[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We are truly living in the future( NASA's EM Drive)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: em-drive.jpg (61 KB, 699x449) Image search: [Google]
em-drive.jpg
61 KB, 699x449
http://www.sciencealert.com/the-em-drive-still-producing-mysterious-thrust-after-another-round-of-nasa-tests
>There's been a whole lot of hype, controversy, and debate the past few months about the EM Drive – an "impossible" engine that, if functional, could supposedly power a spacecraft to Mars in just 10 weeks, without any rocket fuel.

>It's pretty easy to understand the appeal. >Science can't explain how the engine could possibly work and yet, somehow, throughout a range of tests at NASA's Eagleworks Laboratory, the engine reportedly continues to produce thrust.
>But here's the catch – so far none of these results have been peer-reviewed, and it can't be ruled out that the thrust isn't the result of some type of experimental error.
> So for now, we remain skeptical.

>But in the meantime, Paul Mach, one of the principal investigators at the Eagleworks Lab, has provided the first public update about their tests on the EM Drive in months, and has admitted that the team has upgraded their experimental protocol and mitigated some of the errors that people were concerned about in prior tests.

>"And yet the anomalous thrust signals remain..." Mach wrote on the NASASpaceFlight forums.

>His comment was in response to an unpublished paper, which claimed that the propulsion seen in earlier trials of the EM Drive were a result of Lorentz force – which means the force generated by interactions between the EM Drive and the Earth's magnetic field.

VR, Driverless cars, Gene Editing, Quantum Computers, is anyone just excited for tech advancements in the next 20 years. We are truly living in the future.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 595x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 595x432
>>72400473
>5 Nov 2015
I want to stuff an entire box of dinner forks into your boypussy
>>
>>72400711
http://www.gadgette.com/2016/04/26/emdrive-the-mysterious-propulsion-technology-that-seems-to-defy-physics/
Heres the latest article on EM for the stingy Nip
>>
>>72400711
This.

I havent heard shit about this in too long.
>>
>>72400829
how strong of a thrust?

i guess it'd only be good on earth but thats still awesome to save fuel on take off.

we'd still need some fuel for in space maneuvers unless solar powered is doable.
>>
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/227146-a-new-theory-of-inertia-could-explain-the-em-drives-anomalous-thrust

>A new theory of inertia could explain the EM Drive’s anomalous thrust
>>
>>72400904

>>72400951
>>
>>72400473
>anomalous thrust signals
so these things have a reverb inside the cone and it makes power?
itradesting
>>
>>72400947
Actually the point of the thrust from the EM drive would literally be to have infinite thrust. Remember there is no friction in space unless you actually run into something. So you could continue to accelerate, even if it was really slow. The problem from there is maneuvering as you say. You would need strong thrusts for that and to slow down, which gets harder the more you let your speed accumulate.
>>
>>72400473
>VR
Without physical feedback VR is just another gimmick. Also, computers/consoles these days can sometimes struggle to render low quality games. Can you imagine what it would be like to have lag in VR? The headaches...

>Driverless cars
For what purpose? Potentially useful for long drives but do you really need a driverless car to drive 15 minutes? How short is your attention span?

>Gene Editing
Forget 20 years, try 50. The amount of ethical restrictions in place for gene editing are massive and are only going to get more difficult in this "I'm so important, where's my hugbox" culture that is getting stronger and stronger.

>Quantum Computers
Quantum computers are ridiculously misunderstood. Quantum computing will never be more efficient than regular computing for things like video games, typing, internet browsing, programming etc. which is what 99.99% of users need computing for. Quantum computing only has useful applications in areas like mathematics and physics for NP problems. You will never see a phone running on quantum computing, because there will never be a time where that is anywhere near as time or expense efficient, as regular computing.

As for the EM drive, it still needs to be confirmed with rigor but the amount of thrust produced in experiments (so far) is minimal to the point of near uselessness. The only real applications to it would be satellites adjusting their trajectory. EM isn't going to take us to the stars.

The technocracy has a long way to go.

If you want to see what the future will be like in 20 years compare the 90s to today.

Computers are faster, phones are smaller.
>>
>>72401713
I think the whole point of the EM drive is that it doesnt require a fuel supply unlike ion engines. Even if it only produces thrust on par with ion drives, thats ion level thrust that will in theory never ever run dry. So as long as the power supply holds out, the engine can keep thrusting.

The big questions now are, if this is truly 100% legit, how well the EM drive's thrust scales as the unit itself gets physically larger and the power input greater. If the scaling is good enough, this thing will open up the solar system to human exploration.
>>
>>72401713
>Without physical feedback VR is just another gimmick.

>what are joysticks and steering wheels

>what is force feedback, a technology like 15 years old

Idiot

And yeah no shit everyone will need twice the power to render games that take twice the power. Not my fault everyone is a consolefag retard
>>
>>72400473
His comment was in response to an unpublished paper, which claimed that the propulsion seen in earlier trials of the EM Drive were a result of Lorentz force – which means the force generated by interactions between the EM Drive and the Earth's magnetic field.
----
If that is the case, the EM Drive is fucked
>>
>>72401713
>he doesn't want to have naps as his car drives him 15 minute distances

the fuck nigga
>>
>>72404029
That's what I was thinking, what the fuck is the point if it only works right next to huge planets, could it even escape the gravity?
>>
>>72404122
i can only imagine how screwy job markets would get as it becomes feasible to have a 3 hour commute to work
>>
>>72404278
I hadn't actually considered that aspect before. People still take trains and such to work a lot and I assume they have naps, but yeah you're right. It would almost become feasible to have much longer commutes and work your hours around the comfy car trip.
>>
>>72401678

I thought the thrust decreased in the direction you were traveling.

Turning on an EM drive to reduce you speed, i.e. thrust opposite the direction of travel, should be max until you stop and reverse.

Or I could be full of shit. Its been a while since I read the inventor's paper.
>>
>>72401713
>Quantum computers are ridiculously misunderstood. Quantum computing will never be more efficient than regular computing for things like video games, typing, internet browsing, programming etc. which is what 99.99% of users need computing for. Quantum computing only has useful applications in areas like mathematics and physics for NP problems. You will never see a phone running on quantum computing, because there will never be a time where that is anywhere near as time or expense efficient, as regular computing.

This is true. The major advance, or threat, of QC is the ability to break current encryption algorithms. Of course QC chips will open up new algorithms.

>As for the EM drive, it still needs to be confirmed with rigor but the amount of thrust produced in experiments (so far) is minimal to the point of near uselessness. The only real applications to it would be satellites adjusting their trajectory. EM isn't going to take us to the stars.

Nope. It will scale up (though we're not sure to what level yet) and it is useful for constant acceleration in space.

The inventor claims it will be possible to scale up to levitate a car, but not accelerate/brake it. On Earth its main use, if it indeed scales, is levitation.
>>
>>72400947
its actually the opposite .
>>
>>72400473
I think you're on the wrong board.
>>
>>72404029
No one knows tho, its all just speculation untill theres a full comprehensive study on the Nasa EM drive. Scientists are now claiming it could be as a result of a phenomena called Unruh radiation.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/227146-a-new-theory-of-inertia-could-explain-the-em-drives-anomalous-thrust

It could still be useful for space exploration.
>>
>>72403424
>/v/
you have to go back
>>
>>72401713
>>Gene Editing
>Forget 20 years, try 50. The amount of ethical restrictions in place for gene editing are massive and are only going to get more difficult in this "I'm so important, where's my hugbox" culture that is getting stronger and stronger.

Bullshit China is blazing a trial, which is great because they should be guinea pigs, not whites.
>>
>>72400473
LMAO 10/10 Shitpost
>>
>>72405049
Iirc: the acceleration decreases as you reach the speed of the exhaust (ie: your exhaust goes at 100km/h you can only reach a speed of 100km/h)

Though turning 180 and firing the thrusters at the halfway point will cause you to reach the destination at 0 m/s (ideally, in the real world is never that precise, but still close enough)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.