[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do liberals seem so smug? I ask because I genuinely do not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
File: Benjamin-Franklin.jpg (29 KB, 412x411) Image search: [Google]
Benjamin-Franklin.jpg
29 KB, 412x411
Why do liberals seem so smug?

I ask because I genuinely do not know. When I listen to them debate, or make jokes about conservatives, I just get this feeling that they are smug as hell, disgustingly so. And yet I cannot put my finger on it, as to why. I was hoping some people here could perhaps help me understand why I feel this way.
>>
>>75232333
Because to them political opinions are a way to market themselves. When they talk, it's not about policy, it's about them.

Their relationship to a policy is the same as their relationship with a brand. It signals something about who they are and what they stand for. Liberal want to market themselves as sophisticated, intellectual, worldly, etc.

They'll talk about their favorite politician the same way they used to talk about their apple product.

"It's just so much better. Apple actually used to build their own CPU blablablabla". They can then present themselves as this "discerning customer" capable of perceiving qualities hidden to the rest of the world. It makes them feel better than other people.

"I fucking hate republican. Can't they see X-Y-Z that I myself can see because I'm so A-B-C etc."
>>
>I'm the most open minded person you'll ever meet!
>as long as you see everything my way
>>
>>75232705
1st reply best reply
>>
>>75232333
>333

you cheeky bastard
>>
>>75232705
This pretty much sums it up, senpai. It's like how faggots define themselves almost solely by their sexuality; liberals define themselves almost based solely on their political ideas and the politicians that line up with it.

They don't put pussy on a pedestal, they put politics up there.
>>
File: smug.gif (1 MB, 262x293) Image search: [Google]
smug.gif
1 MB, 262x293
>>75232333
Smug digits.
>>
File: 1447139290872.jpg (252 KB, 1500x1147) Image search: [Google]
1447139290872.jpg
252 KB, 1500x1147
>>75232705
fpbp
Feeds into liberal's inferiority complex. Liberals see successful men, successful businesses, successful civilizations, and covet them so much that instead of building themselves up they choose to tear others down.

This is why liberals feel the need to use collective force, or believe in collective power over individual power to solve problems. They see themselves as weak and helpless and so surrender to the collective.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>75232333
Because it's really all they have going for them.
>>
>>75232705
10/10
saved
>>
File: 1408603401451.jpg (54 KB, 290x270) Image search: [Google]
1408603401451.jpg
54 KB, 290x270
>>75232705
holy shit you're right
>>
>>75232705
Flawless
>>
>>75232935
>75232935
who painted that
>>
>>75232333
I have a feeling everyone north of New York in North England is so up in their asses that they are eating their own farts, South Park style.
>>
>>75232333
The first reply is pretty much correct, but most conservatives do exactly the same. For most people, being a liberal or a conservative is part of their identity, not a position that they've carefully examined and decided upon. You notice it more in whatever group you oppose the more.
>>
>>75233138
what is reverse image search

>Jean-Eugène Buland - Bonheur des parents (1903)
>>
It's the liberal tactic where their beliefs are infallible and any idea to the contrary is laughable. Liberals hold ideas but they never test them, they never look at two views with objectivity to determine which is more worthy.

This is why the "because it's 2016" and "are you kidding me?" represent the liberal mind so well. They are actually shocked that anybody would hold a view other than their own.
>>
>>75233138
Jean-Eugene Buland
>>
>>75232705
I read an academic book in college that focused solely on political branding, and I can tell you right now that you are absolutely right.
>>
>>75232333
they think they have a moral highground and that it is good enough for an argument
>>
>>75232811
> liberals are bad because they define themselves solely on political identity

> posts on pol

U wut m8
>>
>>75232935
Then is collectivist nationalism the natural result of liberals tearing down conservative success for so long that they actually destroy it?
>>
>Dunning-Kruger Effect

The dumber you are, the less you are able to evaluate your own intelligence.
They are confident because they are not intelligent enough to fathom that they might not know everything.
>>
>>75233334
on /pol/ people are here usually because they've considered their opinions and decided they believe the stuff they post. That's why a lot of us hate liberals and cuckservatives, because both are incapable of critical self-reflection and are just liberal/cuckservative because that's what they were raised in/were taught in uni.
>>
File: 286_murrow_intro.jpg (17 KB, 286x250) Image search: [Google]
286_murrow_intro.jpg
17 KB, 286x250
>Why do liberals seem so smug?
Because you've never been inside a Midwestern church. There's a certain level of smugness that comes with anyone who's openly talking about their political views as if everyone else gives a flying fuck.

Smuggest fuck I know is a pastor.
>>
>>75232333
>Why do liberals seem so smug?

They have been consistently, consistently reinforced by the same narratives to the point of making it out to be straight good v. bad narratives in some cases.
>>
>>75232705
This. People replace achievements with identity and popular opinions.
>>
>>75232333
Is this benjamin telling me to check these digits ?
>>
Read "The Smug Style in American Liberalism" by Emmit Rensin.
>>
>>75233334
/pol/ is an anonymous board and therefore branding is impossible on this platform. This is one of the best thing about anonymity.
>>
>>75232333
Because that is how they were taught it by television. Not even kidding
>>
File: 4 times the kek.jpg (26 KB, 457x480) Image search: [Google]
4 times the kek.jpg
26 KB, 457x480
>>75232333
>>
>>75233489
>Incapable of critical self-reflection
That's a concise and excellent way to describe them.

I think the most vocal liberals (the militant ones on facebook and at protests) are usually the lowest common denominator in terms of social status. The left's narrative gives them a false feeling of importance that the left can exploit. On the other hand Trump (may he rise to eternal glory) also appealed to the lowest common denominator to win the nomination, but he's not a frothing retard-communist, and I think will succeed in gaining the moderates' votes.
>>
File: Untitled.png (206 KB, 484x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
206 KB, 484x768
They always get so mad
>>
File: 1393705837850.jpg (39 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1393705837850.jpg
39 KB, 512x512
>>75232705
>>
Why are libtards so smug?

>More and more people are becoming left wing with each passing year
>Degeneracy is rising while traditional values are being discarded and destroyed by the masses
>The left is slowly winning ground on every political front
>Dissent is increasingly being dubbed 'hate speech' which is illegal in most of the world

They're smug because they're winning the cultural war, and they're going to get the 'liberal utopia' that they've always wanted.
>>
File: tmp_11352-superman-17402966.png (497 KB, 479x611) Image search: [Google]
tmp_11352-superman-17402966.png
497 KB, 479x611
>>75233207
I think the overarching problem in politics and society in general is that we've become so polarized in our line of thinking that we get upset at the idea that someone disagrees with us.

We're falling into these traps of US vs. THEM mentalities where we have to conform our identities and political opinions based on the group we choose to hang out with (right or left).

I think we need to remember that we need to be united as a people, not divided over this petty social bullshit. All memos aside, most people aren't racists and would gladly get along with any reasonable person.

We just need to start working together to build a better government, a better society, and a better future. And that starts where we both sides, left and right, can agree on issues.

I think that's why we see Nationalism on a slow and steady rise. We want to work together, and working in the interests of our nation as a people is an easy and visible way of sticking together.

So yes, the extreme left should be put down. But don't forget most people on the left are regular people who were just swayed in that direction for one reason or another.
>>
>>75232333
because they're on the right side of history :^)
>>
>>75232333
I'm a Democrat. This is a HUGE problem for Democrats. It's one of the reasons we can't find common ground: we're too condescending when we talk politics.
>>
>>75234124
That's not polarization, that's what happens to discourse given Rousseau's return to childhood. I take for granted that almost no one agrees with me and it never bothers me. Leftists need to enforce conformity precisely because they think reality is dictated by the Herd all clapping hands together in time.
>>
>>75234124
>All memos aside, most people aren't racists
All memes aside, most people here aren't racists and would gladly get along with any reasonable person, regardless of race creed or color*****

I need sleep

>where we both sides
where both sides
>>
>>75232333
Nice trips.

It's because they suffer from a number of mental disorders. Narcissism, sociopathy, paranoia, delusions of grandeur, etc.
>>
>>75233236
Democrats largely get their news from comedians. Conservatives tend to get theirs from talk radio hosts. Humor vs. Anger in a way.
>>
File: 1425345707207.jpg (104 KB, 740x740) Image search: [Google]
1425345707207.jpg
104 KB, 740x740
>>75232705
Fuckin' saved
That's the best explanation I've ever read
>>
>>75234270
>Leftists need to enforce conformity precisely because they think reality is dictated by the Herd all clapping hands together in time.
I'll certainly give you that, but I think know we're a little at fault for it too, but nowhere near as bad.

I still think polarization is a problem however. It's just observations I've been making in general. People are too reactionary and emotional at opposition. I think a few moments of processing everything would help a lot.
>>
File: image.gif (490 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
490 KB, 500x211
>>75232333
>>
>>75233334
I have voted for the Conservatives and the NDP in the last ten years.
>>
>>75234124
I forgot where I heard this but somebody once said that conservatives need liberals so society doesn't stagnate but liberals need conservatives to not let their whimsical fantasies run the country into the ground. Something like that. The former doesn't sound too bad if you don't have to deal with outside influence/pressure.
>>
>>75232333
Your own shit never smells as bad as someone else's, anon. Which is not to say that liberals don't also have a beam in their eye. But removing theirs ain't your business.
>>
>>75232935
then how do you explain successful people who are also liberal. There are plenty of them, just look at San Francisco.

I feel part of it is they feel they are better than others so they need to protect them or treat them like children (welfare).
>>
It stems from their pseudo intellectualism.
>>
>>75232333
Liberals think conservatives are evil. They believe that everything they do, whether it be the policies they vote for, the places they shop from, and the activities they participate in, are benefitting society, in all forms. Because they can't imagine a well-adjusted person supporting any sort of conservative policy or agenda or place of business(like chick-fil-a), they see conservatives as vile disgusting sociopaths. Literal scum of the earth.

But it's almost like they're projecting.

For example, I know two progressive guys who love Bernie. We were talking about shows and comedy was brought up. They were gushing over liberal blue pilled comedy programs on Comedy Central and adult swim. I brought up King of the Hill and they both were disgusted and dismissed it as being "unfunny and lame". I know why they thought this, they just never wanted to admit the reasoning why; the show revolves around conservative/center-right family And characters getting into mischief while having a message to take away from it and the end of each program. But because they think conservatives are vile, they couldn't sympathize with the characters. so ultimately they couldn't enjoy the show, because they don't see conservatives as anything other than monsters not to be sympathized with
>>
>>75232333
Basically there are two important ideas of liberal (by it I mean liberals in US) worldview: reason and progress. The former is fetishized and perverted to the point many of them believe all their political ideas are scientifically proven to be true and come from rational thinking, while opposing ideas are just products of emotion and superstition. The second one is nothing different than Marxian "historic inevitability"; they see history as a linear set of more and more liberal ideas implemented, with opposition doomed to fail.

To sum up, your average liberal (not necessarily consciously) believes that his ideas are objectively correct and their implementation is unstoppable, while people with opposing views are just irrational maniacs who can't even see they are bound to eventually fail. How could anyone not be smug with such worldview?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.