[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canada should boost military spending, former NATO commander says
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: NATO.png (30 KB, 550x433) Image search: [Google]
NATO.png
30 KB, 550x433
The former supreme allied commander of NATO says he agrees with Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump that non-U.S. allies need to step up to the plate and boost their military budgets.

"The two per cent goal is one that nations have set and I fully support it and I agree with Mr. Trump that nations should try to hit that two per cent goal," James Stavridis said in an interview with Terry Milewski on CBC Radio's The House.

Canada signed on to meeting that target in 2006 but has not reached the goal. Canada's spending comes in at one per cent of GDP, or roughly $20 billion a year, a figure that some have argued is too low to sustain a modern military force. Only five other countries of the 28 in NATO spend less.

Trump argued Wednesday, in his first major scripted public policy speech, that the United States foots the bill for far too much of the alliance's defence capacity, and other member nations — including Canada — are "freeloaders" for failing to contribute their fair share of domestic military spending.

So what does /pol/ think about NATO? What should it's purpose be now that the Cold War is over?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nato-commander-trump-comments-1.3559234

>Also to other Canadians read the comment section. It'll hurt a bit.
>>
US out of NATO.
>>
>>72574409
NATO needs to break up, but yeah, Canada's military is pathetic.
>>
>>72574639
As a pilot in the RCAF I couldn't agree more. The general Canadian doesn't realize that the military does more than just sit around and wait for a war.
>>
2% is completely reasonable. Canada's military is in tatters and it is fucking sad considering russia's claims to the arctic. Elect a real man as president next time canada and you'll feel a lot better about yourself.

Also purchase F-15Es and license build some Arleigh Burkes and get new submarines and you'll be taken seriously by the russians.
>>
>>72574639

NATO doesn't need to break up but trump is completely right that countries who don't meet their obligation (the 2%) shouldn't be part of the deal.
>>
>>72574784
>F-15Es
You misspelled F-35s.
>>
>>72574784
The Arctic has billions in resources and the Russians have claimed huge portions of it, now the Chinese are sailing through it. It is quite pathetic.
>>
File: a fucking leaf.gif (589 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
a fucking leaf.gif
589 KB, 320x240
>>
>>72574901

F-15Es could be built now and would be cheaper and perfect for Canada's needs. F-35 is still another decade away from being at full capability.
>>
Maybe if you sell more gold you could fund it.
>>
>>72574923
That is quite cool.
>>72575040
Yes. The F-15SE is priced to be around 100'000'000USD.
>>
>>72575094
Don't rub it in Stars.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.