[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does this have to do with individual freedoms? Do we not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: tmp_31572-Tszifsq1545999402.jpg (383 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tmp_31572-Tszifsq1545999402.jpg
383 KB, 1280x720
What does this have to do with individual freedoms? Do we not have individual freedom if you can't literally own anything you want at home?

You can't have heroin, you can't have certain weapons, you can't have a running motorcycle and your windows closed. Why can't the government tell you not to have the plant in any way, anywhere?

I see some of the reasons for pro-legalization. Not this one. Just doesn't make and sense.
>>
Homeslice, don't smoke out of that. You'll cut your lip.
>>
RIP
>>
>>72361601
You're a dumbass if you're gonna try to smoke out of that
>>
>>72361734
>>72361753
>>72361799

>filename
>anti-weed post

Probably not OP's.
>>
File: 1454356193655.png (302 KB, 576x426) Image search: [Google]
1454356193655.png
302 KB, 576x426
>>72361601
>pet dander all over
>smoking shit brickweed out of a broken (!) pipe

Its smokers like you..
>>
because you should have the individual freedom to decide what to put into, or otherwise do to your body. Obviously this should apply to Heroin, and killing yourself, the argument is the same.
>>
>>72361601
All the things you counted up are restrictions on individual freedoms. They're necessary restrictions, but still restrictions.

And you can't have a running motorcycle and your windows closed? What's that supposed to mean?
>>
>>72361799
I saved that pic from a post about desperate smokers. It shows that desperation in a marijuana user can, indeed, be as risky as users of another drug. People will believe video game addiction (I'm not blaming video games, by the way) could lead someone to neglect their children. But not pot? It's madness.
>>
>>72361992
/thread

I don't know if OP is being retarded on purpose or if he just has autism.
>>
>>72361601
>You can't have heroin, you can't have certain weapons, you can't have a running motorcycle and your windows closed.

That's dumb. You should be able to.
>>
>>72361601
There is a differnce from a drug addict needing to smoke this shit 24/7

And people who need medicine for cancer seizures etc.

Oh and plus the industrial properties as well, hemp is still illegal
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKxemEXkSSg
>>
>>72361992
There are always going to people restricting you for the better good. Parents lost their power. The government is still here, however, to ensure you remain a decent person somewhat. Why shouldn't the government tell someone, "no" and use the power it has to get someone to stop toking?

>>72361955
Not mine.

>>72362120
Try it. You'd suffocate but the point is that a cop would come a knocking.
>>
>>72362297
Why should you? According to people who just want to do whatever they want in this world?
>>
>>72362579
>Why should you?

Those things don't violate anyone else's rights, that's why.
>>
>>72362120
Bring a motorcycle indoors and turn it on and rev up the engine. You'd die.

>>72362150

>People will believe video game addiction could lead someone to neglect their children
>But not pot?

Everyone and their mother knows that a loser with pot would neglect his kids. The reason both cases don't get more than 15 minutes of fame is because anecdotal evidence doesn't account for all the marijuana smokers who DON'T ignore their kids and who don't irresponsibly smoke when they need to be sharp focused. Neglecting your kids because you smoked too much pot is a symptom of a greater issue.

>>72362669
I honestly see it the same thing as you being allowed to have a noose or a guillotine or something like that in your home. Something that you would clearly use to kill yourself (don't tell me you can't kill yourself with a guillotine). Cop knocks, they see that, your freedom is immediately restricted as you are restrained and considered a danger to yourself. These things would likely be taken away from you.
>>
>>72362509
>Why shouldn't the government tell someone, "no" and use the power it has to get someone to stop toking?
Because the 10th Amendment exists. They quite literally do NOT have that power according to the Constitution.

You really suck at this being an American thing.
>>
>>72362344
>drug addict
>addicted
>addicted to cannabis

12 year old pls go
>>
>>72362838
>>72362509

I don't think it's illegal to kill yourself. They'll take you away to a hospital to save your life but still.
>>
>>72362669
They violate the person's own life and others who may enter the domicile. I notice how many people would rather the government ignore suicide when it comes to these threads. I make the comparison and I see arguments about how the government should let you do whatever you want with yourself even if it poses an immediate threat to your physical or mental wellbeing.
>>
>>72362838
>I honestly see it the same thing as you being allowed to have a noose or a guillotine or something like that in your home.

You should be able to have those, too.

>>72363037
>They violate the person's own life

That's not an argument, otherwise alcohol and tobacco would be illegal. I love both of them, and I won't have either be illegal.
>>
>>72362872
So you are saying this amendment is violated with every action the DEA makes in regards to recreational use?
>>
>>72362990
It exists whether you believe it or not. Not all drug addiction is physical addiction, but it's still something you could classify as "addiction". It's a nice and convenient word! Sounds like you're the 12 year old.

>>72362994

The very fact that you can be taken against your will for attempting to kill yourself tells me that you don't actually have the right.

They won't charge you with anything for attempting to kill yourself, but the fact there is legislation for "death with dignity" that consists of a lengthy wait period is something else:

For the terminally ill, it is legal in the state of Oregon under the Oregon Death with Dignity Act. In Washington state, it became legal in 2009, when a law modeled after the Oregon act, the Washington Death with Dignity Act was passed. A patient must be diagnosed as having less than six months to live, be of sound mind, make a request orally and in writing, have it approved by two different doctors, then wait 15 days and make the request again. A doctor may prescribe a lethal dose of a medication but may not administer it.

Pretty sickening.

>>72363193
Mhmm.
>>
>>72361601

Because its not "safe".

Let the government stimulate research and development into making it "safe."

It'll only cost you a little in taxes and well have those dirty capitalist weed growing monkeys off the streets in no time.

>jewhands.img
>>
>>72361940
whats wrong with the op's pic? my pipe is like that and ive used it for a while
>>
>kill yourself
>cops arrest your corpse
>found guilty by a jury of your peers
>State throws your dead body into a cell and charges the taxpayers for it

What is this Weekend at Bernie's: Prison Edition?

Op I think you need to smoke some weed and color a few Sesame Street coloring books if you're failing to grasp both the basic logic and what is outlined in the Constitution.
>>
>>72363192
Alcohol and tobacco saved this nation. Just because you have a liquor cabinet doesn't mean you should have the drug bank. In other words, we have the ability to encourage politicians to respect state rights and prevent marijuana from bend legalized in the remaining states.
>>
>>72363541

>It exists whether you believe it or not.

Going to need some evidence there, chief.
>>
>>72363729
>Alcohol and tobacco saved this nation.

Regardless, the notion of personal safety being an argument goes out the window when you choose not to ban them.
>>
>>72363682

If you attempt to kill yourself, you will be restrained. Period. There's no two ways about it. If you kill yourself, you do it knowing that your rights would be seriously violated if you mess up and end up being helped by someone.

I understand, however, if a good samaritan wants to talk you out of it.

A police officer restraining a person for attempted suicide is a different matter. Plenty of terminally ill people have ended up being treated as mental patients because they wanted to end their lives early. Don't fucking tell me that the 10th amendment isn't trampled on. This is one of the many "little ways" the amendment is abused. No one would argue it, no one would protest it, and thus they are free to abuse it.

Most of the claimed 10th Amendment violations are things that have become so normalized that people don't question it. I mean, "why shouldn't an officer stop someone from killing themselves?"

Their job should be to de-escalate the situation, not to restrain a person if they just want to end their own life.

>>72363983
Google "marijuana psychological addiction" and you will clearly see that it's a perfectly appropriate term to use.

Stop thinking I'm telling you that marijuana is as addicting as heroin and that you get serious withdrawal symptoms if you stop smoking it. You fucking overly-defensive retard who probably doesn't know the difference between physical and psychological addiciton.
>>
>>72364235
The prevailing mentality against marijuana isn't a consistent one. Alcohol and tobacco stays, marijuana doesn't because it's just different. Or "it's too late to get rid of alcohol, but we can sure get rid of marijuana!" If they have the stopping power to convince a nation, who's minds are turning when it comes to pot, to decide to be anti-freedom again, then they have the power to get alcohol banned or at least put that on the agenda.
>>
>>72364469

I think of the drug war a lot like gun control. It's none of the government's business what I smoke in my own home. In the same way, it's none of their business what guns I own.
>>
File: cant trick the vick.jpg (38 KB, 460x600) Image search: [Google]
cant trick the vick.jpg
38 KB, 460x600
>>72362509
>The government is still here, however, to ensure you remain a decent person somewhat.

hmm, is the role of the Government? Dang, I must have been reading the wrong constitution
>>
>>72364730
*is this the role
>>
>>72361601
its not all or nothing idiot. nobody is forcing you to work. if you have a job they are required to pay you minimum wage at the very least or counting contractually obligated pay rates

you can choose who you spend your time with both friends and who you want to fuck. the government doesnt arrange marriages and even your family cant legally force you to marry any one

you can choose what channels you watch on tv and what you eat for breakfast ect ect ect
>>
>>72364329
Are you implying things should be banned due to physical addiction? I have some sour news for you if so..
>>
>>72362990
Addiction and physical dependency are two very different things.
>>
>>72365043
Ban oxygen and water.
>>
>>72364329

Yes, the person not resorting to personal insults and instead maintaining composure is the defensive one.

Most of the statistics regarding things like "cannabis use disorder" in the US are skewed because offenders are frequently given the option to go to addiction counseling or treatment programs rather than do jail time (and thus avoid a criminal record). Of course most people opt for the path of least resistance, and in this way the number of people "addicted" to cannabis becomes artificially inflated.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-03-31/news/os-misdemeanor-pot-busts-20140314_1_drug-testing-misdemeanor-marijuana-possession-convictions

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/criminal-lawyer-illinois/2010/04/i-got-arrested-for-a-bag-of-weed-what-is-the-law-in-illinois-on-marijuana.html

http://www.bobbyzirkin.com/baltimore-prosecutors-lighten-up-on-marijuana-possession/
>>
>>72365043
No, I'm merely stating that it can be physically addicting. Just like a lot of other things. I can obviously see how one can be hooked on it. I can also see how easy it is to get out of it. It depends on how much willpower someone has. Someone who's a 24/7 stoner probably doesn't have the willpower to study, for example. But there are some who do.
>>
>>72366624

I'm not looking at addiction in the scope of the law, I'm looking at it from a psychological perspective. Studies are probably more reliable in that department as well. Why are you disagreeing that it can't be psychologically addicting? It sounds like you're defensive because you think I'm associating it with the kind of addiction users of heroin have, and that I'm criticizing marijuana. I'm just stating something that's pretty simple and applies to marijuana as much as it applies to video games.
>>
>>72367862

Yeah, in that respect anything can be addicting, true. But that's no reason for a thing to be outlawed if you ask me.
>>
>>72368071

It certainly is not. We might as well go deeper and ban thinking. The main problem behind someone hooked on video games or pot is a greater underlying problem. If our mental health care was improved and not focused on doping people, people's disgusting personal problems would be addressed. Instead, we have a mental crisis in this country. A silent crisis, as no one can hear each other's thoughts.
>>
>>72362509
>government is still here...to ensure you remain a decent person

by who's definition? How does a person know what makes another man "better" just because he puts a tie on everyday and has a shiny degree on his wall?

Nobody ever born knows anymore than the next asshole what makes a "decent" life. They might have a few ideas, like don't wipe with poison ivy, but beyond that, they are fucking clueless.

For all we know, a 25 year old smackhead who dies in a gutter may have had the most meaningful life ever. All of these lives, whether you bought a house or "did all the right things" are all rewarded with death in a pool of your own shit.
>>
>>72361601
Taxes. Personal freedom. And that fact that idiots don't realize it remaining illegal has so many adverse effects. People reference the Gateway theory when it's only cause is the illegality of marijuana. It's illegal and thus you have a black market in which pot is sold by drug dealers who also sell meth, heroin, pills.
>>
>>72361601
And it shouldn't have ever been illegal in the first place. Please go look at history.
>>
>>72368624

Class has determined that we can never see a man with less shekels than us as a human being. How convenient for those who want to rule over us.

>>72369471
"Just don't smoke" is the excuse people have to justify abuse. I can say, "don't smoke cocaine", but I wouldn't justify treating addicts like shit when they can be rehabilitated.
>>
>>72369761
Yep. Should be "Its a consumable plant."
>>
>>72361601
You'll never be 'literally' free to own whatever you want. On that note anyone who thinks they have anything close to literal freedom is a fucking idiot.
>>
>>72371169

It should remain sensible and in the spirit of America.
>>
>>72371169
This. Why should you be granted the right to own the plant, smoke it, get high?
>>
>>72364730

It's the role of state governments, sure. Read your Constitution better.
>>
>>72373872
Turns out state rights fucked us over more than we know. One state has more freedom than the other. The more retarded your state is, the less rights you'll have. Just look at California stripping their citizens' gun rights! It's an unfortunate state of affairs.
>>
No one seems to care about weed it seems. But it's such a serious topic you guys
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.