[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying a camera from a pawn shop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: pawnamerica.jpg (56 KB, 500x533) Image search: [Google]
pawnamerica.jpg
56 KB, 500x533
This is a terrible idea. Pawn shops have NO idea about camera equipment, especially when you start asking specifics like "what's the shutter count?". Today I was at Pawn America in Green Bay, they had a Nikon D7000 with an 18-55 VR kit lens, the whole thing was priced at $329 plus tax. I was super tempted to buy it, and I almost did, until I popped the lens off and locked the mirror open and saw a HUGE stain on the sensor, like someone had dropped coffee or some dark brown liquid directly onto the sensor. I didn't take a picture, though I should have, but it looked something like the attached image.

I told the girl who was helping me in plain English "This camera is junk, I'm not interested". Her response was typical: "We test all of the cameras before we buy them, if it's for sale, it works".

How do you deal with buying cameras and equipment secondhand? Do you take a chance on something, or do you spend a bit more and just buy directly from a reputable dealer? I've had mixed results in the past - I took a gamble on a Nikon D40 with an 18-55 VR kit lens for $110, got it home and the shutter count was 46,600 (about 92% of its expected shutter life). I also purchased a 105mm NIKKOR AI-S lens for $15 from the same pawn shop and it's one of my favorite lenses for macro and closeup work.

Do you have any pawn shop horror stories or fantastic finds? I'd love to hear them ^_^
>>
>>2880004
k
>>
Just buy from KEH, retard.
>>
>>2880004
Test how?
>>
>>2880004
you could probably clean off a stained sensor with a methanol kit, if they had a refund policy I might have tried it
>>
>>2880095
>buy fucked camera
>I'll just try to clean it
>ah fuck no its just a fucked camera
>try to return it
>hey this camera is fucked we test every camera that comes in and it was working fine
>get completely and utterly cu.cked by the pawn shop

Buying used is for c.ucks and poorfags, have some dignity guys.
>>
Pawn shops are a risk. In the UK they are usually terrible but occasionally you get lucky. My best find was in a camera bag I paid £5 for. In the base was a hidden pocket with a mint condition Pentax SMC-A 50mm F1.4 complete with caps. Sold it a week later on ebay for £80.
>>
>>2880312
>Pentax A 50/1.4
>sold it
You're an idiot.
>>
>>2880004
I generally don't have too many issues with pawn shops, I just research what I'm buying beforehand and as in this case research the problem and how easily it can be fixed.

Not exactly related but I bought a PS4 for $150 because it wouldn't read discs. After removing the bottom rubber foot it was sound as a pound. Ultimately though the asking price has to be worth having something that in the worst case scenario is nigga-rigged to work proper.
>>
>>2880004
That stain was probably just on the hotmirror, which can be replaced. (or removed entirely if you want an IR cam :^) If you feel like gambling and doing a little self repair, you could take a picture just to make sure it actually does technically work, and fix it yourself.

otherwise, just do this >>2880010
>>
>I'd love to hear them ^_^
:D
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.