[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Istanbul
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: TurkeyTouristicMap.jpg (54 KB, 700x388) Image search: [Google]
TurkeyTouristicMap.jpg
54 KB, 700x388
>Watching Rome documentary
>They finally manage to take control of Carthage
>Destroy the city, dismantle the walls and salt the earth

Machiavelli said that there is only two ways to occupy a foregin city, either destroy it or move yourself and your people there to change the culture

Can someone explain how Turkey managed to do this with Istanbul, its the only example of a successful invasion, occupation and integration of a new city that I can think of

did they include tax benefits for turks to move or forcefully send people there?
>>
>>73234274
hoping this is /pol/ enough I can't stand /his/
>>
>>73234274
Macedonian-American here and a jew. we have been trying to destroy Turkey since the dawn of time and will never stop.
>>
>>73235226
keep up the good fight
>>
>>73234274
occupation was mostly peaceful outside of the first 3 days of looting. orthodox church was re-established under anti-catholic leadership, greeks and other groups were urged back into the city, the city flourished as it was the capital of an empire and the living standards were good for their time as the ottomans took from roman traditions and installed thousands of public baths, toilets and wells

but the turkification didn't happen over-night
istanbul has been in turkish control for over 500 years, it used to be more multi-kulti but that changed after the evils of the ww1 and independence war
its still somewhat multi-kulti though it has become nearly fully turkish
>>
>>73234274
They deported part of the current population(which was only about 40,000 at that time IIRC) and literally imported and invited people(including jews and armenians for administrative reasons among others) from across their empire, it wasn't very subtle, but constantinople stayed greek majority for a while

Also why do you hate /his/? Does not all of /his/ sharing your opinion trigger you :^)?
>>
>>73235589
>>73235647
WHICH ONE DO I BELIEVE

theres summin about /his/ I can't explain
>>
>>73236029
We're both right 2bh
>>
File: itfeeds.png (368 KB, 1482x870) Image search: [Google]
itfeeds.png
368 KB, 1482x870
>>73235647
/his/ is bad
>>
>>73235647
>Also why do you hate /his/?
they think that wikipedia is a credible source
>>
>>73236545
/pol/ does too though
>>
>>73236545
It isn't.
Wikipedia summarizes information from a collection of actual sources.
See: sources.
btw thanks for destroying the beautiful Rome of the east.
>>
>>73234274
When the the turks conquered constantinople it was a depopulated shadow of its former self, literally a small town inside of giant fortress walls so it would have been fairly easy to populate with turks.

jizya tax for non muslims also encourages assimilation
>>
>>73236140
Pretty much this

the pseudo intellectual babble

>>73235647
>>73235589
Thanks for the informative replies btw senpai desu baka
>>
Is there any other examples of Istandbul?

Alsace-Lorraine?
>>
>>73238057
You mean complete replacement of cultures?
Partition of India
Polish annexation of parts of germany after WW2
Qing genocide of the Dzunghars(and genocide in general)
etc etc
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.