>>73603397
Biking is actually pretty refreshing in Texas. The speed you go ~10MPH average gives you a nice breeze. The sun is shitty since I have sensitive skin.

Also is that Austin guy that does Uber here? I loved that story about the woman getting arrested.
>>
File: large[1].jpg (101 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
large[1].jpg
101 KB, 500x291
>Austin
>>
>>73604109
it's different in america they applaud you more the less taxes you pay
>>
>>73603926
Not at all. We're looking at 6 months most likely. If not that then 2017.

Also seeing a lot of pic related.

>voting on shit when you have no idea what is going on
>>
tfw you'll never go drinking with ghost on sixth street
>>
>>73602522
That girl is losing more money on gas and vehicle depreciation than she's making with Lyft. I've been an uber driver and it was horrible and when you sit down and do the numbers, there were slow days where I'd gross 50 bucks but would end up really close to the negative.
>>
>>73603548
alright you convinced me fuck austin
>>
>>73604588
Maybe you were just fucking bad at it? I have a friend who did it full time and he was easily pulling in 1100 a week.

>gas and vehicle depreciation

It's called write off's m8. I bet you were a stupid fuck who didn't even know how to file quarterly.
>>
Austinite here - the anti uber/lyft camp ran a scam. They wrote the proposition language to be deceptive. Many people thought a YES vote would require Uber/Lyft to jump through extra hoops when it was really the opposite. The majority of people here support ride sharing, the councilors / taxi lobby ran a scam!
>>
>>73602645
don't blame uber for people wanting to be lazy
>>
I love how backwards america is with its policies. "The freer the market, the freer the people". Then you get actual entrepreneus challenging the norms and changing the game and all that goes out the window for some dirty cronyism and outdated unions and protectionist laws.
>>
>>73602522
one night out drinking with my friend. We get drunk (surprise!), bars closing, girls we were hitting on dropped numbers on us, but no ones getting laid tonight, we cant drive and my buddy says "fuck that noise" and calls an uber from his Uber app.
Car shows up, its a white guy about our age in a nice white car with leather interior ( I don't remember the brand). He is cool with us as he drives our drunk asses home.
This was my only experience with Uber, but it was awesome. infinitely better than a taxi
>>
>>73604336
Welcome to the horrors of democracy
>>
>>73605099
Governments from any country will run a scam. The city councilors here in Austin got bought off by the cabs, plain and simple.
>>
>>73601832
They didn't get kicked out.
They left on their own.
I voted yes on Prop 1.
Keep the government out of private business.
If people think that making do background checks are going to make them feel safer they shouldn't be using the service in the 1st place.
That being said, Uber and Lyft are still little bitches for leaving.
They stayed in Houston and NYC with required fingerprint background checks.
>>
>>73604336
>and feel good about that

Damned women voters.
>>
>>73602828
'Regulation' is just a government protection racket.
A market is self-regulating.
>>
>>73601832
Don't know about Lyft but every time I've heard of people using Uber its always been a pleasant experience. The same cannot be said for those I've talked to about taxis.
>>
>>73606142
I like both, but honestly speaking Lyft is way better than Uber. Lyft seems to make it a point of hiring qt's and giving out candy.
>>
>>73603286
>Higher demand raising prices is oppressive!
>It's my right to cheap rates!
>>
>>73603286
>Going to where filthy degenerate casuals go and complaining about paying more
>>
>>73602701
The lady in OP's post is obviously blind. I don't blame her for not wanting to use public transportation.
>>
>>73604336

>service has existed for like 5 years
>people acting like there's suddenly no other option to get anywhere

Can people not function anymore?
>>
>>73606142
ubers are cheap and the drivers are nice but they are even weaker drivers who still dont speak english and who dont know where to drop you off pick you up or the best way to get anywhere
>>
>>73606726
They can but why would they want to when a better service they've been using for half a decade is available?

That would be like the government declaring a ban on all air transportation, and then going, "WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?! WE DIDN'T ALWAYS HAVE PLANES!"
>>
This is only going to make traffic in austin 100 times worse than it already is.
>>
>>73607020
Not really
When they came to Austin it din't make a big difference except less DWI/DUIs and provided jobs for all the white hipsters with useless degrees.
>>
>>73601832
Why are they getting a "grant" for a private company to operate??
> Why not tax and license their own version?
>>
>big government over-regulation commie cunts from Commiefornia swarm your town
>ban BBQ smoke and Uber drivers
>everyone is somehow surprised
>>
>>73606740
>weaker

Confirmed for never using it. There's not a person alive that doesn't know how to use a fucking GPS.
>>
>>73601832
Texas retards
>>
>>73607322
>government version of rideshare

We already have it. It's called TAXIs.
>>
>>73604588
She's converting longterm vehicle value into cash that she can spend? Good for her.
>>
>>73601832
>Fucking libshits ruin everything.

Can you prove it's Liberals? They seem to love Uber and Lyft

And what the fuck happened to Texas that let Liberals in?

You retards probably still think Mexicans are Conservative.

It's not just Austin either. Houston is the biggest city with a fag mayor.
>>
>>73601913
Aren't Lyft and Uber made by Liberals?

I know Liberals love to use them. I wouldn't doubt it's to stay away from non-white drivers.
>>
>>73603286
>go out any day
>taxi rates are already tripled
>>
>>73601913
taxi unions pushed for this law because they were blown the fuck out by the free market
>>
uber violates the law by having letting people without taxi licenses taxi people around. the reason it's cheaper is because it circumvents this law. it doesn't matter that you don't have enough money for a taxi, and it doesn't matter if you don't feel like calling a taxi cab because the guy who drives it is a paki. if you want uber to be legal, then remove the law requiring taxi drivers to have a special license, instead of disregarding it
>>
>>73602701
typical liberal trying to ban options within the market. go back to cali faggot
>>
>>73607746
it's not the free market if team A is abiding by a law that causes them to have higher expenses, while team B doesn't abide by the law and therefore makes more money. you're retarded
>>
>>73601832
>>73607592
>>73607655
FACT: Uber started in San Francisco

FACT: Co-creator is Jewish

Now what, /pol/?
>>
>>73601832

Straight up "the taxi companies donated enough to get us to do this" shit.

I really hope the end result is Austin suffers for fucking this up, followed by reversing the decision and voting the offending councilpeople out.
>>
>>73607772
>uber violates the law by having letting people without taxi licenses taxi people around

Wrong.

They do not take street hails, so they are not taxis. They are a private car service, like limos. They operate within the letter of the law.
>>
people are all talking about "uber vs the taxi companies". can someone explain to me how uber isn't a taxi company that just doesn't make sure its drivers have a taxi license?
>>
I'm proud to say that I've never take a hipster cab (Uber, Lyft, etc...) in my life and never will. I'd rather support legal immigrant hard-working taxi drivers than stupid fucking lazy hipster millennials looking to make some extra weed money.
>>
>>73608169
>can someone explain to me how uber isn't a taxi company that just doesn't make sure its drivers have a taxi license?
That's a pretty significant difference, m8.
>>
>>73607867
Team B found a loophole that let them get ahead and exploited it.
>>
File: hipster numale.jpg (204 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
hipster numale.jpg
204 KB, 620x387
>>73608057
outside of cities, you don't hail taxis. you call a taxi company, and they send you a car. it's the same thing, you're just a numale who gets mad when his high tech iphone taxi company gets held to the same standard as dumb pleb taxis
>>
>>73607592
>You retards probably still think Mexicans are Conservative.

This, I am so tired of this bullshit narrative that shit fuck mexicans are conservative and family oriented, they are not!
>>
>>73608057
>They operate within the letter of the law.

Says you. Courts are split on the issue and there is much pending litigation. If they were, as you say, clearly operating within the letter of the law, all of these cases should've been dismissed for failure to state a claim, right?
>>
>>73602053
>pay minimum of 3x as much

BECAUSE of the liberal laws taxis have to obey and uber gets to ignore
>>
>>73608316
>outside of cities, you don't hail taxis. you call a taxi company, and they send you a car.

Irrelevant. What matters is what is in the law.

>you're just a numale who gets mad when his high tech iphone taxi company gets held to the same standard as dumb pleb taxis

Not an argument.

>>73608384
No, it is pretty clear that they operate within the law. Mudslime taxi companies are just maximum buttblasted at these companies, and liberals are running to save them.
>>
>>73608289
>>73608316
>>73608384
So do limo drivers have the same license at taxi drivers?
>>
>>73608169
uber is not a taxi service.

it's not an anything service.

uber is simply an app that connects independent contractor drivers with private parties who want to get somewhere. that's what they can always claim when it comes to their responsibility regarding anything to do with what actually happens in cars. they can say, "hey, we are just app developers, don't ask us ;)"

taxis hate this because they are subject to regulation as companies that own taxis, hire drivers, and have complete liability regarding the actual transport of passengers. they are transportation companies, not app developers. many cities also use a token system so larger taxi companies have invested huge amounts of money in their fleets.
>>
>>73608420
What laws? Don't taxi drivers just need a license and that badge?

Uber has lots of insurance and background checks.

Hell, I'd be more worried about truck drivers that only need a license to drive.
>>
>>73608482
>No, it is pretty clear that they operate within the law. Mudslime taxi companies are just maximum buttblasted at these companies, and liberals are running to save them.

But you can't say that because the issue is being raised in courts all across the country, and the courts are not dismissing the cases outright. You don't get to unilaterally declare that someone is operating within the law when courts haven't decided the issue. Are you even an attorney? Have you had any legal training?
>>
>>73603286

It's not our fault you work a shit job and can't afford a fluctuation from $7 to $20 for convenient transportation.

Then again, you most likely don't leave the house.
>>
>>73608373
What about Hispanics
>>
>>73607772
taxi company owners crying about a law they helped put in place. fuck off.
>>
>>73608827

It is all the same mess of shit subhumans.

Just look at their nations!

All of them are leftist as fuck.
>>
>>73608523
The best way to handle the Taxi system and phase it out would be to have cities buy back the medallions and then work out a plan to have drivers buy the vehicles they have been driving through a subsidized loan and allow all parties to get out from under the weight of economic pressure before it creates a disaster.
>>
>>73607867
laws that exist as barriers to entry are not free market
>>
>>73604385
addressing the real problems
>>
>>73602053
>>73602084
3-5x as much?

If my uber costs me $10, the taxi costs me $12. It's like a $2 extra fee.

Fucking poorfags. Go vote for Bernie and he will make blowjons payable with your wife's smelly cunt.
>>
>>73607867
they dont offer the same type of service retard, it is still illegal to hail an uber driver from the street. if team A doesnt think the law is fair then their busness strategy shouldnt have revolved around maintaining a strangle hold on licensing.
>>
>>73608202
Taxi shill please leave
>>
>>73607867
if team A pushed for the shitty laws in the first place to throttle competition, they can eat a dick whether it's a free market or not
>>
>>73601832
UBer and Lyft are cancer for cancer
>>
>>73607950

Taxi Unions are more cancerous and degenerate than jews sharing rides.
>>
>>73609071
Said the fag without a car.
>>
>>73608373
Cubans actually are though, and since they are fleeing socialism they know first hand that it's bullshit.
>>
I live in Austin. A few observations
-uber/lyft ran the most annoying and offputting campaign possible
-the council cracked down on uber/lyft without campaigning on it/having a mandate
-Austin is a traffic disaster
-One of my friends got mugged after waiting on the street aftee it took 2hrs to get a taxi
-Another taxi driver attempted to sexually assault a drunk female friend. No way to figure out the driver.

I feel like the council, taxi companies, and the ride sharing services are all assholes.
>>
>>73608918
I've only been to Mexico and Guatemala and they are indeed shit countries.
I am however a conservative Hispanic who loves his family and his state and voted for Trump in the primaries.
I don't know if Libertarian falls under conservative still.
Same with my whole family and several of my Hispanic friends.
I will admit that the majority of millennial Hispanics in Austin are leftist shills. And I totally understand the stereotype.
Just know that there are a few of us good ones out there.
>>
File: lift.jpg (30 KB, 545x365) Image search: [Google]
lift.jpg
30 KB, 545x365
>>
>>73604127
>Biking is actually pretty refreshing in Texas. The speed you go ~10MPH average gives you a nice breeze

It is refreshing when it isn't July to mid September, I'll grant you that. I totally think you should ride a bike if it's close enough, but I can't bike to the store and the bus takes 75 minutes to get from where I live to where I work. Those are the fundamental issues of how the city is laid out.
>>73609071
>If my uber costs me $10, the taxi costs me $12. It's like a $2 extra fee.

From where I live to the airport, a Taxi costs me around $25. For an Uber or Lyft, it would cost me $12-14.
>>
>>73603322
And that's the problem.

Some corporate taxi company probably greased a liberal palm or 2, and got their competition knocked out.
>>
>>73609344
I like how Austin has decided that I-35, THE major thoroughfare for moving goods from Mexico to USA, is their personal roadway that they can block with traffic for 4 hours a day.
>>
>>73609561
Uber learned they need to buy politicians not voters. That's what the taxi companies did.
>>
>>73609071
Where the fuck are you from that a Taxi costs that little?

Also, in Austin it takes 1+ hour to get a cab. Uber/Lyft was instant.
>>
>>73609241
>>73609517
>>73609902
I live in Chicago. Might be different because we have thirty taxis on any given corner. Taxis legit cost me maybe 5% more and when you're talking in the 10-20's that's nothing.
>>
>>73610071
>I live in Chicago. Might be different because we have thirty taxis on any given corner.

Yeah, that is a very big difference. I'm sure it makes total sense to take Taxis in Chicago, but in Austin they're extremely unreliable. I remember trying to hail a Taxi on NYE a couple years ago and they just drove past me. Every year, taxis consistently can't meet the demand on NYE (nor can buses or pedicabs) and people are stranded for hours at a time.

We're already seeing the effects of Uber/Lyft leaving and it's going to get even worse starting Thursday/Friday.
>>
>>73601913
Then nothing to fear from Uber.
/discussion
>>
>>73609358
Fact remains that 80% of hispanics outside the US are leftist degenerates.
The only thing they have is hate for fags and niggers, otherwise they're a bunch of degenerates that couldn't care less about having economic stability.
>>
Why shouldn't the taxis have to meet the standards that uber has?
>rating the driver
>gps tracking of the driver
>gps routing to prevent scamming customers

It's very obvious that gps tracking is a huge safety bonus.
>>
>>73610590
Cuz

>Well I dun know about your fing fangled computer gizmos, with der bleep bloops and fancy whatch ma callits! But I do know this! Back in my day, we all were more dan happy to get ourselves fingerprinted for Uncle Sam and by golly, that's just what we did! Yeehaw!
>>
>>73610590
enjoy receiving no insurance when your uber driver plows into on coming traffic.

Muh free market.
>>
>>73611526
Free market means that's your risk to take.
>>
>>73603568
>>73603850
its a split of liberals, between the corrupt, and the lazy hipsters.
>>
How did this women get around before Uber/Lyft?

Two sides to the story:

1. City of Austin and Democrats do not want Uber to self police itself and want to do it themselves and to protect the local taxi monopoly but the city didn't have the money to enforce

2. Uber/Lyft are already gone and lost all of that revenue by not acting like sore losers
but at least lived up to their threat of leaving.

Again, Democrats/Liberals/City of Austin government ruins everything for us all.
>>
>>73611526
Take a regular taxi then and let the rest of us use ridesharing services, which will inevitably see insurances, in one form or another, in the near future.
>>
>>73607655

'Liberal' businesses don't practice what they preach (hypocrites)
>>
>>73611893
and the right has no consideration.
>>
>>73601832
So why don't they just fingerprint them again?
>>
lmao just use your own car
>>
>>73601832

>Leave Cali due to it being leftwing hellhole
>Make Austin leftwing hellhole like you just left

Why do liberals ruin everything and have no long term thought process?
>>
>>73601832
>Car's in the shop
>need a ride
>buddy unavailable
>download Über
>first ride free
>second ride was only 8$
I see no issue with Über.
>>
>>73607587
shut the fuck up
>>
>>73608373
American of beaner decent, I'm conservative.
>>
>>73602084
I've used Uber maybe half a dozen times and with one exception all my drivers were various shades of dune coon and mudskin
>>
>>73601832
"b-but at least we stopped the evil corporations"

literal vote motivation in election

along with
"these progressive groups say NO"

literal "your betters are telling you what to think"

All the slogans about Austin are shit, theirs a small group of connected assholes who run this town
>>
is austin really that big now that people need to be taken everywhere
>>
>>73602828
Not an argument
>>
>>73603397
>You mean a slave who drives you everywhere? Because that's what that "friend" would be.

so what would that make u/l driver?

You just took a shit in your mouth tard
>>
>>73601913
there's a plenty of reasons everyone in Austin hates the two Taxi companies.
>>
>>73601832
Never used uber or lyft once and I live in Austin. Most people use it when drunk and spend a shit ton of money. I always walk everywhere since it's free and helps sober you up.
>>
>>73612833
>so what would that make u/l driver?
Someone who's paid to do that.
>>
>>73612748
307.2 sq miles
>>
>>73608770
>>73607706
>>73606414
>>73606390
I love that each and every one of you missed his point. Good jobs boys.
>>
>>73602701
Seriously fuck you. I work downtown, so I don't drive so I don't have to pay for parking. When I get off at 2 am, the buses aren't running. Uber/lyft saved me time and money, now I'm paying at least 3x on taxis. Fuck you.
>>
File: 1341772638844.gif (574 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1341772638844.gif
574 KB, 200x200
>usa
>not owning your own car
>>
>>73602522
>Literally demanding that you be allowed to get into cars with strangers who give out free candy
I can tell you never had a father growing up.
>>
>>73603694
>I also have a friend who is interning at City Hall, and he texted me that the amount of shit they are getting from calls and emails is insane. Not just from citizens either; a lot of corporations who relocated here and brought their employees who didn't have vehicles are fucking pissed to.

this is good news. I wonder how that shithead Ben Wear will spin it
>>
Slock.it and the DAO will now come and make this impossible to shut down :)

Cyberpunks will rule the world!
>>
>>73603315
>meinnigger.jpg

Also manchaca all up in this bitch
>>
all these cars will be operating themselves soon and there won't be any need for stinky drivers
>>
>>73607592
>>73604336
see pic

typical Austin Liberal Voter
Votes Single Ticket and whatever the Chronicle supports that week
>>
>>73613060
To be fair downtown's only like 12 blocks. Maybe if you live in like South Austin or north of lamar you'll have issues but if you're in that area you can bike or bus anywhere.
>>
>>73601832
What's wrong with fingerprint background checks on drivers?
>>
>>73609517
Austin cyclist here. It takes me the same amount of time to ride the bus to work as it does to bike to work.

1hr - and that's using the metrorapid
>>
>>73613826
It costs money. Maybe slightly more than the $200/vote the rideshare companies spent on political ads, but it still cuts into operating costs.
>>
File: absolutely degenerate.jpg (105 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
absolutely degenerate.jpg
105 KB, 600x600
>>73613197
wtf why not just ride a bike how the fuck is it everyones reply is always " i have a super long commute bro it would take me over an hour"

Well I will keep saying ride a bike because I'm not deluded to believe the majority of people don't have some fucking mega commute but I will despite the odds always get this reply.
Fuck you lazy lying degenerates
>>
>>73614328
Yeah I'm just gonna bike everyday from Slaughter to 4th. Get real dude.
>>
>>73614328
Austin weather right now for the beginning of May -

88 feels like 96 with 10m wind gusts from the south

Early May - 88 feels like 96

98% of jobs have no shower facilities.
Most people do not want to show up soaked in sweat

just sayin, leaf
>>
>>73614721
Isn't there that one bus line that crosses Ben White? I think there's a transfer in there somewhere though.
>>
>>73601832
Fucking liberals.

texas has always been shit.

Capitalism will win.
>>
>>73614796
I take the 3 from my house to 4th and Lavaca. I'm a bartender though so I get off at 3 or so, and buses don't run then.
>>
>>73614796
>Transfers
be sure to arrive at your bus stop 15minutes in advance
>miss transfer have to wait at least 30 minutes for next bus
>>
>>73601914
>>73601913

Fucking having to pay more because liberals want to stick their kike noses into everything and regulate it. I should be able to get a damn ride from anyone I please without Daddy government getting in my fucking way.
>>
>>73614778
I work in a warehouse so I suppose I don't have to be a pretty little princess for work

bourgeois pussification of the white male is real
>>
Don't forget Tomorrow is Austin Don't Rush Day!

Plan aims to mitigate congestion by urging telecommuting or public transportation via CapMetro, which will offer free rides Wednesday.
>>
>>73615151
I do too, but many people have to work in services related to the govt. or uni.

Austin is the Capital of Texas
>>
>>73615151
You're a fucking leaf. You don't understand heat and humidity.
>>
File: Page not found KXAN.com.png (165 KB, 1022x505) Image search: [Google]
Page not found KXAN.com.png
165 KB, 1022x505
>>73615219
HOW CONVENIENT

also was going to post a link to the blind girl being interviewed but then pic related happened:

http://kxan.com/2016/05/10/blind-triathlete-explains-her-need-for-ridesharing-companies/

Guess someone at City Hall didn't like it too much.
>>
>>73603031
They do background checks, mate.
Austins government was just trying to make them pay for expensive fingerprint checks to make it harder on them.
>>
"With the city's continued development and growth, the Downtown Austin Alliance plans to conduct a comprehensive study on the city's parking issues."

With U/L gone, we're gonna need more parking lots ASAP

The city this year implemented residential parking permits, so parking around UT and S. Congress became even more difficult
>>
>>73615479
O rly???
>>
>>73601832
ITT: people who can't make car payments.

Feel the Bern you faggots.
>>
>>73615396
Austin Liberals (with power and clout) are old hippies who drive smoke belching Volvos from the 70s and LOVE to make shitty demands on the city while being NIMBYs when it comes to their turf
>>
>>73615391
I would fucking kill myself if I had to live in a hot climate if this is really the reality of the situation. Seems ultra depressing to live down there
>>
>>73613505
>manchaca

Moontowers4life
>>
>>73615540
Did you just move from Canada to the US?
>>
>>73616117
I go occasionally. I've been hanging out at Black Sheep Lodge recently.
>>
>>73616216
No, look at your id
>>
>>73606031
>>73612789
idk mane I'm all for the convenience of sharing like Uber, Lyft, and AirBnB, but you have these companies literally purchasing broad swathes of assets and land literally just to use it as a way to increase their product then saying "Oh this doesn't apply to us. We're just sharing this stuff, we're not really an entire business, man." You have apartment blocks in cities being bought so "contractors" can rent out rooms for AirBnB, FlipKey, etc and they get pass so many laws. You don't think it's suspicious how the contractors of ridesharing companies are suing for benefits?
>>
Austin is shit.

t. Texan
>>
>>73601832
Fuck uber.
Liberals are always talking about helping the working class and the poor but the second anything comes along that kicks those same poor people in the teeth but saves the liberals a few bucks they're out the door.
Uber is a bunch of middle class people getting paid pocket money to take jobs from the working class who can't compete with someone basically running without regulations, working in only the prime shifts and not relying on uber for their income.
And they're always so smug about it too. Like fucking over working people is a distant fifth on their reasons for not using cabs.
>>
>>73616517
>Black Sheep Lodge

Decent, but too many yuppies for me still. Been going to Crow Bar a lot though. That place has a good scene now. Very laid back and good drinks.
>>
>>73616039
You get used to it and you can always go swimming to cool down

With el nino this past almost 2 years, summer have been really nice. it didn't break 100 until August last year and winter has been extremely mild.

but we were in drought for over 8 years

back to point, we have a political class in Austin that don't really ever feel the effects of their decisions let alone know what it's like to sweat on the way to work in the summer
>>
>>73604588

The point is you offer the services if youre out driving anyway. Need to meet friends the next city over? May as well add 10-20 mins for a detour and make an extra $50. I knew a guy that did uber from sac to SF whenever he wanted to go to the beach and the fee he was paid covered toll, parking, dinner, gas, and he still had a chunk left over. Then he ubered someone from SF to sac airport on the return trip. Free trip to the city and getting paid on top of that aint bad. I woudnt spend my day just driving people though, only when convenient and longer distance.

I like unregulated industries, we should have more. People obviously like uber better, or else taxis wouldnt be trying to crush their competition with the law.
>>
this thread is a fucking goldmine of stupidity
>>
>>73616903
I would have to kill myself if I lived in a hotter climate like that.
Not natural. I am surprised any european can willingly live in such a place
>>
The Uber downfall started in my city of San Fagcisco where an out of work interpretive dance instructor sued to have Uber pay her sick days, fix her car and other nonsense that only a Bernie supporting literal retard would approve of

I think she won
>>
>>73616813
That cucumber vodka at Crow Bar is on point
>>
>>73617292
Yeah I'm red haired blue eyed with pale skin. It gets rough
>>
>>73607772

M8 its my money, I will spend it how I choose. Fuck the law, I dont require a bullshit official taxi. I just want to get from point A to B, I dont care. Why does the government have to make that so complicated, expensive, and shitty? Why do bootlickers like you think law is the be all end all when those laws are put in place by special interest groups that have more loyalty to their wallets than they do to your interests?
>>
>>73608950
So you want a government bail-out of the Taxis because Uber showed up?
>>
>>73617721
>special interest groups that have more loyalty to their wallets
>M8 its my money, I will spend it how I choose
>>
>>73617852
why just reduce the restrictions on Taxis?

level the playing field to U/L regs, instead of keeping old ones suited and written by Taxi co.s
>>
>>73612833

Do you pay your friends for giving you constant rides?
>>
>>73601832

Good going assholes, you just caused my hot AF girlfriend to lose her job. Now I have to buy her plane tickets for me.

I got cucked by Austin and I dont even live within 1000 miles of Texas.
>>
>>73617292
never underestimate the stupidity of German and Scottish settlers
>>
>>73601832
>Living in Texas
>not owning a car or truck
GTFO Californians.
>>
>>73618677
you just got redpilled on progessive voting
>>
File: u.s birth rates 2.png (24 KB, 420x360) Image search: [Google]
u.s birth rates 2.png
24 KB, 420x360
>>73618677
the hell you're comfortable with a female having this type of job?

Well now that I think about it it's not bad for a woman it's just when I think of u.s.a I think of 1 in every 2 men are an african or mexican so I wouldnt trust my daughter to have a job like that in u.s.a
>>
>>73608373
If republicans didnt want em out of the country they would vote conservative in a heartbeat.
>>
>>73617721
http://therealdeal.com/2016/03/04/airbnbs-commercial-listings-should-be-treated-like-businesses-de-blasio/

It's basically about this.

>“Some people unfortunately have taken advantage of it,” the mayor said, “and decided to create de facto hotels, and gotten a lot of apartments and constantly rent them out. Basically it’s a business, not a residence. If you’re a business, you should register as a business, you should pay taxes like a business, you should go through safety inspections like a business.”

The same things are happening with Uber and Lyft. The only reason Uber and Lyft want to leave is because they want to circumvent the law and make as much money possible while leaving the average person held accountable. Rideshares are against regulation yet Uber yet the rideshare Chariot is being created purely to protect women from being sexually harassed by their drivers. They know there's some truth so the issue.
>>
>>73610313
Wait, that's Taiwan's flag? It's just a bootleg Texas.
>>
>>73601913
>call a taxi
I'd rather have my driver be white, thank you.
>>
>>73601913

Are you fucking retarted? What's liberal about providing a voluntary service for cheaper and higher quality while simultaneously not putting up with licensing and beurocratic nonsense?

Do you hate the free market? Are you a communist? A you a beurocratic fucking shit?
>>
>>73618753
>GTFO Californians.
No shit.
the Cali hate has been strong since '91-92
but don't forget the NY fags who buy up homes unseen and drive the already insane prices even higher

a house built in the late 60's with extensive plumbing issues goes for 400,000
>>
>>73607772
>I'm totally for monopolies that offer poor non-competitive service for high rates
>The current taxi system should never ever be forced to change
Why don't you start defending the big cable companies next?
>>
>>73601832
Looks like the arab taxi mafia wins again
>>
>>73601832
thx for uber protesting.
>>
>>73601913
>licensed
Fuck you and your fucking license. I ride when whom ever and wherever i want.
>>
>>73609071
Uber or Lyft is $25 to the airport for me. Before they were available, I had to pay roughly $50-$60 each way with a cab.

Generally, Uber/Lyft is about 50-70% of the price of a cab, far more convenient and reliable in every possible way, and no tipping with Uber (even Lyft makes tipping easy and non-awkward.)

Anyone railing against these companies either hasn't used them or is a cab driver or ex-wife of a cab driver.
>>
>>73609344
all those seem like pro ride sharing arguments, except the first one, which is merely you subjectively not liking an ad campaign. Not sure how your conclusion damns all parties equally.
>>
Austinite here.

Every single person I've talked to here was supportive of Uber and Lyft. They've been great for this city in reducing drunks on the roads. They employ a lot of fucking people.

Their response to having a law mandating they be treated like taxis is to threaten to cripple the city and blow 8 million dollars on campaigning for a fucking saturday vote.

Everyone here got several people knocking on their door asking them to support Uber, they got multiple phone calls all the fucking time. It was worse than being targeted by the Sanders campaign.

And the one fucking thing that Austin hates is supporting "the man". So they voted against their own interests. I suspect this vote will be used as a case study for advertisement agencies for years after this.
>>
>>73603315
BU BU BUT I GOT A LOT OF THINGS IN THE MAIL AND EVEN ONE TEXT MESSAGE! I HAD TO SHOW TO CORPORATE ASSHOLES HOW AUSTIN IZ WEIRD!!
>>
>>73604336
BUT I GOT AN ANNOYING TEXT MESSAGE AND SOME STUFF IN THE MAIL, AND CORPORATIONS ARE BAD!
>>
>>73615151
You're a moron.
>>
>>73609344
I do agree that U/L fucked up a bit by sending so much junk mail etc and not realizing that this city is full of idiots who support "MUH GRASSROOTS SMALL BUSINESS LIKE WHOLE FOODS"

Can't wait to get back to paying Muhammed $40 for a fucking cab ride when his credit card machine is "broken"
>>
>>73603397
I still bike when it's over 100 here too, just dress appropriately and drink a lot of water. You're a sweaty fat fuck aren't you?
>>
>>73612016
Yeah but U/L are making a good showing by pissing everyone off. I bet this gets fixed with even better terms for them in the future
>>
>>73621157
>no change. no change for $20. sorry. just give me $20
>>
>>73612393
BUT AUSTIN IS JUST SO WEIRD LOL. BUT I HAVE LIVED HER FOR 8 MONTHS NOW AND THE CULTURE HAS CHANGED SO MUCH! LMAO
>>
>>73614104
Sometimes I feel like im the only burger /pol/tard who rides a bike for transport. I kind of hate other cyclists though, they tend to be massive faggots.
>>
>>73601913

kys pham

we have enough monopoly in this country
>>
>>73615790
This is SF's problem too.
>>
>>73621300
haha fuck this has happened so many times to me. Last time I argued with him for 10 minutes and "magically" he sound some cash "in the back of his wallet"
>>
>>73601832
über, nice way to sell small time smuggled or stilled booze, beer, tobacco, hashish, weed, coke, mdma, speed etc I bet.

kek
>>
File: 20150604_171256 (2).jpg (2 MB, 4107x2311) Image search: [Google]
20150604_171256 (2).jpg
2 MB, 4107x2311
I am surprised to see so many Austin fags on this board. I was sure I was the only one
>>
>>73621661
There's a shit ton of Austinites and Texans in general on 4chan.
>>
>>73617852
Taxis take the shitty costumers and hours and in return get the actual profitable ones too. They drive old people, sick people and school children around for a reduced price for example.

Imagine some unrelated company bought a few buses and started leeching the only profitable routes from the licensed bus company in a city. All the other routes would have to be cut.

There's a reason taxis (and buses) are regulated all over the world.
>>
>>73621661
>>73621782

Well, TX is a big place with great people who have a metric ton of diverse hobbies and opinions - where else would we go when the skeeters come out and the dogs hog the shade
>>
>>73622657
>Taxis drive old people, sick people and school children around for a reduced price for example.
Taxi service paid by the city via taxes

U/L helped reduced this burden by offering better services for cheaper for many of those people

now we're going back to shitty wait times due to scarcity and higher costs

It's gonna suck again for the Blind, elderly, or mobility impaired now
>>
>>73622657
>They drive old people, sick people and school children around for a reduced price for example.
I'm pretty sure taxi companies only do this if they are required to do it. Cities can make the same requirements for ride sharing if it gets to the point where the needy no longer have options.

But Uber/Lyft already provides rides to everyone for a reduced fare compared to cabs anyway.
>>
I fucking hate the nigger capital of Texas. It's a libfest and im suck of it. I work in Austin and HATE it I miss my small towns and Micheal Berry
>>
>>73623268
I'm with you man. The culture has become just incredibly fucked the past decade. I want to move so bad.
>>
>>73618753
>>73619237
Then why is this shit just happening now if it's been around since the 90s?
>>
>Not driving a 20 year old Moped
>>
>>73604385
is ghost that much of a local celebrity? dude is like the mascot of sidebar and the red river area.
>>
fuck yellow cab fuck lonestar cab
>>
The local cab service here attempted to 'compete' with the ride sharing programs.

You can now text message for a cab, though sometimes you don't get a confirmation for 5 minutes or so, or at all, and then if you re-text, 2 cabs might show up. This is far better than trying to get Juaniqua the dispatcher to competently take your cab order over speakerphone, but still leagues worse than Uber.

They added these 20" monitors to the back seat, so you can pay via credit card more conveniently. Of course, the monitor screen is chock full of shitty ads.

They had a on-screen tutorial to show how to pay using the system, and of course they recommended tipping. The example they gave was a $20 ride, and a $8 tip. They literally expect people to tip 40%, no wonder they are gonna go bust with that attitude.
>>
File: triggered.gif (3 MB, 294x250) Image search: [Google]
triggered.gif
3 MB, 294x250
>>73623268
>nigger capital of Texas
ignores Houston, Dallas, and Killeen
>>
Uber has actually been really pleasant for me and most of the Uber drivers in LA are niggers.
>>
>>73622997
I can only speak for my own city here, but the city won't send school children (or anyone) with people without the proper background checks and they want the same people so they can actually depend on them showing up.

With Uber you don't even know if anyone will show up. It's their choice.

Taxis are generally also required to be available a certain amount of the week, so you are certain that there will be some service available at all times.

If this is poorly regulated in a city I can understand why people want change, but I don't think all removal of regulation will be good for the city as a whole in the long run.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 390x293
>>73601913
Taxi drivers in Austin are fucking mongoloid retards. Fucking niggers and psychotic fucks galore. The last time I took one, he tried to tell me that it was gonna be 2X whatever the fair ended up being because it was "busy." Told him that's fucking illegal as shit, got out of the cab and told him to fuck off and go back to Somalia. They're fucking scumbags.
>>
>>73623125
How do you enforce availability with ride-charing? At some point you're just gonna create taxis again.
>>
>>73621181
>american
>sweaty fat fuck
i highly doubt it
>>
>>73623870
Never got shot at in Houston.
>>
Uber is the way of the future, taxi drivers are absolutely fucked if they don't prepare carefully for what's to follow when they get the public and laws on their side. Competition for drivers will be fierce
>>
>>73623520
you expect colonization to happen overnight?

you gotta have the jobs first and the major employers didn't move in at first.

Intel built half a building and then demolished it.

Film industry really took off, SXSW and ACL got huge,

Once we got strong Tech sector going with Apple, Google, Samsung, Tokyo electron, Samsung and IBM - people have been moving at the rate of 120 people a day
>>
>>73624167
So you think that 95% of the population should be inconvenienced or held back so that some school children can keep using legacy social programs? The city can and should work out solutions for the kids without impeding progress for the rest of the populaiton.
>>
>>73624167
>If this is poorly regulated in a city I can understand why people want change
yes, Taxis - even when the only game in town - are abominable. And they used that fact to strong arm the city

with competition gone, so is any incentive to improve
>>
>>73624167
>With Uber you don't even know if anyone will show up. It's their choice.

You're a fucking moron who has never used it obviously. Go back to chopping wood out of your cabin.
>>
>>73624442
where in Austin did you dodge a bullet?
>>
>>73623600
I've lived here my entire life. Who the fuck is ghost?
>>
>>73624395
I don't know the details of the issue, or the options available, so I can't propose any solution, though I am sure solutions can be found. You seem to be saying don't modernize the taxi cab industry because if you do, these old people and kids will be inconvenienced. I'm saying find other solutions for these needy people, but do not stop progress just because of "well that's how we have always done it before."
>>
>>73624945
2nd coming of Alex Jones
>>
>>73601913
>call company, put on hold for 8 minutes
>catty bitch asks WHERE YOU AT
>wait 20 mins, hope cab shows up in time to make your flight
>see cab coming, someone upstream hails it
>try again, finally shows up
>Somalian pirate kidnaps you, doors locked
>listen to him scream on phone in foreign language
>takes the 'scenic' route
>does not unlock door until you pay a 50% tip
>15 minute ride costs $40, driver gets about $3 from this
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.