[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Darkroom General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_8926.jpg (299 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8926.jpg
299 KB, 1600x1067
Post prints.
Discuss technique.
>>
File: sink1.jpg (153 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sink1.jpg
153 KB, 800x600
What sort of technique are you looking for?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera ModelNexus 5X
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.10
Sensing MethodUnknown
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:03:02 19:26:48
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating177
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.67 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width800
Image Height600
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2782891
I recently got to use my university photography societies darkroom and it was a mess, after cleaning up the enlarger and setting some stuff up... I noticed that the carrier tray has two glass plates holding the negatives in place, and they are held in place using flimsy clips, it would take one idiot to knock them out, and smash them, rendering them usless.

A new carrier costs like 120£, and who's bright idea was it to use glass pane carriers? They are fucking dust magnets...

>tfw eternal war with dust
>no compressed air
>Fix is crystallizing, committee too lazy to buy more...
>no ventilation, stew in fumes all day
>No music, develop in silence
>no qt gf rubbing her bum against me as I help her set up her picture

The pain is real.
>>
>>2782924

Pics of darkroom?
>>
>>2782924
I shat my pants
>>
>>2782924

>Be me
>Volunteer running a photographic society at Uni
>Be responsible for the darkroom
>Spend lots of my valuable free time cleaning the darkroom, maintaining gear, and generally sorting the place out
>Try to make the best of legacy equipment, keep it working, and not waste too much of the limited and small budget the society gets
>Some new members complain and moan like fuck over tiny things
>They're shit beginners but behave like they're developing a roll of film more valuable than Ropert Capa's D-Day landing films
>I ignore this and spend lots of my free time teaching beginners how to work in the darkroom
>Make it real easy for them but they still fuck up the chemicals. Try to overlook it, we were all beginners once
>Occasional moaning cunt behaves like the society is lazy for not restocking chemicals quicker than a multinational logistics company
>Moaning cunt think a small society should provide them with free compressed air, endless chemicals to fuck up, modern equipements....
>Moaning cunt wants the society to provide free C-41 and E-6 kits for them to waste (usually for meme shit like lomography cross processing bollocks thereby trashing the chemicals for everyone)
>Even get ask why we don't provide free film! Do you think we're National fucking Geographic?
>Try to explain we don't charge darkroom fees so providing this stuff = money but they are too stupid to grasp that concept
>Above all, try to stay positive and make the darkroom a great learning environment...
>But then organize an introduction training session and people turn up without even bringing a roll of film to develop.
>HowcanIeven?.jpg
>Feel like giving up. This shit is a drain on my time. I could be working on my own stuff.
>Think positive thoughts: maybe one day I can say that I taught an amazing photographer how to work with film. That would be enough reward.
>Go to darkroom one day
>See some negatives hanging to dry.......
>>
>>2783507

>See some negatives hanging to dry.......

>iamgoingtobesoproud.jpg
>Exam the negatives
>Poorly developed. Poorly exposed. Shitsnaps. As in lomo level shitsnaps.
>Darkroom is a mess
>Chems are fucked up.... again
>>
>>2782989
Just like any other darkroom, sorry but I have to be a little discrete with these things.

>>2783507
I'm >>2782924 and I feel lucky that no one gives a fuck about film in my society...

The president is a complete nut-job that has no idea about photography and instead shills stupid sponsors and promotions to the members. He got approached by some popcorn company to flog their product, he had the balls to make competitions where people had to take the "best pictures" of bags of popcorn, to win... bags of popcorn... Essentially free product photography. But that is the tip of the iceberg.

I remember before I cleaned out the Darkroom, I had to be "inducted" to use it. Okay. I got there, and the Darkroom secretary is doing something - developing negatives. She seems a bit flustered and annoyed, I notice that her entire roll is blank. To cut a long story short - she used the fucking PAPER dev instead of film dev to get her negatives. And the cherry on top was that she started to argue with me about it, saying that it's developer and somehow couldn't understand in her thick skull that it's actually a completely different chemical.
The final blow was that I realised that SHE was the one supposed to be training me... I got a little impatient after 5 minutes of being explained what the 3 trays are used for and that water can be used to wash stuff. Fuck me.

Anyway... I got the place running and it was actually functional and awesome. I found an old patterson wash tray and hooked that bad boy up. I made some sweet prints, although with the aforementioned dust getting everywhere.

I really wanted to MAKE THE DARKROOM GREAT AGAIN, but it's swamped with morons that have zero common sense. OK, I admit I'm a labfag and work in an actual laboratory full time, but asking questions instead of just plugging along seems to be more sensible.

I have created a dark space and a patterson tank at my house so I can develop my negs.
>>
>>2783562
I mean I HAVE a patterson tank...

Also... If you have access to buy chemicals, make some Pyrocat-HD, it's easy to make, and cheap as fuck.
>>
Question:

How long can I keep working strength solutions of the developer and fixer? The spec sheet for Ilford Multigrade developer states that a 1+9 solution is good for 24 hours, but I don't want to pour out one liter of developer after doing five prints (which is about as much as I can do in one day). Will the developer last for a week if I keep it in a fridge in an airtight bottle?
>>
>>2783776
That's weird, dev can keep for a few months as long as its:

- Filled right to the top, and airtight (minimizing air mixing.
- In a Black Bottle container
- In a cool / dark room.

keeping it this way will make it last for ages.
>>
Strange, we have a perfectly equipped and maintained dark-room. People visiting it are nice and talented, if we want anything we can buy it. I guess I'm quite lucky.
>>
>>2784007
Several questions:

- Is it at a uni?
- is it a part of a society/group?
- is it funded by members only?
>>
File: IMG_8935.jpg (258 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8935.jpg
258 KB, 1200x800
>>
Has anyone here ever worked with underexposed, thin negatives? Like, in a situation where you can't reshoot a scene and have to get a print from the thin negs?
>>
>>2786292

>UNDEREXPOSE
>OVERDEVELOP
>>
>>2786292
Well, when I experimented to get tones from litho film I found out its possible to scan ludicrously thin negatives and still get an image. The problem is that every fault which is normally invisible gets amplified with the faint image.
>>
File: 0597_s.jpg (57 KB, 750x594) Image search: [Google]
0597_s.jpg
57 KB, 750x594
>>2786383 (Underdeveloped litho film.)
>>
>>2786383
I have the neg's scans, the detail's there and the contrast easily adjustable.
I'm asking, in the darkroom thread, about actual enlarger prints.

>>2786293
won't that result in losing even more detail in shadows?
>>
>>2786292
Yeah, I had a situation once where a friend's cat died, and I wanted to give them a print of their favourite photo.
Unfortunately, it was just a 'get the roll out of the camera' snapshit at the time, and I heavily under exposed, because I was at f1.4 and 1/15 already, and I knew scanning could drag it back.
Basically, >>2786293 knows whats up.
I found I got the best result (on Ilford Multigrade) without using a contrast filter, and making a really brief exposure (like 15secs at f11?), and just leaving it to develop for 5 minutes or so.
The problem isn't so much "losing detail in the shadows", but building up enough contrast to tell the highlights and the shadows apart.
Without using something toxic like a mercury intensifier, or something that's a total pain in the ass like a lith film internegative, a reasonably low contrast but still acceptable image is the best you can hope for.
Also, you don't use a contrast filter, because you want both layers of the paper's emulsion to register exposure and contribute to building the image. In extreme situations like this, using a magenta filter will actually give you less contrast.
>>
>>2782891
is that the potato famine memorial in Dublin?
>>
>>2787583
It's the memorial the victims of communism in Prague.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.