[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.kiro7.com/news/is-algebr a-an-unnecessary-stumbli
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: wakemeup.png (423 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
wakemeup.png
423 KB, 640x360
http://www.kiro7.com/news/is-algebra-an-unnecessary-stumbling-block-in-us-schools/182901190

>That question muttered by many a frustrated student over the years has become a vigorous debate among American educators, sparked by a provocative new book that argues required algebra has become an unnecessary stumbling block that forces millions to drop out of high school or college.

>"One out of 5 young Americans does not graduate from high school. This is one of the worst records in the developed world. Why? The chief academic reason is they failed ninth-grade algebra," said political scientist Andrew Hacker, author of "The Math Myth and Other STEM Delusions."

>Hacker, a professor emeritus at Queens College, argues that, at most, only 5 percent of jobs make use of algebra and other advanced math courses. He favors a curriculum that focuses more on statistics and basic numbers sense and less on (y - 3)2 = 4y - 12.
>>
Can confirm, paid somebody to pass algebra for me

What a shit class
>>
Initially I was upset but I haven't used algebra since sophomore year of highschool 8 years ago. We need to teach kids more on how to do taxes, get mortgages, repair things etc. You know, useful shit.
>>
Algebra is easy. Calculus can go fuck itself.
>>
File: crash.gif (2 MB, 333x251) Image search: [Google]
crash.gif
2 MB, 333x251
Part of the value of math isn't necessarily that you solve equations at work all day, but that you learn how to think abstractly and know how to apply information you can observe or measure and infer things you cannot observe or measure. This is just another example of "quick, lower the standards so everyone can pretend they're a winner."
>>
File: fuckthisgayearth.gif (2 MB, 390x285) Image search: [Google]
fuckthisgayearth.gif
2 MB, 390x285
>>69067375
>>
File: 1438432217515s.jpg (4 KB, 124x120) Image search: [Google]
1438432217515s.jpg
4 KB, 124x120
>>69067792
>Get mortgages
Easy as shit
>taxes
Also easy as shit.

For any job with any technicality, Algebra is REALLY basic in knowing how to set up relationships properly, as a precursor to Calculus and future mathematics. Even if you're not doing the equation by hand, a basic sense of how and why something works the way it does is important for any kind of non-manual work.
>>
No wonder China/Japan/SE Asia is destroying us.

2x = x + 3
2x - x = x + 3 - x
x = 3

GEE, THIS WAS INCREDIBLY HARD FOR MY FEEBLE NIGGER MIND.

I'll just prepare myself for our new SE Asian overlords. Western civilization is fucked at this rate.
>>
>>69067375
Oh god please tell me you didn't post this on /sci/
>>
>>69067375
>Silly goyim, math is for Jews
>>
>>69067375
I honestly sort of agree. I've never really used algebra after highschool and I'm 29 now.
>>
>>69067375
And then you wonder why your retard country needs to import brains from over the world to do actual intellectual work.
Algebra is a pretty fucking important step for anything leading up to physics/chemistry/engineering even programming. It’s actually a must for anything related to science. If you can solve simple as shit equations like this how do you ever hope of solving complex differential equations. To us non-retard countries this is just proof of how far gone you guys are, you will just decline into oblivion because you have failed to educate the coming generations to basic fucking math that have been known and understood for thousands of years for Christ’s sake.
This triggers me big time. It means your dumb ass know-nothing teachers are considering letting go of any hope to educate engineers in the future (a pretty fucking important job in 2016).
Sigh I am disappointed in you ameribros.
>>
File: fycultural-marxism.png (330 KB, 514x450) Image search: [Google]
fycultural-marxism.png
330 KB, 514x450
Welcome to another case of Cultural Marxism's quest for ultimate destruction.
>>
>>69067375
What's the plan when they have to take calculus and trig just to get a simple business degree? Oh yeah, they'll be liberal arts majors. Thanks Bernie.
>>
>>69068090
>I've never really used algebra after highschool and I'm 29 now.

How? Do you never need to find out relative percentages?
>>
>>69067488
I said Venti Latte...
>>
>>69067832
>>69068006

None of this is how algebra is taught in high school though. In high school everyone is taught algebra for the sake of algebra, not what relation it has to any other form of thinking. Its a complete waste of time like the rest of high school, people just wasting all their time learning about specific subjects in a vacuum, independent of one another.
>>
>>69067817

what? the hardest part about calculus is the ridiculous algebra in the problems. the concepts of calculus are easy as fuck
>>
File: Capture.jpg (81 KB, 1085x540) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
81 KB, 1085x540
>>69067375
http://mondoweiss.net/2007/07/the-implosion-o/
>>
>>69068090
And how do you like your pizza boy/McFatty minimum wage job?

Anyone who agrees with this just never went into actual science. You might get along with a part of your economy being MBA leeches profiting for other peoples brains but once there is no more science being done in your country it will quickly become irrelevant.
>>
>>69067488
Can't get over your x? y?
>>
Algebra 1 is as far as anyone not considering an Engineering or Science degree needs.

Anything after that is just a waste of brain space and effort that could be put to work with classes you'll actual value later on.
>>
Shit, really? Fucking white people are niggering up their own education too? When will the ride end?
>>
File: 1362960884712.png (102 KB, 241x228) Image search: [Google]
1362960884712.png
102 KB, 241x228
>learn algebra in literally 3rd grade
>7 years old
>18 year old "kids" can't learn it
>>
Honestly I think kids should choose their own classes. That way the kids who actually want to try do math.
>>
File: comic.php.gif (27 KB, 700x486) Image search: [Google]
comic.php.gif
27 KB, 700x486
>>69067375
>>
>>69068589
>tfw working both of those jobs
I never asked for this.
>>
>>69067375
>One out of 5 young Americans does not graduate from high school

~20% nigger population in US

makes sense
>>
>>69067375
The point of algebra isnt about "(y - 3)2 = 4y - 12", it is about how to take real world "problems" and turn in them into "math". The issue with US education is the questions only ever say "solve for x" and never teach you that the function represents something in real life.

Honestly though, I agree. If you arent going to be in a STEM field, introduction to the basic concepts of algebra is all the average person needs. Leave math to those who actually want to do it.
>>
>>69068586
EVERY
>>
>>69068149
LOL only retarded plebs do math
>>
>>69068978
the album is missing a PARENTAL ADVISORY logo
>>
File: 1447721687733.gif (1000 KB, 500x525) Image search: [Google]
1447721687733.gif
1000 KB, 500x525
>the quadratic formula is too hard for amerifats
>>
>>69067375

Need to teach kids how to budget money and keep up with a checking account
>>
>>69069046
I say replace math with courses on Logic and basic moral philosophy. I said BASIC. People forget the 50% of the population with less than 100 IQ.
>>
>>69068804
When no one can read numbers to determine how fast it's going.
>>
>>69068787
> Engineering or Science
Probably the only two real wealth generating fields besides natural resources extraction left (aside from jew-"culture") the rest are all just profiting from what your big tech companies/military contractor are generating. If you cant train the next generation of R&D workers you are pretty much fucked for the future.
>>
>>69069161
>American flag
>>
>>69067375
Past Algebra II, math isn't necessary for your average jack off. Agree or disagree?
>>
Someone solve the question
>>
>>69067375
>He favors a curriculum that focuses more on statistics
so one easily skewed to his narrative eh?
>>
How will you teach stats when they can't even solve for X?
>>
File: like burgers.png (178 KB, 333x363) Image search: [Google]
like burgers.png
178 KB, 333x363
>>69067375
To be honest, I kind of agree with this.

I was actually thinking today how little algebra I actually use in my daily life, and I'm someone with a really fucking good job.

It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you stop and think about it.
>>
>>69067375
How can you have any "basic number sense" or statistics if you don't even understand the most basic algerbra?

wtf is this.
>>
>>69069063

FUCKING
>>
>>69069419
>>
>>69069161
You forgot to turn off your proxy, Mr. Britbong
>>
>the dumb retard kids who had trouble with math in school are adults now and want to remove math from schools
Wow it's almost like antiintellectualism is a hideous cancer.
>>
>>69069324
I agree if it means simply doing more years of actual algebra, so people can really crasp it. Hell, 90% of the material I did in physics was algebra, and I did a minor. It actually became a running joke with the guys in class. We would always say "remember, it's just fucking algebra" to calm ourselves down before tests.

Truth is, most of it was pretty much just algebra, even "advanced" stuff.
>>
I learned algebra in 5th grade and taught myself how to program in 6th grade.
>>
>>69069477
You could make that argument for literally anything you learned in school. The point is it teaches you how to "think"
>>
>>69067375
we should need be required to LEARN A LANGUAGE other than English, fucking EVER. that much I know to be true at least.

ideally children should simply choose what course they want to take in regard to math. I'd say science, history, and English are obvious necessities, but math is truly only useful for very specific jobs. you do not NEED math for most things as math is usually used as something to provide proof for your findings/theories and such in fields where math is not a direct requirement. if a kid aspired to be an astronaut they will give him the math courses accordingly

unfortunately however, we are a decadent society, though children will never be able to make good choices when it comes to school in any society, so we have to make them take all the base math courses. some children may just say fuck it and skip math if they had the option where if they didn't have the option and were required, they might have ended up as a professional who delves in math after seeing how much they actually enjoyed it.
>>
>something is hard
>it's therefore unnecessary

millennial thinking at it's fucking finest.

man up. learn something. apply yourself. for fuck's sake.
>>
>>69069477
>>69067375
seriously when will anyone ever use algebra that isnt an engineer or such? if i want to be a doctor why do i need to know fucking algebra?
>>
File: jenkins.gif (494 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
jenkins.gif
494 KB, 500x344
>>69067375
>(y - 3)2 = 4y - 12
y = 3
>>
>>69069672
Yes but if you never use it you lose it.
>>
File: 1451427770020.png (229 KB, 365x336) Image search: [Google]
1451427770020.png
229 KB, 365x336
>barely pass precalc
>borderline fail calc I
>tfw too stupid to get through calc II
i wanna die tbqh
>>
File: 1426035663449.jpg (146 KB, 722x835) Image search: [Google]
1426035663449.jpg
146 KB, 722x835
>>69069477
This type of shit is the reason a high school degree is worthless these days. Don't worry about the fact that many inccer-city high school are functionally illiterate, lets go ahead and dumb it down some more to make the numbers look better.

Free community college for everyone!
>>
>>69069324
The best thing Algebra teaches is abstract problem solving skills and the ability to equate numbers to real-life scenarios. Really, there's not much use for the average layman to know much actual algebra at all, it's the skills he would gain by doing it that matters.

I would say that Algebra is inherently necessary just in it's ability to keep a population smart so I would wager that we should keep it as is.
>>
>go to school
>learn to repeat back everything I am told
>somehow this is good
>leave uni with only 80k debt
>cant find job, no idea why
>fucking boomers
>>
>>69069477
Probably some marketing, HR or MBA fag. Dont you understand all these are worthless without people actually inventing new stuff to sell? No one is going to generate any new invention (beside apple peeler or some useless shit) if you dont have scientist and engineers. Think about the big companies creating wealth in the US right now. Google/Apple/Microsoft/Lock Heed etc... these all need a TON of smart engineer, people who drop out on algebra because "HUUNNN? Its toooooo haaard" are just never gona cut it.
>>
>>69069218
>replace math with courses on Logic
Math is logic. How the fuck can you even learn "logic" anyways? That's not a subject, that's a whole branch of philosophy.
>moral philosophy
Moral relativism.
>>
File: sponge.png (441 KB, 530x394) Image search: [Google]
sponge.png
441 KB, 530x394
The class I hated was American Literature. We had to write poems and shit.
>>
>>69069810
If you want language to be successfully taught then it has to be consistently taught since childhood.
>>
>>69067375
>/pol/ edgily feels it has to love everything liberals dont like

wow. algebras shit and unless youre an engineer, or scientist or some other job that you already require much higher degrees than "can do algebra" you dont reallg need it.

you all call common core dumb but tote algebra around as the second coming of christ, is it because you grew up with it?
>>
>>69069293
>>69069562
No, I'm from Florida. Don't lump me in with you normies.
>>
This world is going down a dark dark path

They should make university harder, not easier.

This "everyone needs a degree" meme needs to stop.
>>
File: 1408455318668.jpg (218 KB, 637x960) Image search: [Google]
1408455318668.jpg
218 KB, 637x960
>>69069889
>Free community college for everyone!

Most local CC do offer free college if you have a HS degree from that area though.

I'm just saying, I'd rather we teach kids about taxes and running a business, over forcing them to take a subject that only 1% of them will ever use.
>>
>>69070090
>Florida
Man, how pathetic.
>>
Honestly, who can't learn algebra?

it's literally the easiest math to learn

solve for the variable using basic addition, subtraction, and multiplication

only niggers can't figure this shit out
>>
>>69067375
But how? That's basic math, like something you learn in 6th or 7th grade.

>only 5 percent of jobs make use of algebra and other advanced math courses
Oh I call bullshit on that one.
>>
>>69069826
are you serious?
The simplest example I can think of is that in medicine we need a goo understanding of units, like U/L, mmol/L, gl, pg, fl etc etc. when I look at a hematology for example. and all that (unit conversion and relevance) is deeply rooted in basic algebra.
>>
>>69069878
This will sound like faggotry, but you're probably not studying a much a you could if you're honest with yourself.

Math is like learning a language. You have to do at least a little bit EVERY day for it to stick. If you have to actually do the review practice questions in the days leading up to it, you don't understand the material well enough.

Do the homework, then do it again, and/or pick other unassigned questions to do. Math becomes enjoyable once you figure out how to actually study it.
>>
>>69069672

but the logical processes you are supposed to learn with math are not being taught in schools. they're being taught the answers to the test.

its a side effect of a much larger problem.

though i do agree. high school should have things like how to do finances, how taxes work, street law, etc. i'd even go as far to say car maintenance and self defense
>>
>>69067375
>ninth-grade algebra
What the fuck? Isn't Algebra done in 7th grade at the latest?
>>
A working understanding of algebra is required to understand any kind of computer software coding language.
Which, will be required in all future jobs.
>>
>>69068014
>SE Asian overlords <SE Asia

You must be SE Asian - most likely Filipino - because SE Asians are as stupid as niggers and it is an insult you try to compare superior East Asians with low-IQ SE Asians. The only people in SE Asian who are 'smart' are those with East Asian backgrounds (mostly from China).
>>
>>69067375

>"We should encourage our populace to compete in technical and competitive fields instead of unskilled labor"
>'We should stop teaching them Algebra"
>'"We need to sign more trade treaties even if it creates unemployment and destroys low skill work"

Managed Decline ladies and gentlemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WAQcQuARU8
>>
>>69069826
If you want to do anything in the medical field, you'll be doing a shit load of algebra you stupid cunt
>>
File: 1456897926184.jpg (19 KB, 350x202) Image search: [Google]
1456897926184.jpg
19 KB, 350x202
>Falling for the STEM meme.
>>
>>69070177
The only real states are Florida and Texas. If you are from anywhere else then you are essentially a eurokek that doesn't know true freedom. So sad.
>>
Algebra is taught so abstractly and in ways where it is almost unusable or impractical. The only time I ever saw a practical application was finding the curve of a tunnel to see if a semi could fit through
>>
>>69067375
>5 % of jobs use algerbra
but 100% of fucking life does, if you can't fucking solve for variables you will get cheated your entire fucking life.
>>
>>69070054
I meant we should not have to. if your faggot ass wants to learn another language in the US then you can choose it as an elective course, or learn it on your own. yet they REQUIRE us to take 2 years I think of another language.

what's the fucking point of that? we common Joe English speakers don't need to learn shit in the 21st century, especially Americans.
>>
I got fucked in the ass by abstract algebra in university. Fuck that course. I don't know why anyone would ever use that shit in real life.
>>
>>69070236
Not anymore.

I would wager that Algebra will be regulated to college within 10-20 years time unless there is a major upheaval in our school system.
>>
Meanwhile, I have to take Statistics right now in college and it's just awful. You don't learn any fucking math, just how to plug shit into a calculator.
>>
>>69070108
STEM degrees are difficult subjects. I don't know how it is in Germany but over here, for example, if you wanted to get a biology degree you would have to know organic chemistry, and ask anyone that's ever taken it, unless they are autistic that subject is fucking painful. The dindus and other minorities at my school even petitioned for the school to curve that class, because something like 20% of people were passing. So they did.
>>
>>69070438
Algebra should be taught much later in life. I am aware that Singapore teaches Algebra somewhere like at grade 10. I would agree that this would be the best way to go forward.
>>
File: 1459123845657.jpg (38 KB, 198x226) Image search: [Google]
1459123845657.jpg
38 KB, 198x226
Sanitation engineer here i can confirm math is for NERDS and faggot cancucks.
>>
>>69070037
Equations can be used to demonstrate formal logic. It can be made very simple, and explaining in normal languages that is intuitive to even a stupid person because normal daily concepts can be used as premises instead of numerical variables. You can take it in most colleges.
>>
>>69069625

Yes because velocity (calc)
Anything with electricity (trig-calc)
Weights/pully systems anything with direction (pre-cal)

If you wanted an understnding of physics other than plugging and chugging than you need calc.

But i agree algebra is a good basic need for math. More focus on understanding less on chugging and plugging.
>>
>>69067375
The problem is math is taught incorrectly in public schools. Every mathematician laments this fact, and has been trying to change it for years but due to common core cartel impossible to change.

They just teach you to be a human calculator through rote drilling, without ever teaching you how the math you're doing fits into the bigger picture.

If you want to actually understand what real math is read An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning by Eccles.

The reason kids fail algebra is because they are just shown magic and told to calculate it without it being explained. In the book "The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe" by Penrose, in the introduction he decries how fractions are taught in school. "A fraction is not a pie with a piece missing". He claims this and other bullshit peddled to us by common education core is the reason so many people hate math because they were never taught what real math is.
>>
wow just fuck your shit up
>>
>>69067375
They're half right. Algebra should be down-played. Discrete Mathematics should be pushed heavily, however.. which is intensely more complicated than Algebra.

The idea of proving your mathematical basis is important for people to grasp at a young age. Discrete math fuels pretty much all highly technical fields that they'll ever find employment in.
>>
>>69070086
like i said before, algebra is taught for the sake of teaching algebra. No one is ever taught how to use it effectively. Its like repeatedly writing down words from a dictionary over and over again without learning how to speak the language.

thats why it fails so much, and why no one really cares about it. shit curriculum in shit schools
>>
>>69070327
i can confirm this

kill me
>>
File: 1367634040042.jpg (106 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1367634040042.jpg
106 KB, 720x960
Not even (most) engineers actually do that kind of math. It's pretty useless.
>>
>>69070523
>STEM degrees are difficult subjects
They necessarily should be.
>>
>>69070621
>The reason kids fail algebra is because they are just shown magic and told to calculate it without it being explained.
Absolutely. they never bring tangible reasoning to what Algebra represents. How Algebra is just deductive reasoning for math.
>>
PhD in chemistry here. I am a synthetic polymer chemist. All you need is an understanding of the scientific method, how atoms fuckin work, and the basic understanding of physics. I never do any math save for minor arithmetic and just understanding what happens when you shove shit into denominators and numerators. But then again I hate math and materials and synthetic chemistry are as far as you can get from it while still being hard science.
>>
>>69070385
You mean its taught just to pass a test where people actually have no idea how to apply it out of pluggung and chugging?
>>
>>69067375
So nigs and other minorities can't pass algebra? When are these white liberals going to realize that minorities are dragging down public education stats?
>>
>>69070523
Organic Chemistry is a fucking joke. Inorganic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry are a fucking nightmare. I'm still not sure how I passed those classes, as I had no idea what I was doing and still don't
>>
>>69070536
Literally idiocracy tier.
>What I don't understand is useless and gay.
Have fun managing shit (literally shit) while other countries overtake you in technology in the coming years (something that is already well under way IMO).

The only reason why you guys are not 30 years behind in tech is because of French/German/Poo in the loo engineer coming over to save your asses. Have a lot at the names on the apple payroll and count (if you can) how many Amerifats are really working in R&D.
>>
>>69070441
how can you not use the fact that if you have a group of order G of which p is a prime factor then there exists a sylow p-subroup of G in your everyday life???

Thats what the retards in this thread should be complaining about. Until you study rings and modules or galois theory or representation theory you are just a low iq nigger afaik
>>
I have an 18 gallon gas tank.
I drove 300 miles on half a tank.
What is my gas mileage?

Algebra. Deal with it.
>>
>>69070523
Hah fucking chumps. Our EE and CS departments had a mandatory 20% failure rate.
>>
If you do not understand (y - 3)2 = 4y - 12, you do not possess "basic number sense".
>>
>>69067375
>failing basic algebra
oh come on niggers, I could even understand something like algebra 2, but fucking ninth grade algebra?
>>
>>69070621
What math subjects does that book cover? The one you recommended?
>>
>>69070590
True, you need to understand calc, but for some reason it didn't feel as hard as a calc test, so maybe I didn't notice when I used it at that point. I guess I associate trig with algebra because it's always part of pre-calc. Frankly, I think a person is pretty deficient if they can't do, or at least understand trig concepts.

Most people could stop at this point, and maybe just be given an overview of the whole point of calculus, which is pretty simple, just so they know what it is if they ever decide to study it.

They say great athletes make shitty coaches. I think this is what happens with most math teachers. Few people that teach math know what it's like to simply not get some math concept. They're bad teachers because they were always too good at the subject.
>>
>>69067817
Nigger, physics is much harder than calculus. Calculus is fairly easy if you put enough time. You dont even need a professor to learn it, just need a good textbook.

On the other hand, physics (electromagnetism for example) fucks my brains out and I can barely learn anything by heart without going to lectures or watching videos.
>>
>>69070902
10,000,000 miles per gallon
>>
>>69069878
dawg calc ab is easier than pre cal
you fucked up
>>
>>69067375
how the fuck does someone fail math in high school? i guarantee its because they're too lazy to do homework
>>
>>69067375
It's funny because I actually dropped out due to math dragging on, I'm in remedial math now in college after getting a GED.
>>
File: itsonlyamatteroftime.gif (3 MB, 230x173) Image search: [Google]
itsonlyamatteroftime.gif
3 MB, 230x173
>>69070780
>>
File: 1458851285494.jpg (39 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1458851285494.jpg
39 KB, 450x450
>>69070881
At least i earn a comfortable living with my job, cancuck. Enjoy that college debt and your shit economy.
>>
File: lena-katina.jpg (174 KB, 838x1379) Image search: [Google]
lena-katina.jpg
174 KB, 838x1379
>be me
>have degree in computer science
>have job doing actual programming
>nothing super advanced, just business software
>had to take a bunch of higher level algebra/calc/etc for my degree
>have never used anything more complicated than a = b(x-y) type stuff
>the math I learned by 6th grade was sufficient

Basic algebra seems like a must, but quadratics, all that simplifying, calc.... I doubt even 1% of adults use that shit in real life.
>>
>>69070902

google says 16.666666667. gimme my A
>>
>>69070817
Not even during physical chemistry?
>>
>>69071202
>Basic algebra seems like a must

This.
>>
>>69067862
this.
>>
>>69070780
You're kidding right?
>Sees flag
Oh. Can Peruvian engineers even figure out how to make bridges made of wood?
>>
>>69071084

Exactly! I will lower the price 1,000 dollars for your new 10,000,000 mpg car.
>>
File: 1362947979373.gif (1022 KB, 277x193) Image search: [Google]
1362947979373.gif
1022 KB, 277x193
Classes that we've taken in school and never use in day-to-day life that can be removed from the curriculum altogether:
>Algebra
>Literature
>History
>Art
>Music
>Spanish
>Health
>Gym
>>
>>69067375
this is retarded. Maybe instead of getting rid of high level, useful STEM skills, we could get rid of fucking mandatory literature classes.
Please tell me what worthwhile career includes a necessary knowlege of "rhetorical analysis"
>>
>>69067375
Just get rid of compulsory education, universal schooling is unnatural.
>>
File: nice meme.png (41 KB, 577x436) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.png
41 KB, 577x436
who discrete here
>>
>>69071233
>half a tank
>>
>>69071202
Congrats on having a code monkey job. Pajeet will be coming soon.
>>
>>69071022
This is a very salient point.

Most people become disenfranchised with math at the university level because a lot of the profs are TERRIBLE teachers. They are brilliant reaserchers and minds but just have no idea to teach a lower level course. I majored in math and until the upper level years the teaching was just god awful because they cannot relate at all.

Similarly in highschool the teaching is awful too, but for a different reason. In highschool most the teachers have never studied math at all and are just retarded, and they are bad for that reason.
>>
>>69070124
>Most local CC do offer free college if you have a HS degree from that area though.
what planet do you live on?
>>
>>69070664
I use Linear Algebra every single day where I work developing for GPUs. I learned from "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler which explains everything you will ever need to know in order to solve puzzles, build graphics, manipulate graphics, and build transforms to compress sound/data.

I also use analysis every single day on said transforms, which I learned from "A course in pure mathematics" by Hardy and Baby Rudin.
>>
>>69068892
Not sure if they qualify as a modern human
>>
>>69071338
Miserable. Never again.
>>
>>69067375
You mean geomtry is the most worthless fucking thing unless you end being and engineer.
>>
>>69071351

that question wasn't written in a fair manner. i demand an A anyway, or i'll say you molested me
>>
>>69067817
Differentiation is easy, integration can go fuck itself
>>
>>69067375
One in five Americans doesn't graduate high school? Despite it being so ridiculously easy and almost impossible to fail? You can literally not show up or do much of anything and get a high school degree in the US!

What a silly, silly country.
>>
File: 1426786033414.jpg (75 KB, 655x606) Image search: [Google]
1426786033414.jpg
75 KB, 655x606
>tfw passed high school algebra 2 because I cheated my ass off

My friend stole a copy of the exam from the classroom during lunch about a week before finals. For some retarded reason they didn't make multiple versions of it. We paid an Asian kid $10 to solve the problems and give us all the answers. Then we saved the answers in a program on our calculators. I purposely missed a few questions so the teacher wouldn't get suspicious, but I got a 94% and it raised my grade from F to C-.
>>
>>69067375
I could understand if nigs were too dumb for calculus or even precalculus

but fucking 9th grade algebra? I'm border line retarded at math and even I could do it. What the fuck is the point of a diploma if you come out of the system mathematically and linguistically illiterate?
>>
>>69071202
>Not using discrete mathematics & algorithms on a daily basis to formulate efficient solutions.

Good luck with your future my nig.
>>
File: 1452107260074.jpg (21 KB, 440x314) Image search: [Google]
1452107260074.jpg
21 KB, 440x314
I struggled with math all through highschool. I was one of those fags who though HURR DURR I WILL NEVER USE / NEED THIS ETC.

Anyways u went to university and got interested in business, which turned to finance (the art of money). Somewhere in my 3rd year, the math part of my brain finally woke up and all math became super easy.

I graduated and got a job as an analyst, I then used ALGEBRA and logic functions to do lots of extremely useful and powerful things with data. I was promoted in a few months, I got into programming and data querying, got promoted again....

2 years ago I was in a warehouse making 10.50 am hour hauling my ass stocking boxes out of shipping containers in the blistering heat or freezing cold

Today i work in my own air conditioned office with a nice chair, triple monitor and I get to build and run data analysis programs. I am paid 34$ an hour for 40 hours a week and I actually work maybe 7 hours a week.

I have friends still working at McDonald's for min wage while I get paid triple to do a fraction of the work.

I will say that algebra is a huge part of my processes and the reason for my massive shift in lifestyle.

Thanks algebra
>>
>>69067488
I paid an Asian friend to do it for me. B+
>>
>>69071456

just wait. in 5 years high school algebra will be mid level college math
>>
>>69071517
You got fucking ripped off.
>>
File: 1406580908444.jpg (7 KB, 255x220) Image search: [Google]
1406580908444.jpg
7 KB, 255x220
>>69071300
Yeah man engineers sure do the math manually, lets pretend the computers don't make all the calculations and pretty much all the work.
>mfw retarded americans
>>
>>69071517

what kind of asian? was it a brown asian? you don't let them do math. go find yourself a sleepy asian
>>
>>69071422
o-ok
>>
>>69071361
not if god king trump has anything to say about it
>>
>>69071245
Physical chemistry one consisted of thermodynamics. If you understand how heat works and flows and the heats of reactions and rates your solid. The relationships come naturally and you plug in to the already derived equations. Pchem two is essentially all quantum mechanics. If you drink, you will do well. Not much math except for concepts like particle in a box. I just memorized equation derivations for exams and never did it on my own nor gave a shit to.
>>
>>69070086
compared to shit like literature classes, algebra is infinitely more useful/applicable IRL.
Yea, sure, its likely most jobs don't require it, but most jobs don't require a fair chunk of what is taught in high school. With that argument, we might as well have trade schools like europe/russia
>>
>>69071389
mynigga.jpeg

Why is it all the canada bros in these threads are always good at math and the amerifats are too retarded to do grade 3 math?

If you like the book by axler and do anlysis try "finite dimensional vector spaces" by halmos, the section on analysis on vector spaces is great.

also introductory function analysis by kresyzig and vector space optimization for luenberger may be profitable to read for those topics
>>
>>69071639
When I say Pajeet will be coming soon I don't mean physically. He can do your job in India just fine, right next to the designated street.
>>
>math is hard meme
>>
>>69071430
At my university, EVERY calc. student had to pass (70%+) a computer administered, 10-question, NO calculator, practicum test for both Calc 1 and 2. It was not averaged into your final grade, but if you couldn't pass it, the best you could earn for a final grade was a C. You could take it as many times as you need until you passed up until like a week before final exams.
>>
>>69070108
US public high schools are shit on average but they have the highest ranked universities in the world. Also, the US pulls many more graduates from other countries than other countries pull US graduates. There's not much reason to care about public schools. There's a general understanding that the kids who want something will try and learn it themselves.

You have to remember that there are shitloads of niggers and mexicans who could not give less of a shit about their grades, and that the high achievers either try to get into specialized public high schools or go to private school.

I'm not saying there aren't any dumbass white kids, I personally knew a ton while I was going to school. The way it works here is that math is mandatory for three years of high school and science is mandatory for two, meaning math/science courses are optional in Grade 12, but universities require those grade 12 math/science credits for admission, so if you're a stupid white kid who discontinued studying math or science bam, you can't even apply to study a STEM subject (or even some business subjects like finance or accounting) at a university here.
>>
File: gallwise.jpg (30 KB, 220x284) Image search: [Google]
gallwise.jpg
30 KB, 220x284
>>69071725
I take it you have a degree in mathematics then?
>>
>>69071389
Linear is heavy in the AI and graphics processing fields.

Not so much in other fields of computing. I find myself doing discrete & algorithms on a nearly consistent basis outside of bullshit "there's no way to fuck this routine up" scenarios.

However, if you're "developing GPUs," you know damn well you're using algorithms and logic minimization... btw totally calling bullshit. You don't develop "GPUs" from purely linear algebra but heavy understanding of computer organization, parallel computing, digital systems, etc etc. When you get down to useful instructions, maybe you get into linear algebra.. but I'd be worshiping the almighty K-Map way before Linear Algebra if I were "designing GPUs"
>>
>>69071741
How does a calculator help you do calculus?
>>
>>69071721
pajeets from india cant actually do the job, anyone who actually works in the industry will tell you this

they take the jobs that only extremely unqualified people could possibly hope to get
>>
>>69071445
Fun fact, I (canadian) lived in Alabama for 3 years. From grades 7 to 10. I went to the public school which was full of bugs, since im mostly brown gook, I blend in with the minorities.

Anyways the shit was a fucking joke, the kickef is when my family moved back to canada, I was not prepared at ALL for grade 11. I was literally retarded compared to my colleagues. The American grade 11 is like the Canadian grade 9. No lie I had to take summer courses go avoid being put into special ed because the American system made me so fucking stupid.

I know the USA is more state / private school based, but Alabama is FUCKED UP. No wonder Canadians are such superior shitposters, they have such better education.
>>
File: 1418267184620.png (236 KB, 449x499) Image search: [Google]
1418267184620.png
236 KB, 449x499
>>69071374
Texas.

Wait is that not a thing where you're from?
>>
File: 1458988919681.jpg (42 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
1458988919681.jpg
42 KB, 800x587
>>69071055
I'll fight you. I took advanced and college Calculus and Physics in high school.

Physics - 98%
Calculus - 77%

>tfw my teacher says to get out our cofunctions list
>>
I have only ever found a use for basic algebra

that being said, the more advanced forms of it should still be taught, and I fucking loathe math.
>>
>>69071880
some calculators can do integration and differentiation
>>
>>69071657
Also should note I liked Pchem two more than one. I hate thermodynamics. Quantum mechanics is where it's at. Dem tunneling, triplet/singlet concepts. Far more practical for electronic and materials chemistry.
>>
>>69070902

No one has answered my question yet.
>>
File: sadijk.jpg (39 KB, 224x317) Image search: [Google]
sadijk.jpg
39 KB, 224x317
>people actually hating math
where did it all go so wrong?
>>
>>69071604
>The computer just KNOWS math
Nigger if you don't even know what a plausible answer looks like, you can't just punch shit into Wolfram and expect to get the right answer.
>>
It took me 5 years to finally pass linear algebra. no one should give up or ask to remove it from the curriculum

you just have to try harder
sometimes shitty professors are the problem as well
>>
>>69069474
IT'S NOT LIKE THAT'S AN IMPORTANT SUBJECT TO KNOW TO UNDERSTAND ALL THE POLITICAL DRIVEL THE MEDIA CONSTANTLY DUMPS ON US.

Yes, I am slightly upset.
>>
>>69072009
That's not the point. In the real world, you are never going to get a problem like "integrate this".
>>
If you cannot pass 9th grade algebra you should NOT be legally allowed to

* own a gun
* drive a car
* watch after children
>>
>>69071880
Some graphing calculators do derivatives and integrals. I should have specified that the tests were ONLY random banks of hand solved derivative and integrals respectively. It wasn't that hard if you actually studied, but there were always at least 4 genuinely challenging problems in the bank out of 10.
>>
>>69072049
>>
>>69072009
With caveats. Multivariable calculus still throws calculators for a loop.
>>
>>69071892
Shouldn't have come to the land of opportunity if you didn't plan on staying, maplegooknigger.
>>
File: 1449861018641.gif (971 KB, 460x275) Image search: [Google]
1449861018641.gif
971 KB, 460x275
>>69067375
>>69067488
>have no problem with highschool math.

>finally reach senior year
>algebra kicks my ass
>counselor is surprised why I am good in every other class except algebra
>I have more than 1.5x the credits needed to graduate
>I quit my algebra class
>graduate
>fast forward to college
>in college algebra
>I fucking don't know what's going on anymore
>I pass every other class even calculous but algebra fucks my shit up senpai
>quit algebra class.

Fuck algebra.
>>
>>69072057
not everyone likes math
>>69072101
this, Algebra 1 is piss fucking easy, even my stupid ass got an A in it.
>>
>>69071152
I have 0 dept because the Quebec education model is free, looser. I got a master in Applied science and bachelor physic's Eng. without having to get a single dime in loans (did work my ass off however) and earn close to 100k a year doing fun R&D work for a big tech firm. I actually have 2 patents underway in my name and travel all over the US and EU to meet potential clients. So fuck off shit mover.
>>
>>69072049
600/18 u clown
>>
I wanted to go back to college to get an EE degree. Fuck all that math.
>>
>>69072142
where are your unit family
>>
>>69071338
taking that next semester i think
>>69071361
kek. CS is one of the easiest fields to find work in immediately after graduation
>>69071517
>>69071451
>proud to be an american
>>
>>69072142

finish your number. it doesn't count if its not all there
>>
>>69072097
Yes you do. Sometimes you need to understand how to integrate areas under curves as it tells you pretty important shit.
>>
>>69071927
What constitutes as "advanced" calc and physics?

Calc was easy. Physics you actually have to thing things through. You have to set up the problem, not just solve it.
>>
Daughter of Zion is lying crying in the mist
Morning light slips in, shifting through the darkness
>>
>>69071831
yes actually
>>
>>69067375
Math is essentially logic in the form of numbers. It makes sense that liberals want to remove it from schools.
>>
File: sweaty_pepe.jpg (8 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
sweaty_pepe.jpg
8 KB, 250x236
>>69072074

>tfw algebra professor was a super-FOB chink
Shouldn't be allowed to teach if none of your students can understand a word you're saying
>>
>>69072192
>taking that next semester i think
discrete can cover a lot of shit, any specifics?
>>
>>69069218
The philosophy class i had to take had a textbook. There were algebra chapters in the book for logic.
>>
>>69072134
Does the calculator just spit a number out, or can it do indefinite integrals?
>>
>Queens College

OH GOD

BASED HUNTER PLS GTFO
>>
>>69067375
and people wonder why our kids are getting more and more retarded.
>>
>>69071338
I bought Knuth's Concrete Mathematics after I graduated to keep solving problems and reading. I think the topic is fascinating
>>
File: no ignorabimus.jpg (15 KB, 363x450) Image search: [Google]
no ignorabimus.jpg
15 KB, 363x450
>>69072227
feels good man
>>
>Implying what is taught today in American High Schools is not a condensed down and uninteresting mess that fails to teach even one basic concept of Algebra to anyone not gifted at mathematics.

We need a teaching reform. It's obvious what's being teached an how it's teached are a wrong combination. Then again, I'm just a Sophomore World History teacher. I may not know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>69072188
I'm not touching imperial units
>>
>>69070902

33.33mpg
>>
>>69070384
>tfw live in miami
>>69072257
>being this retarded
>>
>>69070979
How math actually works, how to write proofs, it will teach you how to think logically like a mathematician.

You will discover how to use precision in your everyday language too. Every student should read Eccle's book.

MIT has a bunch of applied and theoretical math courses online free http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-005-highlights-of-calculus-spring-2010/highlights_of_calculus/ plus you can get any texts from Library Genesis
>>
File: lynchgriffin.jpg (27 KB, 325x500) Image search: [Google]
lynchgriffin.jpg
27 KB, 325x500
>>69067375
its called studying niggers

https://soundcloud.com/couchtruthing/demon-nigger-69
>>
>>69069477

That's complete bullshit. Learning algebra is not about the specific equations or examples you do, it is probably the only introduction to critical thinking and abstract reasoning a high school student in America will get. The problem isn't algebra, the problem is the incompetent idiots teaching it and the complete failure of the school system. Students enter high school already so far behind so it looks like everything falls apart in their first algebra class.

The lower level schools tend to pass anyone regardless of their ability so once they high school or university it becomes apparent that they can't do the work but that's not where the problem starts.
>>
>>69071604
If you're a bridge engineer and you don't understand something like influence lines, then what good are you other than a useful idiot that can use a computer? Engineers need to understand fundamentals in order to properly apply them in advanced situations. If computers doing calculations did all the work, then Engineers wouldn't have a job.
>>
>>69072180

That's creative.

I did 300/9.
>>
>>69072257
Some can do both
>>
>>69072207
People failing Physics isn't because physics is hard, it's because they fail to understand calculus and the problems its intended to solve.

Physics asks calculus problems without telling you what tools you need to fix it. Physics is the closest thing to problems you see in real life on the job. Where you're posed a question, but you have no idea which tool to use to solve it.
>>
>>69072257
I think TI-89s do indefinite integrals and algebra.
TI-83s do definite.
>>
>>69067375

Honestly I have to agree with the libtards here.

I was a straight-A student and graduated with honors, plowed through math and had no problem, but have I ever needed to solve for x in the real world?

Nope, and I'll never have to. And I don't have some dead end pizza box mario land guido job either.
>>
>>69072266
>tfw my state is voting to remove common core in November
smartest state about to get smarter
common core was a fucking massive mistake
>>
>>69069477
>let's make all students suffer from not knowing basic math because it's too hard for niggers

By the time you decide realistically that you want to be an engineer, it is way too late to learn algebra
>>
>>69072289

world history eh? gimme a run down. was my favorite class in high school because the teacher was smoking hot
>>
>>69067792
Taxes and mortgages can be taught by parents. But auto/mechanical repair classes mite b cool.
>>
>>69072168
>100k a year
>in maple dollars

LMFAO what is that? 50k in freedom dollars?? Aka real money??

Fuck forgot my proxy
>>
File: 5 hour nope.jpg (48 KB, 986x839) Image search: [Google]
5 hour nope.jpg
48 KB, 986x839
>love algebra/calc
>read OP
FUCKING TRIGGERED
>>
>>69072338
Absolutely, all the tools in the world don't mean shit if you don't know how to use them to solve your problem.
>>
>>69067375
>One out of 5 young Americans does not graduate from high school

Holy shit.
>>
>>69072472
i'd skip this thread then
>>
>>69072445
Most adults don't know anything about personal finance. Like half of burgers are in credit card debt.
>>
>>69067375
>>69069826
>>69069477
>>69069324
Nigger mathematics is the language of the universe. Everyone should be able to know at least some of it so when a scientist is explaining something to them they can at least barely fucking grasp it.
>>
>>69072509
>niggers make up 14% of the population
>spics the same amount
nah m8, it makes sense
>>
I wish they came to this conclusion before I had to go through high school, I failed algebra like 2 fucking times in middle school and again in high school, always had to catch up. I did great in geometry, wish I could have done the more advanced math.
>>
>>69067375
>number of students not able to do basic algebra goes up over time
>number of 3rd world immigrants to the USA also increases at the same time

hmmm
>>
Also, I almost failed Algebra II back in the day, so I may be mathematically retarded, but is the answer to the question in OP's quote y = 4/9?
>>
>>69071463
Most of what I do is basically just querying database for things matching some kind of criteria then either updating some other db or generating a report. There's very little calculating and then it's mostly just totaling something or calculating a simple average or percentage.

That's pretty much what most business software does, we're calculating taxes and tallying up sales figures not building physics engines.
>>
>>69072391

I am not a historian so why the fuck did I have to learn history?
>>
>>69072509

4 out of 5 young Americans are our niggers
>>
>>69067488
What does it feel like to be retarded?
>>
>>69072560
>>69072579
jesus guys
youre making us look bad
>>
>>69072377
Calculus isn't required for all physics. Beginner physics is still considered hard and you don't even need calculus to solve it.
>>
>>69068589

Fuck, even a lot of social science uses algebra. I have no problem with incorporating more stats into high school math, but I don't know how the fuck you're going to do that without any algebra.
>>
>>69072560
You can't do geometry without algebra you fuckwit. Unless your "geometry" class was just >is this shape a triangle or a rectangle?
>>
>>69067375
This dude is retarded. Algebra is piss easy and also completely necessary.
>>
>>69072397
All history teachers are hot. Mine had big tits I would stare at all day
>>
>>69069477
I use algebra daily
>>
>>69072557
>>69072611
the graduation rate for whites is 85%

aka still shit
>>
>>69072469
Are you retard? I still spend it in maple dollars, so to me, where I live its actually much more then 100k US dollaridoo because the cost of living is not through the roof like in most places I could do my work in the US. I actually turned down a 160k job at apple this year because I ended up poorer living in the US with that much money then what I do now. Also I did want to put up with all the amerifats around in California.
>>
>>69072584
What I just heard
>I'm a new hire code monkey that's working on a well-structured existing project. I just write queries and connect the wires from the front-end to the server. The hardest thing I have to do is make sure the query params are validated

Good luck kiddo.
>>
>>69070086
>expecting 11 year olds to make a choice to become an engineer or not
Conversely
>highschoolers who decide to take the math are now on a elementary level
>>
>>69072655
What? I took Algebra I 9th year and it was easy as fuck. Algebra II sucked though.
>>
File: 1341464580355.jpg (66 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1341464580355.jpg
66 KB, 640x480
>>69072207
Calculus was complete horseshit for me. I understood the basic premise, what with the whole integration thing, but applied Calc and Calc 2 kicked my ass. Physics was easy as shit, you just set the equation up, plug the numbers, and use basic Algebra to let it go. I loved the EleMag section, since resistance, pathing, and fields were simple shit.

The hardest thing for my in physics was when we had to determine exactly where a football would land, including wind resistance vectors into it, adjusting the parabolic arc, and then doing it again using the Moon's gravity constant.
>>
>>69072591

For two reasons.

1. Those who don't learn it are doomed to repeat it.
2. It has a relevance in daily life. Get out of your basement and go interact with people and history will come up commonly, but will you ever hear a bunch of people discussing mathematics unless they're math majors, mad scientists, or autistic? Nope.
>>
>>69072168
Well that's impressive ill admit, but i used to work in the oil field though since the Arabs started flooding the market with oil i was laid off. I made a safe 90k a year and thankfully my sub normal upbringing taught me to save my money. Now i work as a sanitation engineer making a safe 80k a year with land about 70 acres of land in texas with extended family helping to set up a ranch.
overall I'd take that over any fancy IT job, especially when cancucks can work it.
>>
>>69072737
why do we allow people to even drop out?
Dropping out should be a crime
>>
>>69072246
My algebra teacher, too.
Mr. Pham.

Dude would staple fast food applications to graded tests that were Cs or lower.
>>
>>69072659
I never took beginner physics. I can't comment.
>>
I tutored algebra at a community college level and it still amazes me how little some kids know. Granted most were niggers on the football teams and such but still.

Also one of them had the audacity to steal my calculus book out of my backpack while I was tutoring their dumb asses.

Fucking niggers man.
>>
I love the idea that we can create two separate classes. In many ways we have already started. One will have critical thinking skills and have some idea of how things work. The other will be morons who think everything works through some sort of magic.
>>
Statistics is an even worse option. Teach finance and accounting in schools. There's no reason for a high schooler to graduate without knowing how to open a bank account, how credit works or how to balance their funds.
>>
>>69072511
Yeah this thread is triggering me.

There are people in this thread that think algebra is unnecessary and useless. Or that a computer can fix everything
>>
>>69067375

This is actually a step in the right direction. Who would have guessed?

Alegbra is absolutely useless. It sometimes even holds legitimately intelligent people back from graduating, not just dindus. It should be taught in high schools for people in a math stream, but it shouldn't be mandatory for graduation.

There should also be a class about anime tiddies.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.