[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does going to college matter anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 1800x505) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 1800x505
Im a princeton grad, and i feel more than anything that the only thing that i got from my 4 years of education was having some smart friends to bounce my ideas off of. And i can make smart friends anywhere really, i didnt need princeton for that. Most ppl at princeton were overachieving retards anyway.. People with a 120 iq who studied their vagina off in high school type ppl. I think with wikipedia, community college and cheap online college improvements etc- spending 150,000$ on college is an obscenely unintelligent move. Nobody gives a shit where you went to college. it doesnt matter. You will run into retards and geniuses wherever you go.
>>
Short answer is no, degree is equivalent to 4 years experience in your field if lucky.

/sage
>>
>>72035165

What did you graduate in, OP?
>>
I think its for networking. The type of people you meet at princeton will most likely be in a highly paid job. You might need there help later on when you own your own business. While the people at regular tech university have a higher chance of saying fuck school and my degree and become something less important. While you can still get there help with changing your engine, your princeton friends can fake your insurance, tax and such.
>inb4 anyone can do any of these
>>
>>72035165
I don't know who you are, but just from reading your post I can tell that you are NOT a Princeton grad.
>>
>>72035165
ITT: lazy useless lardasses who want to stay at home inside their room, jacking off to anime their whole life

>inb4 salty replies
>>
>>72035165
Going to Princeton I feel matters OP. Seems like they would likely know what they are doing and actually teach you something. But I could be wrong.

I went to community college first to get my associates and am now currently finishing my undergrad at a state school. I feel like it was a smarter move because I'm only going to owe about $15k-$20k, but I seriously feel like I learned absolutely jack shit about anything important. I've had a few classes where I've taken away something useful, but most of them felt like a waste of my time because they weren't important or just plain useless. I'm studying law though so maybe that's different with other majors.

I would have dropped out a long time ago but employers just like seeing that cheap piece of paper saying you graduated
>>
>>72035942

Computer Science grad here.
They could have easily shortened the degree to 1 year. More than 70℅ of the shit I learned I will never use again.

Also I will never get the prime years of my youth back where I basically spent my years studying in my room instead of dating chicks. Even broke up with my GF of 4 years because I thought school is more important.

Needless to say that I didn't get laid ever since, my Fitness has deteriorated and I have to fight off crushing periods of Depression.

If you just want to get the degree for the sake of the piece of paper and for buying into the STEM meme, you are doomed to end like me.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (129 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
129 KB, 1920x1080
You had fun, didn't you?
>>
>>72035165
Here's some red pill from an elder.

It doesn't matter what education level you have, in the free market what matter is how much value you can bring to a business.

Value is expressed in many different ways, degrees simply help you prove you have value but alone they don't teach you to operate well inside a corporate environment. If you're smart and you dont get a degree but work those 3-4 years then you'll have gained all the skills required for corporate work in that time, it's a trade off whether or not the degree was worth it, if you're smart and can learn that stuff in your own time, or on the job, then a degree was nothing but a lot of debt.

I dropped out after 2 years of uni, I entered the work force about 2 years before my friends, now in my early 30's I'm and IT Director where as many of my friends are stuck still working their way up the corp ladder.

It was not that long ago that smart people were saying don't do a degree unless it's in STEM, what I would say is that your value to the business will become clear during your employment and you're far better off studying laissez faire economics, and a technical skills in your own time while also working and gaining a reputation.

Literally no one gives a fuck about how you know what you know,all they give a fuck about is how can you make them money, that's absolutely central to being successful.
>>
>>72037289
I should add that vs my friends who do stuff technical like development, they earn a decent salary, but as someone who's progressed to management in that time I earn more.

Not only that but by dropping out of uni earlier I've accrued less debt, which means I have my student loans paid off and receive more money per month than they do because they still have another 5-10 years of re-payment left.

At least in the UK the student loans are taken straight out your pay, so even if someone who theoretically goes to uni and ends up in a better position than me in 2-4 years, they still get less money because they're still paying back a debt that I don't owe which means I take home more than they do.
>>
>>72037289
What's your take on people who did shit like the cadets and life skills? Do they increase the chances of getting a job or what?
>>
>>72038682
Depends entirely on the job. You have to always be thinking how your skills will present value to your employer, or how you can market them for money if you're self employed.

But generally no, I have no idea what those kind of skills would add benefit to.
>>
>>72035165
Well op I went to both medicine and law colleage at the same time because I was undecided.In the end I managed to go through both of them while sacrificing my youth and I have to say it was worth it.Although I only work as a Doctor now , the skils I learned in Law scholl help me im my everyday life since it gave me notions of economics and bureucracy thad I had no grasp before.
>>
>>72035165
>Does going to college matter anymore?
both my parents could start to work at 16, my father taking schooling through work later. It was normal at this time, a few had "videregående" or "gymnasium" that followed for 3 years. If you had that, wow you had some edu n shiiit
uni degrees was relatively rare.

With my gen we had to take this gymnasium, then later on a university or college degree. First was bachelor, now everyone must have master degrees.....

Standards are lowered because people are not all smart enough for this.. So yeah everything is down the drain tbqh. Gone that way since 94
>gov hiding economic crisis by educating people, now it's exploding
>there are no jobs
fuck this shit I loved the 90ies, was headhunted everyone in buis was there for the code, and actually loved this shit, so everyone was awesome. Then came these schooled people, only doing my job.. even women.. my God it sucks today (development/engineering). I took school later. It's worth toiletpaper by now

Bachelor, Then master while working, but not done thesis.
>>
>>72039475
Im not sure what the cadets entail but it sounds sort of military. That can definatily be valuable. Loyalty, respect, dedication and comradery is what i think about when i think about the military. thats something i'd value as an employer, anyways.
>>
>>72035942
Most of the shit i learned at princeton i could have learned online or at a community college. The stuff you do get from some professors is pure gold, like how we are actually robots, and computers are awake, sort of shit, but it doesnt help u except when ur trying to impress some autistic prostitute.
I know this serbian stripper who has an extremely small, microcephalic-tier head who thinks that a persons value depends on what knowledge they have.
Shes a typical serbian tho, with a sub 90 iq, because she got mad when i told her you get payed in this world for what you can do that others cant do, not for what you read in a textbook. How many engineers could write a book? All of them. Maybe not a good one, but they could get their point across. How many people whos strengths are in language/writing can engineer? Hardly any of them.
Soon,people are going to get payed closer to what they deserve. Steve jobs tier people wont become billionares as often, but steve Wozniak tier ppl will make bank. The important thing to remember is that engineers are born. Yeah it requires work, but kobe bryant probably wouldnt make much trying to build computer just like wozniak wouldnt make much trying to dunk over a 7 foot tall nba player.
Until information becomes expensive, which may happen someday, college is stupendously overpriced.
>>
>>72035399
>does going to college
Not highschool that's for sure
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.