[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iran-Iraq War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 23
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 300x340) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 300x340
why does nobody talk about this war? it was metal as fuck. it's the only full-scale conventional war fought with modern weaponry. shit, there were even helicopter dogfights
>both sides were pretty much equal in terms of military power
>trench warfare
>widespread ballistic missile use
>widespread use of chemical weapons
>human wave attacks
>Battle of the Marshes: On that day, a massive array of Iranian helicopters transporting Pasdaran troops were intercepted by Iraqi combat aircraft (MiGs, Mirages and Sukhois). In what was essentially an aerial slaughter, Iraqi jets shot down 49 of 50 Iranian helicopters. At times, fighting took place in waters over 2 m (6.6 ft) deep. Iraq ran live electrical cables through the water, electrocuting numerous Iranian troops and then displaying their corpses on state television.
i know the war didn't really change anything politically, but holy shit
>>
>>72172903
Didn't NATO intervene or something because we're faggots?
>>
>>72173267
we were selling weapons to both sides
>>
>At times, fighting took place in waters over 2 m (6.6 ft) deep. Iraq ran live electrical cables through the water, electrocuting numerous Iranian troops and then displaying their corpses on state television.

You've got my attention. Please, go on.
>>
Because it's a nonsense war that no one understands that was started by egomaniacal despots.
>>
File: 1443714860767.jpg (26 KB, 402x225) Image search: [Google]
1443714860767.jpg
26 KB, 402x225
>>72172903

>why does nobody talk about this war?

Because /pol/ tends to not be very informed as a whole about things that the US and the west in general were not moderately involved in. They funded Iraq and there were some skirmishes at sea with Iranian forces but most people here have not read about the war in-depth.

The wikipedia article it is surprisingly good btw, I learned a lot from it.

Iran dindu nuffin for real though, Iraq should not have attacked.
>>
>>72173267
nah. there were some engagements between the US Navy and the Iranian Navy in the Persian gulf, but that's about it. I think we accidentally shot down an Iranian airliner too
>>
>>72173502

So basically European History?
>>
>>72173502

>that no one understands
you mean hasn't bothered to read about

>was started by egomaniacal despots.
aka most wars
>>
Iranian Frogmen in the swamps.

Good times.
>>
>>72173633
It was shot down by a missile launched from a ship and all of the evidence indicates that the commander of the ship who gave the order knew it was a passenger airliner and did it anyway.
>>
Irani = big balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNdiFpM_bHE
>>
>>72172903
No one talks about it because the war was pointless and changed nothing. Plus Iran is now a nominal friend to Iraq, so it is pretty awkward to talk about how they forced the war to go on pointlessly even through Saddam offered peace and reparations.
>>
The Iranians used children and teenagers to launch frontal assaults on fortified Iraqi positions and (hopefully) make a breach that the regular Iranian army would be able to exploit with.

The thing is that the Iranians had essentially managed to contain and then repulse the invading Iraqis in the first two years of the war. The next 6 was essentially a grinding war of attrition that achieved no strategic purpose.
>>
>>72172903
Didn't they just found a mass grave of iranian divers in iraq? Afaik they were thrown in water with their hands and feet tied on their backs
>>
>>72175156
http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2015/05/iran-175-martyrs-iran-iraq-war.html
>>
Totally underrated war. How about Iraqi Roads? There were so many Iranian bodies they would stack them, and cover them with concrete or packed down soil to make roads for troops in the marsh. When the Iranians advanced they would see this. Neat display of utility and psy ops
>>
>>72174940
>war of attrition
best war
>>
>>72174010

lel we gave them some money for it but never apologized
>>
>>72174753

They forced it to go on because part of the conditions of the peace Saddam offered were for Iraqi troops to remain in the Iranian territory they had occupied.

The Iranians wanted a return to pre-war borders and when Saddam refused thats when they kept the war going.
>>
>>72175789
But Iran continued offensives even after the Iraqis were pushed out.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 640x960
North Korea were involved? How?
>>
>>72176209
Why did NK side with Iran, from what I understand shouldn't America have sided with Iran?
>>
>>72173502
It was a border conflict fuckwit.
>>
>>72176421
why would America side with Iran in anything post revolution?
>>
>>72176421
the Revolution had just happened so we were still pissy at them
>>
>>72176209
They sent pilots that totally weren't there we swear you guys.
>>
>>72176421
Iran had just had a revolution, and Iraq didn't want it spilling into their country. Seems like it was primarily motivated by a land grab.

But how/why was N.Korea involved?
>>
>>72176844
??? Why the fuck would they give a shit about this war? Future ally or some crap? Wtf would Iran do that could help them? Tell Kim he's a very pretty boy?
>>
File: 425.jpg (31 KB, 408x632) Image search: [Google]
425.jpg
31 KB, 408x632
>>72176209
>Israel siding with Iran and best Korea
>>
>>72175963

Because Saddam refused to respect the prewar borders in any peace deal. Saddam was only willing to make peace if he could keep some of the ethnic-arab regions bordering Iraq that the Iraqis initially captured.

i.e. even after the Iraqis were pushed out of Iran Saddam was basically saying either you let us have some of the areas we originally captured or we will keep attacking you.
>>
>>72172903
Why did Israel side with Iran. I thought they hated them?
>>
>>72176998
If I remember correctly, selling ballistic missiles. NK was anxious to show the world their military might, but the missiles ended up sucking total ass.
>>
File: iran iraq war.jpg (78 KB, 768x528) Image search: [Google]
iran iraq war.jpg
78 KB, 768x528
>>72172903
>>
>>72177835
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–North_Korea_relations

Third party for communist arms deals and also supplying NK made weapons/missiles.

What weapons have NK made that are actually good? Famine?
>>
>>72174395
War footage from middle east that doesn't have "ALLAHU ACKBAR!!!" yells all over it. Nicer times.
>>
>>72177168

North Korea probably had no interest in either combatant initially, but they used it as an opportunity to sell/test military equipment. It also provides some of your officers, especially pilots, with combat experience. Much of Iran's ballistic missile technology, and likely some of their nuclear technology has North Korean origins owing to ties forged during this war.

It used to be common (and still is to some extent) for foreign military officers to be embedded with one or the other belligerent's military to see what tactics and combat doctrines are effective.
>>
>>72172903
I actually know very little about this war except that it was vicious, they used chemical weapons, and tons of people on each side died.
>>
>>72178272
They do yell it a couple of times, listen closer. Not as frequent as today.
>>
>>72178400
>>72172903
Kind of impressive that in 30 years Iran went from slog fests to masters of asymetric warfare.

Especially when they haven't been involved in a war since.

Just goes to show you how important Hezbollah have been for Iran as a venue to test run tactics and baptist officers.
>>
Good times, Brazil was heavily involved in supporting Iraq during the war, it was the golden time for our defense industry, and a lot of construction companies gained a lot of money doing business in Iraq.

Too bad Saddam went full retard and invaded Kuwait afterwards. Then came the sanctions and many Brazilian companies in the construction and defense industries went bankrupt because Iraq didn't pay their contracts after the Gulf War.
>>
>>72173584
Iran was anti US/Israel. They used children in their Basiji Brigades as human mine sweepers. Persians be crazy
>>
>>72178349
The hands-on experience makes sense.

Another anon said their missiles sucked a fat one. Can anyone attest to this?
>>
RE: Best Korea's involvement.

https://warisboring.com/karbala-5-was-iran-s-bloodiest-battle-f38c9431c202#.7g0m1mybo

North Korea exported artillery to Iran, including the monstrous 170-millimeter Koksan howitzer with a 60-kilometer range. Tehran also purchased 240-millimeter and 333-millimeter multiple-rocket launchers from Pyongyang. These rockets have a range between 42 and 75 kilometers, and are capable of delivering up to 250 kilograms of high explosives or anti-tank cluster munitions.
>>
>>72179607
>the monstrous 170-millimeter Koksan howitzer with a 60-kilometer range.
Wew lad. Had no idea NK actually made anything decent
>>
>>72179110
Yeah thanks for that
>>
>>72179291

Their medium and long range missiles do. I can't speak to the quality of their shorter range missiles, but I've been led to believe they're significantly better by virtue of being simpler weapons to develop. They would generally only be effective for terror bombing enemy cities on account of their accuracy being measured in miles, not meters. So far they lack the capability to miniaturize their already low-yield nuclear weapons, but that's presumably what the missiles would best be used for.
>>
File: 1407593233278.png (538 KB, 702x540) Image search: [Google]
1407593233278.png
538 KB, 702x540
>A quality thread on /pol/
>Only 45 or so replies

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Anyway, on-topic and as an uninformed Amerifag, I do have a question. It seems like Iraq went apeshit with their use of chemical weapons that could be classified as WMDs. As such, why was it so difficult for the CIA and W to prove that Saddam still had leftover WMDs in the invasion of Iraq 12 years ago? With all the shit he used, it seemed like a no-brainer.
>>
>>72179607
>Koksan howitzer
>1-2 rounds every 5 minutes

Useless
>>
>>72177922

Is that an MG42?
>>
>>72176998
Iran was under sanctions and bought gas masks from the Norks as they were not initially prepared for chemical warfare
>>
>>72180918
He was forced to dispose of it all after the Gulf War.

But the US did eventually find chemical weapons in Iraq. Old ones dating back to the Iraq-Iran war. The right heralds this as vindication for the war, but by what fucking metric I can not fathom... the UN actually sealed up a lot of WMDs in Iraq that they couldn't or wouldn't dispose of in the 90s.

WMDs in Iraq was an easy go-to reason to present to teh public precisely for the reason you bring it up... everybody knew Saddam had used them, and that the nation still had some sealed away.
>>
>>72181254
It's an MG3, the Shah bought NATO weapons primarily from the west germans and set up factories to produce them under license, after the revolution the factories continued production into the war.
>>
>>72180918

He certainly had left over stocks, just nothing that would really pose a threat to any Western country. Some say CIA/MI6 just had bad sources in Iraq, some say Saddam deliberately played up his WMD capabilities to deter the Iranians, still others think that it was a deliberate lie in order to justify a war they wanted to launch anyway. There's compelling evidence and arguments for all of them, and also inconsistencies for all of them.

Honestly I don't think we'll ever know exactly what happened in the run-up to the Iraq or the real reasons the war was ever launched. I've been trying to figure that out for years and the whole thing makes less sense than it did when I started.
>>
>>72172903
you forgot to mention the passenger jet we shot down
>>
>>72180918

nobody doubted that he had the weapons and that they were from the iran war era. the narrative bush sold was that the he was restarting them, which there was never any proof of. The mobile weapons labs were actually helium tank trucks for weather balloons. Ahmed Chalabi and Curveball were slimy fucking liars.
>>
>>72178231
The Dear Leader is the ultimate weapon.
>>
File: 1378778146661.jpg (40 KB, 604x499) Image search: [Google]
1378778146661.jpg
40 KB, 604x499
>>72182051
>>72182705
>>72182991

Huh, understandable and simple enough to comprehend. I feel like that was never presented so concisely in the media coverage at the time, but being on the younger side, I don't remember that well. Also, this is the mainstream media I'm talking about after all.

Thanks for the clarifications.
>>
>>72182705
>I've been trying to figure that out for years and the whole thing makes less sense than it did when I started.

yeah, when people say
>For oil!

I just internally roll my eyes. I think it really came down to a flawed view the Bush admin viewed Muslims, Arabs and the ME in general. The idea that an organization like al Qaeda could be run so well without overt Arab nation support did not compute with them.
>>
>>72182705
How's it make less sense?
In 10 years the United States successfully destabilized 3 countries and effectively turned them into Jihadist free-for-alls.

Syria marks a 4th if you want to attribute that to the US.

This is a policy thats remained consistent across 4 presidential terms and 2 presidents from different parties.

The military industrial comlex is hungry and the middle-east and neighboring regions had just the right level of dictatorship, bad press, bad actors, and low economic development to be both a convincing threat and a safe bet to avoid destabilizing the global status quo.
>>
File: 1456688030137.jpg (161 KB, 1890x1417) Image search: [Google]
1456688030137.jpg
161 KB, 1890x1417
>>72183522

Posts like these make what's left of my inner bluepill shudder with fear, but it's completely believable.
>>
>>72183340

also, I believe that KSA pushed us to topple Hussein to their benefit. finally, maybe they actually believed their own propaganda: we'd be liberators, a new democratic nation (that we could influence) would emerge to lead the middle east to freedom and capitalism.

Perhaps it could have been done during GW1 in 1991. Large terrorist organizations were in their infancy, and islamists political organizations like the Muslim Brotherhood were being supressed all over the middle east. That may have been the time to do it, but Bush Sr had cold feet about full on regime change
>>
>>72183522
You speak the truth friend. Let's hope Syria may avert what happened to his neighbours before
>>
Iran also had dank beats
>dat rapped martyr list
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSPgX3LiCOA
>>
>>72172903
Yeah it was based.

It was basically World War 1 but taking place in the 1980s.

Trench warfare. Human wave attacks. Gas warfare. Imperialist proxies. Mass slaughter for no gains. It had it all. Shit was dope.

Its time we had another one like this. Pit two regional superpowers against eachother just to see them weaken eachother. Time to make war great again.
>>
What I'm given to understand is that the U.S. armed and provided intelligence to Iraq as a means to fuck with Iran during the Iran-Iraq war. The hope was Saddam would seize some Iranian oil fields and fuck them up....With tacit american support on the matter.
After that war wound down and Saddam didn't get any new Oil Fields he decided to invade Kuwait...And was utterly baffled as to why the U.S. suddenly went apeshit over his countries adventurism.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_aid_to_combatants_in_the_Iran%E2%80%93Iraq_War

That link shows the Saudis sent 20 billion to Iraq without a citation, can anyone confirm? I can't find anything. If that's true that makes my understanding of the history of ME geo politics even more of a clusterfuck considering 3 years after the iran Iraq war the Saudis were terrified of Saddam invading.
>>
>>72185117
>dat flag
>dat filename

kek
>>
>>72185472
After some research, Ive found that the Saudis provided 25 billion in low interest loans and grants. Saddam truly was a mad dog hell bent on regional hegemony.
>>
>>72185444
>And was utterly baffled as to why the U.S. suddenly went apeshit over his countries adventurism.

He decided to invade Kuwait because that little shit kingdom had been slowly encroaching on his oil fields to the south while he was busy saving the rest of the sunni gulf states from the Persian hordes.

After the war they started dumping massive amounts of oil on the market, along with some other smaller gulf states, and Saddam needed high prices to rebuild his country. So yeah, he certainly was baffled as to the US pulling a 180 on his Kuwaiti adventure.

He asked the US ambassador if the US would care if he invaded, she told him that we didn't have an opinion on the matter.
>>
>>72173267
You shot down that airliner I think.
>>
>>72185472
Can't confirm but it would make sense. Saddam's regime was a Sunni dominated government while the Iranians were Shiites and in fact are the most powerful Shiite country in the region. Just so happens that the House of Saud absolutely hates the Shiites with an unbridled passion. The problem of course is that after the Iran-Iraq War Saddam didn't achieve his goal of more oil and and the next likely targets would be his neighbors to the South.....And he still had a ton of resources, weapons, money and war equipment left over from the War he could use.
In short the Saud's played with fire in an attempt at fucking over their major religious/regional rival and realized shortly after they were going to get fucked.
>>
Didn't Iran have F-14s that they bought from the US? Did they fight Iraqi MiGs?
>>
>>72172903

I know Iranians used prisoners as live mine detectors and that both sides engaged in Tank Track POW executions.

Also only war since WW1 to have real trench and gas warfare.
>>
Wasn't this the war where there was a huge group of young men that volunteered to walk into minefields and set off the mines so that the real troops could cross safely.?
>>
File: f14-tomcat-animated-gif-1.gif (2 MB, 310x176) Image search: [Google]
f14-tomcat-animated-gif-1.gif
2 MB, 310x176
>why does nobody talk about this war?

Because most see it as arabs fighting arabs.

It was probably one of the most interesting wars and its the only real 'modern' war where sides were evenly matched other than the falklands.

>Crazy air battles with F-14s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-3_airstrike
>Attack helicopters having dogfights with other helicopters
>Trench warfare and chemical weapons
>Human wave attacks

They should make this into vidya
>>
>>72175328

Russians and Germans did the same.

Pack down POW. Spray them down with hoses, freeze to death in place. Use tank to flatten, now have road for trucks/bikes.
>>
>>72186668
>evenly matched other than the Falklands

>Falklands

>evenly matched

Nigga, you stomped those Argentine fuckers arse
>>
>>72176421

>America

>Side with Iran

fucking....wut....
>>
>>72186668
Nobody would want to play as either side.
>>
do we have footages of that war ?
also if you are into tanks video games
theres one about this war : steel armor blaze of war
>>
File: 1440119689463.png (274 KB, 765x587) Image search: [Google]
1440119689463.png
274 KB, 765x587
>>72176421
Norks have a pretty ok relationship with the iranians, I think most of their tanks still have NK optics and rangefinders
>>
>>72186886
Iran-Contra affair.
America (Or at the least the Reagan Administration because Congress had banned any weapon sales to Iran.) was selling advanced weapons to Iran (While also funding and giving weapons to Iraq.) to fund anti-communist death squads in Central America
>>
>>72186668
>falklands
>evenly matched
>>
>>72186653

>Volunteered

They were Iranian prisoners taken out of jails. At least that's what I was told.
>>
File: Helicalmag1.jpg (145 KB, 1278x595) Image search: [Google]
Helicalmag1.jpg
145 KB, 1278x595
>>72178231
Ak mags the helical kind.
>>
>>72186668
>Each Phantom refueled four times from the tankers, at the altitude of 300 ft (100 m)
Holy shit
>>
>>72176209
how do north korean "advisors" even get there? I thought most countries don't even recognize them as a real country. Do the chinese give them passports to travel?
>>
>>72172903
The Air war was crazy as fuck.
>>
>>72186886
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFV1uT-ihDo
>>
My girlfriends uncle died in this war
>>
>>72187327

Those are American-designed
>>
>>72180918
this is more of a /his/ thread
>>
>>72187163

You know WHY the Iran-Contra affair was, well, an affair right?

Because the U.S. was meant to be on extremely hostile terms with Iran.

Hell, they had to use two proxies (Israel, Lebanon) to get weapons to Iran for the hostage negotiations in the 80's.

One thing that gets overlooked - Jimmy Carter's people believed Reagen's people had a contact high up in Iran that deliberately extended the embassy siege to weaken Carter and boost Reagen. At the time it was dismissed as impossible that Reagen of all administrations would be consorting with the Iron Sheiks...
>>
>>72186496
Yea. The Iraqis just avoided any air space the F14s were in because they fucking raped the MiGs.
>>
>>72183865
Stick around a little longer. Putting up with this bullshit and learning about all the lies you were fed only gets harder to swallow.
>>
>>72182312
>MG3
>tfw firing this in the army was huger for me than losing my virginity
>>
>>72187163
I'm well aware of that yes. That's why I mentioned the fact that Congress had actually banned all sales to Iran due to it being a Terror State.
One of those things that should have really sunk Reagan.
>>
I wish I could expliain this conflict in depth especially with so many people seeming very interested, but even numerous books would only scratch the surface of the political, religious and ethnic discourse between the two nations.
>>
>>72188074
That's ok. I'm sure you'd be wrong.
>>
>>72186496
>>72187731
The French had to sell Iraq Air to Air missles so they could actually fight without being destroyed constantly.
>>
of course it was metal as fuck, just listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mBiuyP9bAc

(note, I do not necessarily agree with the lyrics; it's just a badass-sounding song)
>>
>>72172903
Because it's more fitting for his than pol, though I do agree, it's an interesting war
>>
>>72186849
>>72187236
They sunk 4 major ships of ours, we only sunk 1 major ship of theirs and a shitty ww2 sub.

It only came down to tactics and luck. Sea Harriers chose the best tricks to use, sinking the belgrano and vulcan strikes on stanley made them put the carrier and fighters further back.
>>
>>72188302

The U.K. really didn't put their back into it tbqh m8.
>>
>>72172903
Reading about the Iran-Iraq War changed me. It fucking terrifies me like no other war I've ever seen, and I'm a military buff. Randomly I'll just start thinking about it and I feel terrible.

It's so fucked up on so many levels. The shit they did to each other. The sheer amount of human life lost. The chemicals. The desert. The helicopters.

Fuck man, I hate thinking about this war.
>>
forgive my utter plebness, but are there any good movies / documentaries about the war?

don't really feel like reading a textbook 2bh
>>
File: 1449644160190.jpg (246 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449644160190.jpg
246 KB, 1920x1080
>>72188302
So you're telling me you got btfo by fucking Argies?
>>
based Iran
resisted US-backed Iraq and lived to mantain the balance of power in the Middle East to this very day
>>
>>72188402

Meh. It was pretty soft compared to WW1 and 2.

Good warm up material for the next eventual European total war.
>>
>both sides were pretty much equal in term of military power
No, Saddam had the backing of almost every arab states, the US, Soviet union and a shit ton of other countries and attacked Iran right after the revolution, when they were at its weakest. Saddam was the biggest pussy in history, he ended up begging for a cease-fire
>>
>>72188744
WW1 and WW2 are distant enough for me to not really make the same connection. Picture of the Iran-Iraq war look so modern and recent, and such horrific shit happened.

WW2 you've got guys running around with shit-ass rifles in dopey 1940s uniforms. It just doesn't feel the same as Iran-Iraq in terms of modernity. If I was conscripted into a war it would probably look a lot like the Iran-Iraq War with the gas-masks and assault rifles.
>>
>>72173267
I had 4 uncles forced to fight on the Iraq side. Had an uncle captured as a prisoner of war as well.

None of them ever talked about it though. The one that was a POW was in Iran for 10 years. The only stories my mom ever told me was how my uncle who was POW had to pretend he was a Muslim in order for them to not kill him.

When he was captured he buried his cross. I've always wanted to travel to Iraq with him and see if I could find it.

My grandma ended up spending a few months traveling to Iran and back in order to talk to officials in order to get him out.
>>
>>72188622
We won but not as decisively as people think.

People check the wiki page and see the fighter score without checking the ship score. Ships are worth a lot more than fighters.

If things had gone differently they very possibly could have sunk the whole British task force, with no hope of rescue and thousands dead.
>>
File: 1aGFPsO.gif (477 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1aGFPsO.gif
477 KB, 500x281
>>72185117

Iran vs. Saudi motherfuckers, can't wait for that happening
>>
>>72177538
All of the offensives in the later stages of the war were Iranian attacks against Basra, attacks that were defeated with massive casualties.
>>
>>72187478
There's a little thing called aviation where you can travel through the sky, over and above countries like China.
>>
>>72188744
the next real war is going to be the most horrific thing in human history.

And literally everyone is going to be able to document it. (Unless it starts very soon, but I doubt it will start for at least another decade)
>>
>>72188302
Cool fact, my great grandfather commanded the Belgrano in ww2 when it was an American cruiser.
>>
>>72185923

yeah, and then after the war Hussein's country was so decimated, and he had lost a million men or something like that. He asked KSA to absolve the loans and they still wanted him to pay them back.
>>
>>72187862
What always amused me is the U.S. and the U.K. are pretty much responsible for the state of Iran....What with deposing a secular moderate and more importantly...A democratic Iranian Government and putting the Shah in charge on the fear (Which was later admitted to be paranoid.) fear that if they didn't overthrow the Iranian Government then the Russki's would.
The Shah was a brutal and corrupt autocrat with a decadent streak and his policies pissed off enough Apolitical Iranians as well as fears of their government being a puppet for western powers, it's not a surprise that a revolution was soon bubbling.
>>
>>72189136
...which involves going through airspaces other than your own

are the chinese flying them from place to place?
>>
>>72189260
did he live to see it sunk?
>>
>>72189630

we were still on friendly terms with Iran right after the revolution -- bc the mullahs were anti commies -- for about the first year. Then Carter allowed the Shah to come to the US for last ditch effort cancer treatment and that set the Ayatollah off, the Embassy was stormed and the hostages were held for like 430 days.

The Iranians over reacted but in hindsight we should have told the shah to fuck off. he failed us anyway.

Those Iranians must have really hated the shah
>>
File: 1442323885194.png (35 KB, 506x353) Image search: [Google]
1442323885194.png
35 KB, 506x353
>>72172903
>>widespread use of chemical weapons
only by iraqi's. Iran's supreme leader declared chemical weaponry as against islam.

>equal
no they weren't
>>
>>72186042
You're also a part of NATO, retard.
>>
>>72189694
What the fuck are you going on about? North Koreans got to Iran by flying from North Korea to Iran. You don't need to get your passport checked for every country's airspace that you pass through...
>>
File: USA-Iran.jpg (182 KB, 650x632) Image search: [Google]
USA-Iran.jpg
182 KB, 650x632
>>72189630
>What always amused me is the U.S. and the U.K. are pretty much responsible for the state of Iran
pic related
>>
>>72190126
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

>the faggot who shot down a passenger airplane got promoted
>never even apologized.
no wonder the USA supports the terrorist saudis
>>
>>72190058
Well yeah, that and cause the U.S. had overthrown their previous government (A secular democracy.) to install a King. (Cause DEMOCRACY!) The Iranians were still a little salty about it. But yeah, America not handing the Shah over was probably the last straw.
>>
>>72188205
no one commented on this face-melting song?? really??? :(
>>
Any good books to read on this?
>>
>>72172903
>i know the war didn't really change anything politically, but holy shit

If that war didn't happen it's very unlikely th Gulf war or Iraq occupation would have even taken place.
>>
>>72190617

sure they hated us for overthrowing Moddadegh too. I honestly can't blame Iranians for hating us. we have been fucking with them since the oil fields were discovered.
>>
>>72191170
The Great War for Civilisation has a few interesting chapters on it.
>>
>>72191427
U.S. Foreign Policy during the Cold War seemed tailor made to get a significant portion of the world to hate our guts. Not that the Russians were well regarded either, but that's no excuse.
>>
>>72172903
"White Peace" wars are boring. It's an historical fact. Name one "tie" which was interesting.
>>
>>72191348

well, Hussein didn't absolutely have to invade Kuwait. but that was the catalyst for the US to create permanent bases in KSA, to protect them from Iraq, but also to ensure the House of Saud did not fall. and that gave a now directionless muhajadeen and infantile al qaeda a new purpose after the Afghan war with russia ended. Infidels that have encroached on the holiest of muslim lands would not be tolerated.
>>
>>72173485
To defeat the Semite, you must become the Semite
>>
File: The Final Red Pill.png (91 KB, 904x628) Image search: [Google]
The Final Red Pill.png
91 KB, 904x628
>>72182705
The more i look at Iraq war the more i begin to believe the seemingly pointless war had the purpose of the pushing of Islam into Europe all along to start the "NWO". Isis etc. Pic related.
>>
>>72173751
How does it feel knowing you're as witty as Jon Oliver or Bill Maher, but you're wasting your life on /pol/ whereas they tell the same jokes with a staged audience and make a million a year?
>>
Father fought in it but jumped ship early because he was a Bahai. He never says anything about it, wish I knew more.

I do know he fucking hates Muslims though. pic related, him in the middle.
>>
File: Capture.png (8 KB, 205x183) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
8 KB, 205x183
>>72190085
>Israel supported Iran
>>
>>72176653
How else will the Sandinistas fall?
>>
>>72187608
>implying a proper /his/ thread doesn't worship nigger penis
>>
>>72192318
>Bahai
>Hates muslims
0/10 faggot
>>
Amazon has a fantastic documentary on it, search Modern Warfare: Iran-Iraq War on amazon video
>>
>>72192155
>implying AIPAC doesn't effectively make US the Semite
>>
>>72192328
>militant, organized, nationalist state invading neighbor in your back yard
>neighbor is disorganized, fresh off a revolution, trying to get back on its feet

Iran was the weaker country. It makes sense for Israel to back the enemy of their enemy.
>>
>>72188205
>>72190782
bulgariabro, you still there? metal's normally not my cup of tea, but damn you were right about it fitting this war. that guitar riff at the beginning is insane. pretty good song lad
>>
>>72192328
Iraq had a nuclear program that was a major threat to the Israeli nuclear monopoly, which is THE key factor to the Israeli security policy. Israel bombed an Iraqi reactor during the Iran-Iraq war. Later they also bombed the Syrian nuclear reactor, and as you know they often threatened to bomb the Iranian nuclear reactors.

It's a consistent and key area of Israeli foreign policy.
>>
>>72192548
Kind of hard to follow the whole 'love and unity' nonsense when Muslims are involved

enjoy your (You)
>>
>>72192518
You have been banned from /his/.

Reason: We don't need that /pol/ shit here.

You were posting as anonymous. Your post was:

Europe was wealthy in the early modern period compared to the rest of the world.

Your ban expires in 3 days. You cannot appeal this ban because I'm an arbitrary cunt.
>>
>>72192891
thats a canadian
>>
File: bush.jpg (99 KB, 800x421) Image search: [Google]
bush.jpg
99 KB, 800x421
>>72176640
>>72176998
Iran was already instigating and attempting to push its revolution across the borders. They set up subversive Shiite groups. Primarily the Badr Organization which still holds a lot of political/military power in modern day Iraq. Saddam really just wanted to give Iran a black eye and leave after stirring up the Iranian Arab population as a response to Iran's political actions in Iraq. They were fairly surprised when Iran responded immediately with strategic bombing.
>>
Fucking horrible useless war, reminds me of WW1. Wars need to be fought for a real purpose.
>>
Was there any sectarian aspect?
I know that both countries are majority Shi'a, but Saddam was Sunni ofc.

It's just really weird to imagine those two countries going at it, given the current climate.
And to think it was the American invasion that brought them together.
>>
File: 1449725460719.jpg (31 KB, 640x452) Image search: [Google]
1449725460719.jpg
31 KB, 640x452
>>72193098
btw the Iraqi plan to insight rebellion among the Iranian arabs was a complete failure.
>>
>>72192548
Gee, why would a genuine Baha'i follower (not the western trendy poser faggots) find issue with their historical oppressors?
>>
>>72192328
israel sold iran weapons during the iraq-iran war. At the time Iraq was the bigger threat. During the iraq-iran war Israeli launched an air assault against Hussein's nuclear facility bc they were afraid he was close to getting nukes. Hussein, in response, took his nuclear program underground but he never got as close again to making weapons grade nuclear material as he did in the early 80s
>>
>>72193105
The last time America fought a war for a purpose 3 million niggers got freed
>>
>>72192886
thanks, bro, it's a timeless thing that transcends genres and echoes into eternity!

what are you into then? For a thread like that, I expected exactly metal from you.
>>
>>72193153
Certainly, Saddam was afraid of a Shia uprising (or "revolution") that Iran was actively setting up in Iraq. Part of the Iraqi war plan was to incite revolt among Iran's Arab minority also. (It failed completely) Iran also once again supported the Iraqi Kurds against Saddam.
>>
>>72176421
Reagan did by selling weapons to Iran vie Israel.

Look up Iran-Contra affair.

The jews who run the US though it would be nice to fund both sides for maximum kebab rekkage
>>
>>72186668
>Each Phantom refueled four times from the tankers, at the altitude of 300 ft (100 m), which was risky and far below any safety standards (aerial refueling is normally performed at 22,000 ft).
the H-3 airstrike never ceases to amaze me. truly some star wars type stuff right there. the fact that they refueled from a fucking 747 at that low of an altitude is mind-boggling. at night, too. deep into hostile territory. literally no room for error whatsoever, lest everybody dies in a giant fiery explosion. fucking unbelievable.
>>
>>72179246
The idea being that they might be too light to set off a mine if they stepped on it?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViUtjA1ImQc

This is a great docu, slighly related as it deals with Gulf War.
Quality shit for quality thread
>>
>>72193928
which is why saddam gassed the shit out of them, because they sided with the enemy in hopes that an Iranian victory would give them the sovereign state they have always wanted. well that didn't happen and they got punished.

Its a dick move by Hussein but even back in 03 when people would exclaim "but Saddam gassed his own people!" they showed that they didnt have an understanding that tribe, ethnicity and islamic sect mattered more than nationality in the ME.
>>
>>72193452
rap and electronic, mostly. although i lean more towards the grungy/harsh/experimental side, like death grips, wu-tang, or vince staples.the electronic i listen to is mostly just fast-paced and intense stuff that gets me pumped up, but aphex twin and BoC make some pretty chill music that i like a lot too.
>>
The Iran–Iraq War was an armed conflict between Iran and Iraq lasting from September 1980 to August 1988

>All of the best metal music was made during this war
Literally the most metal war.
>>
>>72182705
>Honestly I don't think we'll ever know exactly what happened in the run-up to the Iraq or the real reasons the war was ever launched.

lol

Here are your answers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoB80Yk9NYg
>>
>>72192985
This. The board is infested with literal WE WUZ historians.
>>
File: good luck behind 7 goyim jew.jpg (155 KB, 800x527) Image search: [Google]
good luck behind 7 goyim jew.jpg
155 KB, 800x527
>>72183522
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4vD6JpJAFI
>>
>>72192876
>>72192940
>>72193330
>defending Die Juden
>>
>>72172903
>it was metal as fuck.
It may be the whiskey, but I cracked up
>>
>>72192952
>>72193300
The whole point of the bahai faith is that they believe that all three religions come from the same god. They cannot believe in that and at the same time hate one of the religions. It's like being only 2/3 bahai. What a joke. Not saying that I don't hate muslims, I hate them with passion, just that a bahai hating muslims is just retarded
>>
>>72188622

People assume the Falklands was a one-sided colonial curbstomp but it really wasn't.

consider that
1. The ARA had the same warships the British did (Type 42 frigates, bought from Britain)
2. They had better anti-ship missiles (British harriers had no antiship capability)
3. The Argentine Army had the same rifles plus full auto capability
4. The Argentine Army had better nightvision (US-made starlight scopes smaller and lighter than the ones in British service)
5. The Argentines were operating closer to port and within range of land-based air cover
6. The British were at the extreme limit of their force projection with no nearby ports or airbases
7. Britain had almost no expeditionary capability and had to jury-rig it with cargo freighters and passenger liners just to get to the theater

On the way there, the Royal Air Force slapped sidewinders on their ground attack harriers because it was a very real possibility that the Royal Navy's tiny number of Sea Harriers would be lost. The war could have gone badly very easily.
>>
File: persecution-mania sodom.jpg (150 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
persecution-mania sodom.jpg
150 KB, 1000x1000
>>72188982
>gas-masks and assault rifles.

METAL
Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.